• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why they hatin'?

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
  • Personally, i like sinnoh !!

Kind of !

The only thing i dislike about Sinnoh is Mesprit, Uxie, and Azelf, they just simply suck !!!

Snegurochka

fire walk with me.
    Years
  • I LOVE SINNOH.
    i am probably in the minority here but i love the snow! snowpoint city is so beautiful to me. winter makes me happy.
    like every gen there are some... questionable pokemon, but sinnoh has some of my favourites like glaceon, mismagius, roserade and torterra.
    last but certainly not least, sinnoh gave us the first ever female champion, which for me is a big deal. cynthia is amazing, my favourite character in the franchise. ♥

PickupTeam

Free Item Abuser
    Years
  • I just hate that they seized the opportunity to add EVEN MORE BABY POKEMON.

The ugly evolutions to nostalgic pokemon are fine...it's the baby forms that get under my skin.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I actually liked Diamond. It was quite the improvement over R/S/E.

Sinnoh rocks because it was the first region that gave us snow, even though it was read as "hail" in battles. >_> But snow... yay snow!

I don't understand the hate for this generation. I suppose it's because now the popular opinion has shifted towards the third generation being the best.

It's not that I was particularly fond of many of the Pokemon added. Many of those evolutions to first generation Pokemon just should have never happened. I was okay with Porygon Z, but the rest of them were... bad. Rhydon, Magmar, Electrabuzz you never deserved evolutions. At least not ones that were that bad. I'm not too fond of Magneton's evolution either, but it's better than the others at least.

I just remember really enjoying Diamond. I don't remember it being slow at all. Slow might actually be better because I like to take the time to run through a Pokemon game, it makes it more fun.

Geras

Roleplayer
    Years
  • There's obviously a problem when the only way people defend a gen is by pointing out flaws in others. While I never really played much of the games, I found them to be not that bad. The biggest problem I had with the games was the legendaries. While their stats are nothing special (save for Arceus), they apparently control all time and space. How am i supposed to believe a 10 year old can catch something that could tear apart the universe if it wanted to? then theres all the unnecessary legendaries they spammed in there, like the lake guardians and Heatran (which I didn't even know was a legendary until recently). Then there's Barry, who I hated moments after he was introduced, and the new evolutions/pre-evolutions. While some were nice, many were pointless. I also hated the SLOOOW pacing, and Team Galactic. The games had very many good things about them though, but this thread isn't about that.

Last edited:

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I hated the starters. It was hard to decide, seeing as they all seemed useless, probably why they're called starters... The rival was annoying with his monkey dance, and the fact that way too many people said he was impatient whenever he appeared. Team Galactic was just a joke, they used the same 3/4 Pokemon, except Cyrus of course. Cyrus was just weird in his own right. The overflow of legendaries could be acceptable, but the Lake Trio looked like Mew from the Renaissance, with their awkward faces. The games also brought a darker light, bringing Giratina and the very tedious Distortion World.

Rhyperior looked like a fat Rhydon, Electrivire looked like Dr. Octopus, and Magmortar was the same case with Rhyperior. Gliscor was actually pretty cool, making it look more like a vampire or something. Mt. Coronet was so boring to navigate, making way too many wrong turns and not being able to notice rock-climbing spots. Snowpoint city was just a trap, making random snow pits, along with hail. Not much surfing either, it seemed kinda like Kanto where you only surf to Cinnabar, like as you only surf to Canalave.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • Generation IV was a decent generation, but because I liked it doesn't mean I'm not aware of its shortcomings.

In Diamond and Pearl, I really didn't like the rival, Barry. He was so speedy, it was annoying... but they 'fixed' him a little in Platinum, where while he still couldn't stand still for a second, he was bearable; in particular he seemed like a much better character when he stated that he was the one who was planning on running into the grass and that Rowan shouldn't penalise you because of his mistakes.

The other thing that bothered me was the fact that a lot of the Pokemon from Sinnoh were evolutions of Pokemon from previous Generations, and with the lack of Pokemon of certain types (point and case, Fire-types), it kind of dulled down the experience for me, a little. While I don't mind evolutions of past Pokemon, primarily because I'm still holding out hope that they'll round off Eevee with a Normal-type and Ground-type evolution, it was the number of past Pokemon they decided to evolve that bothered me. It was almost as if they were trying to get all the evolutions that they wanted of past Pokemon so that they could be 100% original-ish with Generation V, looking back at it.

One thing that I've heard people mention before (not necessarily from here) is that there were too many Legendary Pokemon. I only tend to agree because most of the Legendary Pokemon end up being Event Only Pokemon, such as Shaymin, Darkrai and Manaphy, to name a few. I'm fine with Generation IV on that score, though; partly because it doesn't do the trick that Generation V does with one of its normal Pokemon. Could you imagine if you could only get Riolu if you had a Mew from the previous Generation in your party?

I'll have to admit, I was also more interested in the Generation III contests; Generation IV's had too much going on in them, and part way through, I kinda got fed up of them. Though I was happy that they left them all in one place, unlike in Ruby and Sapphire, though it did make it feel like an additional journey, in that respect...

But as for the rest of the game, I'm pretty happy with Generation IV. Like I said, not everything is going to be perfect and there'll always be something that someone doesn't like, but so long as you get an enjoyable experience out of it, that doesn't really matter, does it?

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • What? Sinnoh is my second favorite region (next to Hoenn). I don't know why they hatin', but I be lovin' it.

Years
  • I don't hate the region, but some of the Pokémon designs were a bit... obvious, or unimaginative. The evolutions of pre-existing Pokémon were just the same Pokémon with a few spikes added on, for the most part.

.Marion

RNG Master
    Years
  • I'm not really one of those haters but I do really think that people hates DPPt is because their legendaries receive so much hyperbole statements and is way too hyped than their favorite or classic legendaries of the older generations.

One time I looked at someone's signature (and no I can't remember who it is), and it says "Legendaries of today's generation consider themselves as idols. In my opinion, its way way better back then when legendaries are just considered freaks of nature"

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I didn't have a problem with the region of Sinnoh, but I didn't like the fact that there were too many Pre-evolutions and evolutions of previous Pokemon. I also didn't like the fact that they gave Dusclops a evolution and not Banette >:0

As for the Johto thing, I think people truly liked Johto because you can go to Kanto afterwards in the same game >.>"

:t354:TG

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Well, I sure can see why people hate Diamond and Pearl. Only Chimchar and Rapidash for Fire-types, boring spritework, and insanely slow battles. Fortunately, Platinum fixed all of this and it is even one of my favorites in the series.

Back