• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

WWDC Thread

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    So, with Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference just a week away, I figured it'd be nice to start building some hype and see what people are expecting to see from the week ahead. At this point it's pretty obvious we're going to get iOS 8 and 10.10, but what else? New hardware? iPhone probably, but what about iPods? Are they going to save that for a later event in September? All thoughts welcome.

Also a bit of a longshot but it'd be nice to start getting some dev discussion as well—I guess this thread could be used as a feeler for how many iOS/Mac devs are actually out here on PC and are excited for the rest of the conference, as opposed to just the starting keynote? :p All discussions within the NDA, of course.

Years
  • I've been curious to know if they're going to unveil a new iPod Touch design or not, which is why I've been holding off on getting one. It seems for the past few years, it's been some of the same old stuff such as a new iOS version and new iPhones in the works.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Yeah, iPods have definitely been taking the back seat over the past couple of years. They tried to emphasise the Touch as a gaming device for some time but that seems to have died down as well. I have a feeling they might change things up a bit this year, though.

No hope for the iPod classic though, I don't think :p

Zet

Years
  • I like seeing what Apple brings out every year, even though I used to be a part of the "lol it's just the same phone every year" crowd, Apple has really grown on me(and other companies do the same ♥♥♥♥ *cough samsung *cough*). I hope the new UI for 10.10 will look fantastic, as the current UI has grown on me.

Years
  • I wonder now if Apple is actually going to make the next version of Mac OSX look similar to iOS in terms of design. I'd probably hope not, but up until iOS 7, iOS and OSX have generally looked the same in terms of design with icons and general window appearance.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I like seeing what Apple brings out every year, even though I used to be a part of the "lol it's just the same phone every year" crowd, Apple has really grown on me(and other companies do the same ♥♥♥♥ *cough samsung *cough*). I hope the new UI for 10.10 will look fantastic, as the current UI has grown on me.

I wonder now if Apple is actually going to make the next version of Mac OSX look similar to iOS in terms of design. I'd probably hope not, but up until iOS 7, iOS and OSX have generally looked the same in terms of design with icons and general window appearance.

If Greg Christie's retirement is any indication, odds are OS X is very well on its way to look a lot more like iOS, now that Ive is the only one steering all things design. We might not see a drastic change to the look and feel of OS X this summer, but it's coming sooner or later. If anything, whatever happens this year is going to be a serious indication of how much things are going to change for OS X over the next couple of years, at the very least.

Years
  • Based on rumors I've seen going around, it seems that the next version of OS X is going to be called Yosemite.

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2014
    I just finished watching the Live Stream of the WWDC and I was awesome. I'm kinda surprised that there was nothing about a new iPod, iMac or other devices, this was software heavy but it was still good none the less. Thoughts?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I just finished watching the Live Stream of the WWDC and I was awesome. I'm kinda surprised that there was nothing about a new iPod, iMac or other devices, this was software heavy but it was still good none the less. Thoughts?
    I don't think they ever announce new hardware in the summer WWDC. It's always software, to my recollection.

Anyway! I'm super excited. Mostly for the ability to answer phone calls and all text messages from my Mac than anything else!

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2014
    I don't think they ever announce new hardware in the summer WWDC. It's always software, to my recollection.

Anyway! I'm super excited. Mostly for the ability to answer phone calls and all text messages from my Mac than anything else!

I'm glad they finally integrated in sending audio clips right from iMessage, Facebook has been doing it for quite some time now.

Zach said:
    Based on rumors I've seen going around, it seems that the next version of OS X is going to be called Yosemite.

Good Call.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • iOS8 will be compatible with iPhone 4S, to be honest I am surprised! I was already thinking of upgrading to the 5C in the fall, but I guess I can handle the 4S a little longer!

Surprised this wasn't mentioned/discussed yet, so I'll drop this here. The feature I liked the most is the new interactive notifications where you can send messages, like facebook posts, send @replies on twitter, etc. It's absolutely convenient.

Years
  • I guess I'll have to wait for September then to see if a new iPod Touch is going to come out. Usually Apple has their keynotes sometime in September on the hardware/device front, and I really want to upgrade away from the iPod Touch 4G :P

Interesting how the iPad 2 will be getting iOS 8 as well.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I guess I'll have to wait for September then to see if a new iPod Touch is going to come out. Usually Apple has their keynotes sometime in September on the hardware/device front, and I really want to upgrade away from the iPod Touch 4G :P

Interesting how the iPad 2 will be getting iOS 8 as well.

Why is that interesting?

That's usually how Apple is with software updates.

Years
  • Why is that interesting?

That's usually how Apple is with software updates.
    I said it was interesting with the iPad 2, because of how "old" the hardware is in comparison to the later models of the iPad. Obviously it's better than the hardware of iPhones, but I would have thought that Apple would have wanted its older devices to just fade away by now.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I said it was interesting with the iPad 2, because of how "old" the hardware is in comparison to the later models of the iPad. Obviously it's better than the hardware of iPhones, but I would have thought that Apple would have wanted its older devices to just fade away by now.
    They'll probably cut it off with the next OS, but I think all generations last three versions.

...I think. At least that's what it seems. They generally try to keep as many updated as they can, and if the hardware doesn't support it then they cut it off then. That being said, I do think they should have cut it off. I went to my old iPhone 4S running iOS 7 and it is so laggy, so I imagine an iPad 2 running a more advanced software will end up being even more laggy.

Back