• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey... DOCTOR WHO Fan Club

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    The one with the master was The End Of Time, I believe. With Wilf, Donna's grandpa :3 And yeah, the one with Mickey and Rose and the hand was Christmas Invasion, my fav.

@MusikMaestro, but consider that Ten was only in that form for a few years or so, while Nine and Eleven and probably Eight too got centuries (?). At least Eleven. In Time of the Doctor, he could really feel like he had done good in his run, while Ten was still very young in that body and didn't want to go because he hadn't had that long at all. At first I thought he was a bit too angsty as well, but it makes sense when you think about it this way.

Years
  • I suppose. I've never thought about it like that.

However, even if it holds up from an in-universe perspective, it was still a bad idea in real life. Davies should have already known Matt would get a lot of stick for not being Tenant, and a lot of what was said in the episode made it seem even worse.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Hi guys. :D

I agree that the whining was a bit much tbh. Like, the Doctor never before cared about what he looked like or that he tended to swap quirks upon regeneration. It's just really weird to me that both Ten and Eleven were like, "I'm ME right now but I won't be later!" when the Doctor's always the Doctor. He himself has always thought like that. He knows he changes, but so does everyone with time. He just does it more abruptly sometimes. I honestly feel like Ten and Eleven's sendoffs were more their respective writers saying "This is the end of MY time and MY Doctor and the next one won't be the same at all!!!" which is weird as heck and makes the distinction between Doctors even clearer. It makes it feel like something actually is ending when in reality it's continuing on and I don't think that should be the case.

Years
  • I don't really think Eleven is like that. He's just saying that change is important, and needs to be embraced, but even still, its important to remember who you were.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Well, yeah he says that. But look how it's conveyed! Eleven's speech:
    D: "It all just disappears,doesn't it, everything you are- gone in a moment, like breath on a mirror. Any moment now, he's coming."
    C: "Who's coming?"
    D: "The Doctor."
    C: "You- you are the Doctor."
    D: "And I always will be. But times change, and so must I."
    Why set apart the regenerations by saying "he"? Why say that "he's coming"; he's the Doctor. Who is already there. Who is speaking. Beyond that, it's the sort of cryptic weirdness so trademark of Moffat. Why not go with "I'm going to regenerate, and I'm going to be different. You know that, Clara, you've seen into my timeline." (unless she hasn't and that's all bullschwa too).
    D: "We all change, when you think about it. We're all different people, all through our lives. And that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving. So long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this. Not one day, I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me."
    That's a wonderful message and a wonderful way to think about life, but then it's followed up by something that sounds like "I really favour this regeneration so I'm going to remember it always." and/or "I'm not going to be myself after this; I'm so very different from all my other selves; each one is his own person rather than being one whole being." It's just weird.

We're more prone to referring to the Doctor as separate people out-of-universe, but everyone still knows he's the same person. In-universe, it's just baffling to think that the Doctor would mentally categorize himself as different people depending on the body he inhabited. The way Ten and Eleven's endings were written just make it seem like he's not one whole person. Ten's famous "I don't want to go" spiel is all about him not being ready to let go of one body. I could see him being concerned about having to regenerate too soon and "waste" one, but to be so messed up about changing appearance? He's still him. Eleven's "I'll always remember when the Doctor was me" strikes the same chord with me. It's all about presenting these Doctors as so special compared to the other regenerations imo. That's also part of what makes War weird- all of that "I wasn't the Doctor", "I don't like to think of him as me"; it's setting the Doctor apart from his own self. It's just. So. Weird.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I watched a bit of the 5th Doctors episodes recently :3 not that different after all, aside from them being four people traveling the Tardis and none flirting with the Doctor, haha. Which is a bit odd, he's so cute.

