• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Pokemon should do a MMORPG

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    Firstly let me just say im sorry if there is many current topics on why or why not Pokemon should make a MMORPG, I feel I have several good resons to why they should. I will not just list a few silly things such as, everyone loves pokemon. I will layout a few good reasons why.

Now, Pokemon is a massive industry. Pokemon for me was the first real cartoon that I fell in love with, and im sure it was the same for many people. Pokemon is relatable, every kid wants to be a pokemon master back in 1998 anyways. Now people will say that only kids would play, from some of the research I did, thats what many people think. I must dissagree with this. Firstly when Pokemon was introduced to England, and I found myself a 8 year old watching it back in the 1998 - 2000. I was myself a small child. And like many other people I fell out of the series and lost track. But look at me all grown up, and still finding myself buying HeartGold, Black and white. Why? Because I love the series. Even if I havent seen any episodes past series 3 (currently re watching all episodes).

Why does myself and many other people still buy pokemon games, and what does this have to do with my point on not only kids will play the game? Well I think that pokemon is too good to not play. Its apealing to everyone, and back at its peak yes kids were watching it, but now thoose kids are all grown up. And if you look at the amount of people buying the latest games, and the amount of people trying to find or playing unoffical pokemon games, its massive. So what im saying is there is at least 3 groups of people who will play. The Pokemon "nerd" who has watched every episode, played everygame. Thats a guarentee, and there is a lot of people like that. The buyers of the latest game, im sure that there is a wide range of ages playing pokemon black, and im sure alot of people they will surly play Pokemon MMORPG. Why? because they are obviously still intrested. And finally the people playing Unofficial pokemon online games. What would you rather play, a dodgey server pokemon game were it could go down at any time, its quite possible it will be taked down due to nintendo or who ever making it come down, or a an offical game that is clearly going to be stable.

Now ive seen people say "pokemon as a MMORPG is too small, there would be nothing to do". Now yes and no. What I see people say is, "fight gym leaders, have battles, level pokemon". Well yeah that the bace, but there is so much more that they can implement. E.g. make the game played by PLAYERS not AI. Why not have gym leaders who are plays, elite 4 who are players so on so on. I know it seems difficult to maybe do with people not playing or going on holiday, but there wouldnt be just 8 gyms per region im talking 30 gyms per region. And server leaders. Plus you cant just become a leader you have to do all sorts. However I know that some one could be a leader and simply have the best pokemon and just dominate a gym and no one win. Tere is a very simple way to get around this, have the AI gyms with computer leaders, were people can level up.

I see the game more of a World of warcraft / Final fantacy. Were you run about and when you get attacked or attack it goes in to a more final fantacy 7 type of battle, and thats how it should be. That would be the best way.

With this way PvP like on wow would be impossible but its do able, say in World of warcraft arena 3v3 you pick 1 pokemon to controll and attack healing attacking deffending in that sort of way.

Now theese are just a few ideas, and my answer to the people who say its not possible, please message on this thread why it would be a good idea, and bad idea. and if you say bad I will try to counter you with reasons why its good. so on so on.

Thanks

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    I wouldn't want to use a computer or a console every time I wanted to play Pokemon. I think this is a bad idea. The developers made it handheld for certain reasons they specified and I don't see the 3DS or DS being able to run an MMORPG any time soon. It already has excellent multi-player capabilities IMO. Also an MMORPG would require a constant internet connection and the elite 4 members being other players wouldn't be a good idea if you get stuck in a bad server.

Good luck convincing Gamefreak to do an MMORPG, you'll need it =P

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I wouldn't want to use a computer or a console every time I wanted to play Pokemon. I think this is a bad idea. The developers made it handheld for certain reasons they specified and I don't see the 3DS or DS being able to run an MMORPG any time soon. It already has excellent multi-player capabilities IMO. Also an MMORPG would require a constant internet connection and the elite 4 members being other players wouldn't be a good idea if you get stuck in a bad server.

