• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is mental illness so common today?

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
i think its either people are mistaking stuff for mental illness, or, people are just being more open about it. mental illness is not as stigmatized i think, as it used to be?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Or how many people are told they're just ~going through a rough patch~ when they might have a mental illness?
See, I think it's the opposite. Many people are told they have mental illness when they're just going through a rough patch. Maybe the reverse happens too, but I do think there's a problem with over-diagnosis. It happened to me, after all. Twice.

Last edited:
Years
See, I think it's the opposite. Many people are told they have mental illness when they're just going through a rough patch. Maybe the reverse happens too, but I do think there's a problem with over-diagnosis. It happened to me, after all. Twice.

I think though they should consider the possibility, just to be safe?
But of course, i am curious about your experience? Misdiagnosis is always a problem, so yea, they should be careful

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I think though they should consider the possibility, just to be safe?
But of course, i am curious about your experience? Misdiagnosis is always a problem, so yea, they should be careful
I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was like 8 or so, which may or may not have been accurate. I was definitely over the top energetic to the point where it was disruptive, but I don't know that that's really a mental disorder. I think they just stuck the label on me so they could deal with it more easily. I was put on Adderall (amphetamines) for it and the medication mellowed me out without any really significant side-effects, so I guess this one could really go either way. I didn't have any problems when I went off it when I was like 15 or so, so I strongly suspect it was just me being a kid.

I was diagnosed with depression when I was about 10. This was a definite misdiagnosis based on exaggerated information provided by the school and my parents to the physician (over literally one incident) and the physician not doing due diligence. I was put on Wellbutrin (bupropion) for it and it seriously messed me up; I started having extreme mood swings and became suicidal several times (I have never, ever been suicidal while off of this drug). When I was taken off it when I was about 14, the difference was nearly instantaneous; within a day or two, my emotional state completely normalized and my mood improved drastically. I'm 28 now and I'm still sore about this to this day; this never should have happened, it's common knowledge you don't give kids antidepressants. The physician responsible should have been barred from the industry if you ask me.

Ironically the physician who got me off of both of those drugs, to whom I owe a lot, later ended up in prison for apparently being a child molester. It's a strange world.

Last edited:
Years
I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was like 8 or so, which may or may not have been accurate. I was definitely over the top energetic to the point where it was disruptive, but I don't know that that's really a mental disorder. I think they just stuck the label on me so they could deal with it more easily. I was put on Adderall (amphetamines) for it and the medication mellowed me out without any really significant side-effects, so I guess this one could really go either way. I didn't have any problems when I went off it when I was like 15 or so, so I strongly suspect it was just me being a kid.

ADHD is a weird one because, to the best of my knowledge, the symptoms can lessen as you mature or they can not. The problem with ADHD is that people often only consider the "hyperactivity" part and forget the legitimate problems that come from the "attention deficit" part. People diagnose it based almost entirely on "H" when the "AD" is the more significant part. Not every hyperactive kid has ADHD and a lot of people with ADHD display no hyperactivity at all. That's why I feel like the now "outdated" term of ADD was probably better.

From a broader perspective though, while over diagnosis/misdiagnosis is definitely a thing with some conditions I think that the greater awareness of mental health issues is probably more responsible for why it seems more common, although perhaps also ironically responsible for those who are misdiagnosed to an extent.

In fact, while greater societal awareness has been, without question, a very good thing for people who actually suffer mental illnesses, I'd go as far as saying an unfortunate side-effect is that it opens the way for misdiagnosis and also self-diagnosis. Now, that's not to say that self-diagnosis is always wrong. I self-diagnosed my depression and this was later confirmed by my doctor and psychologist working in tandem. What I'm talking about is the people who don't know the difference between being depressed and having depression... and yeah to an extent the people who cry depression all over social media or whatever because it feels good to have people worry about them. I feel like a lot of people go through a bad phase, realise that the way that makes them feel sounds a lot like depression and then assume that they have the illness and there's a lot of people in general who misconstrue what depression is. That is to say, people who think feeling sad for a long period of time because of a specific stimulus is the same thing as clinical depression, which is an illness caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. I don't think I need to explain that last group of people I mentioned, they're in the minority and while they contribute a lot to the stigmas and misconceptions around mental illness, I'd rather we tried to help them the same as anyone else because that's better than mistaking someone with a legitimate problem for someone seeking attention.

So yeah, to expand on my earlier post, the seeming surge in mental illnesses isn't actually a result of them becoming more common. The vast majority of the apparent spread of mental illnesses is simply because we as a society have become more aware of mental illnesses as a health issue and not just people being babies or assholes. This awareness has also lead to a smaller group of people who are misdiagnosed or self-diagnosed who claim to have, or believe they have, mental illnesses they don't have. What's most important though, as I said, is making damn sure proper help is given to every single one of those people because it's very easy for a person with a legitimate problem from the first group to be mistaken for one of the people in the second. Be cautious with things like medication, but make sure everyone has access to what they need to ensure good mental health.

Back