• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

World Cup South Africa 2010

Who will win?

• Total voters
    Years
    interesting i'll try to watch them tomorrow.

I am wondering if anyone here has any tips for doing tricks and moves in soccer/ futbol?

Last edited:
    Years
    Won't be able to watch the Netherlands/Denmark game. Too early in the U.S. I'll be leaving class early to catch the Japan/Cameroon game though. :D

yea i was saying that earlier it starts at like 6 am here ima try to watch all three games though if i can get up early enough lol

TheReal

Epic Member
    Years
    Many people say they only lost to Russia because van Persie and Sneijder began feuding at that time.. and they're two of the best players on the team. It created some discord and bad blood.

Maybe, but I don't think so. Russia has a high score ratio. They may do only 3 shots on target per game, but score them all. That's the biggest weakness of Netherlands. It's just like Germany, they play the efficient football (In 2008, Germany eliminates Portugal winning by 3-2. They only did 5 shots on target but they score 3.)

jjeangi

It's me...
    Years
    Maybe, but I don't think so. Russia has a high score ratio. They may do only 3 shots on target per game, but score them all. That's the biggest weakness of Netherlands. It's just like Germany, they play the efficient football (In 2008, Germany eliminates Portugal winning by 3-2. They only did 5 shots on target but they score 3.)

I completely disagree. From the start, the Dutch weren't into the game. They just mentally weren't.

A) Sneijder and van Persie were heavily feuding (and still are, but not really as much)

B) Russia wasn't that highly ranked. They kicked all the highly ranked teams butts in the group stage, and figured they would just slide past Russia with a sub par performance.

Roman Pavlyuchenko and Arshavin did NOT agree to this, lol. While the Netherlands were juggling balls in limbo, Russia pulled one its best games in a while.

I wish they had qualified for this world cup. I think they're a much better team than a lot of people think they are. In fact, they're ranked pretty highly too...11th in the world I believe.

EDIT: Wolfeydawg, set your alarm for 6:20 and don't go to bed late because even without Robben, I'm pretty confident that this should be a good game.

Last edited:

TheReal

Epic Member
    Years
    B) Russia wasn't that highly ranked. They kicked all the highly ranked teams butts in the group stage, and figured they would just slide past Russia with a sub par performance.

Russia was in the second death group, they eliminate the european champion in competition (Greece) and another good team, Turkey. Everyone thought that Russia would be 4th place in that group. So, Netherlands already know that wouldn't be that easy. Also, Dick Advocat, the Russian manager that times, is known in europe to put any team winning, no matther what. And we know that Russia would only win playing efficient football, just like Zenit (Russian club) did that year, they won the Uefa cup playing that way.

jjeangi

It's me...
    Years
    Well we will see tomorrow how well the number 4 team does.

They're really more like 2 or 3. The Elo rankings which I find much (MUCH) more accurate than the Fifa rankings put them at 3. I think they're 2. But that's some bias.

Hopefully their strong performances will make their name more known. I'm sure TheReal would agree to this. Everyone knows their name when they start obliterating big teams and then people forget them when they lose to teams like Russia and don't get far in tournaments.

They always choke, happened in 74 78, other years. 88 they win the European Championships and shocked Europe. Then they choked some more. In 1998, Netherlands was kicking so dang butt and outplayed Brazil by far. Match was a draw at the end, and lost to Brazil in penalties because one guy kicked a slow low ball that the Brazilian goalkeeper easily saved. They should have gotten to the final.

Hopefully now they break the cycle.

And TheReal, I'm not arguing with you or anything. You're right, in that match, Russia outperformed the Netherlands. But the Netherlands were undoubtedly the better team. Upsets happen all the time. It could very well happen tomorrow. Denmark will try and embarrass the Netherlands just as they upset 2006 World Cup semi-finalists Portugal in the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.

Even though Robben's hamstring tear was a very small one and he is fit after a little over a week, Dutch coach van Marjwick won't play him in the opening match despite having said earlier that he would. He just wont take the risk of losing one of the tournament's best players. Robben pulls some of the flashiest goals and is one of the best left footers on the planet, but he'll be in the later matches and that's ok with me. It's better than not having him at all.

TheReal

Epic Member
    Years
    And TheReal, I'm not arguing with you or anything. You're right, in that match, Russia outperformed the Netherlands. But the Netherlands were undoubtedly the better team. Upsets happen all the time. It could very well happen tomorrow. Denmark will try and embarrass the Netherlands just as they upset 2006 World Cup semi-finalists Portugal in the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.

I'm not arguing with you too, calm down :) , I was just trying to explain my point of view, I'm european, in my country football is the most important sport, I watched that matched, so I know what i'm talking about. Besides that, I perfectly know Netherlands is completly superior to Russia. Also, Russia team is very instable, they do great european and world cups or they don't even qualify for them, like happened this year.
    About the tomorrow game, I can only say, just like you, that Denmark will try to embarrass Netherlands, but they'll win. The Dutch team is superior than the Portuguese team and Denmark gameplay is just waiting for the opponent errors to strike back. The Netherlands gameplay is almost perfect, there will be few errors by their part, so I bet they'll win tomorrow for 2-0.

jjeangi

It's me...
    Years
    I watch these games too. I pay extra so that my television provider gives me more soccer channels. I keep up with soccer news almost every day, so I'm pretty well informed.

Soccer may be big in your country. It's not in my country, but it's huge in my heart. I LOVE it. It's a beautiful game...except for this match between Portugal and Netherlands in 2006:
    Most yellow cards and reds I've seen in a match...Ever.

BUT, that match was entertaining as hell to watch. :D

Here are some more good videos on the Netherlands:

Last edited:

TheReal

Epic Member
    Years
    I watch these games too. I pay extra so that my television provider gives me more soccer channels. I keep up with soccer news almost every day, so I'm pretty well informed.

Soccer may be big in your country. It's not in my country, but it's huge in my heart. I LOVE it. It's a beautiful game...except for this match between Portugal and Netherlands in 2006:
    Most yellow cards and reds I've seen in a match...Ever.

BUT, that match was entertaining as hell to watch. :D

So you haven't seen the Portugal - Angola match for a Friendship throphy.. that ended before the regular time because almost all the angolan team got a red card. That was a really entertaining match.. or a really entertaining vale tudo fight xD

jjeangi

It's me...
    Years
    So you haven't seen the Portugal - Angola match for a Friendship throphy.. that ended before the regular time because almost all the angolan team got a red card. That was a really entertaining match.. or a really entertaining vale tudo fight xD
    I have NOT seen that. But since you mentioned it, I'll look it. :D

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2016
    Germany's game was great, they did pretty good VS Australia. However, Let's see what they will do VS better team.

Ghana and Serbia shouldn't interrupt.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Okay uhm, any chance we could keep youtube vids in spoilers? Gonna kill bandwidth :x

Very dissapointed in the Australia v Germany re****. Good game though, despite the fact that it was pretty much a walk over. Also watched the Slovenia v Algeria match yesterday. Very very poor game, it makes me wonder how they got through and some of the better teams didn't. Speaking from a personal perspective I bet the Irish team were sitting at home saying "We could have done better than that". In any case, Netherlands v. Denmark is kicking off soon. I wouldn't be suprised if Denmark held their own against the Dutch, it'll be an interesting match. Italy should beat Paraguay as should Cameroon beat Japan, but lately the should isn't always how it happens.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    I've tried watching a few different matches, but I always end up getting annoyed with those stupid plastic trumpets they gave everyone and end up turning it off. Sounds like mutant bees or something.

World Cup South Africa 2010

Back