• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why is this gen so underrated?

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
  • People have nostalgia goggles superglued to their faces, and they can't remove them to see that RSE is much better than GSC.

NatureKeeper

It is incredibly underrated. Most people thinks the games are bad, but everything was epic.

Years
  • What prior game even had a real story, other than just the player facing off against Team Rocket? I guess if story really matters in Pokemon...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Underrated isn't the case anymore. Do you see how many people on PC are practically begging for an RS remake? Haha. Gen III is my favorite though. First Pokemon game I beat was Sapphire (if we're not counting Snap! lol), so it holds a special place in my heart.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2012
    Underrated? Generation III? Don't make me laugh. It's totally unfairly the most overhyped generation there is. It may've been underrated like six years ago but not anymore.

I dislike it the most, which doesn't mean it's bad at all. But IT'S SO HYPED that pisses me off.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I don't feel it's SUPER underrated, maybe just a tad bit. I actually liked that generation the least, and I've got a theory as to why.

Now, in terms of actual games, R/S/E were great. Fantastic, even. Coming from the Gameboy, the Gameboy Advance was just so... Advanced! It was able to power such beautiful landscapes that were all vibrantly colorful, distinctly different, and wonderfully animated! Moving water, flowers shifting in the wind, leaving prints in the sand and ripples when you walk in the shallow water, ah man, and all this running in 60 frames per second of smoothness. Beautiful, even by today's standards.

This wonderful visual flair didn't stop there. The Pokemon you find in the tropical land of Hoenn, both familiar and new, were all beautifully colored and well-varied. Generation III bring some of my favorite designs for Pokemon in the entire series. The landscape, being tropical, game them an excuse to spread their creativity and give us some real beautiful Pokemon, that for the most part stand out among the 649 total we have.

Adding to that, the technology has advanced quite a bit too. The current box system, created in Ruby and Sapphire, is so much more convenient than before, and there's so much more to do in the games without having to link with a hub game. Contests, secret bases, all of the fun stuff you can do with friends!

Which leads me to my biggest problem with Generation III: Pokemon's success was winding down, and the fact that you couldn't trade Pokemon from R/B/Y/G/S/C really hampered the popularity of Ruby and Sapphire. As a result, Pokemon, which at its core is a very multiplayer-centric game, ended up being a one-person romp through the world and that pretty much being the end of it. Unless of course you had a friend with a copy and a link cable, but they were rarer than last generation.

Generation IV, though I prefer Gen III's Adventure, worked out much better, because while the GBA sold rather well, the Nintendo DS and DS Lite sold like hotcakes. More people picked up Pokemon, and finding someone was easier than ever, and not just because Wi-Fi; the fact that you didn't need Link Cables to play with someone was, and still is, probably the single best move on Nintendo/Game Freak's part. As a result, I had more fun with it.

And yes, I know I focused a lot about R/S/E on this analysis. Keep in mind that, while FireRed and LeafGreen helped a bit, it wasn't really enough to make much of a difference.

So, do I like Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald as games? Yes, I do.
    Do I like Generation III? Not as much as the others. It left a sour taste in my mouth.
    Do I want remakes of R/S/E? Absolutely.

tl;dr: Multiplayer lacked in Gen III, Wireless beats all.

Noel Kreiss

The Last Hunter
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2012
    Most kids here first played the 3rd gen as their first pokemon games to ever play, that's why kids back then can't say anything about it and we older fans know that the 1st and 2nd gens are way better. but now these kids are now like 14 and 15 and they are saying that 3rd gen is the best. tbh, I think they don't know anything before the 3rd gen games. I can't even remember any memorable events in the 3rd gens so what's the hype about them?

People have nostalgia goggles superglued to their faces, and they can't remove them to see that RSE is much better than GSC.
    Go check yourself in the mirror first before claiming that people have those goggles superglued to their faces while you have ignorance superglued to your mind.
    you can't just spew out those kinda words, you'll get flamed.

Last edited:

M16A1994

Team Rocket Executive
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2014
    Well, when the next games came out (RSE), many were still living in the GSC age. It seems that alot of these people were teenagers who just grew out of it and stuff. I wouldn't say the games are underated. They were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. This is proven by everyone begging for remakes, as well as the hacked roms nowadays.

People have nostalgia goggles superglued to their faces, and they can't remove them to see that RSE is much better than GSC.

Alright bro. Either you're trolling, or you were one of the little buttheads born after 2000.

