• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will Ash win the Kalos League?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keromatsu

Froakie is Awesome!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    Speculation: Move this if this has already done! Okay? lol
    Yes I think he will win..
    In the Last episode of the whole BW Series "The Dream Continues!" Ash promises, his Mom that, he'll
    win the next League for sure!
    and in XY028, Ash says to Diantha that, he'll make sure to win the thing and battle her!

Years
    He will most likely lose, following the usual trend. Unless the company has noticed how older Pokefans are getting bored of his relentless loses, he might win. If he does win, we have to accept three things for the next season of Pokemon:
    1) We might get a new main character, like they did with the YUGIOH series
    2) He will return to older regions to defeat the league
    3) Main character is Ash's son, follows Ash's footsteps

We just have to wait. He might stay 10 forever. :)

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I wouldn't read into either of those, since Satoshi makes that exact same promise every series and it never stops him from coming up short. I see nothing in XY that indicates it won't end the same way as Best Wishes (or Diamond & Pearl, Advanced Generation, and OS before it) did. I just hope the execution of his loss is more like DP, or even Jouto, and less like BW. It'd be nice to see him get to the Finals this time around, if nothing else.

In fact, the sheer unlikelihood of Satoshi winning coupled with the absence of a good, long-term rival for him in XY makes me wonder about how this series can possibly make the Kalos League interesting. DP makes up for Satoshi losing somewhat by giving him a moment of personal triumph when he finally defeats Shinji, moves past his previous Top 8 record, and managing to make him look strong in his subsequent loss to Takuto. Even if Satoshi doesn't win, his Sinnoh story arc comes to a satisfactory close.

XY reminds me a lot of AG in that Satoshi's story arc is made up of the barest minimum: collect eight Gym Badges and get into the League - and we've already seen him do this seven times. He has no antagonists like Shinji, or even Shigeru, to overcome. He doesn't have a Pokemon like Goukazaru that has a personal arc of its own that can come to a climax there. And unfortunately, it reminds me a lot of AG in that way, and much like the Houen League I fear it's going to make the Kalos League very boring.

In any case, as long as Satoshi and Pikachu are the heart of the main anime franchise, they're probably not going to win. The best thing XY can do is just make it feel worthwhile regardless.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I wouldn't read into either of those, since Satoshi makes that exact same promise every series and it never stops him from coming up short. I see nothing in XY that indicates it won't end the same way as Best Wishes (or Diamond & Pearl, Advanced Generation, and OS before it) did. I just hope the execution of his loss is more like DP, or even Jouto, and less like BW. It'd be nice to see him get to the Finals this time around, if nothing else.

In fact, the sheer unlikelihood of Satoshi winning coupled with the absence of a good, long-term rival for him in XY makes me wonder about how this series can possibly make the Kalos League interesting. DP makes up for Satoshi losing somewhat by giving him a moment of personal triumph when he finally defeats Shinji, moves past his previous Top 8 record, and managing to make him look strong in his subsequent loss to Takuto. Even if Satoshi doesn't win, his Sinnoh story arc comes to a satisfactory close.

XY reminds me a lot of AG in that Satoshi's story arc is made up of the barest minimum: collect eight Gym Badges and get into the League - and we've already seen him do this seven times. He has no antagonists like Shinji, or even Shigeru, to overcome. He doesn't have a Pokemon like Goukazaru that has a personal arc of its own that can come to a climax there. And unfortunately, it reminds me a lot of AG in that way, and much like the Houen League I fear it's going to make the Kalos League very boring.

In any case, as long as Satoshi and Pikachu are the heart of the main anime franchise, they're probably not going to win. The best thing XY can do is just make it feel worthwhile regardless.

I hated the outcome of Best Wishes because not only did he not win, he actually did worse than in Sinnoh, heck, all regions barring Kanto thus far (and at least with Kanto, he had the excuse of being a rookie trainer at the time). Reboot or not, at least actually have him either stay at 4 or otherwise increase a rank.

And I'm doubtful it would mean anything if he wins the Kalos League anyways. Don't forget, he won the Orange Islands League as well as the Battle Frontier, the latter of which is technically even better than winning a league because the guys he beat are apparently better than the Elite 4, yet he still did his journey. And besides, he'd still need to face the Elite 4 anyhow. If winning a league truly meant he achieved the rank of Pokémon Master, the show would have ended a long time ago.

Keromatsu

Froakie is Awesome!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    I hated the outcome of Best Wishes because not only did he not win, he actually did worse than in Sinnoh, heck, all regions barring Kanto thus far (and at least with Kanto, he had the excuse of being a rookie trainer at the time). Reboot or not, at least actually have him either stay at 4 or otherwise increase a rank.

And I'm doubtful it would mean anything if he wins the Kalos League anyways. Don't forget, he won the Orange Islands League as well as the Battle Frontier, the latter of which is technically even better than winning a league because the guys he beat are apparently better than the Elite 4, yet he still did his journey. And besides, he'd still need to face the Elite 4 anyhow. If winning a league truly meant he achieved the rank of Pokémon Master, the show would have ended a long time ago.

