• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do so many people hate pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Rocket Boss Lewis

Rocket Executive
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2010
    Sorry if someone else rote this (i didn't read all of them), but probably because they have seen the t.v. show and thought it was stupid (witch it kinda is), so they think the games are too.

WonderGirl

Bye bye :(
    Years
    I would like to disagree with some folks and say I don't think it's the anime but rather the card game that caused the stigma with Pokemon. The first thing I usually hear when I tell someone I play Pokemon is: "Oh you mean that dumb card game for kids?". Most people I've talked to didn't even know there was a video game. I think this comes from the fact that in my neck of the woods, most kids were running around school playing the card game. Heck, even I looked down on people playing the card game because I was a Magic the Gathering snob.

Im not that sure. Many people don't even know the TCG exists (neither the video games) so I still think it's the anime. But I guess it's too late to make a spin-off.

Nichola

Secretly Psychic
    Years
    My friends think I'm an immature freak (however they're the ones throwing litter around at lunch) but it won't stop me playing. I got Soul Silver today and I got looks from people all over, and I just don't care. I'm happy :)

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    My friends think I'm an immature freak (however they're the ones throwing litter around at lunch) but it won't stop me playing. I got Soul Silver today and I got looks from people all over, and I just don't care. I'm happy :)

Yeah, they're REAL mature for not playing Pokemon, as they're throwing garbage everywhere ;)

As for the people I know, I'm actually not too sure how many of them even played the 1st or 2nd Gens. They might just be completely stranded from the entire franchise, rather than "outgrowing" it. Besides, with so many little critters to collect, the fun doesn't stop very fast.

I stopped for a few years, but then decided to take it up again just a few months ago. I don't care what others think. Although, I didn't stop because I was embarassed: I stopped because I lost interest. So, I guess I've never really been afraid to admit I'm a Pokefan.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    I guess some people just havn't grew up with Poke'mon like we have (you are all awesome <3). =P But! People need to think about other's feelings first. I mean, I don't even tell my friends I like it incase they say something, which would seriously upset me (yes, I'm sensitive). ='(

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2014
    I'm not picked on for being a Pokemon fan.....in fact, I got one of my friends to buy SoulSilver the other day, and he hasn't gotten a Pokemon game since the original Silver version! I also pretty much out-Pokenerded (not a word, I know) a kid in my wood shop class, who thinks he knows everything about Pokemon (the same kid who had a fake Pokemon game, and said Absol was from the 2nd generation. X_X). One of my other classmates randomly decided to ask the teacher if he ever played Pokemon (he said no, but it would have been cool if he said yes).

Anyway, I don't remember ever being picked on for playing it.....mainly because so many people I know have played/still play it.

As for why other people hate it, I think it's a combination of the childish anime, and the fact that it was part of people's childhoods. =)

Bob2424

Bob is a pokeman trainer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2010
    I also get bullied, that's why I shut up about it now :/ but I think it's because they only see Pokemon as a baby-ish cartoon because they don't know about the video games. It's actually the anime's fault >.> or the people themselves for not knowing how great the games are.
    I agree.I think its the anime because everyone used to watch pokemon when they were kids.now that they have grown, they feel immature to have anything associated with something they did as kids.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    There's nothing wrong with playing Pokemon at my school. There were so many kids who bought HeartGold or SoulSilver when it was released that some of us stopped each other and had a battle.

It's really "retro" and "old-school" at my school. No one really have a problem with someone playing Pokemon, unless if it is one of those jerks who like to criticize about everyone.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Because the anime is the worst, most childish, most horrible, worst anime from a game ever.

I actually got really surprised at school the other day because this really "gangster" guy was playing Pokémon with his "gangster" friends.

Raibutai

Pixels and Pikachus. Bliss.
    Years
    Personally, I'm not too much of a huge fan of the newer generations: 3rd and 4th.

Yes, I'm a Johtotard. More of a Kantotard, though.

Still off-topic: Well, I really don't take anything people say seriously. If they make fun of D/P/Pt, I could care less. If they make fun of R/S/E, I could also care less.

When they tread upon the sacred ground that are R/B/Y and G/S/C (including remakes), I begin to get angry.

And then I'm made fun of, but yeah.

Finally on-topic: Personally, I think that most people making fun of Pokemon are in the past. Why, at our nearby high school, Pokemon is EVERYWHERE again. Those who dis Pokemon think that it's still "cool" to do so, although it's not, really.

