• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2014
    As much as I like Lapras, its generally not the best thing to use. Also, rain teams don't have to have so many Water types on it. Your only non-water type atm is Ferrothorn. You could throw Dragonite or Scizor onto the team; both of them function well in the rain:

-Scizor w/Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP, 40 Attack, 212 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Swords Dance, Bullet Punch, Roost, Brick Break/Superpower

or

-Scizor w/Choice Band
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Speed
    Moves: U-turn, Bullet Punch, Superpower, X-Scissor/Bug Bite

-Dragonite w/Life Orb
    Nature: Mild
    Ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 76 Attack, 252 Sp.Attack, 180 Speed
    Moves: Aqua Tail, Thunder, Hurricane, Extreme Speed/Earthquake/Roost

or

Dragonite w/Leftovers
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Defense, 4 Sp.Attack
    Moves: Hurricane, Thunder, Dragon Tail, Roost

You can also bringeth teh Thunder with Jolteon:

-Jolteon w/Choice Specs
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
    Moves: Thunder, Volt Switch, Shadow Ball, Hidden Power Ice/Signal Beam

Also, Choice Specs and Thunder Wave do not mix on Rotom. So replace that with something else or use a different set.

Liking the idea of scizor, would having three physical attackers not be overkill though?

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Liking the idea of scizor, would having three physical attackers not be overkill though?
    That playstyle is Hyper Offense. The idea is to attack with Pokemon who share similar counters; when one of them goes down to one of the counters and damages it beyond any repair, the other one can wipe the floor with the opposing team because they cannot wall you anymore.

That's the short version. In our opinion, these kind of teams work best in 6v6 Singles.

Years
    Hatching Eggs

Okayy , So I Sometimes Breed Pokemon & Yess , The Fastest Way Is By Having A Pokemon With Flame Body Ability . But If You Have Two Pokemon In Your Party With Flame Body Ability , Does The Pokemon Hatches Faster Or Is The Same Speed As Hatching It With One Pokemon With Flame Body ?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    in addition, you can't just have the pokemon in your party, it needs to be leading your party for Flame Body to actually count

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
    Actually, you need to put your Pokemon with Flame Body (i.e. Talonflame) in the last slot of your party. Then, there are some ways to obtain Eggs faster, like obtaining the Oval Charm (you'll need to have seen, not obtainted, every single Kalos Pokemon as seen in the Kalos Pokedexes) and you can use Hatching O-Powers to hatch them faster in combination with a Flame Body Pokemon ;)

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    in addition, you can't just have the pokemon in your party, it needs to be leading your party for Flame Body to actually count

Actually, you need to put your Pokemon with Flame Body (i.e. Talonflame) in the last slot of your party.

Neither of these are true. You just need the Flame Body Pokemon in your party, it doesn't matter which position it is in.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2017
    New to Pokemon-Few Questions

Hello everyone,

Pokemon X and Y are the first Pokemon games I've ever played. And actually my first real introduction to Pokemon period. I'm enjoying it immensely and have gotten very interested in all things Pokemon.

The two things that have gotten me hooked the most are collecting as many kinds of Pokemon as I can, and breeding for shinies. As soon as I heard about shinies I started breeding right away. Once I got to the daycare all other gameplay just stopped. Recently though, a friend told me I should finish the game first so that I can get better quality Pokemon and learn how to breed for IVs and things like that so I don't end up with shiny Pokemon that aren't really very good. I decided that she had a good point, but at the same time I was a bit sad because I would have liked to breed a bunch of cook pokes and then play through the game with them. So then I started wondering...

After completing the game can I breed all the Pokemon I want and then save them for the next gen? I know that you can transfer Pokemon from previous games into each new one, but will they still be shiny, and have all the same IV's and everything? I would think yes, but I don't want to waste my time so I thought I'd check. So for example, I would like to breed all the shinies I want and just leave them as level 1 and then transfer them into the next gen when it's released.

I was also wondering if after completing the game I can still run around and explore and catch whatever Pokemon I want, or do I have to do all that before a certain point?

And finally I was wondering if there was a good site to go to if I wanted to check what nature best suits each Pokemon and other things like that.

I'm sorry about the long post, thanks for reading.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Ok... What does RSVP mean?
    And extra words so I can post.

In French, its "Répondez S'il Vous Plaît", which means "please respond". Its a pretty standard thing in invitations, actually.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
    If the hardware and software doesn't change too drastically, then yes- you'll be able to transfer you 'mons over to the next gen, retaining shiny, IVs, and everything else.

The post game is pretty much exclusively just catching and breeding, really- but that can be done at any time. Some things are only available once you beat the Elite Four, though.

