• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why I think HG/SS won't meet it's expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I think I'm going to like the remakes better than the original. They kept a lot of the music the same. It sounds very nice. They even kept the Professor Oak and Mary talk show music on the Pokegear! The Pokegear still has the phone, radio, map, but with a new item finder. They kept that gadget simple, but better. The gyms look a lot better, but they kept some of the old things such as darkness (Morty's gym) but added candles, Clefairy shape (Whitney's gym) but made it more noticeable, and a forest (Bugsy's gym) however, they added cool looking moving spiders in Bugsy's gym. So far this game has exceeded my expectations. If you don't like the changes, then just play the originals. I don't know what to tell you. I still think you should give this game a chance and not have high expectations.

Yaliw

Water/Steel/Fighting Trainer
    Years
  • I must agree that it wont feel as great as the original did simply because we are much older now. G/S/C was great because we were younger and everything looks and plays better when your younger. I know some guy trying to act cool will say "i wus 14 wen i plys teh gold/selver bla bla" the point is that many of the features that D/P/Pt brought us wasn't as great as it could be. like the OP said, drawing? a thing that lets to see hearts above your pokemon's head? it was a worthless add-on and i was really hoping that the touch screen would add some -USEFUL- features. By the looks of it, New-HGSS will have much more useful ideas for the touch-screen but im not holding my breath.

When we play it, it wont feel the same as the original, because we wont have the same feelings of "awesome, new pokemon! i cant wait! or omg breeding? Lugia from the movie?! i can trade my bad-ass old team from B/R/Y? holy cow, night and day cycle? etc" because these features come standard now. Agian, watch somebody say "it'll feel new to me because i never played G/S/C" well thats fine but we have HUGE standards for the best generation of pokemon and honestly, it's going to let us down because theres no way nintendo can meet our standards. It'll just be Diamond/Pearl all over agian except in Johto.

I for one, will still play it, but im not expecting it to be anywhere near as magical was my first Gold run-through was.

Years
  • Of course we're not going to feel the same way we felt when we played the original. This isn't exactly a new game. It's a remake of a game most of us have already played. Gold was my first Pokemon game and I was excited about everything. Even catching a Magikarp for the first time. That was awesome. That doesn't take away from the fact that this will be a great game. Sure we may not be as excited when we play it, but that's because we were given a lot of info early on. It's like peeking at your Christmas gifts early. If we first found out about any Pokemon following when we first played, we'd be much more excited. I know I'd be like "NO WAY!!?! I can do this?! THIS IS AWESOME! :D" But we found out all this stuff from CoroCoro, serebii, and Pokemon Sunday. I was excited when I found out the info sure. If I didn't know any of this and just got the game, I'd be more excited when finding this stuff out. For some people this will be their first Pokemon game. It's not going to have the same exact magic because it's a game we have already played, but brought up to date. For those of us who have played every rpg pokemon game and looked up the info for this game, we'll already know what to expect.

I'm just happy that I can play this game with a better understanding. (Back then, I had no idea that the haircutting brothers made your pokemon's happiness increase for evolving.)

Last edited:

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • The core of all of the main Pokemon games remain the same. If you don't want to play with the bells and whistles, ignore them.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years

• Oh good job, now I have to worry about how many times I save...Thanks a lot. :[

Of course, I probably haven't even reached the 100 mark (the average flash drive has 100,000 something goes to it before it breaks down, but you already knew that) on any of my games yet, but still.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Before the Poketech, the PokeWalker, planting berries, all that crap.

The Poketch has only been a helpful addition.
    The new types of berries, and the ability to plant them has also only added to the fun, though I'll admit the mulches are a bit too much.
    The Pokewalker isn't something in-game anyways, and it doesn't do anything special or unlock anything in the game anyways, so you can just ignore it.

Now with the Poketech, you've got stuff like drawing. IF I WANTED TO DRAW I'D OPEN UP PICTOCHAT, I DIDN'T PAY $35 TO DRAW!)

The drawing is an added feature. They could have not made it at all and it would still cost $35 to you.
    Would you have liked that better? It only adds to the fun, and doesn't take away anything...

I'll admit pokemon following you is cool, but nintendo fails to realize that it's the simplicity we liked.

You can still stick to simplicity if you want by ignoring these tough features.
    You can choose it in game whether you want the Pokemon to follow you or not, so there's no problem.

With the exception of your home, every feature had a reason.

Even your home had a reason, just so you know.
    It makes it realistic. You wouldn't like to know that the main character lives in the streets, would you?
    Most of the additions of new features are only done because they're helpful, and because they can be ignored if you don't want to use them too.

The touch screen in overkill in pokemon, it just raised the ability of developers to put stupid stuff into games.