Good luck convincing Gamefreak to do an MMORPG, you'll need it =P

Like every other side game, this would always be in addition to the handheld games, obviously.

A lot of my friends wished for a Pokemon MMO, except our layout wasn't too similar to yours.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • There are/was 2 Mmorpg pokemon games out not made by nintendo but still. Theres still one left thou. I be happy to give you some info if you message me.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I like how every time someone suggests that Pokemon branch out more, everyone thinks that this means that they want to discontinue the handhelds. It makes me laugh.

Anyways, a Pokemon MMO could most certainly work, but in turn a lot of work would have to be put into it. As you said, just putting any random handheld game as an MMO (even if it encompassed all of the regions thus far.) there wouldn't be enough to do. In order for this to work, the developers would have to do a massive, MASSIVE overhaul.

They would need to implement every possible thing that gives MMO's their distinctive trait, their addictiveness. Plus they would have to keep the wants of the players in check as well. I think for this to work the best, they would have to make the MMO a little more similar to the anime, in that there are way more than just 13 or so towns, bordering more on 20-40 towns. And since in one episode of the anime, it was made apparent that there are more than 8 gyms per region, so the developers would have to implement that most likely. (Possibly in the form of "Side Gyms") Plus the game would have to be loaded with a lot of non-gym content. Side quests, mains quests, evil teams, the works.

In addition to that the pvp would have to be amazing and be able to provide to what would probably be its most predominate users: the competitive battlers. So in that sense, combat would have to be kept at least semi-similar to the games.

Other than that the developers would probably get nonstop requests from everyone about the the things every or most every Pokemon player wants: All of the regions (Although I would assume that these regions would either have to be massively upscaled, or just replace them with new, bigger regions altogether.) most likely the ability to choose your starting region, maybe new Pokemon, trainer customization, ect.

Like I said, it could work, and I hope one day it does happen, but it would take a lot of work to do. And considering how Nintendo hasn't ever handled an MMO before (to my knowledge, nor has GF for that matter) and already have a very steady supply of money and fans, I don't think they would be the people to put so much money into this. And also considering how Pokemon is already divided by 2 (possibly 3 I think) companies at this point. (At least as far as MD is concerned I think Chun Soft gets to get in on some of the profit, not to mention get paid) I think they would be reluctant to give another company some rights to Pokemon. Also considering how MMOs do require large amounts of money not only to make, but also to maintain and to update, I think either a 3rd party company would have to put in money (and probably also make the game) in order for it to happen. Another major problem is that a Pokemon MMO could potentially have a pretty high chance of utterly bombing, depending on how many are really behind the idea, both from the fans and developers, and how willing to fans will be to the changes, there could be a pretty high reisk factor involved here.

So it wouldn't really be a true Pokemon MMO, most likely, it would be a game like Pokemon in the form of an MMO, but it would take place in a completely new region, have different rules than the handhelds, so on and so forth.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Anything could potentially work in a different style of game (Mario does it for instance as a turn-based game - see the first two Paper Mario games) but with Pokemon... firstly I'd only see it happening by a different developer to Game Freak, who are content to keep to the handhelds and continue to make their millions from that (they've said it themselves basically). Secondly - would Nintendo ever move off consoles and into MMORPG? I doubt this given what they do is a tried and proven forumula and making too much from one game might arguably 'steal' sales from each other - plus Nintendo aren't much into making games that need continuous updates like an MMORPG would. Besides it would bring about a lot of risk to try it, and although the success could be great, the potential failure would also be very significant.

Personally what one has from Pokemon Rumble is about as close as we'll likely see - my two cents anyways.

momoa

Casual Pokefan
    Years
  • I once tried out a Pokemon MMORPG, and I hated it. But I stick by my belief that anything Nintendo touches is gold, so as long as it's Nintendo-approved, I'm playing it.

Satoshi_poketo monsta

Pokemon Master.
    Years
  • There's Wi-Fi connections after all. So there's no reason for an MMO Pokemon games created. I don't know if I'm gonna like it either but, main Pokemon games are best in hand-held consoles.

