• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    1. I see a lot of sources saying that with powersavers, you can make any pokemon cought in X and Y shiny (not sure if you can also change the IVs). If that is really the case, how can I tell if any pokemon I've acquired through trade is real or not? For example, today I traded a Persian on the GTS for a shiny Skrelp. How do I know if it was always shiny or just hacked? This has been bothering me for a while. Thanks.
    2. Another quick question, I hear that it takes another person to check your trainer shiny value. Can someone check mine for me?

From what I've been reading (and was posted here in a thread about the power save) it can't change your IVs or EVs, so what you catch/hatch is still the same whether it goes through the process or not. Shinyness on the other hand, yes, it can change it to a shiny pokemon, but that's pretty much it. Even moves aren't something you need to worry about. If it can change moves, I have no idea, but there is an easy way to check, try to put it on Pokebank. It's very good at not letting illegal moves go through. (Even though people say they saw things like a Squirtle with Flamethrower, but provide no pics or video) If it can go into pokebank and save, it's probably legit. If it won't let the pokemon into pokebank, then it was hacked.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    1. I see a lot of sources saying that with powersavers, you can make any pokemon cought in X and Y shiny (not sure if you can also change the IVs). If that is really the case, how can I tell if any pokemon I've acquired through trade is real or not? For example, today I traded a Persian on the GTS for a shiny Skrelp. How do I know if it was always shiny or just hacked? This has been bothering me for a while. Thanks.

There's only a very limited amount the Powersaves can do, really. It can make a Pokemon shiny, but it can't change it in any other way. It's easy to get a shiny Skrelp by chain fishing btw, so I suspect yours is genuine :) There's a thread with details of exactly what the Powersaves can do here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=319889

2. Another quick question, I hear that it takes another person to check your trainer shiny value. Can someone check mine for me?

Flushed already posted the link, but there's a thread on this forum for that. You CAN check your Trainer Shiny Value yourself with a physical copy, but the only way is with a Powersaves (the irony {XD}). That's actually mostly what I've used mine for so far.

Years
  • While I was just playing through my challenge, I ran into three Dedenne in a row, which have a 1% appearance rate I think, on Route 11. Then I ran into a Nidorino, then ANOTHER Dedenne. And I had ran into another Dedenne not long before then. I don't have anything with Static. My team was Braixen, Whirlipede, Sandile, Tyrunt and Vileplume. Am I just ungodly lucky or is something going up?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • While I was just playing through my challenge, I ran into three Dedenne in a row, which have a 1% appearance rate I think, on Route 11. Then I ran into a Nidorino, then ANOTHER Dedenne. And I had ran into another Dedenne not long before then. I don't have anything with Static. My team was Braixen, Whirlipede, Sandile, Tyrunt and Vileplume. Am I just ungodly lucky or is something going up?

Those encounters were just through dumb luck.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014
    Breeding: Am I doing it wrong?

So I'm in the middle of breeding a gyarados/magikarp with the adamnt nature. One of the magikarps has the IV spread 31-31-?-31-?-31 and the other Magikarp has the spread ?-31-31-?-31-31. One of them has a destiny knot attached and the other an everstone.

By now I've breed well over 20 magikarps and still none with 5 max Iv's. What am I doing wrong? Am I expecting too much too quickly?

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • You're expecting too much too quickly. With those parents each egg has about a 2% chance (1/48~) of being 31/31/31/x/31/31.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So I'm in the middle of breeding a gyarados/magikarp with the adamnt nature. One of the magikarps has the IV spread 31-31-?-31-?-31 and the other Magikarp has the spread ?-31-31-?-31-31. One of them has a destiny knot attached and the other an everstone.

By now I've breed well over 20 magikarps and still none with 5 max Iv's. What am I doing wrong? Am I expecting too much too quickly?

Keiran is correct. The Destiny Knot picks 5 stats randomly and the 6th stat is randomly generated.