I saw someone saying that on a forum, they don't count as leagues..

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    There's a pretty clear difference between the Pokemon Leagues like Kalos and the Orange League and the Battle Frontier (and was that line about Frontier Brains being as good as the Elite 4 actually in the original Japanese version, or was it just something the dub made up?), and it's only by winning the former that Satoshi would be granted entrance to the next stage of his journey: the Champion's League. I'd sooner call the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier meaningless, since Satoshi and Pikachu never really advanced in any significant way after winning either. Both victories were followed up by a loss to Shigeru and a realization that he needed to continue on by attempting to win the next Pokemon League, after all.

And while winning the Kalos League obviously wouldn't make Satoshi a Pokemon Master, and I really doubt we'll ever see him become one, the series has been putting that moment off for so long that it's really hard not to see it as a significant moment regardless, significant enough that he hopefully wouldn't be going back to the usual Gym Leaders afterwards. If nothing else, winning a League would make for a natural way to end Satoshi and Pikachu's story in the anime.

Satoshi Ookami said:
    He will lose, just like in past and just like in future.
    Heck, with the team he has now, it would be a joke if he actually won...
    The team he has now is incomplete and still in development. But yes, I agree that Satoshi will lose in Kalos. And he'll most likely lose in the next region, too.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    I doubt that he will win the league, but even if that doesn't means he will become a Pokémon Master. He needs to beat the Elite Four after, to archieve that accomplishment.

The only reason I like Pokémon Leagues is for Ash using his old Pokémon. That's why I found Hoenn and Unova Pokémon League boring and hope he uses them in this league expecting that he get's only six pokémon in this league plus evolutions and Mega Evolutions of Charizard and Heracross (don't believe he get's a Garchomp).

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I doubt that he will win the league, but even if that doesn't means he will become a Pokémon Master. He needs to beat the Elite Four after, to archieve that accomplishment.

The only reason I like Pokémon Leagues is for Ash using his old Pokémon. That's why I found Hoenn and Unova Pokémon League boring and hope he uses them in this league expecting that he get's only six pokémon in this league plus evolutions and Mega Evolutions of Charizard and Heracross (don't believe he get's a Garchomp).

I disliked the Hoenn and Unova leagues myself, not because he avoided using his old Pokémon (though that admittedly is a part of it), but because he didn't increase in rank. I can forgive him not winning a league, heck, even avoiding his old Pokémon so long as he actually increases in rank in that league to signify that he got better. Instead, in Hoenn, he retained his rank, and not only that, but in Unova, he did terribly in that league, not only not increasing in rank, he actually sunk to his rank in Kanto. I know Unova may have been a reboot, but did they really need to sink him down to Kanto's rank, literally? At least Kanto was his first region, so it would be expected of him to make top 16 at best instead of winning his first league.

Honestly, he should make at least Top 4 in Kalos, if not Top 2 or even win that league. That way, the disaster that was the Unova league can be redeemed. Honestly, I don't want a repeat of what happened in Unova.

Last edited:

Guest123_x1

Assuming precedent as with previous game-featured leagues continues, I don't think Ash is going to win the Kalos League championship. Besides, if he did win a major league championship (outside of Orange Islands, but that was really more of a side quest), then it'd probably be a sign that the final Generation of games is upon us. As long as new generations of games are unveiled, the writers will make sure Ash never wins a championship.
    (Then again, it's just like how Dale Earnhardt, Jr. can't seem to win any races (I'm surprised he won this year's Daytona 500), let alone the Sprint Cup Series championship-one would expect a better record of him considering that not only has he been named NASCAR's Most Popular Driver for 11 years in a row, his father won seven Cup championship titles throughout his career/life.)

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    I disliked the Hoenn and Unova leagues myself, not because he avoided using his old Pokémon (though that admittedly is a part of it), but because he didn't increase in rank. I can forgive him not winning a league, heck, even avoiding his old Pokémon so long as he actually increases in rank in that league to signify that he got better. Instead, in Hoenn, he retained his rank, and not only that, but in Unova, he did terribly in that league, not only not increasing in rank, he actually sunk to his rank in Kanto. I know Unova may have been a reboot, but did they really need to sink him down to Kanto's rank, literally? At least Kanto was his first region, so it would be expected of him to make top 16 at best instead of winning his first league.

Honestly, he should make at least Top 4 in Kalos, if not Top 2 or even win that league. That way, the disaster that was the Unova league can be redeemed. Honestly, I don't want a repeat of what happened in Unova.

Hoenn was terrible, but atleats we got the Battle Frontier. In Unova I didn't found the Team Plasma arc anything special, and the Decolore Islands arc was boring.

I believe that Ash was Top 16 again because the writers wanted the series to be similair like the Original series where in Kanto he had the same rank like you said

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Hoenn was terrible, but atleats we got the Battle Frontier. In Unova I didn't found the Team Plasma arc anything special, and the Decolore Islands arc was boring.

