• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why they hatin'?

Xino

Banned
Years
  • Sinnoh became my favorite and still is even now with generation 5 out. I am truthfully not sure why so many people hated it. I do agree it may of been because a few gen 1 and 2 pokemon got new pre-ev and evolutions.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Haters gon' hate.

Sinnoh might not be smaller, but it *seems* smaller with Mt. Coronet bisecting it. The rival is an annoying pain in the rear. And they did drop the ball with most of the new evos for older Pokemon. But on the whole, I enjoyed Sinnoh. Platinum especially was a great game to play through, even if none of the 4th gen Pokemon found their way onto my main battling team (which is still 1st and 3rd gen Pokemon).

Really, I can see why people don't like Sinnoh, but the negatives weren't enough for me to dismiss the games.

big NATE alpha

Patriotic Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011
    I greatly enjoyed Sinnoh, but a lot of complaints I've heard are "the Pokemon are terrible, I hate them all, there's no good designs" (like Mr. Mime and Jynx were amazing :P) or simply that it's not Kanto/Johto. I don't really understand :/.
    I love the Gen IV Pokemon; it's the first time I've truly had a hard time picking a starter. I use several Gen IV Pokemon regularly in battles too (Infernape is awesome and Storm Drain Gastrodon has saved my skin more than once)... Oh well, to each his own.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, Platinum's not too bad (The Battle Frontier is growing on me). However, in DP, everything's too slow, the Pokédex is a bit naff (having the same number as Kanto isn't cool when you don't even include all the new pokémon). The Elite Four were horrendous in DP, even if they were higher-levelled than in Platinum (1st round).

The Battle Zone's appearance was disappointing both times...in its first iteration, it looks boringly similar to the rest of Sinnoh. In the Platinum version, it looks like it belongs in Hoenn, making no sense considering it's location (level with Snowpoint City). Even if it has a volcano, that doesn't mean it should be tropical!

But, tbh, I still love it, even in Diamond (although Platinum seems much better in comparison, especially as my Diamond is slightly broken, freezing quite often in the first snowy route).

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • Well, that was a corny title, was it not? Anyhow, Sinnoh has recieved a considerable amount of hate, among the fan community. What I'd like to know is what was it that made you dislike Sinnoh. Was there one particular thing that made you stray away from Sinnoh, or was it a multitude of things?

For me, ive only ever played Diamond (Planning on getting Platinum soon) And I didnt even play that after about two years after the initial release. The reason why im "Hatin" (Lol XD) on Sinnoh is because the way I see it, R/S/E were the second best games/generations out of all the Poke games, right behind HG/SS. Then came Sinnoh, and I was expecting it to be epic and all, but when I played it on my friends DS I was just like "MEhhh...Horrible names..Horrible Story line...horrible Pokes.." I especially hated the Legendaries designs and names, they just didnt..fit. *shrugs* But after reading about Plat. I really want to play it now..So I guess im not a hater anymore XD. But continueing on, after playing R/S/E, it seems as if the Poke games had considerably dropped in fun-ness and awesome-ness. I felt like Poke has betrayed me..By becoming suckish. Now I know differnet XD

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Sinnoh is my 2nd favorite (Hooen is my favorite region) region. The only dislike 2 of the Gen IV pokemon (Dialga and Rhyperior), all the other are well designed. The new evolutions were certainly a welcome addition.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • Word.

Well, I don't hate Hoenn, but I didn't find it amusing or exciting. Despite a lot of ideas came from Hoenn, it was still this stuck-between old and new game for me. Sinnoh expanded on them and played it right (for me). And I didn't like the Pokemon that much, in fact I only remember liking Treecko's evolutionary line off the top of my head.

I liked Sinnoh because there was just so much to do with old and new Pokemon. You didn't have to change the bikes, the contests were better. I have to admit though, it took some getting used to the crazy additions in some of the evolutionary lines.

:D Thank you! You just perfectly summed up my thoughts on both Hoenn and Sinnoh.

I greatly enjoyed Sinnoh, but a lot of complaints I've heard are "the Pokemon are terrible, I hate them all, there's no good designs" (like Mr. Mime and Jynx were amazing :P) or simply that it's not Kanto/Johto. I don't really understand :/.

LOL AT MR.MIME AND JYNX! Amen x3

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • Ugly graphics, ugly heroes, too slow and I hated most of the Pokemon. They fixed a lot of this in Platinum though, by making the graphics better, giving the heroes new outfits that looked better, sped it up and expanded the Pokedex.

