• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Overall Anime Series?

What's the worst dubbed anime series so far?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2013
    I give my vote to TPCi-dubbed Sinnoh. Nothing about it evoked any emotion from me nor did it interest me in the least. Diamond and Pearl was probably much better in Japanese, but I found it even more full of filler (and lack of giving Ash a face and Brock anything other than an octagon 95% of the time for their faces) than other regions (e.g. 52 episodes to get from Snowpoint to Sunyshore, BORING filler episodes that made Battle Frontier seem interesting, horrible voiceovers by the TAJ (S10) and DuArt (S11-13) casts, and an extremely dull plot and rivals to boot.

Last edited:

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • Its none for me. But if you are asking for the worst between all of them that I love....It has got to be the Orange Island and some of the indifference toward Kanto.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I've never really been quite a big fan of Ash's adventures in Johto. Although it did hold many memorable moments, and my favourite of Ash's Pokémon Totodile, it never really felt worked for me as much as the other series. The fillers were also a big flaw in the series, not to say they weren't any good, but some were just not needed and eventually got quite boring.

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2013
    I've never really been quite a big fan of Ash's adventures in Johto. Although it did hold many memorable moments, and my favourite of Ash's Pokémon Totodile, it never really felt worked for me as much as the other series. The fillers were also a big flaw in the series, not to say they weren't any good, but some were just not needed and eventually got quite boring.

For me, it was neck and neck between Sinnoh and Battle Frontier. The new dub casts were almost too horrible for words. And they made Ash and Brock Beavis and Butthead in Sinnoh with Rogers and Natochenny deep to deep voicing. I honestly thought the BF dub was better (even with Natochenny's emotional dilemma then). The only redeeming thing about Sinnoh was Dawn: at least she did something, was interesting, and had a good dub VA. Unova (BW) is actually what's responsible for rekindling my love for the anime. Natochenny (Ash's VA) has improved drastically from DP, and Cilan and Iris are pretty interesting...but that's just my opinion.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • I haven't watched much of Johto, so I don't have the right to judge it. From what I've seen they weren't too bad.

First third of Sinnoh is what got me stop watching pokemon fairly regularly though. Maybe because it was my individual "pokemon is a kiddy" thought (I didn't play pokemon from 2006-10, mind you), but Sinnoh wasn't just my type. Those fillers were really boring for me, and I really disliked Dawn back then. (But I'm actually starting to like her now... too late?)

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Eh. I don't even know why I voted for the Battle Frontier saga. It wasn't even that long. Now that I think about it, I really don't dislike any of the sagas more than others. I kind of blame Johto for having a season of fillers, unlike what the pervious seasons had done. Then Hoenn made up for it, until Sinnoh came along.

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • Unova depresses me. I don't really like the whole idea of Ash rotating his team, well, that one Pokémon on his team anyway. His personality is a little annoying. I'd have preferred if they'd kept his age a mystery and didn't completely wipe away everything that had happened in previous seasons (not knowing that there were different Nurse Joys at every Pokémon Center, etc). As much as I support Team Rocket being more successful, they've become so dull. It annoys me that they had to sacrifice their personalities. Jessie's anger problems and Good ol' whiny James have been replaced with two characters that have no personalities. I don't like Iris either. Her voice is awful and her catchphrase drives me insane. Her personality isn't anything original either. Cilan is a little dull and the food/recipe talk is a little cringy but I guess he's better than Iris. I wasn't a fan of Sinnoh either.

Years
  • Anything dubbed by TPCI (mainly Sinnoh). I simply cannot get used to Ash's voice no matter how many times I'm exposed to it and, seeing as he's the main character, that makes it unbearable to watch.

