• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do so many pokemon now...

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2010
    why do they look like cyborgs, especially the legendaries? Jeez, its like they're turning to yugioh cards or something. Is it just me? Because generation 5/4/3 all have the same thing going on. It's like they were manufactured from a factory.

I really don't think pokemon should have anything at all which resembles machinery.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    I think the main factor is the fact that Pokemon is trying to keep with the modern times. Like any franchise, it has to keep with the constant change of the world unless it'll be left behind. This prompts the designers to go about Pokemon in a different way from the 'originals' - Generation I and II.

For example, Mewtwo was a more human-like Pokemon. Although it was artificially generated, it was still able to talk (in the anime) and it could walk like a human. Fast forward to Generation III where we have Pokemon like Deoxys. It was a DNA Pokemon and, in my opinion, similar to Mewtwo. However, it didn't have the same human-like features that Mewtwo retained because the modern times show that artificially created Pokemon don't have to have human-like features, as they are artificial. Not human. The same thing applies to Pokemon such as Diagla, Palkia and Heatran. They are based on what we see as modern creations. Nothing is simple anymore in the world of modern desiign. I think the main factor is that designers are going through the mentality of "Pokemon have to look like robots to keep up with the rest of the world" when, to be honest, they don't have to.

InfernoHo-Oh

has returned
    Years
    They are still all Pokemon. So what if they look like cyborgs?
    Do you think if they kept with the original 251/151, would there be more games?
    I enjoy the new Pokemon, and some still look like animals. Zigzagoon, Chillarmy, and Bidoof all look like animals. There are still tons of them that look like animals, but Pokemon are based off many things! Mythical creatures, for one, animals, robots too, humans, etc etc.

Years
    I do agree that some of the pokemon look like machines or weird monsters, but if they didn't do different pokemon and more modern looking pokemon, the series would have ended after Gen II or Gen III.

Peach Fresca

Underrated Pokémon Fanatic
    Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2010
    There are a lot of Sinnoh / Hoenn Pokémon I like, but I think you're a bit right about the legendaries; I wasn't very impressed with Palkia and Dialga. I don't think they all look like cyborgs however.

Charmander_004

I love Pokémon and Charmander
    Years
    You know I kinda sorta agree with you, some pokemon specially since the third or fourth gen have started to have a pretty wierd looking. At first i thought that the three regis looked very wierd, but then after I played the game like 5 times, i got used to them i like them, in fact its safe for me to say that i like all pokemon up to the third gen. When the fourth gen appeard, i thought they were the wierdest. But I remembered what happend with the third gen, and i said to me: unless i play the fourth gen games, i'll never get used to them. Now I have seen the complete dex and i guess I'm starting to get used to them, and some of them look pretty cool to me now, but I guess its all about that, to play the game, capture them, train them and getting fond of them, plus if you watch the anime besides the games, you'll like them a lot faster, if you like the anime of course. And if we look back to the first gen, some of them look very wierd too, like weezing, magneton, jinx, grimer... So i guess its all about that.
    (SPOIL warning)Now with the fifth gen I gotta admit some of them look very wierd or exagerated, I saw a pokemon that looks just like (SPOIL!!!!!!!) an egyptian coffin, i was like WHAT?! I mean i hope they dont put an eiffel tower pokemon or terracota statue, whatever... Lets just hope they are still pokemon but its hard to imagine how it will interact or look in the anime, its kinda worrying.
    But maybe its like i said you just gotta get used to them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I think the main factor is the fact that Pokemon is trying to keep with the modern times. Like any franchise, it has to keep with the constant change of the world unless it'll be left behind. This prompts the designers to go about Pokemon in a different way from the 'originals' - Generation I and II.
    I read that by generation III most of the original team that worked on the earlier generations were no longer doing Pokemon. Different staff bringing different design ethics, simples.

I think Zakrom makes a good example of the 'cyborg' thing, it looks like it should be a Metal Gear, not a Pokemon.

Last edited:

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I think Palkia, Rayquaza and Groudon all like like cyborg machines. Groudon looks likke it is made from lego, Rayquaza looks like a coiled machine dragon and palkia looks like a statue. None of them look like pokemon to me.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    I think Mewtwo looks like a cyborg machine. He looks like a half-human half-robot mutant and doesn't look like a Pokémon to me.
    Why don't they go back to the good old Pokémon designs, like Darkrai.

Years
    I've always chuckled at the fact people complain about 'cyborg' looking pokemon that occur later...

Magnemite, Magneton, Voltorb, Electrode, Steelix, Skarmory, Staryu, Starmie, Rhydon, Mr. Mime, Porygon, Porygon 2, and Zapdos, all look "robotic" to me. The only difference is that legendary design looks more robotic. On a pokemon-to-pokemon level, I think most of the generations are equal.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    why do they look like cyborgs, especially the legendaries? Jeez, its like they're turning to yugioh cards or something.
    I've never heard comparison to Yu-Gi-Oh before. It's always been Digimon.

