• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Why do you think Black and White has recieved so many bad remarks?

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
  • It's not nazism, it's being unimaginative.

GF thought outside the box with BW.

The story is not completely different, but it's the most distinct out of the games, because of the inclusion of N. While Ghetsis had the same motives as Giovanni, N was the character that made BW's story truly stand out.

Also, the new Pokémon. It truly took some balls to include only new Pokémon during the main storyline. They knew people would complain, yet they went on with it. And, guess what, it worked! While Gen V's Pokémon aren't the best competitively, there are very few Pokémon that aren't useful during the main storyline. They tried to do the same back with Gen III but they gave us some Gen I/II tokens and also made the then-new Pokémon too similar to what already existed, so the choice of Pokémon wasn't completely new.

Sincerely, I'd rather GF did what they've done with BW than another HGSS. While HGSS is my favourite game of the series (because I love Johto), let's face it, it was easy to make it good. They already had a fantastic game to base themselves on (GSC), they just had to complete what they couldn't back in 1999 when the GBC's constraints stopped them. Then they added features that newer games had (such as gym leader rematches).

I think I'm the only one who didn't like much the HGSS system of a Pokémon following you. I mean, it was cool at first, but then I didn't care all that much about it because you couldn't choose which Pokémon would follow you. It would always be the first Pokémon in the party. I didn't like it because of that.

So you're saying different is always good?

I'd like to see you try that excuse on Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. That movie was certainly different than the brilliant Original Trilogy, and it was awful. However, under your logic, it would be good simply because it was different?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    So you're saying different is always good?

I'd like to see you try that excuse on Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. That movie was certainly different than the brilliant Original Trilogy, and it was awful. However, under your logic, it would be good simply because it was different?

But his post didn't say that different was ALWAYS good at all. o_O I'm pretty sure it meant that being different was one of its redeeming qualities.

Years
  • So you're saying different is always good?

Lighten up a little will ya?

Don't start accusing his "logic" because he's only saying that he believes it's good for fresh/new ideas to come from things that are growing old. I agree with him too because while many people don't like the looks of the new Pokemon or the gameplay, I enjoy it. I can't really say why else people don't like it other than it doesn't fit their personal tastes.

btw I loved phantom menace and all star wars for that matter.

to each his own :)

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • So you're saying different is always good?

No, I said they thought outside the box, which is closer to fact than opinion by the mere reason that the games are different from past games. Them being good is my opinion and you are free to disagree. I for example don't like Gen III, since back then the lack of backwards compatibility made it feel like GF was throwing the old games in the bin and pretending they never happened.

And I like both the classic and modern Star Wars trilogy. But this is completely unrelated to the subject since The Phantom Menace wasn't a reboot, it was a prequel. It followed different creation rules. Meanwhile, BW is almost completely unrelated to the other games. BW is to the Pokémon series what GTAIV was to GTA as a whole, although not as extreme since Unova is still part of the Pokémon universe and they all share the same timeline, while GTAIV was a complete reboot with whole new characters and storyline.

Last edited:
    Years
  • 1. The Walking Pokemon. I missed that so much. I mean, it's adorable for a pokemon to be walking around with you. Why make sprites for others if not all?

2. Overall storyline. I mean, the storylines can go deep, but, sometimes, there can be a bit too much.

3. This one saddens me. "Its so new! Lets cause chaos by gibbering about it all the time and leaving the GBA games for dead! Let's ruin other peoples childhood memories by coming up with this stupid new pokemon and forgetting about all the older Pokemon!" That's what I think. It's nothing but sadness, memories in ruin, outrage, chaos, and commotion.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    1. The Walking Pokemon. I missed that so much. I mean, it's adorable for a pokemon to be walking around with you. Why make sprites for others if not all?

It was an interesting feature, but nothing great. Outside of HG/SS, only Yellow had the feature and was limited only to that 1 Pikachu. It's not like it was a feature we've had for years and B/W took it away. I understand people liked it, as I did, but Gen 5 has not suffered because of the lack of this feature.

2. Overall storyline. I mean, the storylines can go deep, but, sometimes, there can be a bit too much.

To each his own. Personally, I feel they were able to take the general Pokemon plot and really twist for Gen 5. Rather than just "evil team takes over the world" we actually got a taste of a "Pokemon's Rights Organization", even though it turned out to be a front.

3. This one saddens me. "Its so new! Lets cause chaos by gibbering about it all the time and leaving the GBA games for dead! Let's ruin other peoples childhood memories by coming up with this stupid new pokemon and forgetting about all the older Pokemon!" That's what I think. It's nothing but sadness, memories in ruin, outrage, chaos, and commotion.

Not sure why anyone would care about GBA games in the age of the 3DS. Also not sure how anyone could honestly say GameFreak ruined their childhood.

"Stupid new Pokemon" is nostaglia fueled, and one of the things that built hype for B2W2 was the inclusion of many Gen 1-4 Pokemon in Unova. No older Pokemon have been forgotten, especially since Arcanine in particular is one of the main Pokemon that got promoted for B2W2 in the animated trailer.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I think this generation was pretty good, but there are, in my mind, a couple of problems.

First of all, B/W seemed so much more linear. As soon as you got the town map, you knew the route you would be taking for the rest of the story. I understand that, in previous games, there is usually only ever one way to go, but it doesn't feel that way. In gen 5, I feel like I'm simply travelling on a rail, but in gen 3, I felt like I was exploring.

Secondly, I didn't really like the ending of the story.
    Spoiler:

Thirdly, I think that there were too many bipedal Pokemon, and that many Pokemon evolved far too late. The first is more of a subjective gripe, given that I love cute, little four legged things that make you want to instantly cuddle them. However, some of my Pokemon didn't evolve until I got to Victory Road (despite being five levels over the last gym) , which is far too late for anything that isn't a dragon-type.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    There's too much useless crap imo. Does anyone even use the Dream World anymore? I got seriously bored of it like a month after I got White Version. The C-Gear seems hugely useless too, it only really enabled trading.

Just too much bloated features on it. I am excited for White 2 though, but hopefully they organized their junk better.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I didn't see any problems with it at all. The reason there was not many legendaries,was because it was starting something new. 153 pokemon with 4 event ones. The Battle Sub took the place of the Frontier and we still had battle tower. I liked the storyline at that. I mean Blue,Red,Yellow,and Jap. Green didn't really have much aftermath content and we could only catch 4 legends in game. As for the designs,just look at 1st gen. They had some horrible looking pokemon in it. Mr.Mime,Jynx,and than Ditto,Muk and Grimmer were just blobs. It 5th Gen was first,people would think the same as the 1st gen. They were trying stuff out like someone said above me. In B2/W2 we can catch almost every single legendary after we finish the game.

However,I willa agree with Dreamworld and C-Gear not being that great. You got to remember the makers are in Japan,where mostly everyone probably still plays pokemon.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I didn't see any problems with it at all. The reason there was not many legendaries,was because it was starting something new. 153 pokemon with 4 event ones. The Battle Sub took the place of the Frontier and we still had battle tower.
    I'm sorry? Maybe my mind is just blanking, but where is this Battle Tower located?

Assuming I'm not confused, it would have been nice to have such a feature in B/W, however.

Cyclone

Back