The touch screen has made things a whole lot easier in Platinum too, you must have seen.
    Again, it only adds gimmicks which you can easily ignore, but it really does only help you do things in a more simplified way...
    The touch screen is going to make HG/SS a much more simplified and "easy to navigate" game.

Last edited:

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    *large post of ownage*

Wow, you just pwned this thread.

After that, I don't think that there's anything to not like about these games. If you think otherwise, just don't buy them.

[PROBLEM SOLVED]

GameplayerHGSS

Back to Johto in HeartGold...!
    Years
  • I thought everyone was excited to hear after so long there will Generation 2 remakes! And now your not liking what Nin10Doh, or GameFreak is doing with it? Come on! At least were going back to Johto with updated stuff, be cool about it and don't complain about it being "Not simple looking"... For people who played Platinum, there now looking for a bigger, better, stronger game than before, so I don't care if Kanto turns into a Battle Frontier (Wait... that would suck lol), or they introduce new evolutions to old pokemon thats HGSS exclusives only, who cares! As long as it takes place in Johto, still has all it's old features plus MANY new ones, a little (or Big) change in the storyline, I'm still buyin these games! I'm not looking for simple look or feel to games anymore, I'm looking for a BA game that can show Platinum as a simple looking game lol anyway sorry for writin so much ... ^_^'

Years
  • I thought everyone was excited to hear after so long there will Generation 2 remakes! And now your not liking what Nin10Doh, or GameFreak is doing with it? Come on! At least were going back to Johto with updated stuff, be cool about it and don't complain about it being "Not simple looking"... For people who played Platinum, there now looking for a bigger, better, stronger game than before, so I don't care if Kanto turns into a Battle Frontier (Wait... that would suck lol), or they introduce new evolutions to old pokemon thats HGSS exclusives only, who cares! As long as it takes place in Johto, still has all it's old features plus MANY new ones, a little (or Big) change in the storyline, I'm still buyin these games! I'm not looking for simple look or feel to games anymore, I'm looking for a BA game that can show Platinum as a simple looking game lol anyway sorry for writin so much ... ^_^'

Yes! Finally, someone showing some spirit! :D These games are going to be the most awesome games ever. =D

These games won't meet your expectations, they will exceed them. Even the guy from Nintendo said "expect great things."

I mean, what other Pokemon game allows all of the 493 Pokemon to be able to follow you?

Years
  • G/S/C were consider complex when it come out.
    I mean, a game with a day/night system, as well as a week system! That was breaking technology back then
    Get with the times grandpa

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2009
    G/S/C were consider complex when it come out.
    I mean, a game with a day/night system, as well as a week system! That was breaking technology back then
    Get with the times grandpa

Wait a second, you're calling me "Grandpa" because I'm calling a game that was complex in it's day simple!? HOW DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE!?

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • I somewhat agree. I enjoyed FireRed so much that I'm sure I'll enjoy HeartGold just as much. But my god, if they even dare to add things like berrys and PokeTechs and all that stupid crap, I will be so damn pissed. Pokemon was so awesome when it was far simpler. I don't even know where I am or what I'm doing when I turn on Pearl. I just want the remakes to be a graphically enhanced version of game I loved as a child. I mean, seriously, whats with all of this Pokemon following you around bollocks?

Kyo-chan

Beginning Breeder
    Years
  • Wow, if you don't want to play HG and SS then don't, no one is forcing you to buy or play it. Also, let's not speak for everyone and say "we" all like the original. Me and my fiance still play the GSC and we are both excited for the HG/SS games, as well as many people at our college. So if you wanna complain, make sure you word it so it doesn't sound like your speaking for everyone.

To be honest I think you just wanna attract attention to yourself.

Nyjil da Kid

Jambalaya of Justice League
    Years
  • Well, looks like HG/SS turned out to be an unethical conflict of interest. What, you honestly thought it was gonna be the same thing with 3-d graphics? You wanted a remake? Now ya got one...Honestly, whats the point of complaining about new features? Its the DS...youre gonna see something new. But youre not obliged too use any of them. PokeWalker, Pokethlon...just don't use them. If its not part of the main story, you don't have to use them. People will, people won't, but they don't have to complain about something they're not gonna use anyway...live a little...

[Too those that have a problem with change]

Vyro

Master Douchelord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    Back in MY day we had 150 monsters, and that was ALL you needed! None o' these new-fangled 'cutey' monsters for children!

Look at dat thereTauros. A fine specimen of a monster. Look at the new-age Tauros. A CARTOON COW. Disgraceful! We had Pikachu and Raichu, but that wasn't CUTE enough for CHILDREN so they added Pichu, the Baby. Then they added those two Minun and Plushie creatures, which are completely obvious knockoffs! That's right, IVE SEEN YOUR NEW MONSTERS! BAH! Tailow? HootHoot? Starly? BAH! Give me Pidgey any day! Sentret? Zigzagoon? BIDOOF? You young whippersnappers can paint a Ratatta brown, but it's still a Ratatta!