Is it just me? Because generation 5/4/3 all have the same thing going on. It's like they were manufactured from a factory.
    If you wanna get metaphorical, yes they are. Made to facilitate income on the part of the designers/producers. However, only Pokemon whose evolution lines start in Gen 1 are stated to be the result of a factory or something similar. Funny, ne?

I really don't think pokemon should have anything at all which resembles machinery.
    Magnemite, Magneton, Voltorb, Electrode, Porygon, Forretress, Steelix, and Skarmory. These are the Pokemon in Gens 1/2 that are strictly metallic/electronic in inspiration, I didn't even mention Mewtwo or the pollution Pokemon. Also Blastoise. And you know? As it goes on, while more Pokemon look "unnatural", they get less mechanical. So now what, guy?

It still feels like a trolling, though it's probably not.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
    THIS

Magnemite, Magneton, Voltorb, Electrode, Porygon, Forretress, Steelix, and Skarmory. These are the Pokemon in Gens 1/2 that are strictly metallic/electronic in inspiration, I didn't even mention Mewtwo or the pollution Pokemon. Also Blastoise. And you know? As it goes on, while more Pokemon look "unnatural", they get less mechanical. So now what, guy?
    Please, marry me.

THIS. THIS. This needs to be showcased on the front page or something. This needs to be PMed to every single person who agrees with this thread.

The only thing I could possibly disagree with is that Forretress is the complete opposite of "strictly metallic"--it is based on a bagworm, who take any material in the area and make a sort of "shell"--a natural phenomenon, not metallic based at all.

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2010
    I definitely think there is a place for metallic/electronic/mechanical/etc. Pokemon. Pokemon seem to have evolution abilities that adapt to their surroundings, (Eevee, for example, can evolve based on their environment or the time of day, while Slowpoke evolves when another Pokemon bites its tail.)

To me it makes sense that as the world becomes more modern and computerized, that Pokemon would adapt to this environment as well. Burmy's trash cloak is a perfect example of a Pokemon adapting to a human environment.

I would actually imagine Pokemon becoming more and more electronic as time went on, possibly even merging with machinery. (This is actually the theme of the ROM hack I'm working on.. >.>)

Years
    I would actually imagine Pokemon becoming more and more electronic as time went on, possibly even merging with machinery. (This is actually the theme of the ROM hack I'm working on.. >.>)

Aren't Voltorb and Electrode just possessed pokeballs? I know I read that somewhere...

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Never been confirmed...but possible, nonetheless. Yeah, actually, less of them become mechanical-based. Although the Protector, Electi/Magmarizer seem to be manufactured, by their appearance...the pokemon don't.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I hate threads like these... what are Pokemon supposed to look like ?,
    Their is no guidelines of what Pokemon are supposed to look like... if anything Yugioh monsters and Digimon,, there the one's who look like Pokemon

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    why do they look like cyborgs, especially the legendaries? Jeez, its like they're turning to yugioh cards or something. Is it just me? Because generation 5/4/3 all have the same thing going on. It's like they were manufactured from a factory.

Okay then, I can see that me saying much of anything, but I have a question. What should pokemon look like? Since you seem to like bashing Gen 3/4/5 for poor design, what SHOULD a pokemon look like? Tell me in your oh so obviously qualified opinion.

Frankly, I don't see... any of Gen V looking much like a cyborg. Yeah, Zekrom does, but that's the point with the thing. A bunch of Gen IV doesn't look like it either, at least to me, anyway. You have a point with Gen III, but I like them nonetheless.

And the last point. Who cares about what other people think on this? It may seem mean, but THIS IS A SUBJECTIVE MATTER. No one is going to have the exact same opinion as you. For example, I hate Manaphy. A lot. It's the only pokemon I hate. And yet, it has fans. My opinion doesn't map out the response of the entire fanbase. If it did, then Gen IV would be the most liked generation out there, and Raichu would be a lot more popular.

Can I call Ruined FOREVER vibes from this thread? Or maybe Unpleasable Fanbase? They Changed It Now It Sucks? Either way, there are shades of it in this thread. Can any tropers help me with this one?

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
    Tv Tropes

Well, for one, this is a case of https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanDumb.

While it doesn't show signs of Fan Dumb yet, I'm pretty sure this is a case of it, from experience. It always starts with the "why do pokemon change?" type complaints.

Yet almost all of, and some of the best examples of machinery-based pokemon are from gens 1 & 2.
    Magnemite and Voltorb, just to name a few. So, let me correct you're argument: you don't like the newer machines, but you're fine with the old.

And yeah, it's just you.

Last edited:
    Back