• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why does Pokemon get hacked most?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
  • I believe that Super Mario World is actually the most hacked game. On this forum however Pokemon is the most hacked because it is a POKEMON forum, pretty clear correlation there.

Years
  • A better question is "Why does this question get asked the most?".

Seriously though, what does it matter? If you want to see other games being hacked more, then learn assembly and hex, and get cracking.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Pokémon doesn't get hacked the most. One could argue that it gets "edited with tools" the most but definitely not "hacked" the most.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2013
    - There are more tools
    - There are more things to be edition
    - Pokemon is more fun to hacking

rstar095

Baby Seal Clubber
    Years
  • it doesnt, probably super mario world gets hacked the most cause its a lot easier to learn, it was the first game i hacked

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    first, i mean over all the internet, second, before i came here all i heard about was pokemon hacks, not mario or megaman.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    first, i mean over all the internet, second, before i came here all i heard about was pokemon hacks, not mario or megaman.

... Depends on who you are.

Now I think about it, Mario hacks I saw before Pokemon, I'm sure of it. Probably also a Sonic hack as well.

If you like Pokemon the most, you will inevitable find a hack on YouTube of it. Same for the other games, if you like them the most, eventually you will stumble on a hack about it.

If I recall, the Mario hacking scene has hundreds (probably thousands outside of the main hacking site) of demos of hacks with edited maps, which are the crucial thing in Mario. That does say something, as Pokemon don't really have that many that aren't just text edits (no scripting or mapping changes).

You'd be surprised how many Mario hacks actually do exist.

Years
  • I think pokemon gets hacked most because of the HUGE numbers of variables you can edit that effect the gameplay. Most games are pretty limited when it comes to that. But here you have:

type effectiveness
    stats/growthrate/leaneable moves/gender/evolution levels, etc
    movenames/types/base power etc
    storyline (which you can totally remake instead of changing the text in the existing one)
    and tons more

I can imagine the options here are nearly endless compared to hacking a mario game. You get to be more creative and it isn't hard to try new things nobody has ever done before.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I think pokemon gets hacked most because of the HUGE numbers of variables you can edit that effect the gameplay. Most games are pretty limited when it comes to that. But here you have:

type effectiveness
    stats/growthrate/leaneable moves/gender/evolution levels, etc
    movenames/types/base power etc
    storyline (which you can totally remake instead of changing the text in the existing one)
    and tons more

I can imagine the options here are nearly endless compared to hacking a mario game. You get to be more creative and it isn't hard to try new things nobody has ever done before.

I've seen so much impressive and varied things come out of Sonic The Hedgehog hacks, among other games, to say that I don't think this is the case at all. That which you've mentioned, to me, feels like the equivalent to changing the physics or abilities of the main character in a platformer, or creating new level layouts, because they're both the main things that change the way the game is played.

TheShinyMew

Wild Challenger appeared!
    Years
  • Actually, I'd have to argue that Super Mario World is hacked more. Believe me, I've seen a lot more hacks of that game. It's even easier to ASM hack it than Pokemon games. There's way more ASM support for that game, as in, there's a huge ROM Map and a huge RAM Map at a certain SMW hacking website (that probably gives it away to many people).

Edit: I'd also like to point out that no one seems to have made a RAM Map or ROM Map on this site for any third generation game. There's something over at another rom hacking website for Pokemon Gold (hint: "rom hacking" isn't part of the name of the website I'm talking about).

What is ASM stands for? Tell me, what it's stands for?

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
  • What is ASM stands for? Tell me, what it's stands for?

ASM is a big boy word that means Assembley.

Pokemon gets hacked the most because it's a Pokemon forum and because so many n00bs want to make Professor Oak say **** and ***** as well as *****, and then you've got hackers that want to make a Pogemonz game, and then at the top of the food chain we have the real hackers, who call people that use tools and hack GBA n00bs. Ok thanks bye.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2016
    You must not know of Halo Custom Edition, I promise you there is MANY more hacks there than here...

Not trying to sound a bit cocky, but that is called a MOD, a "HACK" IS a modification of a Emulated ROM aka Emulated Consoles etc, a edit of a PC Game is still a MOD

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 28, 2012
    I think it's just that there are adequate tools for hacking Pokemon.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • Because only some agree with this statement and totally understand what it means.

"The difference between using a hex editor and using a level editor is that a hex editor doesn't actually know how the file you're editing works, whereas a level editor does. So to use a hex editor, you're still hacking because you're figuring out how the file you're hex editing is built. Of course, if you were given a bookmark file for a particular file (or were following a ROM map) then editing the hex under those circumstances wouldn't qualify as hacking either, because you're not trying to figure anything out."

And, no one from here has to figure out anything while "rom hacking".

Spoiler:

Years
  • I think it is because the games could take a while to finish? Or because people like to edit it? I don't know completely. I do prefer hacking Ruby/Fire Red/Emerald though since they have a good default tileset. Yes, I prefer the default tileset. :P

Back