The new popular starter is CHICKCHAR or something. Hooey! Back in my day, if you wanted a flaming monkey, you threw a Mankey into a bonfire!

I must say, it's nice to see the developers haven't gotten creative. A hippopotamus called "Hippopotas"? That's almost as clever as a pile of muck called "Muk"! Shows that the first generation was the BEST generation!

But everything they try to change doesn't work! Take evolution for example. Well, we DIDNT evolve them because evolution is a heathen scam! Everytime they tried to evolve, we would stop them because they were Intelligently Designed to be the way they were. But at least science was simpler in those days. Creatures evolved by leveling, stones, and trading! We didn't need to equip any new-fangled Kings Rock while leveling up at dusk while fighting a Goldeen at Cinnabar Island with a happiness level of 200 and spare Rare Candy in the inventory! That's ridiculous!

Also, there are no male or female monster of the same species! If they were, they would be a DIFFERENT SPECIES like Nidoran is. I notice that you haven't tried to reclassify them as the same species. That's because they are the ONLY monster with genders! All them other monsters are a-sexual. They don't breed! You kids today pass your monsters to some hag, and she has to genetically engineer you a cross-bred creature. WHY ELSE WOULD CREATURES ONLY MULTIPLY IN A DAYCARE CENTER?

Speaking of evolution, you young punks can stop evolving my monsters! Lickitung, Tangela and Rhydon were useless enough without you tainting them with stripes and spikes and scowls! If we wanted them to evolve, we would have done it the old fashioned way: by putting three of them together! I see what you did to Magneton! IF WE WANTED MAGNETON TO EVOLVE, WE WOULD JUST PUT THREE TOGETHER.

YOUR TURTWIG IS A BULBASAUR WITH A LEAF ON ITS HEAD!

Where was I? Oh yeah, your fancy colors. We didn't have color back in my day! We had black and puke green and we were grateful! People at the store would say, "Welcome to Cerulean City, the most vibrant city in Kanto. Would you like to see a third color?" and you would reply, "No, sir, I am satisfied with two" because THATS THE WAY GOD MADE IT.

And what's with these monsters that roam around the whole region? I don't care if you are a legendary, you stay in ONE house or cave. YOU DONT MOVE. I tells ya, the whole world is loosing control. Pretty soon these creatures will all be free. What kind of world has no pocket monster fighting action paralleling cockfighting? I am not sure, but it's a world I want none to do with!

Maybe this old fool is too naive for this new world. But with God as my witness, I will keep my level 100 Charmander, level 100 Magikarp, and level 100 Pikachu by my side forever. You kids wouldn't understand because you're too busy 'evolving' your monsters, watching their stat-ee-vees and teachin' them moves to balance against your friends. What a waste of time! I could beat the Elite Four everytime, back when that MEANT something. So you can go fight strangers over them thar internets if you will, but as for me and my monsters, we will retire from a world which no longer needs us.

^ But that won't apply to these. HG/SS Rocks.

Nyjil da Kid

Jambalaya of Justice League
    Years
  • Back in MY day we had 150 monsters, and that was ALL you needed! None o' these new-fangled 'cutey' monsters for children!

Look at dat thereTauros. A fine specimen of a monster. Look at the new-age Tauros. A CARTOON COW. Disgraceful! We had Pikachu and Raichu, but that wasn't CUTE enough for CHILDREN so they added Pichu, the Baby. Then they added those two Minun and Plushie creatures, which are completely obvious knockoffs! That's right, IVE SEEN YOUR NEW MONSTERS! BAH! Tailow? HootHoot? Starly? BAH! Give me Pidgey any day! Sentret? Zigzagoon? BIDOOF? You young whippersnappers can paint a Ratatta brown, but it's still a Ratatta!

The new popular starter is CHICKCHAR or something. Hooey! Back in my day, if you wanted a flaming monkey, you threw a Mankey into a bonfire!

I must say, it's nice to see the developers haven't gotten creative. A hippopotamus called "Hippopotas"? That's almost as clever as a pile of muck called "Muk"! Shows that the first generation was the BEST generation!

But everything they try to change doesn't work! Take evolution for example. Well, we DIDNT evolve them because evolution is a heathen scam! Everytime they tried to evolve, we would stop them because they were Intelligently Designed to be the way they were. But at least science was simpler in those days. Creatures evolved by leveling, stones, and trading! We didn't need to equip any new-fangled Kings Rock while leveling up at dusk while fighting a Goldeen at Cinnabar Island with a happiness level of 200 and spare Rare Candy in the inventory! That's ridiculous!

