• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • Why would you want to get either of them separately when you can have both? o.o Then again, I have all 3 XD Just grabbed my Limited Edition one today and I'm just sitting here listening to the beautiful title screen music. Having so many feels right now from 10 years ago, it's not even funny.
    I should clarify: I was planning on getting it when I knew the price of both would be forty because the price of one would be $20, and since I only want X-2, it would have worked out. But since it's not working out that way, I'll just wait for a price drop or a sale.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Anyone getting FFXHD?
    My friend is (hopefully) so I might get a chance to play it if he lends it to me =D

SimCity's finally in offline mode.
    Since you mention it... I would like to start a new topic.
    What is your stance to fully multiplayer games without any single player part? (since Titanfall was just released, it's pretty hot topic imo)
    Or games that require internet connection for the whole time?

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Ill probably be getting FFXHD since i never completed it on my PS2 back in the day.

What is your stance to fully multiplayer games without any single player part? (since Titanfall was just released, it's pretty hot topic imo)
    Or games that require internet connection for the whole time?

Im not the biggest fan of only mulitplayer games, since im not really competitive. Usually the stoyline is what interests me most in a game.
    As for an always required internet connection, i really hate that. I think its unfair to limit any potential customer by requiring him to always be online. Even if you have an internet connection, why should you always be forced to have it activated?? And whats worse, the servers arent even ready at launch date, which makes for some ridicolous waiting time and frequent crashes. I got Diablo III with some friends at a midnight release, and playing the game was a mix between pain and pleasure

TY

They don't appeal so much to me. I love a single player part cause then you don't have to rely on your internet capabilities to play the game and enjoy it. I think this was not a smart move to make it multiplayer only unless there is some form of offline play avalible.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I don't generally play multiplayer only games, especially if they don't offer any type of single player or story mode. The last time I went out of my way to play a multiplayer game was when my bro got Titanfall recently, a game that I really enjoy. But the thing about multiplayer games is that they have to depend 100% on gameplay to keep a player interested. This is the reason I can't get into standard FPS like TF2 or Call of Duty. The gameplay isn't really dynamic enough for me to stay interested, but, conversely, that's the reason I can play unique titles like Chroma (A Rhythm Shooter) and Titanfall, because they're dynamic enough to warrant such play.

But really, multiplayer isn't really a draw for me, anyway. If games like Osu! and Persona 4 Arena and Smash Bros. would be just as appealing to me offline as they would online. There are many times when I like playing with computers and don't really feel like dealing with other people's crap, or when I just feel like playing offline, and this is much of the time. At the same time, I don't like multiplayer-centric games to have story modes- that is, unless the story is online. Generally stories in those type of games are half-arsed, but when put in the setting that the game is geared towards, a good story can be crafted as that is the area in which the game excels. Though there are cases where games have both developed stories and remain multiplayer centric, and that's fine, too.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I'm not a fan of multiplayer only or even multiplayer focused games. Hell, I don't even like MMOs or MOBAs actually. The only multiplayer focused game I actually have is Black Ops on my PS3, and what's funny is that I've actually sunk in more hours into Combat Training than I have into its multiplayer. All the games I own have a strong singleplayer campaign, and only an optional multiplayer aspect.

I still can't get over the fact that EA screwed the entire Mass Effect series by making multiplayer mandatory to get the best ending in the story. Thankfully Bioware fixed that with their Directors Cut patch but still I don't like this stance that the publishers have nowadays, that they have to shoehorn in multiplayer in each game, whether it needs it or not.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Just curious, what do people think of this?

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/sony-unveils-project-morpheus-a-virtual-reality-80036070258.html

Sony's apparently getting into the virtual reality business now. Thoughts?

Sounds like a very interesting project. Ive seen what the Oculus Rift can do and it would be interesting to see if Sony can match or even surpass what the Oculus has already accomplished! And im curious to see if that kind of technology will make a name for itself in the next years, maybe even becoming the standard for gaming?

Platina Berlitz

Pure bliss
    Years
  • The promise of Virtual Reality is exciting. Hopefully the exclusive games that focus on that will be better than the PS Eye/Move and Knect games that have been out.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Virtual Reality sounds really unappealing to me.
    Oh? Why's that? I honestly can't see a downside. New avenues of gaming and...well, really, it opens new avenues for pretty much everything. Might be a bit dangerous, but the idea of being able to put yourself into a Fictional world, be it for fun, shopping, or business, just seems fantastic to me.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I'm not referring to Sony's venture specifically, just the idea of VR in particular. It would allow developers to free their minds even more and delve into new storytelling, gameplay, and even graphical techniques that wouldn't work otherwise. I don't even know if I'd call SonyVR/Oculus Rift "Virtual Reality"...but I get it. The idea behind them is that your senses are surrounded by the game, and thus you are in the game, but I don't know if I'd say it's the same thing.