I believe that Ash was Top 16 again because the writers wanted the series to be similair like the Original series where in Kanto he had the same rank like you said

They really didn't need to make it that similar, though. It really just comes across as being utterly stupid and bad because it means Ash basically flunked being a Pokémon Master ultimately. How the heck is he supposed to improve his game if he does worse than the prior region?!

And yes, at least the Battle Frontier actually did some good in AG. Too bad they occasionally shattered continuity and dropped out of referencing Kanto frequently. And it also doesn't help matters much that Brock decided to be irresponsible again by leaving Pewter Gym to his family after they did an even worse job than the last time he had to thwart a near disaster at the gym involving his family, with Forrest, the gym leader basically failing to do his duty and stop his mom from doing an even worse makeover, not to mention basically placing the gym at risk of burglary by accepting tickets from total strangers. Honestly, if I were him, I'd probably deeply consider taking over Pewter Gym again simply because I cannot trust my own family to run it in a good manner, even if it meant having to quit travelling with Ash and co.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    He will lose, just like in past and just like in future.
    Heck, with the team he has now, it would be a joke if he actually won...

Well , I make my choice !
    If Ash loses Kalo League then I leaving this show for good .
    I only watched this long because I believe ''The 6th time to be charm''

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Top 2 is imo absolutely out of options.
    Making Satoshi lose in the finals would have much bigger impact in terms of hate than making him lose in TOP 16, 8, 4.

Well , I make my choice !
    If Ash loses Kalo League then I leaving this show for good .
    I only watched this long because I believe ''The 6th time to be charm''
    You should find something to watch on Thursday's evenings then =D

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    Top 2's pretty far. Ash tends to get overwhelmed by the pressure of the tournaments and that's why he loses, at least that's how it always seems. I could maybe see him overcoming a bunch of his rivals and maybe battling his main one (whoever it ends up being - Shauna??) in the Top 4... but Top 2 is a long shot as it's never happened and I doubt it will now.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    I'd be extremely surprised if he does, I just can't see it. I know it was the first season, but if ever there was an opportunity to make ash actually look like he'll ever be a serious competitor it would have been to let him win the indigo league. I know he won the orange league, but I don't really class that. If he'd have won the indigo league, and then lost johto it woukd have been as surprise. Then we might take ash winning hoenn league and so on seem like a possibility.

The way he's been portrayed, it just doesn't seem like he ever will.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022
    If Ash wins, the Anime is over. The Anime director even confirmed this. There would be nothing left to do. (I don't care if the usual Anime dissapears and gets replaced by an Origin-isque one.)

I do think Ash is going to get far this time. He will definitely have Greninja and Talonflame, and maybe even a Mega evolution.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    If Ash wins, the Anime is over. The Anime director even confirmed this. There would be nothing left to do. (I don't care if the usual Anime dissapears and gets replaced by an Origin-isque one.)

I do think Ash is going to get far this time. He will definitely have Greninja and Talonflame, and maybe even a Mega evolution.

Technically, the director you're referring to has stopped being the director after Battle Frontier (remember, the Pokebeach interview you're referring to took place during the airing of the first "season" so to speak of DP [yes, I know animes don't have seasons in Japan, but humor me], and they referred to him as being the director up to BF, meaning he wasn't director anymore). And with that said, what's to say that they won't just have Ash lose against Gary again like they had when he won the Orange Islands League and the Battle Frontier (and the latter's particularly egregrious as the Brains were mentioned to be at least as strong as if not stronger than the Elite 4).

Either way, Ash definitely needs to at least get back to Top 4 after the disaster that was Unova. Even Hoenn's rank was better than Unova as at least Ash didn't decrease several ranks.

Oh, and BTW, the Anime made clear that even if Ash does actually win a league, he'd still need to face the Elite 4, so don't get your hopes up.

Top 2 is imo absolutely out of options.
    Making Satoshi lose in the finals would have much bigger impact in terms of hate than making him lose in TOP 16, 8, 4.

People actually hated BW's ending precisely because he decreased in ranking. The entire point of increasing in rank is to show that Ash actually got better. And besides, a lot of people were irritated at Ash's cheap loss in DP anyways.

Years

I agree with this, if Ash does win then there would be no reason for him to continue. I am hoping he can get pretty far like he did in Sinnoh, but lose to someone who isn't doing it in a cheap way a la Tobias.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023

Not quite sure what tournaments you watched, but Ash finished top 16 in Kanto, top 8 in Johto, Top 8 in Hoenn, Top 4 in Sinnoh, and Top 8 in Unova. So Ash did the exact same as Johto and Hoenn.

There isn't a Third or Fourth place in these style of tournaments so the only places that count are First and Second (runner up). Everyone that finished top 4 is the same ranking (so the other two are just top 4), and all four that finished top 8 all have the same Ranking. Ash had top 8 three times now so he placed three times in the same rank. He didn't do any better or worse among these three instances.

Ash for Ash's placement. I don't see him winning this one. Its very early to give a definite answer, but he's not destined to win anything other than minor tournaments anyway. Maybe we'll have another view further down the line but I can see him Top 8ing again to keep the same flow going.

He'll lose to some nonamed character that appears last minute in the Anime as per the norm.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back