Besides, 5th gen already has a lot of new online features where players from all over the world can gather to play together.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    Yeah I see why people woudnt like it or would like it. However the fact of the matter is if you say a 3D Pokemon MMO, everyone starts to druel, and to be perfectly honest to get it rigt they would need to do so much, including hire another company to do some of it since nintendo and GF dont do MMO's.

However im sure if you ask any of the main MMO developers they would snatch their hands of to make this. Just for the cut they would get. Pokemon is world known, for its cartoons its games and the fact its been going strong for 12 years. The sales so far for Black and White are 5.1million. So just in that little stat there are still 5.1million people at least who still buy games.

If you honestly tell me right now that if Nintendo tomorow morning announced Pokemon MMO, you wouldnt be jumping for joy. I know I would.

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2011
    Pokemon will "eventually" become a MMO in the future but will still be on a Nintendo console - the current consoles, either handheld or standard (WII etc) (Nintendo based) dont have the hardware capabilities to hold a MMO - possibly a small server based one but not massive.

Right now i think they make more money on releasing new pokemon gen games for the consoles as millions of people buy them regardless. Also i read (gah forgot where) that they want the games to bring people together and that they were not a huge fan on the internet as you dont officially get together with someone and battle/trade and enjoy the game as one. In my defense is that "get with the times" lol.

Saying that i damn hope in my lifetime i get to see a pokemon MMO come true - i would play it even if im in my 50s ;D.

Anyway - time to expand my mind abit before work on what will work as pokemon mmo.

Even the world might seem small in a single player to multiplayer you could actually really expand the size from proportion to make it feel huge - and you could always add more freedom, exploration and region places to head to.

To someone stating that the starting town will be jam packed - this goes to the paragraph above - sure it seems small if you have the exact size of the single player map to massive multiplayer but once again you can increase the town 10 fold and make it sizeable to fit the gametype it is aimed at. (besides all MMOS starting areas are jam packed when first start) - With pokemon you could always have more starting locations such as smaller towns, cities or whatnot.

--------------------

The MMO aspect would work quite good - the social part of the game would be fantastic.

The game wouldnt really revolve around "classes" as everyone would be a standard "trainer" first off.

But the "trainer" can branch off into sub-jobclass in a sense (like profession). Could be a few different professions to be had, each one having their own advantages etc. Already have trainer, breeder, nurse, thief, law, ranger, scientist/researcher, beauty and so forth. All those could be a subclass from the main focus of "trainer" as all of them would be able to battle etc.

Pokemon gyms would of course be around the place - and they could be the "bosses" / instanced battles that can be taken place. Collecting them - a certain amount from 1 badge to the maximum could allow you to enter certain competitions/tournaments and unlock certain places around the world itself - thus opening "zone" content and means you could place more rarer pokemon in places that require more "skill" i guess to achieve.

How the battle system will work is still beyond me - it could work where you battle someone and you be teleported to an instance (yet you are still visible by others in the real world) and after be teleported back to the world. I don't think a "real" time combat and or see the actual pokemon in the wild will work - it could i guess if done right but i think teleported into an instance might be best for its kind.

Anyway i got work now so might continue my brain outpouring again after! (yes i just watched pokemon all over again and makes me all giggly inside thinking bout playing with 1000s of people OHHHHH!)

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Less online crap, more back to basics. That's my motto. I hate the Pokemon transition to online play with a passion, and a MMORPG would just mess it up further.

Years
  • When I saw this topic I was like 'Yeah Pokemon MMORPG awesome' but a good point was brought up, isn't it pretty much already one? You level up in your little story, and then you go online for the fighting.

The 3D thing.... this is going to be a horrible example but does anyone remember the Digivices that came out around the time of Season 3 of Digimon. She shook it, once in a while ran into a bad guy, beat it, and then you could also hook your Digivice up to the computer and fight people with your digimon. It was very stupid and had bad graphics, and you can battle people over wifi, so how would this relate to Pokemon.