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
    Years
  • well since most people think it was just a run off for ds pokemon games they think it sucks.......my question is why do people hate emerald....

BlazeGirl12

Just Another Pokemon Player
    Years
  • Well, I can see that some of the Pokemon designs weren't that great, the graphics were rather lackluster in some places, and the music, though it was better than Hoenn, wasn't exactly spectacular. But you know why I love Sinnoh? It was my very first region, that's why! :]

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • 1. Dawn. She is so ugly, no offense.
    2. Team Galactic, the stupidest villainous in Pokemon history imo.
    3. Storyline- Too slow
    4. Too many ugly Pokes. :/

ElectricScyther

The lessons we learn
    Years
  • I'm guessing it mostly has to do with new evos like Tangrowth, Lickitung, Mime Jr etc. Mr. Mime was good as it was, it didn't really need a baby form. And ones like Licky and Tangela were the same. They didn't need better stats or moves.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • Eh, I didn't "hate" Sinnoh. I wasn't Sinnoh's biggest fan, either. I think part of what I didn't like about the games was how they seemed so much easier than Gens I, II, and III. I felt as if they'd been dumbed down. But maybe that was just me. I, also, didn't care for the designs of some of the Pokemon. Yet, on the other hand, I love some of the Pokemon the region introduced. (Chimchar is a favorite, and the newest Eeveelutions gave me something I'd been wanting for YEARS; a grass and ice eeveelution.) Honestly, it wasn't the worst generation, but it wasn't the best, either. The few things I dislike:
    *Barry. He is possibly the most annoying rival/friend in any of the games. This is even counting Cheren. (who is pretty annoying)
    *Everything seemed... out of order. While exploring it for the first time, there was a lot that I'd missed because I didn't even know it was there. This resulted in me missing out on some pretty awesome Pokemon and being underlevelled. Honestly, I prefer going on one, straight path to the league. It makes it a lot easier.
    *The storyline was hard to follow and all over the place.
    *Like I said, it felt dumbed down for the kids.
    *Some of the Pokemon just looked... thrown together as a last minute afterthought. (The balloon ones, for example.)

It did bring a lot of great new things to the Pokemon gaming experience. So, I don't exactly hate it. But it isn't a favorite, certainly...

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Prefacing this, I haven't actually ventured through Sinnoh yet, but I've spoiled it enough to the point where I feel I should be able to give some feedback about it. >_>

1. Dawn. She is so ugly, no offense.
    2. Team Galactic, the stupidest villainous in Pokemon history imo.

Dawn isn't ugly. ;_; Though I might agree with you on #2 regarding the Galactic Grunts - I heard there was something about a warning regarding a bed? XD

to add up to what has been said, and this is purely based on my observation and alot of surfing through the net. I found out that people don't like the fact that the Sinnoh legendaries introduced in the 4th gen pokemon games somewhat made the pokemons of older generation weaklings or not on par with the legendaries of Sinnoh mainly Arceus and the creation Trio.

They didn't like the fact that those pokemons are of in a different level than the favorite pokemon of all time - Mewtwo. But I myself think that Mewtwo is still stronger than the creation trio though I don't think it can par with Arceus which is basically a God.

I don't really regard the Sinnoh Dragon trio as more "elevated" than the other legendary mascot trios - they're all of equivalent status in my eyes. It just so happened that Arceus was introduced in the same generation as the dimensional dragons, so I guess they're more associated with Arceus... I wish the "Dialga+Palkia=Arceus" thing wasn't true, though. >_> And honestly, once Generation 3 rolled around, people should have began to expect more iterations of Pokemon that have power comparable to Mewtwo.

Mewtwo's Base Stat Total (680) still equals the Base Stat Total of several mascot legendaries introduced since Generation 2 - barring Suicune, Groudon, Kyogre, and Kyuremu. Suicune is part of a "lesser" trio, Groudon and Kyogre were docked 10 points overall so Rayquaza could serve as their "mediator", and Kyuremu just has some stuff going on about him that Gray Version is likely to resolve (though if he is getting another Forme in Gray, I don't see why Kyuremu couldn't have 680 BST to begin with like Giratina did in DP).

Furthermore, I'm of the understanding that Sinnoh is disliked due to introduced so many darn legendaries (which didn't really bother me). Well, Unova seems to worsen this even more - we now have THREE legendary trios: One greater trio (the Tao Dragons) and two lesser trios (the Legendary Musketeers and the Legendary Kami). The Musketeer trio even manages to squeeze in an unofficial fourth member!