So for your spread:
    31/31/x/31/x/31
    x/31/31/x/31/31

it COULD pick 5 31 IV stats, however it could also pick the 4 x Stats, ONE 31 IV stat and randomly generate the 6th stat giving you only 1 IV. Even if you have parents with 6IV on one and 5IV on the other there's still a chance of only getting a baby with 4IVs (Because the X stat on the 5IV parent could be chosen and the 6th stat is always random anyway) so unfortunately all you can do is be Patient. However, keep checking every offspring and change one of your 4IV parents with a 5IV parent (ANY 5IV will do, just as long as it's more than what you have already)

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014
    Finally got my 5iv pokemon but in the wrong order, gonna change one parent with the one with 5ivs.

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • Like Kerian said, your expecting too much, it can take as much as 100 eggs to get a 5IV then switch it out for one of the 4IV. Just be patient, breeding can take a longggg time but it's totally worth it when you finally get the perfect spread and watch your hard work pay in battle!! :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014
    The toturials on youtube made it seem much easier. lol

Anyways thanks for the quick responses. I was really starting to think I did something wrong.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2014
    I don't like taking my chances so this is how I would approach it.

31-31-?-31-?-31 = Parent A
    ?-31-31-?-31-31 = Parent B

Upgrade Parent A into a 4 perfect IV parent (ignoring Special Attack) with Adamant making sure it has 31 in HP (1/12 chance of that happening currently (I think)).

Once that's done, and both parents are Adamant. Give the new Parent A a Destiny Knot and Parent B the Power Item for the stat Parent A is missing.

You'll then have a 1/5 chance of getting a 5 perfect IV parent without Adamant.

Simply replace one of the parents with the perfect Magikarp, giving it the Destiny Knot and giving the remaining Adamant parent the Everstone. That setup will give you a 1/12 chance of getting you a 5 IV perfect Adamant egg.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014

Upgrade Parent A into a 4 perfect IV parent (ignoring Special Attack) with Adamant making sure it has 31 in HP (1/12 chance of that happening currently).

Once that's done, and both parents are Adamant. Give the new Parent A a Destiny Knot and Parent B the Power Item for the stat Parent A is missing.

Simply replace one of the parents with the perfect Magikarp, giving it the Destiny Knot and giving the remaining Adamant parent the Everstone. That setup will give you a 1/12 chance of getting you a 5 IV perfect Adamant egg.

Never thought of doing it that way, though that would require power items something not available to me right now, nonetheless I will try using your method once I've acquired them.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017

Upgrade Parent A into a 4 perfect IV parent (ignoring Special Attack) with Adamant making sure it has 31 in HP (1/12 chance of that happening currently (I think)).

I don't understand your method at all, can you explain it greater detail please?
    First there's not 1/2 chance of that happening, there's a 1/3 chance of that happening (It could get the Hp Iv from mother, father or be randomly generated) if you're only having one parent have 4 IVs, why focus on HP? wouldn't any 4 IVs be fine as long as none of them are SpAtt? Because you're eventually going to be having all 5 IVs at 31 anyway.
    Second, if he had a perfect magikarp to begin with, why would he be breeding more? And where is he supposed to get a perfect magikarp in the first place if he's having so much trouble breeding a 5IV one?
    Third, the power item only guarantees the one stat to be passed down, the other four the Destiny Knot chooses can still be random as well as the 6th stat will be random. meaning that even WITH 4IV and 6IV parents, the offspring could still be born with 3IVs (the two missing stats from the 4IV parents could be chosen, as well as the 6th stat being randomly generated
    And I think your ratios sound off, where are you getting them? I was breeding a 5IV Adamant Kangaskhan with 1 6IV parent and it STILL took me just over 30 eggs to get 31/31/31/x/31/31

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    I am confusing about egg move. how can i tell which move will pass on???
    Let say I have male Pokemon move a b c d and breeding with female from the same egg group.. how can i tell which move will pass on? can i choose?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back