• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows, Mac, Or Linux?

Your OS

• Microsoft Windows

Votes: 102 75.0%
  • Apple Mac OSX

Votes: 33 24.3%
  • Linux

Votes: 35 25.7%

• Total voters
Years
  • At home, I have Windows XP Home edition installed on an old Dell Dimension. Yes, I know old, but that's all we can afford right now.

At school, we use Windows XP Professional. I see no difference between Home and Professional but I'm assured there are some. For graphic work, we have Apple Mac with OSX Leopard installed. I love it so much because of the aestetics and ease of use.

@ BenRK, listen to keep.QUIET. I think she knows what shes doing and I certainly see sense in what she's saying. I may not know that much about computers but the little expirience I've had brings me to agree with her.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Yep, more classic crap from you.

Oh, and you have claimed to be a girl. And cause you LOVE proof so much, here's some.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=5123530&postcount=38
    That's because I *am* a girl. A transgirl is still a girl; got it memorized? <3
    See, Zet removed your attempts are flamebait for the very reason of this; this is why you're going to be infracted; because you were told to stfu and gtfo and you couldn't take instructions~

Zet edit: a delicious transgirl~

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    Microsoft and Linux for me. No dual-booting though; I just put Unix on an old rig that was sitting around and I do all my programming assignments on it.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I am an Apple man all the way (If you haven't seen my username, then you deserve to die O_O ). So far, I have two computers running OS X, which are a MacBook (a few gens old; running OS X 10.5.8 (primary), 10.6.1 (thinking of upgrading but holding back for the time being), Windows XP (bluescreens on start, probably going to erase), Windows 7 in a virtual machine, Mac OS X in a virtual machine (10.5.2, hacked), and Ubuntu Linux (9.04)) and a Dell Mini 10v (pretty new, running a vanilla copy of OS X 10.5.8 (planning to upgrade to 10.6.1) and Windoze XP (for compatibility reasons)).

I know, I use a lot of OSes. :D

AtomicoExploda

I don't know.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    lolz I like reading wars, or somewhat debates. xD Them just seem interesting.
    Well anyway...

I use Microsoft Window Vista, and of course Windows 7 is a lot better. Mac is another I like, the interface looks nice and I like the slim style of apple. Linux is good too, as it is very customizable so I guess it's somewhat advanced.
    But preferably, Microsoft and Apple are the best, I don't know many other operating systems other than Ubuntu and I don't know everything about that, but Linux Mac and Windows seems the best.
    The best in my opinion would have to be Windows 7, the interface, features, and default programs have all been enhanced greatly, lots of things on it are like Vista though, but still much better.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • It's like nobody knows the meaning of tact anymore. :'( I mean, regardless of who is right and who is wrong, you guys don't need to provoke each other.

And now I'm probably going to get dragged into it. :( Oh well.

Anyway, my opinion of Linux isn't that it's amateur crap (though there are a lot of OSS projects that fit that bill). There tend to be two types of people that work on Linux distributions from my experience. Those two groups are people who have coded their whole life and don't do much else, and people who are paid by the company they work for to fix problems that arise (and then contribute their code back to the project).

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    I am an Apple man all the way (If you haven't seen my username, then you deserve to die O_O ). So far, I have two computers running OS X, which are a MacBook (a few gens old; running OS X 10.5.8 (primary), 10.6.1 (thinking of upgrading but holding back for the time being), Windows XP (bluescreens on start, probably going to erase), Windows 7 in a virtual machine, Mac OS X in a virtual machine (10.5.2, hacked), and Ubuntu Linux (9.04)) and a Dell Mini 10v (pretty new, running a vanilla copy of OS X 10.5.8 (planning to upgrade to 10.6.1) and Windoze XP (for compatibility reasons)).

I know, I use a lot of OSes. :D

Actually, you use about 3. :P

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
  • I really don't get why people use virtual machines. I mean, it's going to be inherently slower then just dual booting.

But for older OS's that you just want to goof around in and tinker with, yeah, I can understand that.

Mumei

Pokédork
    Years
  • Oh deary me. Mac elitism is running rampant. Why must you butt in whenever someone decides they'd like to use Linux or says something even remotely bad about a Mac?

Anyways... yeah, Ubuntu is probably what one would want to start with as far as Linux goes. Not that that's what I did, but then again I never do things the easy way ;)

Besides, I had no choice. Ain't no Cell Processor SDK fer Ubuntu.

Hehe, one of my friends is a Mac elitist and when I said I use Windows he made the funniest *angryface* =3

EDIT: Just realized I'm about a page late with my question answerin'. Ah well, my other point still stands.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I really don't get why people use virtual machines. I mean, it's going to be inherently slower then just dual booting.

But for older OS's that you just want to goof around in and tinker with, yeah, I can understand that.

I use VMs for two reason:
    1) I can :P
    2) Although it is slightly slower than a normal dual-boot, and it does hog system resources, I like the ability to have one computer running two or more OSes at once, which is an advantage to someone who uses more than one monitor.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    I really don't get why people use virtual machines. I mean, it's going to be inherently slower then just dual booting.

Coding/programming.

It's a lot easier than rebooting.

I don't presume you're a power user?

Back