• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Why do you think Black and White has recieved so many bad remarks?

Galdr

ドラゴンのおうじ
    Years
    Hm, I think it has to do with the Pokemon and gameplay. Why BW didn't get received as well and having all these remarks about them is the replayability and post-game. I believe that's why. After Cynthia, Morimoto, the level-boosted trainers in the domes in Nimbasa City as well as having two rivals rebattle-able, yeah. Also, the Pokemon, even though they were detailed and creative, weren't pleasing to some people.

At first, I thought they looked stupid. The Pokemon, I mean. I saw Tepig and instantly fell in love with that thing. Who wouldn't want a bacon? But, when it evolves, it becomes Fire-Fight. This would be the third time the fire starters did this. Blaziken and Infernape are already those. I thought "shouldn't it be Fire/Ground instead? Pigs like to roll in mud, and the mud equivalent in Pokemon is Ground." Not only this, Emboar is the only dual type starter of the region.

I also thought the region design was dumb, too at first. Castelia City's port looked like a right hand, and it was just weird. I did my research and found out Unova was based off New York City, the US basically. This is the first time they based a region outside Japan. I think that's another reason why it was hated; it wasn't Japan-based. All the others were from actual Japan places, just either flipped, rotated or not.

Seeing Haxorus, I immediately remembered "Dragonite" because Dragonite was a dragon-type in Gen I that evolved so late. But, Hydreigon made me think about the game. A triple headed dragon? Who wouldn't like that?

Another thing, there's no Vs. Seeker. That item only made appearance in FRLG and DPPt; they should have brought it back because it would have been awesome to rebattle trainers you've already fought. I understand the game was like nostalgia, though they could have added at least that if they had the Vs. Recorder.

I personally like Black and White. I'm not saying it's the best because it lacked many things, but you can't please everyone. I also thought BW2 would finally have a Vs. Seeker--and I was wrong. I liked the animated sprites of the Pokemon, but after awhile, they were getting annoying. Too bad an option to turn them off wasn't made. The Battle Subway felt like a reminiscent of DP's Battle Tower. The Diving parts of the game weren't very exciting at all, it made me miss Hoenn. They also reused the 2D sprites ina 3D world. That's pretty boring, but if it worked, it worked.

I also thought they would return the Pokemon-tag-along like HGSS, but it didn't either. So, it has many flaws we can all point out and rant about until the day is done, but in the end, it won't change what BW is: a new approach. Perhaps in the future, they'll put in the Vs Seeker and everything else a Pokemon game should have. We just have to be patient.

So again, to reiterate, I like Black and White personally. I thought the designs were all right. I'm an old-time gamer and was one of those people who didn't accept BW when it was first coming out. However, I gave it a chance because I am a Pokemon fan. It turned out that I did like it, albeit there were some things I didn't like. It didn't stop me from fully enjoying the game, though. I even did this with Hoenn once, but once I got Sapphire, I immediately fell in love with it. So, I say the game should be given a chance before bashing it for what it doesn't have and praise it for what it is: a Pokemon game.

There's my two cents of this.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years

I also thought the region design was dumb, too at first. Castelia City's port looked like a right hand, and it was just weird. I did my research and found out Unova was based off New York City, the US basically. This is the first time they based a region outside Japan. I think that's another reason why it was hated; it wasn't Japan-based. All the others were from actual Japan places, just either flipped, rotated or not.

I actually liked the idea of a region outside of Japan. If you count sidegames, then it wasn't the first (Orre was based off of Phoenix, Arizona and I quite liked it). Personally, I thought that an Africa-based region would be cool (and it would work well with Pokemon like Cofagrigus), but a New York based region is still a decent idea. I just didn't like the horribly artificial-looking Pokeball island in the middle of the region.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
    In regard of the question, I think it's because of lack of post-game training. Not many non-Unova pokemon were available aside from the Dream World and, I might be wrong, but also lack of good movesets for the Unova Pokemon for competitive battling (which i still don't get the purpose). When I played it the first time, it was alright and I had a good team set-up too. The things I hate about B/W is that there are no non-Unova Pokemon in the normal Subway lines, and the Super line Subway Pokemon lacked good movesets and contained too many status-changing moves, which renders the Super Subway lines annoying and difficult to enjoy. B2/W2 will definitely change my views and ways of battling when the US version is released in October.

Years
    If a democratic country suddenly turned into a murderous dictator country, it's a complete U-turn in governing system which doesn't have any similarities to the previous governing system at all, so if people don't like the new government, it's understandable since it's totally different from the old one and that any reasons they give cannot be used to describe the old democratic government. Like I said, apart from the weird new characters, are there any solid reasons you nostalgic people give out? Here are some baseless excuses your camp gives:
    1. Gen 5 pokemon don't look like natural animals. Klink and Vanillish aren't natural animals. Jynx, Magnemite and Ditto are all natural animals I guess. And we have bats without eyes in real life eh?
    2. Gen 5 pokemon designs are lacklustre, too simple and are not creative enough. Klinks is just a gear with eyes. Diglett, Ditto, Voltorb. Nuff said.
    3. (Since they can't say Gen 5 pokemon are lacklustre in design) Gen 5 pokemon are overly creative and spoils the simplicity of pokemon. Please make up your mind guys. But still, Gyarados, Kangaskhan, even Feraligatr and the 3 dogs from gen 2 (whom are still considered original pokemon) are quite complex and creative designs.
    4. Gen 5 pokemon are fake copies of their predecessors, their design is copied from the older generations, like Woobat is a fake Zubat. So a Kabutops is a fake Scyther eh? An Oddish is a fake Bulbasaur? A Clefairy is a fake Jigglypuff (I seriously though both of them were related when I started playing pokemon)?
    5. Gen 5 pokemon don't look like pokemon. Contradiction from the top. Again, please make up your minds.
    6. I mean they look like digimon more than they look like pokemon! Blastoise doesn't look like a digimon I guess? Golem? And why does Agumon remind me of a Charmander without flames.
    7. Gen 5 pokemon should not be food. Vanillish is an ice cream, not a pokemon. Eggs are also food. Plus people like eating Farfetch'ds as well, therefore indirectly turning it into food.
    8. Gen 5 pokemon are too girlish compared to previous generations. I think we've already solved this lol.
    9. Woobat is a lousy pokemon compared to Zubat. Why compare 2 different things to each other? They were not meant to be the same. If we had a star pokemon which has the psychic ground type like Lunatone and Solrock, I bet you people will go: This is a fake staryu!
    10. No pokemon out of the original 151 are real pokemon! This is obviously a nostalgic statement. It's like saying you will never have another girlfriend after your girl ditches you. It's called not moving on.