Last edited:
    Years
    • DC
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I definitely read a lot of hate on the web for Gen 3 before I played it. But for me its my favorite gen. It fit that middle ground of just enough complexity without going overboard. Graphics were better on the GBA, but it wasn't going gimmicky like the DS. The region was fun, and pokemon were excellently designed. I did not feel that Sinnoh or Unova designed their pokemon as well.

My question is, why is Johto so overated #worststarters

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I liked this gen quite a bit. I thought most of the cities and towns were unique (floating water city, tree top city, the white mountain one, etc.). I can't remember a thing from it though. Haha.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2014
    I loved this Gen. Tons of people love this Gen. EVERYONE should love this Gen. Alot of people probably dont like it because they feel they added too many Pokemon and quit.

Skitty1

Highlight my signature :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2012
    Gen. III is good but it is not the best imo... my rating...

1. Gen II
    2. Gen I
    3. Gen IV
    4. Gen III
    5. Gen V

Last edited:

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
  • I was "Born" in this gen, so I love it of course. I think it's the best out of all games except for the fact it's obsolete now :(

Doogle3097

Hola.
    Years
  • This was the generation where the kids I know started playing, since by the release of R/S we were old enough and had already missed Gens 1 & 2, so people remember them but the originals are preferred for nostalgia reasons and the DS ones are all modern so I guess Gen 3 sort of became the middle child of the family.

EarthWolfblade

Returning breeder
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2013
    [SIZE="a"]As for the people saying the fans who started at Gen3 being ignorant about the originals, that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I'm 13 and I've played at least one version in every Gen. I don't mean remakes either. I think Gen1 was best,then again,my first game was FireRed so I guess my nostalgia is mainly directed toward the 1stGen. But anyway,I don't think Gen3 is underrated. Maybe back then,but not now[/SIZE]

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Go check yourself in the mirror first before claiming that people have those goggles superglued to their faces while you have ignorance superglued to your mind.
    you can't just spew out those kinda words, you'll get flamed.

Alright bro. Either you're trolling, or you were one of the little buttheads born after 2000.

And if this continues, I will slap you all with a Feebas and close the thread. :3c So you might wanna play nice!

Continue.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    I definitely read a lot of hate on the web for Gen 3 before I played it. But for me its my favorite gen. It fit that middle ground of just enough complexity without going overboard. Graphics were better on the GBA, but it wasn't going gimmicky like the DS. The region was fun, and pokemon were excellently designed. I did not feel that Sinnoh or Unova designed their pokemon as well.

My question is, why is Johto so overated #worststarters

I somewhat agree. Though Typhlosion's superior to Infernape, and Feraligatr is actually a good water starter, but inferior to other water starters except Samurott which I feel is more like Infernape except it's a water pokemon. Meganium on the other hand is the absolute worst grass starter IMO. If you're talking about overalls, then I agree.

IMO, people overlook both Second Generation and Third Generation. Second Generation being the strongest, and Third Generation being the weakest. I, however, go to the somewhat opposite direction of what people think. After selling most of my GBC and GBA games while I was in 10th Grade, both First and Third generation held a special place in my heart, while Second generation on the other hand, left a bitter taste after playing it for too long during my Childhood and teen years. I made a comeback as an adult with Pokemon Platinum.

Though right now, Underrated just isn't the case anymore since a lot of people, including myself, are asking for Remakes. However, Gamefreak decides to make a branched sequel to Black and White.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I used to mod this forum and yet I can't think of a single thing from RSE apart from that Sapphire had Kyogre on the box art. Reading through this thread has brought back a few memories - the town on stilts, the ashes around the Fire gym etc. - but maybe its lack of staying power in comparison to other generations is an experience other people have besides me. I can vividly remember things from Gen I/II, but this one seems to pass me by for some reason.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2012
    Gen 3 is my favourite and always will be. Many people have played it on an emulator, and I think on emulators, they look worse. Playing them on a REAL GBA is absolutely amazing.
    Also R/B/E had a very good storyline (B/W will always be my favourite though) compared to the previous two (but G/S had an okay storyline).

I think its mainly, as many people have said before me, because of the fact that the first fans were 'maturing up' and growing out of Pokemon. As I said, it will always be my favourite.

Years
  • I think the reason why Hoenn was such an underrated region was because of the designs of the Pokemon, they are drastically different from other regions.

Back