Also, there are no male or female monster of the same species! If they were, they would be a DIFFERENT SPECIES like Nidoran is. I notice that you haven't tried to reclassify them as the same species. That's because they are the ONLY monster with genders! All them other monsters are a-sexual. They don't breed! You kids today pass your monsters to some hag, and she has to genetically engineer you a cross-bred creature. WHY ELSE WOULD CREATURES ONLY MULTIPLY IN A DAYCARE CENTER?

Speaking of evolution, you young punks can stop evolving my monsters! Lickitung, Tangela and Rhydon were useless enough without you tainting them with stripes and spikes and scowls! If we wanted them to evolve, we would have done it the old fashioned way: by putting three of them together! I see what you did to Magneton! IF WE WANTED MAGNETON TO EVOLVE, WE WOULD JUST PUT THREE TOGETHER.

Where was I? Oh yeah, your fancy colors. We didn't have color back in my day! We had black and puke green and we were grateful! People at the store would say, "Welcome to Cerulean City, the most vibrant city in Kanto. Would you like to see a third color?" and you would reply, "No, sir, I am satisfied with two" because THATS THE WAY GOD MADE IT.

And what's with these monsters that roam around the whole region? I don't care if you are a legendary, you stay in ONE house or cave. YOU DONT MOVE. I tells ya, the whole world is loosing control. Pretty soon these creatures will all be free. What kind of world has no pocket monster fighting action paralleling cockfighting? I am not sure, but it's a world I want none to do with!

Maybe this old fool is too naive for this new world. But with God as my witness, I will keep my level 100 Charmander, level 100 Magikarp, and level 100 Pikachu by my side forever. You kids wouldn't understand because you're too busy 'evolving' your monsters, watching their stat-ee-vees and teachin' them moves to balance against your friends. What a waste of time! I could beat the Elite Four everytime, back when that MEANT something. So you can go fight strangers over them thar internets if you will, but as for me and my monsters, we will retire from a world which no longer needs us.

Wow...simply amazing. I don't know how but it was the greatest thing I've ever read.
    Now I understand what you were trying to say...I think...
    Um...be thankful for what you get? Or maybe things are becoming unnecessary...
    Something like that.

Years
  • Yesterday 07:16 AM
    SMGKururu

Wait a second, you're calling me "Grandpa" because I'm calling a game that was complex in it's day simple!? HOW DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE!?

But the thing is, back when we played GSC, everyone one thought it was complex.
    In 10 years, everyone will look back at HGSS and think how simple it is

Get it now grandpa?
    take it easy on the grandpa joke, im only joking :). Besides, im probably around the same age, if not, older than you

uchiha sasuke

2337-8711-7616
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2020
    Back in MY day we had 150 monsters, and that was ALL you needed! None o' these new-fangled 'cutey' monsters for children!

I am proud that at least someone shares some of my ideas.
    Personally, I've felt this change after the second generation.
    It seems, that you, my friend, sensed it after the first generation.

So, what about you, all 1st generation starters?
    Do you fancy this giant step between the 1st and the 4th generation.

I like things that have a beginning, a middle and an end.
    However, some think that pokemon are infinite.
    Well, you now think that they are, but you'll soon discover, you are in a world that's more complex than the real one.

I have faith, that HG/SS can make a huge lap in pokemon games and bring back a lot positive responses, but, it's still impossible for them to return to our loved 151.

I remember the first time I saw a Mew. It was so shocking for me to see that my neighbour had something like that, while I didn't even know its existence.

I understand that Nindendo or Gamefreak or however it is, I don't mind, it's doing business out there and they are publishing more games, not because they still love it, like the first enthusiasm, but for simple commercial reasons.

Finally, I hope HearGold will far exceed all our expectations and will make the people that trully love pokemon get in touch once again, although I am pretty sure that won't happen.

On another note, let's focus on this:
    But the thing is, back when we played GSC, everyone one thought it was complex.
    In 10 years, everyone will look back at HGSS and think how simple it is

Get it now grandpa?
    take it easy on the grandpa joke, im only joking :). Besides, im probably around the same age, if not, older than you

I like jokes and I have to say it, this was a successful one.
    The thing is, each time get much more complex. I do understand the great graphics improvement is part of our lives, but we need to stay close to our goal, which is not how to impress someone.
    Also, in 10 years when we'll look back (I hope that we will both be fine, as life sometimes is unpredicted) I am not sure,whether we'll keep in touch with pokemon.
    That's why I really want to see the end of this world.

Let something new and unique begin.

Last edited:

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Yes! Finally, someone showing some spirit! :D These games are going to be the most awesome games ever. =D

These games won't meet your expectations, they will exceed them. Even the guy from Nintendo said "expect great things."

I completely agree
    I think HGSS will not only exceed our expectations, They'll make Johto the best region yet again

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back