Then after all the above were proven wrong, comes the ultimate superpower excuse: Pokemon is very subjective. We like the older generation for no reason at all. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. O_o

Basically, with pokemon being the main reason why people dislike gen 5, it's very obvious that they can't accept new pokemon. They might accept change in other parts of the game, but not the pokemon because they can see these pokemon and actually nurture them and have grown attached to them over the years.

So now for the non-pokemon design related reasons (note that this is not a reply to the person I quoted above because he/she only talked about pokemon designs):
    1. Metagame is the same. Well what other metagame changes do you want? The basic rule is do not fix anything that is not broken. If they did a change in the already great metagame and it ended up being lousy, you'll be here criticizing their metagame change and saying they should have stuck to the old metagame.
    2. Auto run is disabled. How hard is pressing a B button? Haven't the previous generations trained you all enough to hold down the B button automatically? It's understandable if you all started from HGSS though.
    3. Lack of postgame. GSC and HGSS are the only game with an actual post game that is long enough to be the game itself. Since game freak has only made other regions available only for Johto, then you all should understand it's kind of a Johto exclusive feature, and taking it away and putting it into other games would make every pokemon game seem the same. Plus BW (as I pointed out many times) actually has a bigger post game than RSE and RBGY.
    4. There are no pokemon following you! I didn't see everyone complain about every game after Pokemon Yellow because there was no Pikachu following you.
    5. The people don't look like people! They look like weird cosplayers! Okay, point taken. There is nothing left to rebut as I totally agree. Maybe the Japanese might be able to relate to this one since they have professors with shocking orange hair and maid cafes.

By the way, speaking about the boy character in BW and HGSS, in reply to HenkieDePost, Do you notice that the boy character in BW is closer to Ash, while the boy in HGSS has a hairstyle that is totally impossible to style in real life? Try wearing a cap and have a fringe that sticks out so well. You'll just get a tuff of hair stuck flat on your forehead. Sometimes I just feel that you're unlucky in picking examples, because you always pick the wrong ones where there are other more solid examples to give. Nevermind, can't blame you because you just played a small part of the game. Glad that you are giving BW2 a chance.

Sorry man, but you don't convince me at all. At first your post might look like solid and strong, but I urge you to take a look at it. Some things you said have never been said, you take two completely different post and merge them together, you think you can disprove opinions which have nothing to do with facts, but with personal preferences, and so on. I am going to try to tell you where you are right and where you are wrong.

Let's see your first point. You tell us that we said that Gen V pokemon do not look like animals, and then you give us some pokemon which indeed don't look like animals. I agree with this part. Pokemon doesn't have to look like animals, but your examples are not good comparisons to the examples given by the anti B and W community. Klink and Vanillish are pokemon which are almost entirely the objects they try to resemble. That's right, they resemble real life objects. Vanillish is almost truely an icecone, only with a face and Klink is a gear with a face. Magnemite and magneton might be of the similar concept, so in that way you are right, but with jynx and ditto you really are missing the point. Jynx and Ditto might not be based on animals, but they are not based on objects either, while Vanillish and Klink are truely just objects with a moveset. I understand your point, but the examples are just not very good chosen. The problem people have with these two, is that they are just objects with a face, not that they are not animal based.

Then about point 2 and 3, which I am going to review together. These two points are very weak, Why? You mix the posts of 2 users together and then act as if they have been written by the same person. You first point out that 'we' while only one poster has ever written this, think that the new pokemon are lacluster in design. Then you give examples of pokemon which are not very creative as well. That was a good thing, because they are indeed not creative. But then you suddenly say: since they can't say gen 5 pokemon are lacluster in design, they suddenly are overcreative.

What are you talking about man? I never said B and W pokemon are lacluster in design, but you suddenly use someone else's argument and make it seem that everyone who thinks B and W pokemon are not good first thought they were lacluster, and when they found it it didin't work they suddenly say they are overcreative. I am the only one who said anything about overcreative, while the other poster is the only one who said they were lacluster. And then suddenly you act like these two posts are written by the same person, and by everyone who dislikes B and W?. This renders your response on point 2 and 3 unreliable and irrelevant. Don't think that everyone who dislikes B and W went through this thinkingpattern and don't that the whole anti B and W community thinks the same. This is called overgeneralisation.

Then the part about their predecessors. I never said that the pokemon from B and W are "fake" copies of the pokemon from the generations before that. I never said they are fake, and I never said they are exact copies. Woobat has the same role of Zubat in the older generations. And that is a flying cave bat which you can only find in dark areas. It never had anything to do with types (although you keep saying that) and never had anything to do with names. It has to do with the role in the game. If you just think clear for a second, you can easily understand that the role of Woobat is almost exactly the same of Zubat. And if it comes down to the role in the game, I think zubat did a way better role than Woobat. Woobat does come of from a real life bat, but that doesn't mean that because it comes from a real animal it MUST be perfect for a pokemon game. I still stay with my point that Woobat just isn't a good design for a pokemon. I see this argument from the defenders alot. Emboar is based on a chinese sage, so you can't say that his design is bad. Otherwise you have no respect for his background. Woobat is based on a reallife bat, so you can't say that Woobat just doesn't fit in, because then you are practically denying that there is a real life bat which has a heart shaped nose. The background of these pokemon might be good, but that doesn't mean they look good in a pokemon game.

