• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen WTF moment thread

Years
    L5Animations said:
    Came across a random shiny Ursaring in Crystal. But the weird thing is, it was the FIRST Pokemon I came across in the Silver Cave. Not something you expect to happen right away, much less at all.

You think that's odd? Let me tell you about my Silver Version. The first wild Pokemon I ran into after getting my first set of Poke Balls was a shiny Sentret. I kid you not. I wasn't even planning on using a Sentret, but you can bet that sucker was on my team for a good while afterward. I considered her my own little good luck charm. :)

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
    Years
    After playing pokemon games for as long as I can remember, I finally saw my first wild shiny pokemon the other day. It was a drowzee, but unfortunately, I killed it before I could catch it. Still, I was pretty excited afterwards.

dragonite149

I am not male
    Years
    On Pokemon Blue, my WTF moment was a battle. Or a one move of a battle.
    CODE:
    abc=game text
    abc=what I was saying

Battle Log:
    Wild Pidgey appeared! Go Flutterin!(Caterpie)!
    Oh man. This can't be good. Pidgeys only have Gust at this early stage, and Flutterin! is weak to Flying Type moves like Gust. Oh well, better get ready for Flutterin! to lose lots of health.
    Wild Pidgey used Gust!
    It wasn't Super Effective?!?! WTF?!?!
    Oh, I remember now. Gust was a Normal Type move in this generation.

Germaniac

Victoria Concordia Crescit
    Years
    I just playing my Red game, I catched an Exeggutor and use it, but it was laughed at me, it was so scare :x
    WTF moment thread

Wtf

Last edited:

Gundisalvus Kuno

Solving Problems Since 1999
    Years
    I just playing my Red game, I catched an Exeggutor and use it, but it was laughed at me, it was so scare :x
    WTF moment thread

Wtf

Haha. Yeah, that was never a comforting site. Many of the sprites from the first generation tended to have that effect on me.

My biggest WTF moment would have to be when I first arrived in Glitch City. I thought my game would be lost forever. Also, when I saw my first shiny pokemon. It was a Zubat, but still, it was a pretty memorable moment

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2013
    So I'm playing gold version and I'm trying to catch Raikou. Here's how it goes:

Wild Raikou appeared!
    Finally!!!! Now I just have to use Mean Look, and it's as good as mine!
    Haunter used Mean Look!
    Hahaha he's trapped now!
    Enemy Raikou used Roar!
    wait... wha-
    Haunter fled in fear...
    WTF!!!???

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    Going over to my friend's violin's teacher house, finding out he had a JAP version of Silver, wanting to play it, and then finding out his Gameboy's battery had died and he lost the charger....

My WTF moment was in Crystal. After booting up the pc in player's house, I decided to read some mails I stored earlier in the game. The game suddendly glitched, the graphics were all messed up, and then it resets itself, showing up a black and white Crystal title screen with the message "This game is meant to be played on a Game Boy Color" or something similiar.
    And in my hands I held a Game Boy Color...such a trauma. :(

There was a glitch like that in my Gold. My bro kept banging my cartridge to get to see Ho-Oh in full detail and he somehow ended up having all the colors wacked up, my and everyone elses sprites were balck, and I was at the edge of my screen... well my sprite was.

Last edited:

KtTuLu

P-a-t-t-y-w-a-c-k-e-r
    Years
    I've been playing pokemon for over 7 years, and I've only come across 2 shiny pokemon; a shiny Zubat and a shiny Onix
    Both were on Pokemon Silver, both were found in Union Cave, and both times, I was playing on a regular non-color Gameboy
    The only way I found out they were shiny, is the little sparkle that came up

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    I've been playing pokemon for over 7 years, and I've only come across 2 shiny pokemon; a shiny Zubat and a shiny Onix
    Both were on Pokemon Silver, both were found in Union Cave, and both times, I was playing on a regular non-color Gameboy
    The only way I found out they were shiny, is the little sparkle that came up

How do you play it on the original GameBoy? If you tried to play it, it would say "This game is meant to be played on GameBoy Color" or something.

BLK

Trainer From The Holon Region
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2021
    lost my nidoqueen for two days and found it in the day care lvl100

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    I remember running into a Shiny Donphan on silver about 7 years ago.
    First shiny EVER, so I was very careful with lowering it's hp. And then... CRITICAL HIT D:

light_umbreon

pokemon lover
    Years
    • Age 29
    • ohio
    • Seen Sep 8, 2013
    battling blaine in yellow version he takes down my pikachu and then I own his lvl 50 or so rapidash with a lvl 10 squirtle and win

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    I apparently caught a shiny Jynx oh so many years ago on my Crystal. And then like a month ago, I was just searching through, looking to see what Pokemon I had and play a little and then I realized that it was shiny.
    I was like WTF? I have had a shiny Jynx for like, 8 or 9 years and NEVER REALIZED IT?

Dr. Montague

FOnewm
    Years
    Route below Pallet Town:
    Shiny Tangela appeared
    Go Starmie
    Starmie used Thunder Wave
    Tangela sits there, being green and cool
    Starmie lowers it's HP to small amounts
    Tangela sits there
    Ultra Ball fails
    The wild Tangela fled

....D:

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    catching all the glitch pokemon but one. then as i'm about to catch the last one the game crashes =[

jimmefoxx

Beatlemaniac Jimme
    Years
    I once lost to a trainer whose only pokemon was a magikarp in Red. I was on my way to a pokecenter with my enter team fainted, and the last one poisoned and on his death bed with no helpful supplies. I had just enough steps to get there too, except I forgot I passed over a fisherman on my travels and was caught in a battle. Both hyper fang attacks from my raticate missed, the magikarp used tackle twice and I lost....seriously, fml
    maaaan thats terrible...hahaha poor raticate it didnt even lose like a Brave.

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    New on here! So, I was playing my Gold, did the bug catching contest, and a Shiny Buterfree appeared! Or, so I thought I caught it, went out, couldn't wait to gloat in front of my brother 'cause he never caught a shiny. He says, "That's not shiny." PokeDex look up, and.. you know what happens. Seriously, FML.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I've had plenty of WTF moments when I played Silver. I'll just name one:

Fighting Lance's Dragonites during the elite four. My party were below Level 55, without expecting it, Lance sent out a level 60 Dragonite. I was very close to beat him but nope, I got crushed big time.

Back