• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
Years
  • Hi guys,breeding question
    So im new to breeding and am trying to get a competitive shiny scyther?
    In my daycare i have a shiny Italian 5iv scizor with everstone(for adamant nature) and a ditto with 2 iv (def attack) with destiny knot,so far the scythes are got only have 2 and 3 perfect IVs,why is that?

You need to keep on trying because Destiny Knot transfers almost equal IVs from pokemon. Replace the Ditto with your own Scythers and transfer the Destiny Knot to these and keep on breeding. You'll eventually get it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Hi guys,breeding question
    In my daycare i have a shiny Italian 5iv scizor with everstone(for adamant nature) and a ditto with 2 iv (def attack) with destiny knot,so far the scythes are got only have 2 and 3 perfect IVs,why is that?

BEcause the Destiny Knot chooses 5 stats from both parents at random. So if you have the Scyther with 31/31/31/x/31/31 and the Ditto with x/x/x/31/x/31 you COULD get Hp, Att, Def from the Ditto (so none at 31) and Sp Def and Speed from the Scyther (so 2 at 31) leaving SpAtt being randomly generated. The next pokemon could have Hp, Att and Def from the Scyther (so 3 at 31) Sp Att and Speed from the Ditto (so 2 at 31) and SpDef being randomly generated (so the next one being a 5IV pokemon) that's the problem with randomness. Even if you had a 6IV and a 5IV pokemon parents in daycare, you can STILL get a 4IV offspring (because 1 IV could have been the 1 none 31 from the 5IV parent and the 6th stat is always random) hopefully that was clear.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Hi guys,breeding question

Because the Destiny Knot chooses 5 IVs from the parents' combined 12, and the the final IV is random.

In your case only 7 of the 12 IVs of the parents are perfect, so you'd expect roughly 5 * 7/12 = 35/12 = 3 perfect IVs. Of course this doesn't take into account that the parents may have perfect IVs in the same stat, which would lower the expected number of perfect IVs a little. So 2-3 is about right.

I'm assuming the reason you're breeding is because you want the shiny competitive Scizor to have you as the original trainer? Because that Italian one is pretty damn perfect already.

EDIT: Double-Greninja'd, dayum.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    You need to keep on trying because Destiny Knot transfers almost equal IVs from pokemon. Replace the Ditto with your own Scythers and transfer the Destiny Knot to these and keep on breeding. You'll eventually get it.

What do you mean almost equal IVs from pokemon?

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
    Years
  • each account can only use one copy of each game to access pokebank, do you have access to the original X or Y cartridge you used? You may need to deauthorize that copy before you can use your current copy

Wrong I used both my X + Y and my brothers X + y on my poke bank and I could use those different games to put in and whithdraw pokemons maybe the problem wa that he forgot to save before exiting one of the games from poke bank

RiverStyxx

- Vaporeon Rules The Styxx! -
    Years
  • Question about my current team, I am currently in Geosenge town getting ready to go into team flares hideout for the legendary and to stop the weapon. My pokemon are all levels 56-60 and are as follows:

- Delphox (Miss Foxie) @ Amulet Coin; Gentle Nature
    Moves: Flamethrower, Mystical Fire, Psychic, Cut
    Level 58; HP:174, ATK:119, DEF:86, SPATK:156, SPDEF:151, SPD:162

- Vaporeon (Miss Aoi-toa) @ Leftovers; Gentle Nature
    Moves: Muddy Water, Surf, Auroa Beam, Toxic
    Level 58; HP:234, ATK:118, DEF:83, SPATK:147, SPDEF:133, SPD:109

- Pidgeot (Miss Aerial) @ King's Rock; Hasty Nature
    Moves: Roost, Fly, Theif, Return
    Level 58; HP:177, ATK:128, DEF:99, SPATK:101, SPDEF:107, SPD:161

- Venasaur (Miss Ivy) @ Venasaurite; Adamant Nature
    Moves: Venoshock, Synthesis, Leech Seed, Petal Blizzard
    Level 57; HP:170, ATK:138, DEF:119, SPATK:130, SPDEF:136, SPD:124