Furthermore, oddish and bulbasaur? Why do you keep saying that? I have said around 100 times now that the most important factor of comparing a pokemon to another one is the role in the game. Bulbasaur is a very rare starter, while oddish is just a weak grass pokemon. The role in the game is different, while the role of Woobat and Zubat is identical. They might look like each other, but that doesn't mean that we could also have had oddish as an starter while bulbasaur is terrorizing Ilex forest. Kabutops and Scyther might even be a worse example. Kabutops and Scyther are not only completely different in design, kabutops is also a thought to be extinct pokemon, while Scyther is just a ordinary bug pokemon. You wont even find them close to each other if Kabutops was a normal pokemon. The area would be extremely different, the role is extremely different and so on.

As for point 5, I never said they don't look like pokemon. Again, please don't use the words one poster might have used and put them here as: everyone who doesn't like B and W thinks this? I only used this argument as, they don't feel like pokemon to me in the end of my post, because I just can't 'connect' with them like I did with even the Gen IV pokemon. I think immersion is important in this game, but that is getting really hard if every five seconds you have to think: WTH IS THIS CREATURE?! That is by the way only my opinion, so please don't use it in your response as 'everyone who dislikes B and W thinks that the gen V pokemon are not feeling good.:'

I can't say much about point 6. I haver never heard someone saying this, and I think this is a quite silly argument. They still don't look like digimons ^^

I also never said anything about point 7, so I am not going to say anything about this one either.

About point 8, no, we have never solved this point, and that is the funny thing. First, how can you solve an opinion? Secondly, you were having trouble making a list of about 15 pokemon, while I could easily say alot of pokemon which looked extremely strange and fluffy. You also make it seem that we said ALL pokemon are fluffly. No, they are not. I have said numerous times that there are some cool pokemon, but it takes way to long to get them: Evolutions, Legendary or dragon. Your entire list was made with only these three kinds of pokemon. Please, name some pokemon then which are easy to get and look 'cool' ;p.(Except for RoggenRola and Sandile).

I think I have adressed this point already in my post, but I will say it again for you: Yes, their intention was for Woobat to replace Zubat. They HAVE THE SAME ROLE. It doesn't matter they don't have the same types, that argument has nothing to do with it. They are both designed to be the cave dwelling bat pokemon. And when it comes to that, I like zubat better. This argument of your's about Woobat is getting old, could you please stop using this in your rant? This could have easily fitted in with the fluffly pokemon argument.

I also never said anything about no pokemon following you, so I am going to leave this open. The same about 10. I liked every generation except this one, so this point doesn't involve me.

Then your conclusion. In the end, alot of points were proven incorrect. And that is the funny thing. First of all, you think you can prove opinions incorrect. If I say emboar looks bad, and you say emboar looks good, how can you PROVE that my opinion is incorrect? Half of your arguments don't even make sense, or are based on words people have never said, or combined sentences. Also, the ultimate conclusion about subjective pokemon is also a tad strange. This all comes back to the opinion part again. It is my opinion that I don't like the Gen V pokemon. We also give you argument after argument that we don't like the Gen V pokemon. You can't life with that and are defending yourself till the very end it seems, but the fact that our arguments don't even reach you because you put a steel shield around yourself does not mean that we suddenly only like the only generations for no reason at all. You just don't even care to take a look at our arguments it seems. That means that your conclusion is also incorrect. You got your comclusion to begin with only from my post. But I did not say we suddenly only like the older generation with no reason at all. I just said that we are entitled to our opinions, and the fact that I say in that post that I just like the older generation better doesn't mean I have no arguments. They have been said alot of times now, but whats the point of saying them over and over and over again while you don't listen?

About the non pokemon-design things, I have not much to say. I find most of those arguments silly as well. When it comes to the non pokemon side, this game is a fast improvement over the older ones. I really, really like the new battle system as an example. But about picking the wrong examples, I have one thing to say. My example wasn't even so bad. The guy from silver indeed did not have that 'strange' hair, but it would have been pretty hard for them to even give him strange hair. How is this going to look like on the map? Then about the guys from black and soulsilver. Although the guy from HGSS has somewhat impossible hair, it didn't look idiotic or extremely strange. If you see the guy from black you think: Dont they have a haircutter in the pokemon world, seriously? When I see him I really can't stop thinking about how hard he would have been pushed around if he was on my school. The guy from HGSS would probably not be the most popular kid, but atleast he didn't look so strange in comparison to the guy in black. It isn't only about the hair, it is about the general impression. The guy from HGSS did had fairly normal clothes to begin with. :P His hair isn't super strange either although it might be impossible. They guy from black has strange clothes, and even stranger hair, it looks really, really strange. That is my point.

I hope this is the conclusion to this debate. You might have had some good points, but there are also alot of arguments where you flat-out lose, mainly because of combining to posts together, or making false statements. Also overgeneralisation is a problem in your post. I also hope the mods will not delete this post. I try to stay as much on topic as possible, but I just have to respond to this post, although most of my post is about pokemon designs, again. I really try to let this be the last one mainly about pokemon designs, but I really feel I had to make this final post.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    So I think what we've got here is a bunch of nostalgia lovers, and a bunch of Unova lovers (both are fine, not saying anything bad) and both sides are trying to convince the others that they're right, that these Pokemon suck/are the same as the originals/etc etc. I used to dislike the designs, I admit, and tbh I still hate some of them, but something to think about is stop thinking of the entire thing like a group of Pokemon, so if you dislike a bunch you won't start hating on the entire group (gen 5), if that makes sense. (I'm more leaning towards the Unova lovers's side, but I can be persuaded either)

Like, I personally dislike Gothitelle's line, Stunfisk, the monkey evolutions, Throh, Sawk, Maractus, Mandibuzz/Vullaby, Heatmor, Durant, and Meloetta. I dislike the graphics, various parts of the region, among other things. That's a lot of things to dislike, but just because I dislike factors of a generation doesn't mean the entire thing sucks. You get what I'm saying? Gen 5 brought a lot of new things to the table that contributed to Pokemon as a whole. That's kinda the vibe I'm getting from the few posts I've read (most of these are text walls, can't read them all)

Besides guys! This might just be me thinking but if there's this much of a disagreement, maybe just accept each other's opinions and stop trying to convince others you're right, idk, it just seems like it's turning into a hissy fit (from my viewpoint, that of an outsider to this convo), but I could be wrong.