And actually, I think complaining about DW havingchanged and being different these days, in terms of relationships, regenerations, adventures and all, it's a bit like saying that the first 151 pokemon were the best and only true ones :s I mean, obviously the show had to change to fit our modern views and expectations. I wouldn't have liked it if DW these days was too similar to the 5th Doctor's run (though I definitely see a bit of Ten and Nine in him, or the other way around of course).

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • I watched a bit of the 5th Doctors episodes recently :3 not that different after all, aside from them being four people traveling the Tardis and none flirting with the Doctor, haha. Which is a bit odd, he's so cute.

And actually, I think complaining about DW havingchanged and being different these days, in terms of relationships, regenerations, adventures and all, it's a bit like saying that the first 151 pokemon were the best and only true ones :s I mean, obviously the show had to change to fit our modern views and expectations. I wouldn't have liked it if DW these days was too similar to the 5th Doctor's run (though I definitely see a bit of Ten and Nine in him, or the other way around of course).

The Fourth was awesome though -- you should watch his run some time.

But of course there will always be people who hate change. When Tennant first showed, most people were like, "too Scottish" and now he's probably the most liked Doctor in the internetz.

So yes, very much like genwunners. In fact we should Whovianize that. Regenwunners. How does that sound?

Years
  • I like regenwunners.

I think, Aquacorde, it's important to remember that Doctor Who is a much bigger thing now. It gets a bigger audience, so a lot of people will be affected by the Doctors regeneration, which is why I think the Doctor needs a good send off. I agree that Ten went far too overboard, but I think Eleven handled it nicely, not only saying its important to change, but also paying homage to himself.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • I do find how the contrast between Doctors is different a bit weird, how they refer as seperate people, I kinda like it, kinda dont.

I find that my mind must be backwords, most people loved ten & rose, I couldnt stand it (Not because of relationship, martha ,amy, river , and clara were all fine to me). Season 2 was great, too me it was pretty much the worst, imo. Season 7 was "meh", I really liked S7, it seemed weird, and kinda over the place, and poor endings most of the time. But besides that I really liked the feel of it, same with S6 which also gets some hate. Nightmare in Silver and Journey I also liked. Gahh.

Years
  • I kind of agree with you. I don't really like Rose, as I think she was a rotten really inconsistently. Sometimes she was kind, and nice, and others, like in Tooth and Claw, she seemed more interested in messing around (trying to get the Queen to say "We are not amused") than helping people.

I also agree with you about Series 2. I'd say its definitely the weakest series of NewWho.

I kind of agree with you. I don't really like Rose, as I think she was a rotten really inconsistently. Sometimes she was kind, and nice, and others, like in Tooth and Claw, she seemed more interested in messing around (trying to get the Queen to say "We are not amused") than helping people.

I also agree with you about Series 2. I'd say its definitely the weakest series of NewWho.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I do find how the contrast between Doctors is different a bit weird, how they refer as seperate people, I kinda like it, kinda dont.
    I prefer to think of them as the same person, just with a bit of different quirks and preferences. I don't really like when they refer to each other as different people, like Ten talks about "I'll be dead and some other man goes swanning off" because hello? He was clearly the same Doctor when he changed from Nine to Ten. And how Eleven says "I'll always remember when the Doctor was me" because hello? He's still him. He just looks and maybe acts a little differently.

Speaking of regeneration and different Doctors; I've watched how Four regenerated from Three and how Five regenerated from Four. Four was really odd and energetic and initially didn't even remember his assistants, Five was very confused and mixed up his different lives (or so it seemed, I've only guessed from the way he rambled names and such). Compared to that, Nine->Ten was awfully smooth since he stayed pretty much the same if you think about it. Ten->Eleven wasn't perhaps "smooth" physically (poor TARDIS getting roasted) but I still think he's pretty much himself only sort of burying all the grief and regret from his adventures as Ten.

