• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why doesn't anyone use bug pokemon anymore?!

BlueMageBrilly

The Blue Mage
Years
  • ..Haha.. I don't really know what most of you are talking about due to my lack of playing White and not knowing the names of the newish Pokemon, but I always gave up on most Bug types on the earlier Gens. In RBY/LE/FR I gave up on Weedle/Caterpee simply because they couldn't handle much of anything by the third gym, even if I had them learn Bug Bite (If it was an option!) before evolving.

However when I got to the third Gen I did use ShedNinja, even though there was a better Ghost type out there I just found the aspect of Super Guard fascinating.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • A lot of us do use bug Pokemon... I like using a couple because of their aesthetics, admittedly... Things like Ledian. But aside from that, there are some very useful bug types out there... Things like Scizor, who has amazing typing, and some very nice advantages.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Heracross, Volcarona and Yanmega are awesomesauce. The rest, unfortunately, drag the wondrous reputations of the aforementioned three down with them. In order to get me to use it, a Bug critter does have to overcome some serious biases, mainly thanks to the Beedrills and Masquerains of the world. But good ones are out there... somewhere!

Tachikaze

九番隊 // Earth-Severing Wind
    Years
  • Because Bugs were pretty much neglected the first few generations, and Gamefreak is just now rectifying that issue by giving them good abilities and stronger attacks.

bctincher15

blue eye + brown eye =awesome
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    I actually recently did a Mono-Bug type run on Pokemon Platinum, I traded a Weedle and a Caterpie at the beginning and eventually caught the rest.

Here is my final team at the second round of the elite four(right before Aaron).
    Beedrill Lv.81
    Butterfree Lv.82
    Beautifly Lv.81
    Dustox Lv.80
    Scizor Lv.82
    Drapion Lv.79

I don't know if Drapion really counts, but Skorupi is bug, so it counts to me.

salmence33

I'm out here
    Years
    • He/him
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    Whenever I use bug pokemon, it's either heracross or Volcarona.
    I think the reason most people find bugs unusable is because most bugs have a lot of weaknesses, and then a bad defensive stat as well. Most bugs have to be used as a fast sweeper, such as heracross or pinser.

Cazzef

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I never used bug Pokemon since most of them can't really take hits, their not reliable in my view. However some do stand out like Scyther/Scizor, Volcarona and Yanmega. I've only ever used Volcarona competitively and it did wonders with its Quiver Dance!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    In-game they're useless and weak early on imo (uhhh yeah guess what? Basically every gym starts with rock, good luck raising your bug) and generally the gym leader types are a disadvantage to them, other than pretty much psychic. As for competitive, there's not many bugs but they're basically the best Pokemon overall imo - considering all the types. Though that's just my bias towards Scizor. So amazing!

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • I am doing an ultimate monotype challenge right now, and i am telling you, the bug types are great! I mean, look at Heracross. Yanmega. Scizor. Butterfree. All good Pokemon/

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • I don't like using some of the early on bug Pokemon because I feel like a newb, and they are too weak. Heracross, Yannma, Scizor, Syther, Leavanny, and Scolopede
    A lot of the other bug pokemon are either defensive or come in late in the game. Its like you can't use the argument that Hydreigon is a good dragon pokemon to have on your in-game team, because its so late game.

Years
  • I don't think I used a Bug-type in any of my playthroughs, probably because of mediocre stats, weak defenses, crippling weaknesses and always being weak against the first Gym.

I only catch Bug-types for the Pokedex, not to use in battle.

Years
  • Nobody really uses Bug Pokes because they're kinda meant to be early game help to people frustrated at constantly losing. They upgrade at low levels, attacks are kinda useless, and they have poor defense. Sure, Steel/Bug may have one weakness, but it's a 4x, and common too. TBH, I think the only reason the type exists is because Pokemon was originally designed as a bug catching simulator.

Last edited:
    Back