• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is the opening so short?

okjoek

Hoenn champ
Years
  • I swear the black and white opening theme in english felt like it was only 20 seconds! It didnt realy ryhme or have any catchy beat or anything. But the episodes for this season are great!

MadaraUchiha.

Typhlosion Master
    Years
  • Well probably because it is so short. Seems to me they get shorter each season. I thought SLV was really short but this was like... wow, but IMO I think the starting is actually really good, just wish it was longer.

Years
  • Because #1 Commercials and it's Cartoonnetwork, so expect a lot of that, #2 Japan doesn't have as many commercials as the rest of the world.

Also I think the North American/Europe dubbers are either low on money, time, or both. Since Pokemon is less popular than it used to be outside of Japan, but even in Japan it's getting less popular.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I wasn't happy that the BW opening was so short. They could have included more clips from the Japanese opening and added more lyrics.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I dislike the length of the opening as well. I can suffice with one minute, but 30 seconds makes it look like they didn't even try to make a decent theme. And I thought Digimon Data Squad's theme was short... At this rate, we won't even have a theme in a few years.

Because #1 Commercials and it's Cartoonnetwork, so expect a lot of that, #2 Japan doesn't have as many commercials as the rest of the world.

Also I think the North American/Europe dubbers are either low on money, time, or both. Since Pokemon is less popular than it used to be outside of Japan, but even in Japan it's getting less popular.

Stupid commercials; every network seems to be a bit too focused on it these days, even going as far to wreck the credits of certain shows.

I'm surprised the North American/European dubbers would be limited on time and budget... Money is one thing (which I kind of find hard to believe due to the apparent success of the games in the U.S.), but time is another. If they get a good singer/composer, time shouldn't even be an issue. If a masterpiece like this song can be composed in under 2.5 hours by the artist with a day's notice, the Pokemon anime should be able to get something decent and catchy enough.

Strangely enough, I kind of wish 4Kids had influence over the themes again. IMO, all of their themes for Pokemon were catchy, and they have enough money to produce two decent theme songs for the heck of it, at least (...the other demos are a bit iffy, and they had enough money to offer viewers a choice between multiple themes in an online poll).

Last edited:

Drekin

We all live in a...
    Years
  • It did feel like it was really short but I think that wouldn't be much of a problem if the music was better. The new graphics were okay at least.

They should have redone the first season's opening with the new characters added in lol. It was the very best. Like no one ever was...

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
    Years
  • O-okay just watched it and...It sure isn't as good as the Japanese one. ._.
    Like...I like the chorus and all, but it's way too short. >_<
    And I don't really like how they randomized the different parts of the opening. xD

vaporeon7 said:
    Because Cartoon Network are greedy. They need more time for ads. If anyone has watched Pokemon on Channel 10 in Australia you may notice that they edit out some of the episode for the two host. Which annoys me.

Gotta agree. x]

luf100

Team Rocket Grunt
    Years
  • When I watched the first episode online, I hardly realized there even was a theme because it was so short. xD I had to go back and see it again for it to register. It's not as good as the Japanese one, but I can live with it. The theme isn't what I want to see when I watch the anime anyway. I just want to get into the story. *shrug*

At least they kept the graphics that the Japanese one has. I kind of thought they might take clips from the episodes that aired in Japan already and put together a theme that way.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Oh wow the theme is so short! You better just be glad they reused some of the Japanese intro instead of creating an episode clip piece of crap.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think I'm the only one that likes it. I think they used the best parts from the Japanese opening, imo. It doesn't seem that much shorter than other openings.

~it's not always Black and White but your heart always knows what's right~

Oh and I also like how the theme song is a lot similar to Hoenn, which was also a "restarted" region. "It's always hard when the journey begins, hard to find your way, hard to make new friends", then compare that to Advanced: "Take a step and I'm on my way, gunna start all over again". Both of which imply the restarts that the games were aiming for, while this song expands upon that more than Hoenn imo, forcing the whole new start thing. /not exactly related to length but whatever

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I think I'm the only one that likes it. I think they used the best parts from the Japanese opening, imo. It doesn't seem that much shorter than other openings.

~it's not always Black and White but your heart always knows what's right~

Oh and I also like how the theme song is a lot similar to Hoenn, which was also a "restarted" region. "It's always hard when the journey begins, hard to find your way, hard to make new friends", then compare that to Advanced: "Take a step and I'm on my way, gunna start all over again". Both of which imply the restarts that the games were aiming for, while this song expands upon that more than Hoenn imo, forcing the whole new start thing. /not exactly related to length but whatever

Well, past themes seem to have been ~47 seconds long, prior to the Sinnoh ones... and the original theme was fortunately a minute long... The reduction to 30 seconds just makes it seems like the theme length is going to decrease even further as we progress to the seasons. Possibly to 20 seconds? 15 seconds? 10 seconds? 5 seconds? ZERO SECONDS?! Something as long and catchy as the Advanced Generations themes would be fine with me...

Nice catch on the mentioning of BW's "restart lyrics". Pokemon Advanced theme's restart lyrics hit home for me because I lost two Sapphire cartridges, so I've had to restart at least twice in terms of purchasing another Pokemon version (not counting actual game playthroughs in my 2nd Sapphire and my Emerald cartridges). T_T But yeah, the restart lyrics are very fitting with Generation 5's whole concept of rebirth.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • It's true that the theme isnt what I am there to see unlike kanto though the end of hoenn, then I would actualy look forward not to missing the opening (lol)

I think it would be great if they were to re use the original theme, but add clips from the actual episodes from THIS season rather than the first seasons usual drawn looking ones. keeping up to date, while not forgeting what made pokemon pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2014
    I usually skip openings, but because its so short I don't get bored is it an actual song? if so how is it called?

zlip

______
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    its my fav one yet because its so sort and simple and i love the cgi! the humans ruin the opening. after all isnt the show spossed to be about pokemon?

Years
  • I also found the intro far too short. In addition to that, what really angered me when I watched the dub of the first two episodes was that the Pokémon in the intro were all revealed from the beginning. In the Japanese version they were shown as silhouettes until they had been encountered by Ash and were revealed little by little. I thought that was a really cool function which added to the mystery of seeing a new region, and I don't see why they took it away. Lazyness?

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I was shocked at how short it was. I can't wait until we get a full version of the song-but that might not be until the Victini, Reshiram and Zekrom movies come out next year...

I hate that they are so greedy that they cut the song and pieces of the anime. ='( Apparently TPCi got really ticked off at Cartoon Network for cutting the Zoroark movie up. So, I'm sure CN is cutting the episodes also.

Back