Alright, my 2 cents! Probably a longer post than I intended.

Years
    Sorry man, but you don't convince me at all. At first your post might look like solid and strong, but I urge you to take a look at it. Some things you said have never been said, you take two completely different post and merge them together, you think you can disprove opinions which have nothing to do with facts, but with personal preferences, and so on. I am going to try to tell you where you are right and where you are wrong.

Let's see your first point. You tell us that we said that Gen V pokemon do not look like animals, and then you give us some pokemon which indeed don't look like animals. I agree with this part. Pokemon doesn't have to look like animals, but your examples are not good comparisons to the examples given by the anti B and W community. Klink and Vanillish are pokemon which are almost entirely the objects they try to resemble. That's right, they resemble real life objects. Vanillish is almost truely an icecone, only with a face and Klink is a gear with a face. Magnemite and magneton might be of the similar concept, so in that way you are right, but with jynx and ditto you really are missing the point. Jynx and Ditto might not be based on animals, but they are not based on objects either, while Vanillish and Klink are truely just objects with a moveset. I understand your point, but the examples are just not very good chosen. The problem people have with these two, is that they are just objects with a face, not that they are not animal based.

Then about point 2 and 3, which I am going to review together. These two points are very weak, Why? You mix the posts of 2 users together and then act as if they have been written by the same person. You first point out that 'we' while only one poster has ever written this, think that the new pokemon are lacluster in design. Then you give examples of pokemon which are not very creative as well. That was a good thing, because they are indeed not creative. But then you suddenly say: since they can't say gen 5 pokemon are lacluster in design, they suddenly are overcreative.

What are you talking about man? I never said B and W pokemon are lacluster in design, but you suddenly use someone else's argument and make it seem that everyone who thinks B and W pokemon are not good first thought they were lacluster, and when they found it it didin't work they suddenly say they are overcreative. I am the only one who said anything about overcreative, while the other poster is the only one who said they were lacluster. And then suddenly you act like these two posts are written by the same person, and by everyone who dislikes B and W?. This renders your response on point 2 and 3 unreliable and irrelevant. Don't think that everyone who dislikes B and W went through this thinkingpattern and don't that the whole anti B and W community thinks the same. This is called overgeneralisation.

Then the part about their predecessors. I never said that the pokemon from B and W are "fake" copies of the pokemon from the generations before that. I never said they are fake, and I never said they are exact copies. Woobat has the same role of Zubat in the older generations. And that is a flying cave bat which you can only find in dark areas. It never had anything to do with types (although you keep saying that) and never had anything to do with names. It has to do with the role in the game. If you just think clear for a second, you can easily understand that the role of Woobat is almost exactly the same of Zubat. And if it comes down to the role in the game, I think zubat did a way better role than Woobat. Woobat does come of from a real life bat, but that doesn't mean that because it comes from a real animal it MUST be perfect for a pokemon game. I still stay with my point that Woobat just isn't a good design for a pokemon. I see this argument from the defenders alot. Emboar is based on a chinese sage, so you can't say that his design is bad. Otherwise you have no respect for his background. Woobat is based on a reallife bat, so you can't say that Woobat just doesn't fit in, because then you are practically denying that there is a real life bat which has a heart shaped nose. The background of these pokemon might be good, but that doesn't mean they look good in a pokemon game.

Furthermore, oddish and bulbasaur? Why do you keep saying that? I have said around 100 times now that the most important factor of comparing a pokemon to another one is the role in the game. Bulbasaur is a very rare starter, while oddish is just a weak grass pokemon. The role in the game is different, while the role of Woobat and Zubat is identical. They might look like each other, but that doesn't mean that we could also have had oddish as an starter while bulbasaur is terrorizing Ilex forest. Kabutops and Scyther might even be a worse example. Kabutops and Scyther are not only completely different in design, kabutops is also a thought to be extinct pokemon, while Scyther is just a ordinary bug pokemon. You wont even find them close to each other if Kabutops was a normal pokemon. The area would be extremely different, the role is extremely different and so on.

As for point 5, I never said they don't look like pokemon. Again, please don't use the words one poster might have used and put them here as: everyone who doesn't like B and W thinks this? I only used this argument as, they don't feel like pokemon to me in the end of my post, because I just can't 'connect' with them like I did with even the Gen IV pokemon. I think immersion is important in this game, but that is getting really hard if every five seconds you have to think: WTH IS THIS CREATURE?! That is by the way only my opinion, so please don't use it in your response as 'everyone who dislikes B and W thinks that the gen V pokemon are not feeling good.:'

I can't say much about point 6. I haver never heard someone saying this, and I think this is a quite silly argument. They still don't look like digimons ^^

I also never said anything about point 7, so I am not going to say anything about this one either.

About point 8, no, we have never solved this point, and that is the funny thing. First, how can you solve an opinion? Secondly, you were having trouble making a list of about 15 pokemon, while I could easily say alot of pokemon which looked extremely strange and fluffy. You also make it seem that we said ALL pokemon are fluffly. No, they are not. I have said numerous times that there are some cool pokemon, but it takes way to long to get them: Evolutions, Legendary or dragon. Your entire list was made with only these three kinds of pokemon. Please, name some pokemon then which are easy to get and look 'cool' ;p.(Except for RoggenRola and Sandile).