- Kangaskhan (Miss Roo) @ Black Belt; Calm Nature
    Moves: Power-Up Punch, Strength, Rock Tomb, Crunch
    Level 60; HP:217, ATK:134, DEF:111, SPATK:66, SPDEF:127, SPD:144

- Florges (Miss Lilly) @ Quick Claw; Careful Nature
    Moves: Aromatherapy, Magical Leaf, Moonblast, Wish
    Level 58; HP:169, ATK:115, DEF:95, SPATK:132, SPDEF:221, SPD:117

Please note that I had to fit HM's in somehow since this is my ingame team and this is how I chose to do so! I did not try for any specific nature on any of them nor do ANY EV training, their EVs are spread depending on which pokemon they fought and I have no idea what they were.

I intend on replacing these moves in the near future for ingame use:

Vaporeon: Replace Muddy Water with Waterfall
    Pidgeot: Replace Theif with Steel Wing
    Venasaur: Replace Venoshock and Leech Seed with Sludge Bomb and Earthquake
    Kangaskhan: Replace Rock Tomb with Rock Slide
    Delphox: Replace Mystical Fire with Shadow Ball
    Florges: Replace Mystical Leaf with Energy Ball OR Psychic

What do you guys think? Good for ingame use? I will have a different team for online use and a different team for the battle maison! How does this look so far? Am I underleveled? Will I get killed by any specific types horribly or did I do a good job of rounding out my pokemon for ingame use?

Thanks!

Styxx

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2015
    Hey, quick question about my Jolteons ability , so I finally get a jolteon with good stats but I was checking his ability and it wasn't volt absorb! It's quick feet instead is that a better ability than volt absorb ? And if so how can I use it to my advantage?

Thanks

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • Question about my current team, I am currently in Geosenge town getting ready to go into team flares hideout for the legendary and to stop the weapon. My pokemon are all levels 56-60...

What do you guys think? Good for ingame use? I will have a different team for online use and a different team for the battle maison! How does this look so far? Am I underleveled? Will I get killed by any specific types horribly or did I do a good job of rounding out my pokemon for ingame use?

Thanks!

Styxx

I beat the e4 + champion solely with a bidoof..

no matter your team, as long as you keep with or above the general level of the area/gyms you will do fine regardless of what your team is and regardless of lack of ev training.

And with the hideout being full of pokemon between level 50-60, you'll be ok.. but you can go higher if you wanted to have an advantage as you by now have the badge which allows you to use Pokemon up to level 90 as It's pretty much solely level (not nature nor ev training) that determines who's the victor in the story's gameplay or just stock up on hyper/max potions.

Hey, quick question about my Jolteons ability , so I finally get a jolteon with good stats but I was checking his ability and it wasn't volt absorb! It's quick feet instead is that a better ability than volt absorb ? And if so how can I use it to my advantage?

Thanks

Quick feet just allows Jolteon to move faster (by 50%) if it is hit by a status move.. so unless someone decides to toxic, paralyze, or burn jolteon, quick feet won't come into effect or if you want to force it, you can have jolteon hold a burn orb..

on the other hand, volt absorb heals jolteon if it's hit by electric type moves.. which is rare of course, and due to this, quick feet is probably more desired.

also allows you to invest evs in another stat instead of pure speed (such as defense/hp since jolteon is pretty weak).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2015
    I beat the e4 + champion solely with a bidoof..

no matter your team, as long as you keep with or above the general level of the area/gyms you will do fine regardless of what your team is and regardless of lack of ev training.

And with the hideout being full of pokemon between level 50-60, you'll be ok.. but you can go higher if you wanted to have an advantage as you by now have the badge which allows you to use Pokemon up to level 90 as It's pretty much solely level (not nature nor ev training) that determines who's the victor in the story's gameplay or just stock up on hyper/max potions.

Quick feet just allows Jolteon to move faster (by 50%) if it is hit by a status move.. so unless someone decides to toxic, paralyze, or burn jolteon, quick feet won't come into effect or if you want to force it, you can have jolteon hold a burn orb..

on the other hand, volt absorb heals jolteon if it's hit by electric type moves.. which is rare of course, and due to this, quick feet is probably more desired.