The same reason we love online play with the 360 and Ps3, downloadable content.

So I've completely branched away from the MMORPG feeling, but what if you could enhance your rpg experience (I know back to basics is awesome but we do keep forgetting Pokemon is an rpg game so will always have possibilities). You know how mmorpgs have quests and new ones are always made or available for download. Let's say that you give Nintendo $10 or so, bam you can download a whole new set of islands on to your DS game with a few more gyms. Going back to the whole Digivice thing, while your DS is plugged in to find awesome downloadable content to help up your Pokemon's level you can also battle in 3D, but unlike normal wifi battles maybe it can be more rpg like, maybe there can be achievements for how you battle (like if you get a lot of freeze haxes) and when you get achievements you unlock more downloadable content that is free. Like being able to change your character's appearance or new special hold items.

That was just Laure in dream land again.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    When I saw this topic I was like 'Yeah Pokemon MMORPG awesome' but a good point was brought up, isn't it pretty much already one? You level up in your little story, and then you go online for the fighting.

The 3D thing.... this is going to be a horrible example but does anyone remember the Digivices that came out around the time of Season 3 of Digimon. She shook it, once in a while ran into a bad guy, beat it, and then you could also hook your Digivice up to the computer and fight people with your digimon. It was very stupid and had bad graphics, and you can battle people over wifi, so how would this relate to Pokemon.

The same reason we love online play with the 360 and Ps3, downloadable content.

So I've completely branched away from the MMORPG feeling, but what if you could enhance your rpg experience (I know back to basics is awesome but we do keep forgetting Pokemon is an rpg game so will always have possibilities). You know how mmorpgs have quests and new ones are always made or available for download. Let's say that you give Nintendo $10 or so, bam you can download a whole new set of islands on to your DS game with a few more gyms. Going back to the whole Digivice thing, while your DS is plugged in to find awesome downloadable content to help up your Pokemon's level you can also battle in 3D, but unlike normal wifi battles maybe it can be more rpg like, maybe there can be achievements for how you battle (like if you get a lot of freeze haxes) and when you get achievements you unlock more downloadable content that is free. Like being able to change your character's appearance or new special hold items.

That was just Laure in dream land again.

No no no, no micro-transactions. D; Those kill so many MMOs. If there really has to be a cost to the online component, make it a 10 dollar a month fee or something for unlimited access to it. I quit my old MMO due to microtransactions - basically, if you threw a couple thousand dollars at the game, you had game-breaking equipment and items.

The way an MMO would work in my opinion would be like this - they would have to create a new region, which probably wouldn't have any new Pokemon, but every one available in the other generations. The region would be HUGE, with routes much longer than in the actual handheld, and enough cities that people won't all congregate in one. There would also be a ton of servers to hold all the people that want to play.

You could team up in parties of two or three, but no more, and if you're in a party of three you could choose your party style being "triple" or "rotation". You would have quests that you could pick up at maybe a professor, a townsperson, Nurse Joy, etc. They could involve hatching an egg, levelling a Pokemon, increasing happiness of a Pokemon, catching a certain amount of a certain kind of Pokemon, breeding two of them, and many other kinds of quests. I believe they would throw out the staple quest of "Kill these monsters this many times", and make different kinds of quests.

Instanced areas would be the way they are in WoW - only you and your party can go into your version of that instance. There would be a quest initially that requires you to capture the rare Pokemon inside, so it would have to be run a few times to get everyone to complete that quest. Afterwards, while that Pokemon may not be there, there will be other high-risk, high-experience Pokemon available to catch or battle if you run it multiple times for more experience. They would also have solo instances, the gyms. The gyms would be the same as the other instances in that only you can see your version of it, with no other party members allowed in this case.

