• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do so many people hate pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Lol, people in my school (England, where nobody cares about pokemon AT ALL) found the Year 7s were making a pokemon club, and it was obvious they laugh at it.

Although, they actually laughed coz all the people did were trade cards, whereas we all had a DS/Lite/i in our pockets, complete with a game, even though nobody admitted it.

So, pokemon's like (rudey pics nd vids, lol), everybody watchs/plays, but nobody admits it

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2020
    I play Pokemon still, and my friends at work know it (I'm 22). Nobody takes the mick or anything, and one even brought his old Ruby in to play after I inspired him to pick it up again. Others don't play it but they still maintain an interest in the new games and stuff when I talk about them. I'm not at school so I guess people are more mature and just see it as another thing somebody enjoys.

Lieutenant Unstable

Camelot Castaway
    Years
    I definitely get kinda weird responses when people hear I like Pokemon(since generation one ladies and gents! lol), but I dont care what people think to be honest. I think because Pokemon was SO huge when it came out, everyone liked it regardless, even those that don't like it now. They probably didn't like it then, they just pretended to because it was cool. Now, it's not considered 'cool' anymore, so they can pick on those who really do like it, now and then. Make sense? *isn't sure when babble becomes incoherent*

It's not always like that, though. I'm 17 and I use a Gengar backpack as a purse. The other day I was in the Movie Gallery looking around and I heard this woman say "Oh my God, that is SO cool!". I just ignored her, until I realised she was talking to me. She was atleast in her late twenties, shopping with her boyfriend and her little girl, and she stopped me and said "I freaking LOVE your purse!" and she got her bf to come look at it. He was older than her and was like "Oh, Gengar! That is awesome! Where did you get it?!" So I thought that was awesome.

I love Pokemon. Always will. I just send evil glares to people who are like "Pkmn?WTFn00b!". Besides, I hate Twilight, and will tell anyone so. And THAT gets rubbed in my face so much, its not even funny.

Years
    I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't get made fun of. Go me! I guess its just the age group im in, at most unis i don't think people have enough time to care about what other people do.
    You're not alone. I don't get anything from anyone either. So...go us? hah! =)

But as for responding to the question, I think it isn't as much as people hate it for what it is as for what it represents. Pokemon was apart of a lot of people's childhoods. People associate it with being a child, and equally as many people think it's much cooler to be grown up. They are fearful of being represented as childish in any way. It's sad, but that's what I think it is. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just like what you like and don't worry about people judging you because their opinions hardly matter.

Snooki Polizzi

I'm no guido. I'm a guidette.
    Years
    be true to yoselves, pokemon is the best. don't waste your time caring about what others think, people hate pokemon cuz they just jealous.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2010
    People in the university don't really same to care what I do. And due to the heavy counterculture influence in my high school it was considered awesome to like pokemon. Naturally there are always those select few who wish to be difficult, but I've been lucky enough to only overhear them.

dutchmuffin77

...not dutch
    Years
    most people that make fun of pokemon have never even played the game before so really
    most of them dont even know what they are talking about when they say those things

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    If it wasn't for the show and cards, people wouldn't think it's so kiddish. I mean really, the games are the best, and I'm sure, like others said, a lot of people play them but they don't let others know they do.

Adri-chan

What the fruit?
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 28, 2012
    If something is popular, there's bound to be haters out there. Pokemon is no exception. On the bright side, guys tell me that girls who play Pokemon are hot. I was flattered and more than a little embarrassed. I've never got a compliment like that before. Kudos to all you guys for keeping the franchise alive.

CrashSmAshley

Ace Trainer
    Years
    People seem confused when I tell them I play pokemon. I don't get this whole "OMG girl gamer thing". I'm a pokenerd and proud.

MASTERBOSSgodora

The Songbird of My Generation
    Years
    It's too hard for most gamers. Remembering what moves all 493 pokemon learn and at what level they evolve. So they stick to simpler stuff, like GTA (which is still awesome).

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
    The anime made it look kiddie. I just saw a HG/SS ad, the little kids, using the cuter kinds of pokemon, didn't help. Lots of people played it as kids, and as they grew up they forgot about it. But I've decided to start expressing my pokemon love again. I have a skitty key chain on my school bag (most people don't realize it's a pokemon lol) and have just put some figurines and pokemon pictures on display in my room. My friends will see it when they come over.
    Honestly, I get teased anyway. I just don't even care (The guy who usually does the teasing? not many people like him, because his a ******* ********). I'm sure my friends won't mind, and if they do, well they were a waste of my time! I don't think its that bad in our school, last year one of the super cool guys was having a laugh with his friends about how he played pokemon on some website all weekend. And when we were supposed to be watching a movie in the computer lab, a girl (who is pretty cool, but not really my friend) was playing a sapphire ROM. I was like "Omg awesome!"
    I mean, if I'm part of the "popular group" (don't worry we're nice-except that guy who teases me I was talking about). If I start braving up and making pokemon look cool, I might get old fans to enjoy it again.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I'm popular (send me back to the ditch) and I love Pokémon. I'm a dying breed, only 4 people (counting me) claim to have the new game.

Everyone hates it because they are too "mature" to play it.

Years
    I would like to disagree with some folks and say I don't think it's the anime but rather the card game that caused the stigma with Pokemon. The first thing I usually hear when I tell someone I play Pokemon is: "Oh you mean that dumb card game for kids?". Most people I've talked to didn't even know there was a video game. I think this comes from the fact that in my neck of the woods, most kids were running around school playing the card game. Heck, even I looked down on people playing the card game because I was a Magic the Gathering snob.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back