Not only that, but Sinnoh as a whole was extremely boring for me - uninteresting sidekicks and washed out colors are among some of the reasons why. I'd rather sit through Johto five times over than marathon through dubbed Sinnoh once.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
  • I never really liked the Sinnoh region. It was good at first but then it didn't turn out that great and I think it's because the Sinnoh region had a lot of filler episodes compared to most of the other series. I didn't like the main characters in this that much, Dawn, Brock(Mainly because they brought him back but he didn't do anything really in the Sinnoh Region). I did enjoy the rivals and Ash in this series though and there were some good Pokemon battles in the series. I personally think the series gotten better when Ash entered the tournament at the very end.

Musashi

Nope, that's not me
    Years
  • I really disliked Hoenn and found it boring. I couldn't sit through the entire thing because Max's personality was just egregious.

Unova is probably the worst, imo. While I'm not a fan of the twerps, their characters have been butchered by an invisible "reset" button (which I don't think is fair). Then as for the Team Rocket trio... what the heck happened?! They've become cardboard they no longer interest me (and that's a day I never thought would happen). I find this really depressing because they were the main reason I stood by the anime for so long. The series as a whole is so boring that I've given up on it and I'm trying to pretend it never even happened. So for that... I vote Unova as the worst series.

Years
  • I really hated the Battle Frontier season dub. Yeah, that's when 4kids lost the dub rights to TPCi. The new voice actor Sarah was really bad at Ash's voice acting. That's when I stopped watching pokemon Anime altogether. I started watching it again in Sinnoh Leauge. I though the series matured in Sinnoh Leauge Victors. It felt like the animation also improved a lot. I was hyped up for Unova too. But it's dissapointing to see Ash still 10. I dislike Iris a bit, but I still am watching it, hoping it gets better.

Top fav. Seasons only( All regions have there good and bad points)
    Sinnoh Leauge Victors
    Pokemon Advanced
    Johto Leauge Champions

Last edited:

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Logged in to vote for Johto. Even though BW irritates me with this permanent reset, at least some...wait...I should've voted for Unova :(

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Johto still my most hated. It wa spretty much a copy of Kanto and had no story at all. It did get a bit good at the end of it though. I'm not sure why so many hate Unova it is in my top 4. Unova has a lot more story then any other.

From best to worst.

Hoenn
    Kanto
    Unova
    Battle Frontier
    Orange Islands
    Johto
    Sinnoh

Years
  • Whoever said Johto, go die in a hole.
    It was the best series, The worst thing about it was when Ash left Charizard. I cried.
    The opening was the best, it'll be all quite in class and then you'll hear

"Do-la-da-do-do, Do-la-da-do-do"

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • No need to get mad about us saying Johto. Yes the theme song was good even great and yes the end of the series was also good but over all it was a repeat of Kanto. Johto had a lot of good features it is just what everone thinks. Johto had some of the best pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    I'm surprised people like Hoenn. For me, that is when the entire series just went downhill. Two annoying new characters (especially Max), stale-ass Team Rocket, and horrible, HORRIBLE voice acting. The series just no longer had any flare, and it was getting stale for me. I at least hoped that Unova would be different with the new ideas it presented, but now I kind of hate Unova just as much as Hoenn.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Whoever said Johto, go die in a hole.
    It was the best series, The worst thing about it was when Ash left Charizard. I cried.
    The opening was the best, it'll be all quite in class and then you'll hear

"Do-la-da-do-do, Do-la-da-do-do"

You like Johto? Go die in a hole!
    That wasn't really necessary imo;

Anyway, I loved the adventures of Ash and co. in the Sinnoh region, like a poster above me mentioned, it felt more matured and towards the ending portions of the series, I eally felt for the first time ash wasn't a 10 year-old boy, it felt like he was a teenager an experienced trainer who took Pokemon Battling seriously. For me, it will have to be the Unova saga, my god is it bland not to mention the total reset! I wanted Ash to carry his skills further, but no, he just had to 'suddenly' lose them, just like he stupidly lost his place in the Sinnoh League after facing 2 legendaries. So overall, the anime is going downhill tbh; especially in the Unova region, but, I am starting to warm up to it, which I suppose is a positive. Meh, not going to keep me from watching it. :D Just would prefer if it was better.

Back