I think I have adressed this point already in my post, but I will say it again for you: Yes, their intention was for Woobat to replace Zubat. They HAVE THE SAME ROLE. It doesn't matter they don't have the same types, that argument has nothing to do with it. They are both designed to be the cave dwelling bat pokemon. And when it comes to that, I like zubat better. This argument of your's about Woobat is getting old, could you please stop using this in your rant? This could have easily fitted in with the fluffly pokemon argument.

I also never said anything about no pokemon following you, so I am going to leave this open. The same about 10. I liked every generation except this one, so this point doesn't involve me.

Then your conclusion. In the end, alot of points were proven incorrect. And that is the funny thing. First of all, you think you can prove opinions incorrect. If I say emboar looks bad, and you say emboar looks good, how can you PROVE that my opinion is incorrect? Half of your arguments don't even make sense, or are based on words people have never said, or combined sentences. Also, the ultimate conclusion about subjective pokemon is also a tad strange. This all comes back to the opinion part again. It is my opinion that I don't like the Gen V pokemon. We also give you argument after argument that we don't like the Gen V pokemon. You can't life with that and are defending yourself till the very end it seems, but the fact that our arguments don't even reach you because you put a steel shield around yourself does not mean that we suddenly only like the only generations for no reason at all. You just don't even care to take a look at our arguments it seems. That means that your conclusion is also incorrect. You got your comclusion to begin with only from my post. But I did not say we suddenly only like the older generation with no reason at all. I just said that we are entitled to our opinions, and the fact that I say in that post that I just like the older generation better doesn't mean I have no arguments. They have been said alot of times now, but whats the point of saying them over and over and over again while you don't listen?

About the non pokemon-design things, I have not much to say. I find most of those arguments silly as well. When it comes to the non pokemon side, this game is a fast improvement over the older ones. I really, really like the new battle system as an example. But about picking the wrong examples, I have one thing to say. My example wasn't even so bad. The guy from silver indeed did not have that 'strange' hair, but it would have been pretty hard for them to even give him strange hair. How is this going to look like on the map? Then about the guys from black and soulsilver. Although the guy from HGSS has somewhat impossible hair, it didn't look idiotic or extremely strange. If you see the guy from black you think: Dont they have a haircutter in the pokemon world, seriously? When I see him I really can't stop thinking about how hard he would have been pushed around if he was on my school. The guy from HGSS would probably not be the most popular kid, but atleast he didn't look so strange in comparison to the guy in black. It isn't only about the hair, it is about the general impression. The guy from HGSS did had fairly normal clothes to begin with. :P His hair isn't super strange either although it might be impossible. They guy from black has strange clothes, and even stranger hair, it looks really, really strange. That is my point.

I hope this is the conclusion to this debate. You might have had some good points, but there are also alot of arguments where you flat-out lose, mainly because of combining to posts together, or making false statements. Also overgeneralisation is a problem in your post. I also hope the mods will not delete this post. I try to stay as much on topic as possible, but I just have to respond to this post, although most of my post is about pokemon designs, again. I really try to let this be the last one mainly about pokemon designs, but I really feel I had to make this final post.
    Lame. I said didn't said you say them. Please read it properly. This thread is about why they received so many bad marks. I just showed what other people say. In fact I did state it wasn't just you, but people who dislike BW:
    Here are some baseless excuses your camp gives
    How are you suppose to discuss something when you clearly do not read properly? Your lame attempts at trying to mislead my post are nothing but lame because you clearly got ahead of yourself and did not read properly. I won't push it any further, because you stating that I'm generalizing everything and making up your words shows that you think this thread is titled "Why do you think HenkieDePost thinks BW is bad" instead of its current title.

Well let me scope into 2 points which you discussed without going offtopic:

Since you said that Klink and Vanillish are pokemon which are almost entirely the objects they try to resemble and Vanillish is almost truely an icecone, only with a face and Klink is a gear with a face, then let me ask you what about the ball with a face, and a pile of eggs with faces, and a pinecone with a face and alphabets with an eye? All 5 of them are no different from a shampoo bottle with eyes, yet you can accept the other 3 while Vanillish and Klink are a no no for you.

As for your definition of strange clothes, and even stranger hair, it looks really, really strange is this:
    Why do you think Black and White has recieved so many bad remarks?

Then if we compare it to these normal people:

Mind telling me the difference between Hilbert, Ash and Ethan?

So I think what we've got here is a bunch of nostalgia lovers, and a bunch of Unova lovers (both are fine, not saying anything bad) and both sides are trying to convince the others that they're right, that these Pokemon suck/are the same as the originals/etc etc. I used to dislike the designs, I admit, and tbh I still hate some of them, but something to think about is stop thinking of the entire thing like a group of Pokemon, so if you dislike a bunch you won't start hating on the entire group (gen 5), if that makes sense. (I'm more leaning towards the Unova lovers's side, but I can be persuaded either)

Like, I personally dislike Gothitelle's line, Stunfisk, the monkey evolutions, Throh, Sawk, Maractus, Mandibuzz/Vullaby, Heatmor, Durant, and Meloetta. I dislike the graphics, various parts of the region, among other things. That's a lot of things to dislike, but just because I dislike factors of a generation doesn't mean the entire thing sucks. You get what I'm saying? Gen 5 brought a lot of new things to the table that contributed to Pokemon as a whole. That's kinda the vibe I'm getting from the few posts I've read (most of these are text walls, can't read them all)

Besides guys! This might just be me thinking but if there's this much of a disagreement, maybe just accept each other's opinions and stop trying to convince others you're right, idk, it just seems like it's turning into a hissy fit (from my viewpoint, that of an outsider to this convo), but I could be wrong.