As for natures, movesets, abilities, etc. I tend to refer to this site.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    For an exclusive move, I'm actually surprised how no website has mvoesets for Pikachu/Raichu's Volt Tackle which I really want. The problem with Raichu I am finding is that it's so hard to get the moves you want that you REALLY need to know what you want before you start breeding because once you make a mistake you need to start all over again, and since you need the Destiny Knot for the IVs AND the Light Ball to GET Volt Tackle, you have no control over Nature so starting all over again is a HUGE deal.

I am considering keeping it a Pikachu just because light ball now apparently doubels both Att and SpAtt which makes it stronger than Raichu (however it's Defense are lower and it's speed is also slightly lower, so I'm not 100% sure on that decision yet) Anyway, the Pikachu/Raichu I am aiming for is the following:

Nature: Hasty (lowest stat, so it's going to get 1HKO no matter what so there's no point in even trying to boost it)
    Evs: 252 Speed, 252 Att, 6SpAtt
    Ability: Lightning Rod
    Moves: Grass Knot
    Nuzzle (maybe Thunderwave, but even a tiny bit of damage in addition to paralyze is okay too)
    Wish
    Volt Tackle

So paralyzing the opponent is the only chance it has to set up Wish and since it has Lightning Rod it obviously won't have Static so there's no other way Paralyze can happen. Now I chose Lighting Rod to boost it's SpAtt so it can power up Grass Knot as well as deal with any pokemon using electric type moves, however, I might possibly consider getting rid of Wish for Nasty Plot.

This however brings me to the main problem, moves in this move set hinge on having been bred onto it, or a result of a pre evolution so if I make a mistake it's going to take weeks to re do it so I want to be absolutely sure of the moveset before I commit.

I have even been to competitive sites like Smogon with no help (smogon: "Pikachu can utilize Nasty Plot to double its already gigantic Special Attack" really? It's SpAtt is only a base of 50 AND it's 5 points lower than it's Attack. I wouldn't call that "gigantic"!) No one seems to have move sets with Wish and/or Volt Tackle (even though they do have move sets with physical moves) they just have the generic special attacker moveset at best so I am really stumped with this one.

EDIT: Also, I have 4 female Pichus with Wish and Volt Tackle to anyone who wants them by the way! (I only need one of the 5 I just bred) they all have 3 IVs

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    After completing the game can I breed all the Pokemon I want and then save them for the next gen? I know that you can transfer Pokemon from previous games into each new one, but will they still be shiny, and have all the same IV's and everything? I would think yes, but I don't want to waste my time so I thought I'd check. So for example, I would like to breed all the shinies I want and just leave them as level 1 and then transfer them into the next gen when it's released.

I was also wondering if after completing the game I can still run around and explore and catch whatever Pokemon I want, or do I have to do all that before a certain point?

Yes, yes, and yes :) Pokemon is very good for backwards compatibility; there are always ways to transfer your Pokemon over to the new games, and they will retain all of their characteristics (shiny, IVs, etc).

And Pokemon is also good for post-game stuff. This time around there isn't as much to do, but yes, after completing the main storyline you can still run around catching and breeding Pokemon, and doing whatever you might have missed out on. In fact, that's probably the best time to do all of that stuff.

And finally I was wondering if there was a good site to go to if I wanted to check what nature best suits each Pokemon and other things like that.

There are 3 sites that I personally use: Bulbapedia, Serebii and Smogon.

Bulbapedia is best for finding out raw information about Pokemon, such as the moves they can learn, their stats, how they evolve, etc. It's essentially Wikipedia for Pokemon.

Serebii is best for finding out Pokemon news, and they also have a number of useful articles and applications (such as an IV calculator and an explanation of how Hidden Power works). Serebii also has Bulbapedia-style information, and can be useful if you can't find the thing you're looking for on Bulbapedia, but generally I'd say Bulbapedia is better for that.

Smogon is best for competitive battling tips. They have a page for each Pokemon explaining the best moves to teach it, the best Nature to give it, and so on. For example, here is the one for Dragonite. They're still working on updating everything for X and Y, but most of the strategies listed are still applicable.

And of course, you can always ask here! :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    First of all, you have balls to use Pikachu; we mean that in a good way. Even in-game you never know if the next hit will KO your Pikachu just because how frail it is. This sensation is surprisingly thrilling.

Do not forget, that just because a Pokemon has access to certain moves, it does not necessarily mean it can utilize it well. A good example would be non-mega Absol, who probably has the best TM movepool outside of Mew, yet cannot capitalize on that because most of them are specially based. Pikachu's problem with Volt Tackle is that while it hits like a nuke, its base 35 will ensure it will die to the next priority move. Despite the popular opinion that it has the bulk of tissue paper,a nd rightfully so, thit issue paper can actually survive a weak resisted hit.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 164-193 (77.3 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Because most priority moves are physically aligned, we do not recomend a Hasty nature. Naive is the standard nature for a frail mixed attacker.