From what I've said in my first paragraph here, I should prefer this New Who style rather than how some earlier regenerations did it. But I kind of hope that Twelve will be a bit more like Four initially! I mean, in how he acts after regeneration. Odd and half-remembering Clara etc. Only because fun :3

Also, I've watched all of New Who rather quickly with no pauses between seasons. Thus, I was still missing Nine while watching S2, and I was missing Ten awfully while watching S5. I think it'll be easier to not miss Eleven awfully much when I start watching S8 because it's been a while since S7 ended :]

I find that my mind must be backwords, most people loved ten & rose, I couldnt stand it (Not because of relationship, martha ,amy, river , and clara were all fine to me). Season 2 was great, too me it was pretty much the worst, imo. Season 7 was "meh", I really liked S7, it seemed weird, and kinda over the place, and poor endings most of the time. But besides that I really liked the feel of it, same with S6 which also gets some hate. Nightmare in Silver and Journey I also liked. Gahh.
    I agree on S2 and S7 being the weakest parts of New Who :x As much as I like TenxRose, and as memorable as their adventures were in S2 (New Earth, Werewolves, The Wire, Satan's Pit, Cybermen etc) I just didn't find the season as a whole to be as good as some others. I like when there's at least some kind of continuous plot. S1 had the Bad Wolf thing in the background, and they kept revisiting Platform One/The Game Station/The News Station (okay I might remember wrong, maybe Platform One from episode 2 wasn't the same thing) and they picked up random other travelers here and there (Adam, Jack) which made the adventures fit together somehow.

S5 did a good job with that, S6 even better. S3 was... Well I'm not a Martha fan so sue me xD Well, the adventures were pretty alright in S3 anyways. I need to rewatch the whole thing, haha.

S4 might be another weak point imo. Even though Silence In the Library/Forest of the Dead is one of my favorite parts of Who ever despite River Song, sue me again! and despite Donna being awesome, I didn't enjoy S4 as much as I would have wanted to. Can someone convince me it was better? xD Maybe I'll change my opinion upon rewatching, yeah.

I guess we shouldn't wage companion wars here. I loved Rose and others didn't and that's how it is :]

Years
  • I can't really convince you about Season 4, because of the mess that is the way Donna is handled in Journeys End.

I'd probably rate the Seasons thusly:

5, 7, 1, 4, 6, 3, 2.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    S5 and S1 are definitely up there, but I personally enjoyed S6 more than S7. I just think Amy and Rory really should have been left alone to live their proper, modern day life and the Doctor just came back to see them one last time in the Widow, the Doctor and the Wardrobe (or whatever that special was called). Their episodes in S7 were just... Not up to par. Clara's part of S7 was more enjoyable though :3 Because I had avoided spoilers and didn't know the "mystery" before I watched Name of the Doctor.

countryemo

Years
  • S5 and S1 are definitely up there, but I personally enjoyed S6 more than S7. I just think Amy and Rory really should have been left alone to live their proper, modern day life and the Doctor just came back to see them one last time in the Widow, the Doctor and the Wardrobe (or whatever that special was called). Their episodes in S7 were just... Not up to par. Clara's part of S7 was more enjoyable though :3 Because I had avoided spoilers and didn't know the "mystery" before I watched Name of the Doctor.
    Well technically it was the Daleks who brought them. But yeah, I'm a little mad that Moffat couldn't let them have a happy ending, it was nice though seeing how amy handled melodies birth and demons run as we didn't get to see how she handled that living back in a household life (married, kids). And we got to meet Rory's dad, and Amy's life as a model.

Though S7 was pretty nice tied together, there was hints of the Angels through out the first half, the impossible girl part was way to strongly forced, but I enjoyed the more slight refrences like in Hide like when the psychic said she was normal, hated it when Eleven kept babbling in the TARDIS about it. The GI got a cool little arc too, wasen't the best handled, but it was interesting.

Years
  • I think the Angel foreshadowing was really bad. The only thing that I would call "foreshadowing" for it was the flickering lights that were in Asylum and Power of Three, and it didn't really make sense that the lights would be flickering in those occasions.