Alright, my 2 cents! Probably a longer post than I intended.
    Lol I'm not really a Unova lover, although I love the game a lot. I actually love every single main pokemon game I've ever laid my hands on, since GBP up to the DS now. I just can't stand people criticizing a generation just because of one or two less satisfying parts of the game, when some (but not all) of these less satisfying parts have been present in the past game. I look at it as something like this: Even though there are 5 generations in the main series, but we should look at it as different generations and not try to compare them with each other, because every generation would have it's special points. BW was an attempt from game freak to breathe freshness into the game, and take a different approach to it, therefore it's meant to be different from the other generations. I think game freak was very daring in the making of this game, because it could either succeed as planned, or completely backfire and have everyone hate pokemon until they produce another improved remake of gen 2. I do applaud them for taking such a risk, and also their innovation. However many people do not see it like I do, and they expect game freak to stick to the tried and tested forever. Although sticking to the tried and tested guarantees security, however it's hard to expand if you keep running on the same spot.

Last edited:
    Years
    Listen, I do not like these games alot, like you could have guessed because my post. But it seems that you guys just don't get it. I am not opposed to change, but change can be good or bad and that is what you guys are missing. As a wild example, if your country is a democracy (I am assuming it is. ;p) , and it suddenly becomes a dicatoriate where people randomly get murdered and slaughtered, would you like it? If I have to believe you people who are defending this game, I apperently must like it. Because it is change, and the people who say, wait wait wait, this is not what we want are suddenly nostalgic losers who need to do something with their lives. This may be an extreme example, but seriously, take a look at all the posts you defenders come up with. Alot of them end with: people who don't like this game are way too fed up with nostalgia and are a bit sad. Even the first reaction on this topic ends with that. (Which I actually find pretty offensive, that poster seriously had no reason to say that everyone who dislikes this game is sad and is fooling themselves. I think this is a bold accusation to make because first of all he didn't even know what the motives are of the people who dislike this game, and secondly, it just seems like he's trying to say there is only one option. Liking the game. If you do not liked it, you somehow automatically did not give it a chance, or you are fooling yourself... Seriously?)

Why can't you guys just accept that I just don't like those pokemon and characters? I only posted my first post here so you guys could know why I didn't like this game, and suddenly I and all the other guys who just don't like this game are nostalgic losers who are opposed to change? Can't people just have their preferences? I like RTS and RPG games as an example, while my brother only likes FPS and TPS games. I don't go saying to him that he HAS to like this game, otherwise he is not open to change and he is just fooling himself because he certainly didn't give AoE a chance because he MUST find it awesome if he did. Again, you might say it has nothing to do with it, but actually it has. You are forcing people to like things, and if they don´t they fall of the boat. That´s pretty strange isn´t it?

Just like I said in my example about democracy, change can come in good ways, or in bad ways. I think the new pokemon designs are a bad change, they try to look like something, or show they have a background and a interesting story (like emboar) but they just fail to resemble it for me. That is just my reason why I don't like these pokemon. I am not showing this as a fact, but as an opinion. You guys wanted to know why I think B and W might receive bad remarks? Here's my answer.

I also think the characters are a bad change. Just take a look at the characters you can choose from. I always play as a boy in a pokemon game, but this time I didn't even want to because they boy looked like he got hair growing out of his golf cap... :P Team plasma had some cool motives, but looked really, really rubbish. The white uniform of their grunts somewhat reminds me of nuns in the catholic church :P Why can't we just have a bada** guy at the top of a team like Giovanni or Archie, they at least looked like bad people. I also really prefer the normal cap guy from soul silver over the hair out of the cap guy. Those goofy people really destroy the immersion for me. Which is also a pretty big letdown for me. Immersion is very important, and if that fails you just can't really connect with your game and enjoy playing it. Atleast I can't. If I don't feel connected with the characters and animals (pokemon) in a game, I don't like it.

Furthermore, I DO like the changes of the unova region. I like the seasons, I can't say very much about the story because I have not finished it yet, but there are also good things about black and white. But the main point of any pokemon game are the pokemon of course, and quite frankly I do not like them, so that is just my biggest issue with the game. But the main point is that I DO like things about the game. It is not all about ranting and raving. They did a pretty good job making this game, and I still think pokemon has a bright future. Just because B and W are the first pokemon games ever that I don't like, doesn't make me a Gen V hater and a guy who is opposed to change. I am just putting up a list here of things I didn't really like about the game, just like the original poster asked.

I am not wanting to wage an all out war between the defenders of the game and the 'attackers', but seriously guys, you should stop labelling everyone who doesn't like this game as someone who is too nostalgic to like changes and is therefore a sad person. I liked alot of the changes, but I just don't like the pokemon and the characters, and that alone is gamebreaking for me. There is nothing more to it. I am looking forward to B and W 2, and maybe I will finish that game completely, but we will see about that when they come out.

I'm only responding to this as I'm uh *cough* lazy. And there's a LOT of text. Anyways...

First off, a democracy to a dictatorship? You say change can be good or bad so.... what about the good? (Plus that' a really harsh metaphor!)

I never said you HAD to like the games, go ahead. Dislike them. Really, where I live it's a free country so...
    And about the nostalgia, I mean the OP is about why I think the games got such bad remarks and I definitely think that comes into play

Basically, I just wanted to say I accept you don't like aspects of the game and that's fine. I disagree, but it's your opinion, no one can tell you different and that isn't what I was trying to do.