I have even been to competitive sites like Smogon with no help (smogon: "Pikachu can utilize Nasty Plot to double its already gigantic Special Attack" really? It's SpAtt is only a base of 50 AND it's 5 points lower than it's Attack. I wouldn't call that "gigantic"!) No one seems to have move sets with Wish and/or Volt Tackle (even though they do have move sets with physical moves) they just have the generic special attacker moveset at best so I am really stumped with this one.
    'Gigantic' only applies to Pikachu when it is holding a Light Ball, which was fairly obvious when you ask us.

Still, you know that this analysis is slightly outdated since BW and the most popular Pikachu on Smogon UU right now is a mixed attacker with Volt Tackle, Thunderbolt, Brick Break and Grass Knot. The purely special set has fallen slightly out of favour because of the nerf of Hidden Power Ice. Also, you probably should toss Nuzzle which is much more useful on something that can take a direct hit like Raichu. Wish with base 35 HP is also slightly underwhelming - it barely heals more than Moo-Moo-Milk at LV 100. Think of Pikachu as if you are playing a light version of Deoxys-A without a Focus Sash: Everything you don't kill kills you.
    The main problem with a purely physical Pikachu is that most of its more useful moves are not available in this generation alone. Knock Off is now a viable, even preferable coverage option in a competitive enviroment because almost everything holds an item but is only available on non-Kalos Pikachu. Focus Punch is as powerful as ever, but forces you to forgo Lightning Rod, which is a severe cut in Pikachu's survivability. Extremespeed is even restricted to several time-limited events and Pokewalker.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    The main reason I'm going with Hasty is because if I do decide to evolve to Raichu (which isn't off the table yet) it has such terrible Def that 2HKO is being optimistic, like I said I figured anything would 1HKO it, however, if I gave it a Naive nature I'm now reducing Raichu's base 80 SpDef and now BOTH it's defenses are terrible. And incidentaly, I wouldn't say "'gigantic' only applies to Pikachu when it is holding a Light Ball" was obvious at all, because when it's holding a light ball, BOTH attacks are now gigantic, not just SpAtt. But anyway, wish wasn't really intended as a healing move (because like you said, anything I don't kill will kill me) Wish was really meant as a way to recover the damage from Volt Tackle on the same turn it was used (since it does 1/3 of the damage done to the opponent, that can be a massive amount of damage if you get a good hit on a strong opponent)

So a couple questions, why would Focus Punch force me to forgo my Lightning Rod ability? And also where is Extremespeed restricted? I don't play on websites with arbitrary bans on moves, as far as I'm concerned if a pokemon can learn a move, it's fair game so load me up on all the suggestions you got! ;-) (I like the idea of Extreme speed, I don't know why I never thought of that! I should check how to learn it) and finally, going by the moves suggested and what you said, should I maybe not even bother with a paralyzing move at all then?

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    So a couple questions, why would Focus Punch force me to forgo my Lightning Rod ability? And also where is Extremespeed restricted? I don't play on websites with arbitrary bans on moves, as far as I'm concerned if a pokemon can learn a move, it's fair game so load me up on all the suggestions you got! ;-) (I like the idea of Extreme speed, I don't know why I never thought of that! I should check how to learn it) and finally, going by the moves suggested and what you said, should I maybe not even bother with a paralyzing move at all then?

Focus Punch is only available in the 3rd and the 4th gen, when Hidden Abilities haven't existed yet. Extremespeed is not a natural move Pikachu can learn and is only available in timed (past) events, similarly to Surf and Fly. It, too, forces you to use Static.
    Some move/ability combinations are banned in order to emulate the real game. For example, Eruption Heatran only can have a Quiet nature, simply because the only Heatrans with Eruption to ever exist legally were Quiet.

And yes, team support should be left to Pikachu's partners, who are more likely to survive the assault. The exceptions are Encore and Fake Out in Doubles.

RiverStyxx

- Vaporeon Rules The Styxx! -
    Years
    This question regards obtaining Rotom from The Lost Hotel, if you know the specifics then PLEASE send me a personal message on how to obtain him!

From what I understand, I must search a shaking trash can on a tuesday(which today is)! I am saved in front of a shaking trash can and have been soft resetting for a while for it and only been getting Trubbish and Garbodor! I had also heard it had to be night to obtain it, which it is not in my game yet, but not sure if that is true or not and need clarification on that! So here are my questions:

- Must it be night to find Rotom from the trash can in The Lost Hotel?

- What "time" is night on the game? 8PM?

Thanks for any help! Please send any information via personal message so I can get the information. I might forget to check here, I need this help as soon as possible please, only have a day to do this!

Thank you!

Styxx

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back