• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do you think there are so many shiny Pokemon in the XY anime?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • Sooo far, we've seen Magikarp, Metagross, Hawlucha, Phantump, Pikachu, Dragonair, and Gyarados. That's 7 Pokemon for Kalos, not counting the movies. Counting the movies, we've seen Rayquaza as well, making 8 the total.

For the previous seasons we've only seen:
    Indigo: Shuckle, Gyarados, Noctowl, Magneton (4)
    Adv: Swellow, Magikarp, Donphan (3)
    DP: Dustox, Metagross, Ditto (3) Ariados (spin off only) and Pichu (only in an ending)(5)
    Best Wishes: Onix (1), and Hydreigon, Golurk, Genesect, Druddigon (5)

I don't really remember what generation the Suicune, Entei, and Raikou from the movie was from... was it 5? Then we have 8, but they were mostly from movies. Do you think we'll see Ash catch a shiny Pokemon in Alola, and/or that the shiny rate in the anime will increase or fall down again?

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2016
    Well Shiny hunting became much easier in Gen 6. I'm sure that wasn't their intention, but I think its pretty cool. But to be serious, I think the rate of how many shinies we see may increase. I think the real reason behind seeing more shinies in Kalos is to compensate for the fact less new pokemon were introduced, so a shiny can double up as a nice new encounter in a way.

For me, the rate of how many shinies we see in the main anime will depend on how many new pokemon Sun and Moon introduce.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I have to agree with the above, the increased rates probably lead to it. Which is cool. It's nice to see shinys in the anime. We'll probably see it for Sun and Moon's as well if the rates are the same.

zeno101200

The Wanderer
    Years
  • What the others above said is a likely reason, but it's also possible that it's for advertising the fact that they exist in the game, considering a large part of the anime is for advertising aspects of the games/Pokemon products.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I don't really remember what generation the Suicune, Entei, and Raikou from the movie was from... was it 5?

That's incorrect. It was generation IV. Diamond and Pearl movie, not Best Wishes.

I don't think there was any reason in particular that the anime showcased more shiny Pokemon in Kalos. Metagross was directly from the games, while the rest could have just been thrown in for the fun of it, you never know, or just to showcase "rare colorations" of Pokemon. Ash and the gang didn't say anything about the Pokemon being a different color, either, so eh. I don't really think the "shiny rate" is gonna go up or down in Alola. Maybe we'll see some shiny Pokemon or maybe we won't. I also don't want to see Ash capture another shiny Pokemon simply because he Oaked his pretty Shiny Noctowl. Why bother catching another if it's gonna be with Oak at the end of the region anyway?

Also, the Shiny Pikachu was only featured on Poke TV, not during the episode itself, which is sad.

(There was also a Shiny Gengar and Gardevoir in the new movie, but briefly.)

Fun fact before I go, the anime colored all Toxicroak to their shiny color in the D/P saga.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I also think the reason we see so many is because Shiny Pokemon became a heck of a lot more common in the games. I think they planned that from the start. They have to have info before the start writing the episodes for each saga. I wouldn't be surprised if they were already working on the second season of Pokemon SM or about to.

It was obvious they were showing off the shiny Magikarp because of the new fishing mechanic in XY. Aka, Chain Fishing.

As for 8 being in XY, almost every single pokemon in the Magerna movie were also shiny pokemon. So there is probably around 12 to 15 total.

Back