• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2014
    A good name for shiny Latios

I'm trading for shiny Latios, and I want to nickname it. (Keep in mind I am thirteen...lol)

My sister said I should name it Starfire...which sounds pretty cool but I am afraid later on in life I might hate it... as I said, I'm thirteen...

Any other suggestions? And yes I am aware Starfire is the name of someone from some fandom I don't remember.

AZ Jr

There is a fine line between fishing and just stan
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 9, 2014
    Hmm... looks like you're on your own there. I've never experienced it, and apparently no one else on the internet knows either. I'm going to guess at what might be the problem.

- Bad Internet?
    - The trader you were trading with was attempting to glitch the game?
    - You are on a unnofficial variant of the game (any kind of emulator) or you copy is broken?

I don't know. Unless anyone who turns these games inside out knows an answer, your on your own with that. If the problem persists though, I strongly suggest buying a new copy. I hope I was some sort of help.

Taiji Dragon

I evolved mine very quickly. You need sooth bell, give it massages, buy it colorful shakes in Lumiose and give it vitamins, after that go on your bike and take many steps. After you think you had enough use rare candy once or level up in grass. After the level up you will know for sure if your Eevee has enough happiness. It will evolve. If not just keep cycling and battling with low leveled pokemon. It sometimes just takes one level to evolve it. Though the entire process may take 45 mins to an hour or so.

AZ Jr

There is a fine line between fishing and just stan
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 9, 2014
    Maybe Jetix, or Sora? A few pretty popular choices.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2022
    It sort of happened before but those times the pokemon just went back to the box when I hit back. The disappearing only happened that one time and it was a pokemon I had 3 of anyway so I'm not too upset but its really weird because you can only get the button to even appear in certain circumstances and I can't work out what its actually supposed to do.

Wonder if the other trader has the pokemon now or if it just vanished.

Thanks for trying to help, don't know where else I can post this in order to get an answer. Do we have a section for weird glitches?

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    there are many pokemons in this game ... how can you tell which 1 is suit for online battle?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I evolved mine very quickly. You need sooth bell, give it massages, buy it colorful shakes in Lumiose and give it vitamins, after that go on your bike and take many steps. After you think you had enough use rare candy once or level up in grass. After the level up you will know for sure if your Eevee has enough happiness. It will evolve. If not just keep cycling and battling with low leveled pokemon. It sometimes just takes one level to evolve it. Though the entire process may take 45 mins to an hour or so.

I stumbled upon this while hatching eggs when trying to evolve my baby pokemon in order to breed them. Go to any intersection in Lumiose City, have the pokemon you want to have maxed happiness lead your party, then hit extreme right or left on the control stick so that your character moves directly to the side (and since they're in the variable camera environment of Lumiose, they will simply rollerblade around in a circle) now gently wedge a folded up piece of paper or post it note or something (some people suggest dimes but I strongly advise against that) so that the character is permanently moving in a circle. Now come back in around 20 minutes and it will have maxed happiness. (level it up by one to see) this is also the easy way to hatch eggs as well.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    Chain Fishing Issues?

Hi guys :) just got a quick question about chain fishing.

Do you have to talk to the fisherman before you can begin to chain fish? I recently started the game and haven't reached route 16 yet. Do you have to talk to him before shinnies can begin appearing whilst chain fishing?

Thanks a lot :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Hi guys :) just got a quick question about chain fishing.

Do you have to talk to the fisherman before you can begin to chain fish? I recently started the game and haven't reached route 16 yet. Do you have to talk to him before shinnies can begin appearing whilst chain fishing?

Thanks a lot :)

No, you can chain fish as soon as you get your first rod :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    there are many pokemons in this game ... how can you tell which 1 is suit for online battle?

Most Pokemon can be used effectively in online battles with the right strategy. There are some that tend to be more popular though, like Kangaskhan and Talonflame. I suggest just using your favourites and learn from the strategies and Pokemon you see others using :) Smogon.com is a great site for information on battle strategies though, if you prefer to learn that way.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
    Kinda a math question: what's the probability of receiving a 3 IV, 4 IV, 5 IV, and 6 IV Pokemon from the Friend Safari?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Kinda a math question: what's the probability of receiving a 3 IV, 4 IV, 5 IV, and 6 IV Pokemon from the Friend Safari?

Well, technically, since you're guaranteed to always get 2 IV pokemon, you only need to "find" a 1, 2, 3 or 4 IV Pokemon (since the other two IVs will always be there) Anyway, the odds seem to be:
    6IV ~> 1:5308416
    5IV ~> 1:110592
    4IV ~> 1:2304
    3IV ~> 1:48

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Well, technically, since you're guaranteed to always get 2 IV pokemon, you only need to "find" a 1, 2, 3 or 4 IV Pokemon (since the other two IVs will always be there) Anyway, the odds seem to be:
    6IV ~> 1:5308416
    5IV ~> 1:110592
    4IV ~> 1:2304
    3IV ~> 1:48

Why are you multiplying by 48 each time?? Surely it should be 32 since there are 32 possible values for each IV? Besides, you can't just multiply like that. The actual probabilities are:

At least 3IV ~> 1 - (31/32)^4 = 12% (roughly)
    At least 4IV ~> 1 - (31/32)^4 - 4(1/32)(31/32)^3 = 0.56% (roughly)
    At least 5IV ~> (1/32)^4 + 4(31/32)(1/32)^3 = 0.012% (roughly)
    6IV ~> (1/32)^4 = 0.0001% (roughly)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Why are you multiplying by 48 each time?? Surely it should be 32 since there are 32 possible values for each IV? Besides, you can't just multiply like that. The actual probabilities are:

At least 3IV ~> 1 - (31/32)^4 = 12% (roughly)
    At least 4IV ~> 1 - (31/32)^4 - 4(1/32)(31/32)^3 = 0.56% (roughly)
    At least 5IV ~> (1/32)^4 + 4(31/32)(1/32)^3 =

(Phone is out of battery, will finish later)

I'm not multiplying anything by anything, I just googled it and copy and pasted what I found because it was literally the ONLY thing I was able to find online. I don't even understand how you're getting YOUR calculations, so how can I possibly answer how someone else got theirs?

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I'm not multiplying anything by anything, I just googled it and copy and pasted what I found because it was literally the ONLY thing I was able to find online. I don't even understand how you're getting YOUR calculations, so how can I possibly answer how someone else got theirs?

Sorry, I thought you had calculated that yourself, since you didn't give a source ;) I can explain my calculation in more detail if you like.

Considering you are guaranteed to get a 2IV Pokemon, you only have 4 other IVs left. To get one max IV, the odds are 1/32. So for a 3IV Pokemon, you get 4 chances for another max IV, that means 4/32 = 1/8. This gives us:

• 3IVs: 4 * 1/32 = 1/8

This seems right on the surface, but it's even more complicated than this. You need to multiply by 31/32 three times too for the non-perfect IVs. Consider the (purely hypothetical) case of a Pokemon with 35 different stats. Then, using this method, the chance of finding such a Pokemon in the Friend Safari with 3 perfect IVs would be 33 x (1/32) = 33/32, which is absurd.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back