Why am I writing so much? Maybe it's a topic I'm all too familiar with.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2010
    Good to know lol i usually dont tell random people that i play pokemon not even my classmates lol but there was this girl who saw me playing it and she said wow those things are soooo cute what are they and i just stared, salute, than left lmao she was tottaly confused but i think she got ova it :) reply back thanx battlegirlrangergirl

good to know lol personally i wouldnt tell a random person in school walking in the hallway that i play pokemon or even my classmates. friends idk :P but there was this one girl who saw me playing it and she said awww those things are sooo cute what is it? and i just stared, saluted, and walked away how yea like that lol reply back biiii battlegirl/rangergirl <3

Last edited:

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    I don't agree that people who make fun of Pokemon are mature at all. They probably like Pokemon but they won't admit it because they want to fit in with other people, or they just want to have a weird label such as Zombie lover or something like that. They don't really want to be thought of as a Pokemon fan or anything that is for kids. I don't really care. I have never been made fun of for Pokemon, and I have openly admitted in college to some new friends of mine that I play Pokemon and I have loved Pokemon since childhood, and most of them actually agree with me. Most people play the Pokemon games, believe it or not. More than half of the people who say they hate Pokemon run straight home and play it. They just want to look big and bad or something. I doubt that the majority of people who say they hate Pokemon actually hate Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I personally don't see what is childlike about capturing animals and making them fight to unconsciousness for the sake of sport, but... 'Tis part of growing up. Almost every 1st world child born in the early 90s was swept up by and into the fandom, but trends change and most of this world's fickle population will mindlessly follow them 'because everyone else is', because everyone else is guided by the ongoing marketing machine... in my country, before Pokemon it was Gogos, after it was Yu-Gi-Oh cards. I have no idea what compels people to then ridicule those who still enjoy 'last season's topic' but it seems akin to the whole valley girl mentality...

(Swastika is actually a Buddhist symbol and sanskrit symbol, though it was twisted in meaning by Nazi Germany)
    In the case of Nazi Germany, no. Along with use by almost every other ancient civilisation, it was a common design amongst Germanic peoples, usually at the centre of a larger 'sun wheel'. The NSDAP was about restoring Germany to its previous 'Germanic-ness' and the swastika was used to represent that, and quite aptly. No meanings were twisted by the Nazis themselves, only outsiders' perceptions were.

Last edited:

dalaniir

Arcanine Trainer
    Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Nov 8, 2011
    haha my friends are actually kinda the opposite. the group of people who i hang out with (which are like the scene ravers) all like pokemon so yeah.. haha

Years
    Mature games for mature gamers, ect.
    Take a look at how many little kids are on xbox live screaming with their pre-pubescent voice how they had sexual relations with your mother. The number is staggeringly high. Now look at the people older than... let's say 17 who play Pokemon. And that's not even counting the people who never say anything yet have a pokewalker in their pocket during their work day.
    How can someone say a game is too childish? What makes a game childish? Simplicity? Colorfullness? Does a game need to be entirely brown to be considered mature? If it doesn't have guns is it childish? I find nothing childish about monsters fighting. Hell, Michael Vic was sent to prison for dog fighting, when he could have just played Pokemon.

LayZee_in_charge

Thinker....hmmm
    Years
    I definitely get kinda weird responses when people hear I like Pokemon(since generation one ladies and gents! lol), but I dont care what people think to be honest. I think because Pokemon was SO huge when it came out, everyone liked it regardless, even those that don't like it now. They probably didn't like it then, they just pretended to because it was cool. Now, it's not considered 'cool' anymore, so they can pick on those who really do like it, now and then. Make sense? *isn't sure when babble becomes incoherent*

I love Pokemon. Always will. I just send evil glares to people who are like "Pkmn?WTFn00b!". Besides, I hate Twilight, and will tell anyone so. .

makes 100% sense...no lie......i remeber in like 1999 when i wuz still in grade school i used to love that 1st generation and i still do today for sum reason it stuck with me especailly red blue yellow and gold....i can't really say anythin else you hit the nail on the head...stole the wordz right outta my mouth.....

Ev Trainer X

Your average insane gamer
    Years
    The more I read this thread, the more I admire everyone here. I honestly think most people base it entirely on that childish and pathetic excuse for an anime.

Seriously, pokemon is awesome, and anyone who thinks otherwise, well, too bad for them.

Aril

Arcanine Breeder
    Years
    No i don't. (Im 17). But that's because the friends i have also like pokemon :]

I remember the first day HeartGold came out, everyone was like waiting to run down to the store when it opened and buy it lol, and the PokeWalker thing? We ran up and down the stairs on the school for fun lol. Can't wait to wear it in the next Gym (P.E or whatever you call it) class^^.

Anyways, i think it's because it have gotten that kiddie status, and most of the childish anime episodes with all the "cute" and "fluffy" pokemon is the reason behind it. Another reason is because most people liked the first two generations, and started disliking it after that i guess.

Aquerex

A New Beggining
    Years
    Most of the people I know that don't like Pokemon used to like it when they were younger.

Maybe it's because others think Pokemon is too cartoonish (as if)

I can almost guarantee that If others gave Pokemon a chance, they'd be hooked in no time.
    :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back