As far as fighting, it wouldn't go into MMO style. It's possible that they could work it the way many turn-based RPGs do - there's a Pokemon wandering around on the world map, if you touch it, it sends you into a turn-based battle. On the world map people looking at you would see you in a dust-cloud with the Pokemon and would be unable to interrupt.

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
  • If Pokemon made an MMO, be prepared to BUY every generation as an "expansion" if it's on a computer, or a whole new cartridge to be even able to play at all with new pokemon.

I'm more looking for a 3D pokemon game that isn't horrible to come out than an MMO, there are way to many MMOs as is, and they tend to ruin great franchises (Warcraft...)

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2011

No no no, no micro-transactions. D; Those kill so many MMOs. If there really has to be a cost to the online component, make it a 10 dollar a month fee or something for unlimited access to it. I quit my old MMO due to microtransactions - basically, if you threw a couple thousand dollars at the game, you had game-breaking equipment and items.

The way an MMO would work in my opinion would be like this - they would have to create a new region, which probably wouldn't have any new Pokemon, but every one available in the other generations. The region would be HUGE, with routes much longer than in the actual handheld, and enough cities that people won't all congregate in one. There would also be a ton of servers to hold all the people that want to play.

You could team up in parties of two or three, but no more, and if you're in a party of three you could choose your party style being "triple" or "rotation". You would have quests that you could pick up at maybe a professor, a townsperson, Nurse Joy, etc. They could involve hatching an egg, levelling a Pokemon, increasing happiness of a Pokemon, catching a certain amount of a certain kind of Pokemon, breeding two of them, and many other kinds of quests. I believe they would throw out the staple quest of "Kill these monsters this many times", and make different kinds of quests.

Instanced areas would be the way they are in WoW - only you and your party can go into your version of that instance. There would be a quest initially that requires you to capture the rare Pokemon inside, so it would have to be run a few times to get everyone to complete that quest. Afterwards, while that Pokemon may not be there, there will be other high-risk, high-experience Pokemon available to catch or battle if you run it multiple times for more experience. They would also have solo instances, the gyms. The gyms would be the same as the other instances in that only you can see your version of it, with no other party members allowed in this case.

As far as fighting, it wouldn't go into MMO style. It's possible that they could work it the way many turn-based RPGs do - there's a Pokemon wandering around on the world map, if you touch it, it sends you into a turn-based battle. On the world map people looking at you would see you in a dust-cloud with the Pokemon and would be unable to interrupt.

I always wanted a pokemon mmorpg and what you described in terms of game play is more or less ideal.

The party system could be adapted from those guild systems in other mmorpgs. Having to play with the same 2 people every time might become abit of a chore so I guess they should allow for some flexibility in that area. Perhaps they can create an option to pair you up with another trainer in the same area if you want a partner every time you start to play.

However, I do think that they should only start with the Kanto and Johto region and leave the other versions for later expansion packs. This is because I want them to make complete 3d models of all the pokemons and it's going to be extremely messy if we have all 600++ pokemons running around right at the start.

Regarding the land/region size, it just needs to be of a much larger scale, something like the anime with smaller towns with additional side-games and competitions and also more gyms.