Also, this is really off topic, and I apologize for that. I also wanted to add that I think people dislike the games because the art style has changed. I guess I kinda understand why one would dislike them more because the designs are wackier and a little more...interesting, but I like them. I think it really hinges on giving the games a chance, which a lot of people probably took one look and left, which cemented their opinion, which is kinda unfair. That's all. :D

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    I think Game Freak was kinda forced to put only new Pokémon in the games. What's the point of having new Pokémon if people want to use the old ones, just because they're tried and true? They want to make you use the new ones, and they're right. I was playing through Blaze Black (hack of BW) the other day using a Feraligatr and a Murkrow, and despite the fact these are some of my favourite Pokémon, it just felt wrong to me.

156 new Pokémon is more than enough for a game. RBY had less and stood on its own feet rather well.

Also, some of the new designs, although overdetailed, are much more inspired than the old ones. Up until GSC (maybe RSE), the Pokémon designs were too simplistic. Pidgey was a basic bird, Rattata a basic rat, Growlithe a basic dog, and so on. Even Charizard and Dragonite were basic dragons. I like it that they're adding details and making Pokémon look more like monsters instead of toonified animals.

BTW the Gen V hero/heroine character designs are by far the best-designed in the history of the series.

And Emboar kicks ass. I wasn't too fond of it at the beginning, until I started to use it. I developed a thing for the fat boar. It even shakes the ground when it gets out of the Poké Ball! How cool is that?

It seems to me that too many people liked HGSS for the wrong reasons and are now nitpicking. Sure, HGSS were fantastic games, but they came with their fair share of annoyances too. The level curve in Johto is horrid, Team Rocket are pushovers (really, they're a joke), the availability of Pokémon based on time of day really sucks, the Safari Zone is a complete joke (need to wait 120 days to catch Bagon or Gible, WTF?), rematching trainers without the Vs. Seeker is a pain in the ass, and so on. Also, the Pokéthlon, a gimmicky way to sell evolutionary stones. For all the hits HGSS had, there were many misses, too, but people conveniently forget those because they're the remakes of the best games in the series (the original GSC).

Also, Archie as a kickass villain? Team Aqua and Magma were the most retarded villains in the Pokémon series. Their plans didn't make sense at all, and they made the game boring with all those Poochyenas/Mightyenas they had. Cyrus and Ghetsis are far better villains, even if Ghetsis' role in the story is predictable.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2013
    opinion: B/W is an okay series, and we still might get another re-make.. if you think about it, garbordor and shrubish were gross, and genesect, but that`s the only three i see disgusting.... but then there`s Zekrom`s bra and Reshiram`s trousers and boobs.. Yeah, the plot was structured, but i think people hate 1st, 2d, 3d and 4th generation pokemon being un-avalible.. i could understand this... BUT! B/W 2 has the previous gens.. all of them... i`ve played the Black 2 rom so i know this is valid

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    opinion: B/W is an okay series, and we still might get another re-make.. if you think about it, garbordor and shrubish were gross, and genesect, but that`s the only three i see disgusting.... but then there`s Zekrom`s bra and Reshiram`s trousers and boobs.. Yeah, the plot was structured, but i think people hate 1st, 2d, 3d and 4th generation pokemon being un-avalible.. i could understand this... BUT! B/W 2 has the previous gens.. all of them... i`ve played the Black 2 rom so i know this is valid
    I'm thinking the sequels were a nod to the complaints. Perhaps a third game WAS planned, now they're planning a FIFTH game. And who knows if we're getting Ruby/Sapphire rehashes complete with Unova Pokémon included?

Cyclone

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    All I'm going to say is that there is no point in attempting to argue with the stubborn.
    That is all.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    All I'm going to say is that there is no point in attempting to argue with the stubborn.
    That is all.

That isn't really much of a point, not everyone thinks negatively of Black and White because they're stubborn, but rather for certain reasons that other people also share the same view on. :(

I'm thinking the sequels were a nod to the complaints. Perhaps a third game WAS planned, now they're planning a FIFTH game. And who knows if we're getting Ruby/Sapphire rehashes complete with Unova Pokémon included?

Cyclone

...Zekrom's bra? what. o_O But still, I can see why not having past Pokemon could be a reason for the complaints. tbh though on the other side, how else could've they had the fresh start?

Also discussion of possible future games doesn't really fit here. :(

Years
    • IL
    • Seen Jan 12, 2013
    B/W wasn't that bad. It took me a while, but I enjoyed it in the end. I loved the fact it was sort of a "fresh start", plus you didn't run into Zubats and Tentacools every five steps.

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2013

...Zekrom's bra? what. o_O
    But still, I can see why not having past Pokemon could be a reason for the complaints. tbh though on the other side, how else could've they had the fresh start?

Also discussion of possible future games doesn't really fit here. :(

if you look at the middle of zekrom. xD
    ----------------
    nu B/W 2 on PC yet? kk! anyway... yeah, i agree, all that you said is true.. i also think that Ss/Hg are memories some can`t forget.. But i really am excited... some are excited too..

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2013
    Different people want different things and GameFreak cannot possibly give us everything all at once. That would put them out of business after all.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2018
    Listen, I do not like these games alot, like you could have guessed because my post. But it seems that you guys just don't get it. I am not opposed to change, but change can be good or bad and that is what you guys are missing. As a wild example, if your country is a democracy (I am assuming it is. ;p) , and it suddenly becomes a dicatoriate where people randomly get murdered and slaughtered, would you like it? If I have to believe you people who are defending this game, I apperently must like it. Because it is change, and the people who say, wait wait wait, this is not what we want are suddenly nostalgic losers who need to do something with their lives. This may be an extreme example, but seriously, take a look at all the posts you defenders come up with. Alot of them end with: people who don't like this game are way too fed up with nostalgia and are a bit sad. Even the first reaction on this topic ends with that. (Which I actually find pretty offensive, that poster seriously had no reason to say that everyone who dislikes this game is sad and is fooling themselves. I think this is a bold accusation to make because first of all he didn't even know what the motives are of the people who dislike this game, and secondly, it just seems like he's trying to say there is only one option. Liking the game. If you do not liked it, you somehow automatically did not give it a chance, or you are fooling yourself... Seriously?)