Years
  • Username: Erik Destler
    Favorite Doctor: Eleven.
    Reason being, I enjoy his whimsical, if not flippant behavior. His mantras - never knowingly be serious, the doctor always lies, et cetera - are endearing to me. Plus, I think I can relate the most with him on a personality level.

Favorite Companion: By far, it's Donna. She had some of the best moments and lines in Series 4, and Tate and Tennant's dynamic was brilliant. She's also in my favorite episodes, and her departure from the show haunts me to this day. ):

That being said, my favorite seasons are probably:

4 > 6 > 5 > 1 > 3 > 7b > 2 > 7a.
    The fourth is probably my favorite because it reintroduces us to my favorite companion, Donna, and also one of my favorite characters - River Song. I really enjoy most of the episodes, despite the way it ended. :( The Unicorn and the Wasp is probably one of my favorite episodes! And the Pompeii episode - tears every time! ;-;

Series six is probably my second mainly because of the latter half of the series where we get the origin on River Song. Oh, gosh, did I love that twist. I wouldn't have seen it coming, had I not been spoiled by the guy I was talking to :C

Series five is great to me because it's introducing us to Eleven, the Ponds, and yeah. It just has a lot of great moments, one of my favorites being Vincent and the Doctor. (I also liked meeting Churchill :<)

Aaaaaand, series one is great to me because I love Nine. He's such a great Doctor. We meet good ol' Rose, and we have a lot of great moments from meeting Dickens, the end of the world, to Jack Harkness (n_n)

Series three is great to me, too. The only thing I'd change is Martha having feelings for the Doctor - I feel like this is why people don't like her as much, because she's someone else who likes the Doctor right after Rose, who we were just parted from so abruptly. :< But, honestly, I think Martha's really underrated. I think she's a badass, and I appreciate that she walked away. Also, she's the only companion who's got the Doctor's cell phone number :P (Other than the Brigadier, I guess). I actually got into Doctor Who from The Family Blood/Human Nature two parter, and it's probably one of my favorite two-part episodes!

I feel the need to distinguish 7a and 7b, mainly because I didn't like the first few episodes.
    It just felt blah to me. However, 7b is up here only because of Clara. The Impossible Girl, while growing old on me quickly, was an interesting mystery, and I really like Clara as a companion. She's probably my second favorite, actually. She's just cheeky and I love it n_n;

..Season two..season two. I should have it higher, because I like Tennant and Piper's chemistry, but I also grew tired of the love story between her and the Doctor. ): I think I might've liked season two more if it was still Nine, tbh. The only episodes that stand out to me are Tooth and Claw, School Reunion (yaas Old Who), and The Girl in the Fireplace.
    It also features my least favorite episode, Love and Monsters. *shudders*

Season 7a was incredibly lackluster to me, and I was pretty well disappointed with it. The Ponds should've left in Series 6. The only good thing about it was River in the last episode, but even so, that episode was just a mess. ~_~

Also, I'm super excited for Capaldi. :3;;

/longpost

countryemo

Years
  • I didn't notice any foreshadowing at all O.o
    Asylum: During the last scene in the make up room, the light flickers or goes out.
    Dinosuars: Rorys dad was introduced as he was doing what? Fixing a light blub that was flickering.
    Mercy: When walking down the street the street lamp blew out.
    Cubes: Flickering christmas lights.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    ... And flickering means that Angels are coming to get them? Okay, that was too vague for me to pick up on at the time ^^

countryemo

Years
  • ... And flickering means that Angels are coming to get them? Okay, that was too vague for me to pick up on at the time ^^
    "They could also feed on other types of energy, such as radiation given off by a Galaxy class Star Liner or the electrical energy in electronics. This would cause lights to flicker, making it easier for them to get around their quantum-locking." - TARDIS Wiki

I guess that means they were following Rory/Amy? Thats a freaky thought.. I didn't pick it up either at first.

Back