That's true they won't expect it, I might keep him (: thanks

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016

Volt Absorb is much more preferable. In Singles it allows you a free switch-in against a predicted Electric-type move (even healing you if Jolteon has taken damage already), and in Doubles and Triples it makes Discharge not only a powerful offensive move, but also an effective healing move. Jolteon is already incredibly fast, so Quick Feet is not really of any use at all.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2015
    Volt Absorb is much more preferable. In Singles it allows you a free switch-in against a predicted Electric-type move (even healing you if Jolteon has taken damage already), and in Doubles and Triples it makes Discharge not only a powerful offensive move, but also an effective healing move. Jolteon is already incredibly fast, so Quick Feet is not really of any use at all.

This Is also true, my jolteon is already pretty fast compared to other pokemon!
    Is there a way to change the ability? Or am I going to have to find a new one?

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    We are currently sitting on an egg frame that allows us to generate a straight flawless egg. What Pokemon would you recommend us to breed? It's random value is 31 speed, so probably not a trick room attacker or something that needs HP Fire. We already have both Charizards. Venusaur? Absol? Goodra? Victreebel? Hydreigon? Dragonite?

Shhmew

Years
  • an ability capsule. 200 bp from the battle maison
    Actually, the ability capsule does not change to and from a Pokemon's hidden ability. It only works between the pokemon's two standard abilities. (which, Jolteon only has one, so it wouldn't even work on Jolteon anyway)

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Wrong I used both my X + Y and my brothers X + y on my poke bank and I could use those different games to put in and whithdraw pokemons maybe the problem wa that he forgot to save before exiting one of the games from poke bank

way to not read my subsequent post where I already address this

XpokeX

I'm a ninja and im..... gone
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2023
    Because the Destiny Knot chooses 5 IVs from the parents' combined 12, and the the final IV is random.

In your case only 7 of the 12 IVs of the parents are perfect, so you'd expect roughly 5 * 7/12 = 35/12 = 3 perfect IVs. Of course this doesn't take into account that the parents may have perfect IVs in the same stat, which would lower the expected number of perfect IVs a little. So 2-3 is about right.

I'm assuming the reason you're breeding is because you want the shiny competitive Scizor to have you as the original trainer? Because that Italian one is pretty damn perfect already.

EDIT: Double-Greninja'd, dayum.

Ok i finally get it now thnx guys :) and berlyda im just trying to test competitive breeding out on my scizor since it's my only competitive one lol :3 and to offer good hatches for trade

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • When breeding in X/Y, what's the best way to check IVs? I know with battling another person, you can jack the level up to 50, but is there any way to get to Level 100 (like back in Gen IV(?)) to be 100% sure about IVs?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    There should be an IV jude in Kiloude city's Pokémon Center; just talk to him and he should give some brief review about your Pokémon IVs. :]

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    When breeding in X/Y, what's the best way to check IVs? I know with battling another person, you can jack the level up to 50, but is there any way to get to Level 100 (like back in Gen IV(?)) to be 100% sure about IVs?

cash in your pokemiles on the PGL website and get 100 Rare Candies, save right before you use them, check their stats, use the calculator at https://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcxy.shtml then reset and your pokemon is back to it's original level and all your rare candies are back. Sure it is longer than a battle that jacks your pokemon up to level 100 (of which I don't know if there is a way in X and Y) but in online battles that do raise your level (even to 50) you can't use more than 1 of the same kind of pokemon, so if you're breeding multiples the rare candy method is the only way I know of. And as far as I'm concerned, is the best way because then you don't have to go online and figure out what the IV judge means by this phrase or that phrase, you know immediately.

What I've been doing is hatching 5 pokemon at a time, level them all up to level 20, then run their stats through the calculator, then you at least know which stats COULD be 31. when I find a pokemon with the spread I want, I reset, level that pokemon up to level 100 and then I know for sure. Again, yes, it takes a little longer but there's no guess work involved and I know the exact numbers, not just ranges like some of the Iv Judges phrases are.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back