• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Working at McDonald's

Pinta77

I work at mcdonalds and I think it's a decent first job. I think im treated fairly and the pay is fair for the kind of work it is. The customers are horrendous but other then that I like it. Maybe my glass is half full because they promoted me to crew trainer and they want to make me assistant manager.

Has anyone ever worked at mcdonalds and agree or disagree? Anyone who never worked there have an opinion? Any questions about mcdonalds behind the scene?

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
    Years
    Congratulations man! Getting a first job is extremely difficult because so many employers want experience. I think it's a good first job as well, but it's not something you want long term. Stay there for at least a year to prove you can hold a job and then try to move up in the world. Building a good resume is the next step in the job market, you don't want 20 jobs in a year on a resume because it makes it look really bad. Keep up the good work so you can be assistant manager, that will look even better on a resume.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Customers are horrendous if you're working in customer service, period. It's pretty much a staple of the job. I'm glad you like it though.

My first (not really shady) job was at Chuck E. Cheese's. It was all good until the new manager came in and compared me to his sister with Down's syndrome because I have mild autism. uh yeah that's not ok

My second job was at a picture place basically. Most of the year it wasn't too bad because it wasn't busy, but in the busy season it was designed to kill ya. Imagine 8 people responsible for taking over 100 appointments for pictures, most with families or little kids involved, from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm. Yeah. The people I worked with were also really catty and I didn't gel with them at all.

I'm starting my third job January 6th. It's not in customer service. So yay.

Years
    I never liked the idea of working at McDonald's, because the idea of coming home smelling of McDonald's is not a nice thought. :(​

Customers are horrendous if you're working in customer service, period.

Working at McDonald's

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
    Years
    Yea I've worked fast food before and hated coming home smelling like ****.

I didn't like fast food in general working there either because I never had a steady schedule and the work was as you said horrendous, and waaaay too fast paced.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    A job's a job. In this day and age, people should probably realize that they need to take what they can get, because getting a job is really tough. Especially if its a first job. I don't respect people who think they're above something like McDonalds or any other fast food job, for that matter, because a lot of people refrain from working there just because they hold a notion in their head that they're better than that. There are better jobs out there than working in a drive thru, sure, but holding onto the idea that you're above it I think is disgusting. Working in remedial jobs like that teach people great life lessons and help shape them as a person as well as motivate them to further themselves.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    I didn't like fast food in general working there either because I never had a steady schedule and the work was as you said horrendous, and waaaay too fast paced.
    Oh, I hated this too. Worse at Chuck but they pulled that **** at the picture place too. My new job is full time 9-5 steadiness. Finally, I can schedule things in advance...

Like I said in my last post, my last job was ridiculous in the Christmas season. I felt so much better leaving that crazy place. They showed no concern for the employees... no wonder their turnover is so high. ha. The Wednesday that I quit, that weekend I was scheduled to work 26 hours. Eeeyup. Half of my life in that period dealing with screaming children and parents who think you are worth nothing.

Years
    I guess it depends on the local franchise and the management, but I have heard from lots of people my age that have either had past jobs or current jobs at McDonald's that they suck and management is very stubborn about things. But then again, it's probably just the specific franchise that's in my area and could be different somewhere else.

Years
    I never understood why people kind of frown upon working at places like McDonalds and Burger King. A job is a job. It's not the most glamorous job, but its a job. Your getting paid. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'm with Stiles. I was just about to make a point about not understanding why people use "you'll work at McDonalds" as an insult. A job is a job, and who are you or anyone else to belittle someone for it? It's rude. I have actually seen someone yell at someone working at Wendy's for no legitimate reason. She asked him to move out of the line after he ordered, because they were busy and he was in the way. She was polite. And suddenly he went off on her, saying she needed to get a "real" job when he looked like he didn't even have one that was much better, so he was one to talk. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, it's not my ideal workplace and I wouldn't want to work there, but you gotta do what you gotta do. People are horrible anywhere you are, but I think those that work in fast food as opposed to fine dining or private restaurants have it worse because you're open to the general public and all ages and levels of crazy come with that. I don't know how y'all do it, honestly. If anything, it's training for tolerating stupidity haha. Good experience!

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'd work at Mickey D's for extra cash only.

Uhhhh, that is, if I have enough SWAG for such a job.
    Most of the people who work at my nearest McDonalds are actually really good lookin girls who look like they're seniors in high school.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Most of the people who work at my nearest McDonalds are actually really good lookin girls who look like they're seniors in high school.
    Perhaps it's because of where I live, but that is NOT the case for me lmao.

Anyhow, I might as well be honest, and admit that I'm one of those people who never wanted a job in McD. A good chunk of the rational behind that is that my parents have used McD as a synonym for failure for as long as I can remember. Nowadays, yea, I'm aware that that is not the case. As many have mentioned, a job is a job, and money is money. But McD just isn't my kind of place. Rarely ever eat the food there, especially since I swung veggie muncher. And from experience, the workers there look extremely dissatisfied. I would not, however, mind working in a place like Starbucks or Chipotle or even Dunkin Donuts. Places I go and eat.

Pinta77

Yeah my boss hired these new girls that look young. He even told me "I'm hiring them because I "need people thatnsmile on the register"". Basically yeah the pretty people are at the counter. I started on the register when I was still in highschool. Now I know how to do almost everything else and they avoid putting me on the register because im not to friendly. But hey, Id rather bust my ass than just stand there any day.

I've been working at mcdonalds for 1 year now.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I wouldn't want to work at McDonalds, or any other fast food place simply because I'd get waaaaayyyy too hungry. Plus they're huge corporations. The store I work for, The Lucky Charm, is actually super cool because there's only around 30 or so stores across the country, and our store itself is all pretty tight knit, like the majority of us get along great, the bosses are amazingly nice, we get extras like free magazines if they're leftover, good pay, not crazy long hours, and by selling lotto we're giving back to the community because a percentage of lotto sold here goes back into the community itself. OH AND WE GET TO BE CREATIVE IN COLOURING IN A FLASHING BOARD AND ORGANISING DISPLAYS. IT'S DA BEST. It's pretty much the best first job imo (though I haven't had any other job so I can't judge but STILL). I'd much rather retail over fast food basically lol. c:

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
    Considering me and social interaction don't gel, a first job in the customer servive field would really be a bit of a downer. I mean, it could force me to get better, but when I can't even go and order something on my own without breaking into a sweat, there's probably an issue.

I see a lot of people around me taking up first job opportunities at McDonald's, though, so it isn't like I'm one of the many who feel it's a one-way route to failure the second you're employed there. I do hear you're paid pistachio shells for your efforts but you wouldn't expect decent wages at this age anyway...

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
    I couldn't work at a place like Mc Donalds because I can't stand for hours and don't like people. I have a lot of recept of people who do work even though the pay is low at least they have a job.

Pinta77

Ya at my mcdonalds if they like you they will bombard you with hours o.o

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    I heard that if you work at McDonald's as a manager you get a pretty massive salary.

I couldn't do it myself, though. Just kind of cos of the social implications. Call me shallow, but I just can't v.v

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    If the McDonald's down the street offered me a job, I'd take it. If they were hiring , I'd probably apply too. I'm at the point where I'd take any job I can get my hands on. The social implications won't bother me too much cause I never came from the most wealthy family. I just want to work at this so I can make money of my own to help my family and to be able to buy things I want.

Back