• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will there FINALLY be a Dark type gym?

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I really do want to see a Dark-type gym just because we haven't had one yet. But if there was a gym based on the moon, it would likely be either a Fairy or Ghost type gym, since Fairy types have some connection with lunacy, and Ghost types are more based on the shadow element. Likewise, the moon is said to have some connection with the supernatural.

Because Umbreon is a Ghost type. Oh, wait a minute...

I don't disagree that Dark has associations with evil, but let's not pretend that it's never been associated with shadows and nighttime either. Again, all of the original Dark types were nighttime only encounters, and Umbreon is heavily associated with nighttime and the moon.

A lot of Dark type attacks are based around tricky, sneaky fighting, which is something that tends to be more effective at night than in broad daylight. (You know, kind of like how you're far more likely to get robbed or mugged at night than during the middle of the day.)

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I... I never noticed there was never a Dark type gym O_o

I would love if there was one. I believe that Dark is an underrated type and needs more exposure. It is also a really useful type to you in battle, at least in my opinion.

UltimateThundrFang

Pokemon Expert
    Years
    If there's not a Dark Type gym this Generation, I'm going to have to admit it's very improbable that we'll get one. There's no logical reason why the Dark Type has gotten the shaft Generation after Generation, when every other type has had at least one Gym Leader. Quite honestly, as a fan of the Dark Type in general, it's very frustrating.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    I would say definitely if there isn't, I'm not buying either games of this generation, period.

The only types that should be Alola in S/M, or are most likely are:

Fighting -Lua would be what the Gym Leader would be practicing akin to Chuck's karate in Gold/Silver.
    Fire -Hula dancer themed gym.
    Normal
    Grass
    Dark - Dark contrasts with Fighting.
    Psychic
    Poison or Fairy
    Water -Surfer or Fisherman

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    I would say definitely if there isn't, I'm not buying either games of this generation, period.

The only types that should be Alola in S/M, or are most likely are:

Fighting -Lua would be what the Gym Leader would be practicing akin to Chuck's karate in Gold/Silver.
    Fire -Hula dancer themed gym.
    Normal
    Grass
    Dark - Dark contrasts with Fighting.
    Psychic
    Poison or Fairy
    Water -Surfer or Fisherman
    Do you really want a Dark-type gym so much that you wouldn't buy the games if there isn't one? I mean, it's just a gym, with a leader who most likely won't even appear much after you beat them...

But anyways, I do hope we finally get our Dark gym these games. There's still no good reason on why we haven't had one yet.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    Do you really want a Dark-type gym so much that you wouldn't buy the games if there isn't one? I mean, it's just a gym, with a leader who most likely won't even appear much after you beat them...

But anyways, I do hope we finally get our Dark gym these games. There's still no good reason on why we haven't had one yet.
    It seems like such an obvious thing to have in a game about Sun and Moon. Even X and Y should've had a dark type in it as a contrast between life and death. While it's hyperbole, I still feel that not having a dark type is as ludicrous as not having a poison. Heck, the conservation theme of the games would go well with a pollution-themed Gym with a leader that's a homage to Giovanni and Team Rocket. Perhaps a team that's not a pathetic mess like Flare around that concept. But I won't have faith since Unova had a Team PETA that exploited Pokemon to further their quest, and Flare was pointless.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    It seems like such an obvious thing to have in a game about Sun and Moon. Even X and Y should've had a dark type in it as a contrast between life and death. While it's hyperbole, I still feel that not having a dark type is as ludicrous as not having a poison. Heck, the conservation theme of the games would go well with a pollution-themed Gym with a leader that's a homage to Giovanni and Team Rocket. Perhaps a team that's not a pathetic mess like Flare around that concept. But I won't have faith since Unova had a Team PETA that exploited Pokemon to further their quest, and Flare was pointless.
    You kind of just jumped topics there from gyms to evil teams show Plasma and Flare some respect, mate.

But anyways, I still don't see why a Dark-type gym would have a big impact on if you'll get the games or not.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    You kind of just jumped topics there from gyms to evil teams show Plasma and Flare some respect, mate.

But anyways, I still don't see why a Dark-type gym would have a big impact on if you'll get the games or not.
    I'll go back on topic then. It's more on that it's such an obvious thing to do that's never been done, and it'd be cool for the first truly 3D game to have the first dark gym. Perhaps they should have a dual type that's Dark and Psychic, or something that compliments the Dark type. Perhaps Ice could work, since Hawaii has an ice cavern, and what hangs out in caves?

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    I'll go back on topic then. It's more on that it's such an obvious thing to do that's never been done, and it'd be cool for the first truly 3D game to have the first dark gym. Perhaps they should have a dual type that's Dark and Psychic, or something that compliments the Dark type. Perhaps Ice could work, since Hawaii has an ice cavern, and what hangs out in caves?
    Since Island Trials are now a thing, I think gyms are off the table. A Dark-type trial captain is possible, though.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Since Island Trials are now a thing, I think gyms are off the table. A Dark-type trial captain is possible, though.

As far as I know, it confirms that only 4 Captains exist, but one of the Kahuna's could be dark.

The Fire Captain seems like he could use a combination of Fire and Dark. It says he uses a Marowak, so I am pretty sure it is confirmed that Marowak has an Alolan form for fire.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    As far as I know, it confirms that only 4 Captains exist, but one of the Kahuna's could be dark.

The Fire Captain seems like he could use a combination of Fire and Dark. It says he uses a Marowak, so I am pretty sure it is confirmed that Marowak has an Alolan form for fire.
    According to the Japan site, there are more than four Island Captains.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
    I wouldn't expect there to be a dark-type Island Captain, from the Island Captains's type themes seems very natural/elemental, so if there are 4 more Island Captains I would expect Ground, Flying, Normal, and Ice.
    But I could see a Kahuna being dark-typeish due to having the Totem Pokémon and I could see a dark-type Totem.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Why would you want a gym leader with dark type when there are 3 dark type E4 members.

Because, every other type has had at least one gym? Plus, E4 members only get a fraction of the attention and exposure that gym leaders get. I wish it wasn't true, but that's how it is.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    Wow. Why wasn't I getting notifications for all these comments? I'm glad to see I'm not the only one really wanting this to happen.

Back