I love how you say the defenders think every Unova-hater is same, so you just said everybody who defends the fact that the new Series isnt bad is the same. So you just did exactly what 'we' did

Why can't you guys just accept that I just don't like those pokemon and characters? I only posted my first post here so you guys could know why I didn't like this game, and suddenly I and all the other guys who just don't like this game are nostalgic losers who are opposed to change? Can't people just have their preferences? I like RTS and RPG games as an example, while my brother only likes FPS and TPS games. I don't go saying to him that he HAS to like this game, otherwise he is not open to change and he is just fooling himself because he certainly didn't give AoE a chance because he MUST find it awesome if he did. Again, you might say it has nothing to do with it, but actually it has. You are forcing people to like things, and if they don´t they fall of the boat. That´s pretty strange isn´t it?

(Again seeing everybody who defends liking the Unova region as a whole) I am just gonna make a 'wild example'

Translating the discussion to someone else you say: "I like pizza but I dont like tacos cause they taste like strawberries"
    The people reacting on you say "tacos don't taste like strawberries" And you say "But there are tacos that taste like strawberries" I ('we') say "But there is also pizza that tastes like strawberry"

(Bad example is bad) But I hope you get it. (BTW Strawberry traco sounds awesome)

Just like I said in my example about democracy, change can come in good ways, or in bad ways. I think the new pokemon designs are a bad change, they try to look like something, or show they have a background and a interesting story (like emboar) but they just fail to resemble it for me. That is just my reason why I don't like these pokemon. I am not showing this as a fact, but as an opinion. You guys wanted to know why I think B and W might receive bad remarks? Here's my answer.

Did persian resemble the intersting background for you? aswel as Farfetch'd? And probably else i am forgetting?

I also think the characters are a bad change. Just take a look at the characters you can choose from. I always play as a boy in a pokemon game, but this time I didn't even want to because they boy looked like he got hair growing out of his golf cap... :P Team plasma had some cool motives, but looked really, really rubbish. The white uniform of their grunts somewhat reminds me of nuns in the catholic church :P Why can't we just have a bada** guy at the top of a team like Giovanni or Archie, they at least looked like bad people. I also really prefer the normal cap guy from soul silver over the hair out of the cap guy. Those goofy people really destroy the immersion for me. Which is also a pretty big letdown for me. Immersion is very important, and if that fails you just can't really connect with your game and enjoy playing it. Atleast I can't. If I don't feel connected with the characters and animals (pokemon) in a game, I don't like it.

1. See the picture that pokemontrainer_samuel posted
    2. Yeah changing the world into dirt is awesome, but serious, I think the black and white bad guys are more badass, although i do think the grunts were a bit dull but at the E4 part with a giant Monster castle crushing out of the ground and those bridges crushing in the Pokemon League were alot awesome then the things Team rocket did, AKA nothing, they didnt actually do anything.
    3. And why do you bond with the pokemon in a game: Nostalgia

Furthermore, I DO like the changes of the unova region. I like the seasons, I can't say very much about the story because I have not finished it yet, but there are also good things about black and white. But the main point of any pokemon game are the pokemon of course, and quite frankly I do not like them, so that is just my biggest issue with the game. But the main point is that I DO like things about the game. It is not all about ranting and raving. They did a pretty good job making this game, and I still think pokemon has a bright future. Just because B and W are the first pokemon games ever that I don't like, doesn't make me a Gen V hater and a guy who is opposed to change. I am just putting up a list here of things I didn't really like about the game, just like the original poster asked.

I am not wanting to wage an all out war between the defenders of the game and the 'attackers', but seriously guys, you should stop labelling everyone who doesn't like this game as someone who is too nostalgic to like changes and is therefore a sad person. I liked alot of the changes, but I just don't like the pokemon and the characters, and that alone is gamebreaking for me. There is nothing more to it. I am looking forward to B and W 2, and maybe I will finish that game completely, but we will see about that when they come out.

You are labelling all the defenders as people who label everyone who doesnt like this game as someone who is to nostalgic etc.

Comments in blue,
    The reason B and W got bad remarks is cause people hate change,

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2012
    it is because black and white only allows 5th gen pokemon before post game, and then when you can finally get your favourites, there is nothing to do with them.

rayan.b

i like cinnamon :)
    Years
    What is a "real Pokemon"? All 649 Pokemon are REAL Pokemon.

Would you like to compare? I can find you several Pokemon that look odd in every generation.

So, how are these any better than the ones in Gen 5? They aren't. They're all Pokemon. Just because they look different doesn't mean they don't look like a Pokemon.

And "didn't even try"? How about these?

These Pokemon were very simple, but the only reason people don't complain about them is because they came first.

How is this:

any more or less creative than this?:

Answer: they're not. Game Freak has to find ways to make new Pokemon stand out from older Pokemon, which is why the don't all look alike. Don't get me wrong, I grew up with the first Gen, but those are some of the most basic designs of them all. There is nothing wrong with any Gen 5 Pokemon. The Taoism theme with the Unova dragons was a great idea, so I don't know how anyone can say they "didn't try" with such a great concept.

And no, they didn't go overboard. They introduced 13 Legendary Pokemon with 143 regular Pokemon. In all, 47 Pokemon are Legendary while 602 are not. That is only 7.2% of all Pokemon.

exactly what i wanted to say, you couldn't have said it in a better way
    by the way, in my point of view jynx is the worst looking pokemo ever

i like cinnamon :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2012
    Well, i guess it's because Nintendo are trying so hard to make people forget about the old games and buy the new ones, but it seems that people got so attached to those games, they won't just let go. And, Some of the Pokemon are really, how to put this, Fake.
    They're over-doing it, i think they should make a re-make of Pokemon fire-red/ leaf-green, where the Pokemon move in battle, and follow you around!

Back