• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wi-Fi and router-related help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    I don't really want to screw with MAC addresses. Connectify seems like a much simpler solution.

Years
    I don't really want to screw with MAC addresses. Connectify seems like a much simpler solution.
    I'd be keen to see where this goes. I know that the DSs don't support adhoc, so I'm hoping that's not how Connectify works. Please, try and tell.

Depending on your familiarity with Routers, you could create another WEP=based network that you turn on when needed and cut out otherwise. Just login to the router via its IP and have fun. Unless of course you are still having trouble with WEP.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I'd be keen to see where this goes. I know that the DSs don't support adhoc, so I'm hoping that's not how Connectify works. Please, try and tell.

Depending on your familiarity with Routers, you could create another WEP=based network that you turn on when needed and cut out otherwise. Just login to the router via its IP and have fun. Unless of course you are still having trouble with WEP.
    Connectify has an ad-hoc option, but the default mode makes it appear as a normal access point.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    My DSi has been stolen (Straight out from under my nose no less. DANGIT BLUE) and my DS lite is sort of locked away. >>;;; But I will experiment with the program some when I get home. I won't be able to test whether it works with the DS though. =/

Oh, and once again. WEP support is broken. It will not be getting fixed.

Years
    • VA
    • Seen May 13, 2014
    Hi,

I recently got a new Router (Netgear WGR614v10) since my previous router was no longer working (Netgear WGR614 older version).

At first it seemed like an easy upgrade, as the two routers are very similar. I enabled WEP security and was able to connect my DS without any problems.

However, I quickly started having problems. Some times of the day I can connect to Wi-Fi without any problems and it works great. Other times of the day it does not work at all. I get various error codes, but the most common is Error 51301.

I have researched as many possible fixes for this error code as possible, and tried nearly all of them. What baffles me is that even though the router settings do not appear to change, I can sometimes connect perfectly, and other times cannot.

Are there any settings/outside influences/etc that may change from time to time and not allow my DS to always connect? I am curious if what else is connected to the router may make a difference, but so far my DS has worked and not worked with all combinations of other computers connected.

Any suggestions besides 'check the nintendo help page' would be great.

Thanks!

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    Nintendo WFC and New Router

Router: Belkin N10
    DS Used: DSi XL, DS Phat

I've tried looking all over Google for this, and the suggestions I've followed so far are to disable my router's inner-firewall and change the Channel to 1. Neither of these appear to have worked.

I'm trying to do a Wi-Fi trade using WFC. So far, two trades have been allowed, and two trades blocked. It gets as far as "Trader wants to play with you!", then either boots me or the other off with a 86420 error. This is weird, because it's also allowed two trades through, and I've not done anything different :/ Can anyone tell me what's going on?

I could try setting up a static IP, which is the third suggestion, but I have absolutely no idea how. Any suggestions on that front would be welcome as well. :U

Years
    Wep

Hello. I recently change my wpa to wep. Because my Nintendo ds lite needs wep to get on the internet. I was wondering does anyone know how to secure the internet on wep. If so can you tell me step by step. Thanks I wanted it to know. Because everytime I played counterstrike it kicks me out. That say your internet isn't secured and crap like that. I have Dlink Dir- 615. Thanks.

Years
    • VA
    • Seen May 13, 2014
    From what I've heard, WEP is not very secure in general. It's possible that your other games require better security. You can make sure you are using the better form of WEP (128) by checking your router settings, but you can't make WEP any more secure than that.

Years
    IF you're willing to try it, see if MAC Address Filtering works You'd need to find the physical/MAC address of each device, though, before turning it on. It shouldn't be kicking you off just because you're using WEP and not WPA, however.

Years
    Hello. I just called my router company. I have an D Link router. One of the tech support says that WEP is not compatible with window 7. Is this true. Also if I use WEP on my laptop I cannot use it for the nintendo ds lite. So my ideas was to get an Ethernet cord for my ds lite. Is there away I can get one. Please help. I really want to play online. So I would have to use wpa personal

Years
    Hello. I just called my router company. I have an D Link router. One of the tech support says that WEP is not compatible with window 7. Is this true. Also if I use WEP on my laptop I cannot use it for the nintendo ds lite. So my ideas was to get an Ethernet cord for my ds lite. Is there away I can get one. Please help. I really want to play online. So I would have to use wpa personal

WEP is wholly compatible with Windows 7. That's what I use at home. And the DS Lite cannot communicate with the internet with anything other than wireless. You're better off using the Ethernet cable for your laptop, if you do get one.

Also, try disconnecting and then reconnecting your laptop to your wireless network. That should fix any connectivity issues for the laptop, unless you've got a faulty wireless card in the laptop.

Years
    switch

Hello. I just contact D link yesterday. They said that the router that I have does not support Nintendo ds lite. My security is wpa personal. This is what I have to be on. I can not change it to WEP. I want to know what should I do. Should I trade in my Nintendo ds lite and buy a Nintendo dsi that support wpa personal. Let me know the answer. Thanks

Oh by the way I had my ds lite for quite a while. I had it when it first came out. Two of my laptop has window 7 and wep does not support window 7. Oh damn.

Years
    I have a D LInk Dir 615. And the customer service people says window 7 doesn't support WEP. What wireless you have? How do I find what wireless I have? Is it G or N. I heard it got certain letters.

Years
    The lettering only marks a speed and range difference. Not a protocol difference.

Hello. I just contact D link yesterday. They said that the router that I have does not support Nintendo ds lite. My security is wpa personal. This is what I have to be on. I can not change it to WEP. I want to know what should I do. Should I trade in my Nintendo ds lite and buy a Nintendo dsi that support wpa personal. Let me know the answer. Thanks

Oh by the way I had my ds lite for quite a while. I had it when it first came out. Two of my laptop has window 7 and wep does not support window 7. Oh damn.

Well, firstly, it's because the router itself doesn't support WEP, it sounds like. And pretty much every DS game cannot support WPA, no matter the system hardware, so the only thing getting a DSi would do you is allow you to browse the internet from it. You still wouldn't be able to play your games online.

And Windows 7 does support WEP. That's what I'm using right now. The issue lies in your router not supporting it.

I suggest getting a WEP-capable router instead, and reading up on how to set MAC Address Filtering.

Here are some WEP-capable routers of off Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...rder=BESTMATCH&Description=wep+router&x=0&y=0

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2010
    Hi
    I have the following problem:
    At last, I have (after several hours) installed my wi-fi usb connector.
    The small wi-fi symbol is blue too. I go to my ds menu around to connect, but after minutes of connecting nothing still does itself ... what does this lie with? I also have no electronic distractions etc in the way.What can I do?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back