The main problem with Sinnoh's legendaries were the "offset"-ish nature of them. In comparison to the Hoenn counterparts:

Weather Trio = Dragon Trio
    Lati@s = Cresselia & Darkrai
    Jirachi = Manaphy*, Phione, and Shaymin
    Deoxys = Lucario (unofficially)
    Legendary Golems = Lake guardians/Legendary Pixies
    Sinnoh extras: Heatran, Regigigas, Arceus

*I don't know exactly why Sinnoh had to have two Mew-ish legendaries - Manaphy and Shaymin (Phione is just...crap and is therefore excluded from consideration). Since Platinum's introduction of Sky Forme seemingly makes Shaymin out as the "preferred" of the two, Manaphy could have easily been saved for another Pokemon generation.
    -IMO, Regigigas enhances the Regi legends of Hoenn, though being introduced any later than Generation 4 would be strange.
    -Arceus probably wouldn't work well as a mascot, and he had to be introduced in some Generation if he was going to be included in the Pokemon mythos. That just so happened to be Generation 4, in Sinnoh.
    -Heatran, despite coming off as very Groudon-ish, manages to be unique and cool in his own right. Barring the gender thing, he probably would have worked well as a future generation mascot, though he'd likely force yet another water-themed legendary mascot to counterpart him. His insertion comes off as odd, but I'd rather that he be introduced extraneously in Generation 4 than being forced to become a mascot.

As people have mentioned, another drawback of Sinnoh is the number of Pokemon introduced that became evolutions or pre-evolutions of past-generation Pokemon. Several of these managed to look cool IMO (Rhyperior, Yanmega, Gliscor, Dusknoir, Honchkrow, Froslass), and some just seemed ugly and somewhat unnecessary (Rhyperior to an extent, Probopass, Lickilicky, Magnezone). And some of those seem unnecessary compared to Pokemon that really need evolutions (DUNSPARCE). I've grown accustomed to all of them (barring Probopass a bit), though - I wish Banette gained an evolution to counterpart Dusknoir, though. Unova rectified the problem with no cross-generational Pokemon, yet there is still outcry that certain Expies should have become cross-generational (namely, Luvdisc>Alomomola and Tauros>Bouffalant, the latter of which I now feel is unnecessary).

The drastic alteration of Generation 3 Secret Bases and the tarnishing of the Contests are the main qualms I have with DPPt as of now, and those removals have been propagated to the fifth Generation. I'm holding out hope that Gray and RS3DS fix these; otherwise, I'll have to hold out for future generations. Other than that, I really don't think Sinnoh will be that bad - I mean, the Physical/Special fix and the amazing graphics (do you see those lush back sprites compared to Generation 3?!) already seem to make it a great game in its own regard, and they seem like better logical progressions of their predecessors in comparison to the near-train wrecks of BW.

gameplayer56

Loving Latias Forever
    Years
  • D/P used 1st in my top three favorite pokemon games, until B&W. SS/HH didn't really get to me.

Anyways, I lurk around the forums, and I find that some of the reasons why they hate D/P or 4th gen, is because it lacks a good storyline, graphics are horrible (& sometime I ask myself, hows that possible), "too many legendaries", etc...

Eh, haters gonna hate..

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    Well, compared to fenyx4, i have nothing really to say... But I think the battles were too slow, the game was too kid friendly, and a lacking storyline. I think nintendo needs to realize that the fans aren't getting any younger.

gameplayer56

Loving Latias Forever
    Years
  • Well, compared to fenyx4, i have nothing really to say... But I think the battles were too slow, the game was too kid friendly, and a lacking storyline. I think nintendo needs to realize that the fans aren't getting any younger.
    Sorry I couldn't resistance myself, but you do realize that unlike Sony or Microsoft, Nintendo targets the younger group. Please correct if I'm wrong.

Years
  • I would be able to overlook most of their flaws if the Sinnoh games just weren't so obnoxiously slow. But slow is what they are, so I dislike them. For instance, what game wouldn't be ruined by battles consisting of a single OHKO taking about a minute, even with animations turned off?

Years
  • Try Platinum. The text was slow in all of the first 4 generations. It was only B/W which sped it up.

It's interesting to note that the text feels faster in the Japanese versions because there are fewer characters. Perhaps this is why they sped it up for B/W.

Back