The idea of it excited me, especially for the ARPG genre :q, but in general I think it's just a very unbounded and ambitious idea that could turn into something revolutionary if it were to come to fruition.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • I would personally love to have something like this. Exchange the Wii Remote with this and I'm sold.

Though I admit I would rather play most of the games, I would love to be in some.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I always find it interesting that people pick Skyrim- and Skyrim specifically, not any of the other Elder Scrolls games- for VR. As an Action RPG, Skyrim is REALLY simple and needs mods to make it something that would be able to go toe-to-toe with other ARPGs combat-wise, and that's the problem. Elder Scrolls, as much as I like it, isn't that complex of an ARPG. Compared to games like Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls, or, heck, even Rune Factory, it's incredibly simple. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the Sword game from Wii Sports Resort was more complex. And I'm not bashing it, I'm a big fan of most of the ES universe, but it's not the best choice for VR.

I'd probably go for something like one of the aforementioned games, just in First Person (First Person Monster Hunter sounds amazing...and terrifying) because they have more mechanics geared towards being an ARPG, ones that would allow one directly controlling the model's actions to have more freedom with.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I actually agree with Machomuu. Skyrim depended entirely on its world and atmosphere and the combat system was really bland without mods. It would actually be boring to play Skyrim through VR, because it's just hack and slash and throw in a spell in between. Dark Souls would be absolutely amazing in VR. The grueling difficulty and tense atmosphere would be really cool and keep you on your toes throughout the game.

I have no problems with VR. I hope it works, and doesn't end up as a bust like Kinect. I do believe that Oculus Rift and other such VR headsets will probably be filled with survival horror games or FPS. A game like Mirror's Edge or Assassin's Creed, or any game with parkour for that matter, would be a blast to play through VR if its executed well enough.

Kinect and PS Move were both examples of that and they were both basically flops.

I think that's partly because devs failed to properly utilize motion controls. And also that the possibilities that motion gaming presented were very limited in the first place. I think any new technology to interact with games at least deserves a chance.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • Well, I don't think being simpler makes it any less enjoyable. I like both Dark Souls and the Elder Scrolls, but I find the ES universe a lot more enjoyable. And maybe being simpler is the reason it is used so much for VR. Simulating the more complex combat systems of games like Dark Souls might be difficult for controllers like the Hydra Razer, Wii Remotes and such. The STEMS could possibly change that, but for demonstration purposes I can isee why Skyrim must be a very popular choice. It is a recent, popular game with great graphics and a simple combat system.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Well, I don't think being simpler makes it any less enjoyable. I like both Dark Souls and the Elder Scrolls, but I find the ES universe a lot more enjoyable. And maybe being simpler is the reason it is used so much for VR. Simulating the more complex combat systems of games like Dark Souls might be difficult for controllers like the Hydra Razer, Wii Remotes and such. The STEMS could possibly change that, but for demonstration purposes I can isee why Skyrim must be a very popular choice. It is a recent, popular game with great graphics and a simple combat system.
    I'm not referring to things that use peripherals. I'm talking about the standard idea of VR, but even with that, Skyrim is still incredibly simple. It's not a matter of it being better or worse because of its simplicity (nor do I think that's the case) but rather whether it's worth bringing to the virtual reality realm. In the case of peripheral use, it's very "press this button to attack", and that's about it, and because the direction in which you attack isn't a matter of importance, it would pretty much employ the waggle, in that the player's input can be done anyway and have the same effect, and upon realizing this, the player would find about as much enjoyment in it as pressing a button with a slight change of pace. It'd be the same for body motion as well. Dark Souls really isn't that complex, ES is just one of the much less involved ARPGs you can find.

Plus, when talking about Elder Scrolls in general, you have to consider that what people have fun with is the exploration with the thrill of survival (which is largely what makes mods so popular). People like to fight, but it's not the fighting system that people like about Elder Scrolls, it's the system and the world built around it. Seeing Cyrodiil, which is personally my favorite region for a number of reasons, in first person would indeed be breathtaking, but that's when you really create a division. People like Dark Souls because of its difficulty, and that largely hinges on its gameplay. It's an intuitive system that requires more player input than something like Elder Scrolls, and because of that, it's the more attractive game for someone who wants to have fun with the concept of immersing themselves into a dark and almost terrifying world where they need to harness the game to survive. The difference is, Elder Scrolls is popular because of concept execution, and being able to immerse oneself in the often times beautiful worlds that they craft is enticing. Dark Souls is popular because of concept execution as well, but where ES places its emphasis on the world, Dark Souls practically hangs onto its gameplay and difficulty, and thus which one seems more attractive really depends on what the player wants out of the VR experience or, in general, what they want out of the game.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back