Having players as gym leaders doesn't seem possible at all but I guess we can have a fighting dojo. People can also pretend to be unofficial gym leaders if they want to but they shouldn't have any significant impact on the storyline.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • *shrugs* I dont really like the idea of an MMORPG, cause I would feel compelled to play it being the "PokeNerd" you label me as, and so I would have to buy more RAM, a new Hard drive, or a new computer, thus wasting a lot of mah monehz D: Cause my computer now sucks. And yes, I know I can choose to play blah blah blah whatever, I would anyway. Second, a thing that makes Pokemon Pokemon is its handheld, at least for the main story and most of the spin offs, like mystery dungeon and Poke Ranger. The reason is, you can play in the car, you can play at home, you can play on THE FRIGGIN TOILET ( I find myself doing this often)! Its like that for a reason. Unlike games like CoD or Reach, you can play it anywhere at ANYTIME. Easily accessible and readily available, meaning lets say for the MMORPG if the server goes down due to maintenance and whatnot you cant play. Now, lets try a theory. With a Poke MMORPG,if its successful, will decline the sales of the Handheld games by..Lets say 30%? Because the only way I see an MMORPG actually working is by combining all of the regions together as one. Meaning, there would be no need for the handheld games anymore. Now, in the short term, with that 30% decline in sales (it may be more, it may be less..just an example) That means if they make say 1 million USD per year (horrible un exagerrated..Its just easy to do the math) Thats 300,000 USD they lose per year to a game where lets say membership is $10 a year (most games are 10-30$ per month..another example) That means if they had 1k players then they would make 10k USD per year.... But the rate of decline for the games itself would continue to drop more and more as players begin to realize that the MMORPG is cost efficient as to having to buy handheld games. Now, later on this would mean instead of coming out with new hand held games, they could just update the MMORPG and save money and time. In the long term, this would make lots of money probably. But, you have to equate the cost of servers, staff, designers, the idea people. and keeping the game running. PLUS the cost of the handheld games at the same time, for the early stages of the MMORPG. Also, you have to go through Beta tests, blah blah blah. In the short term, if the game sucks...Huge waste of money. Huge risk too, and thats the problem with a Poke MMORPG. Now I know this is all hypothetical, and based off my own ponderings, but was just giving my reason why I think it wouldnt work out. Sure, a MMORPG might be great for a little bit, but it would lose that great adventorous feeling of playing outside and being free while battling with your Pokes.

On another note, the only way that an MMORPG would work out would be to combine all the gens together and the regions, and make it so you could travel between the two, most likely not being able to use Poke from one region on another, enhancing the experience and play time. But since most of the regions are relativevly small, the time it would take to beat all of them and collect all Pokes to fill the Dex (Which I dont think would work out very well, unless you could trade..which would make the game much easier..*shrugs*) and the ability to battle other trainers. Though, how would you catch Pokes? Would it be like Mobs in most MMORPGs like WoW or RS? Where you have to wait or be the first to "attack"? Or would it be like when you wander into the grass you could catch Pokes by yourself? Also what about group battling? And like that how would it be an MMORPG?

As you can see, there is way to many holes in this idea. Being an avid MMORPGer that I am, plus a "Pokemon Nerd" as you would classify me, it wouldnt work out unless you made a totally new design of Pokemon games for the MMORPG, unless you somehow made it work like above, but then it would make Poke lose its..Flavor. All in all, it would fall through the cracks of the "Failed MMORPGs" and Pokemon games would forever be known as "Dude...remember that Poke MMORPG?" "what Poke MMORPG?" "I cant remember now..only remember it sucked..". And, if you made a totally new game design, it would probably end up like the spinoffs, and people like me who hate mystery dungeon and Poke rangers wouldnt play it, losing a signifigant amount of players (Sorry if you really like those games, I just dont like the style of game play *shrugs*)

Thank you for reading, I know a lot may be just my own speculation..But..*bows out*

ProGuava

ʇnoɥs puɐ ʇsıʍʇ
    Years
  • If Pokemon turned into a MMORPG, it might spark a new gaming style, and there might possibly be a chance that pokemon gaming in general would just be knock offs of each other and continue on (almost as they do today).

If there would be anything for pokemon to go into MMORPG, it could be maybe an extended and bigger version of the WIFI plaza, but it could extend into cities and you could roam around with your friends.

I would love it if pokemon just extended the wifi plaza, It would be a lot of fun!!!

If Pokemon turned into a MMORPG, it might spark a new gaming style, and there might possibly be a chance that pokemon gaming in general would just be knock offs of each other and continue on (almost as they do today).

If there would be anything for pokemon to go into MMORPG, it could be maybe an extended and bigger version of the WIFI plaza, but it could extend into cities and you could roam around with your friends.

I would love it if pokemon just extended the wifi plaza, It would be a lot of fun!!!

Last edited:
    Back