• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wut type changes would u make?

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2021
    Hm… right. I can understand those points, but logically, hitting a large iceberg-like substance is probably gonna hurt if you aren't trained to do so. Like y'know, I'm sure something like a large block of freezed up water definitly isn't gonna get blown down in one standard, non-prepared hit.

Anyone else got more thoughts on the matter?

Mentioned it in the other thread and despite it getting debated, I still think Ice should resist Normal because y'know, it isn't called the Snow type or anything, a large block of frozen water getting hit by a non-trained hit would be just as effective as hitting rock or metal. I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.

And yeah, like another user mentioned, it's weird how Water is not weak to Ice even though you can freeze water logically.

Maybe it's because rock and steel have exteriors made of their type, while ice Pokémon usually don't have exteriors made of their type. And perhaps rock and steel Pokémon are just more sturdy than ice type, so normal has more trouble hitting them than they do ice

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    As far as I'm aware, Steel is a very poor conductor of electricity. So I'd make it resist Electric, perhaps even make Steel attacks neutral against Electric.
    To balance the type I'd then perhaps remove its resistance to Ghost - I don't think Casper cares what your walls are made of, he's just going to float through them regardless.

Ice not being super-effective on Water tracks to me - wave action can sculpt ice, or break it apart, and moving water is very difficult to freeze (given Pokémon are alive, they'll be moving). I'd have them resist each other.
    I'd perhaps alter Bug too. Make Rock resist it, but then remove Fighting's resistance to it to balance it.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Hm. Mulled over the Ice changes. Loses offense. (Trades super-effective versus Grass away to be normal effective versus Steel, technically.) Appreciates the straight defensive buff for sure.

Asks if that actually solves Ice's problem, however. Runs deeper than type matchups. Designed most with poor Speed outside of Hail, lopsided defenses, and double weaknesses. Contains only not crippled by these: Galarian Darmanitan, Alolan Ninetales, Mamoswine?, maybe Weavile, and perhaps a legendary or two like Glastrier. Fixed a few double weaknesses, like Articuno's. Is it enough? Shrugs.

Improved Weavile's standing for a Hail team. Deals with the Grass types that Alolan Ninetales now fears. Helped out Frosmoth considerably between this and Bug's changes. Shed itself of both double weaknesses. Takes double damage from Fire, Rock, and Flying now. Resists Water, Grass, Poison, Dark, Ice, and Ground. Could be a strong Special pivot with Ice Scales.

Segues into Bug's changes. Enjoys the considerable defense buff once again. Continues to likely be held back by something from the competitive side: Stealth Rocks. (Note: Is not a competitive player. Take this entire post's opinions with a grain of Shoal Salt.) Tied Bug up with Flying often. Doubles this pain with Bug's (increasingly less unique) move: U-turn. Weighs down its best users like an Iron Ball. Adds Rock Slide being a common move (for damage and flinch chances) in Doubles.

Biggest winners from Bug changes: Escavalier + Scizor (no more double Fire weakness), maybe Water/Bug types, and Bug/Poison types (three weaknesses, four resistances, and three double resistances).

Brings up one concern, also: Psychic-types. Suffers hard from these changes indirectly, if effective. Pushes up Poison, which makes Psychics more valuable. Also boosted Bug, Dark, and gave a resistance to Psychic to Grass. Bodes ill for a type already being suppressed by Knock Off, Sucker Punch, and Poltergeist(?).

Apologizes if this all sounds negative. Helped out types which need it. Mostly weakened types faring more than fine currently. Did pretty well. Might lead to a resurgence of Scizor, in particular. Imagines Mega Beedrill tearing it up too. Cannot say how the scales would tip as a result. Values certain Pokemon more based on the current dominant type.

Edit: Spoilered the list of changes in the Google Doc, relative to current mechanics. May help others to see differences, rather than the end result. Found it useful, personally. Should be correct.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back