• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Don't trust the GTS easily, but it'd be to your benefit to be more aware. For example, level 30 Ditto with Pentagon advertised as "6IV gen" are 99.999891718% ((31^4-1)/(31^4)) of the time fake. i.e. they're lying.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    Well, I remember when I was trading for a Charmander if I recall correctly, and even though it says this Charmander have Pokérus, when I trade it, turns out it doesn't have one. But I'm relieved because I was looking for it because of the sake of completing my Pokédex, and not because for Pokérus, however that would be a big problem if people was hunting for perfect IVs. I did get a Froakie which says that it has Protean ability and it really have it, though. So if someone says it's Pokérus or perfect 5-6IVs, don't trust them easily.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I would say 75%-80% of the trades I made have been legitimate. That being said, I don't trade for IVs or Pokerus, or natures, I trade simply for the pokemon itself and always get what I am looking for. The other pokemon that have been offered and claimed to be X-IVs or hidden ability have mostly always come through as advertised, but since it wasn't what I was looking for, it was really a happy accident. Once I got offered a Hidden Ability Chimchar with egg moves and when I got it it had no Hidden Ability but had 4 egg moves. I also traded for a Ditto that claimed to have 5 IVs but only had 3.

Basically if a pokemon is at level 1 it could be pretty likely that it has the IVs it claims because a lot of people are breeding for perfect IVs and just chucking the ones with IVs they don't want, so it's very realistic they could be exactly as advertised. If it's at a level that it can normally be found at in the wild, I would be more sceptical because they could simply be pokemon randomly caught and traded as such.

Now as for the unrealistic trades, I'm actually getting annoyed with more and more people claiming something is unreasonable, because who knows who's looking for what and what they have? I traded a shiny Scatterbug for a Zapdos (and then swap traded between Zapdos and Articuno until I got a Sassy Articuno with 3 IVs) then I traded a shiny butterfree for a Zapdos (which I swap traded between Zapdos and Xerneas) So who knows what you can get until you try? Obviously a shiny scatterbug is WAY more valuable than a Zigzagoon but lots of people have multiple Legendaries, or sometimes got one as a giveaway they don't actually even want and when they see something online they do really want, why wouldn't they trade it for something they do? (again, I understand Shinies are different than the common pokemon found on the first or second route, HOWEVER, sometimes people get good stuff so what's wrong with trying? I wouldn't have my Articuno if I didn't try. And honestly, who would trade a Zapdos for a Scatterbug? But I'm super grateful to whoever gave me that first zapdos for doing so because I absolutely love my Articuno! ;-)

Edit: Further onto this point, I just put my Shiny Delphox on the GTS and half an hour later I got a GIRATINA!! So yeah, I didn't want the Delphox but I most certainly wanted THIS! :-D

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    This is why you never trade away anything you might miss on the GTS.

Someone's asking for a Xerneas in exchange for something you really want (let's say its advertised as a 5IV Gooey Goomy)? Don't trade it unless you really don't care for your Xerneas.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    This is why you never trade away anything you might miss on the GTS.

Someone's asking for a Xerneas in exchange for something you really want (let's say its advertised as a 5IV Gooey Goomy)? Don't trade it unless you really don't care for your Xerneas.

Yes, this exactly. If you don't want what they're asking for, take the risk (especially if you can breed it) but if it's something you'll miss, don't trade at all!

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2016
    I have a quick question.
    If i had a HA snivy(Contrary) would that ablity affect coil to were that would decress insed of rase the stats or douse it only effects moves that lower start from other pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I have a quick question.
    If i had a HA snivy(Contrary) would that ablity affect coil to were that would decress insed of rase the stats or douse it only effects moves that lower start from other pokemon?

If I'm not mistaken, Contrary reverses all stat-boosting effects. When Coil is used, it's supposed to raise your Defense, Attack, and accuracy. If you have Contrary though, these stats are going to be decreased instead. d:

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    If I'm not mistaken, Contrary reverses all stat-boosting effects. When Coil is used, it's supposed to raise your Defense, Attack, and accuracy. If you have Contrary though, these stats are going to be decreased instead. d:

Correct, any stat applied to the user (whether self inflicted or used by an opponent) are reversed, so Coil would lower those three stats.

Edit: To further that, this could still be used to your benefit, as some pokemon like Malamar can learn Super Power and instead of lowering Attack and Defence, it actually raised them, so in those instances you WANT the moves that lower stats.

So if you do have a Contrary Snivy, would you be willing to breed one for me for trade? I can give you an Ironfist Chimchar with Thunder and Fire punches.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    does the pokeradar work any different in this gen?

kind of annoying that there are so few grassy areas that are 5x5.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Any opinion on the best Baton Passing Smeargle?

I already have one with a Moody nature, so the mvoes I put on were going to be:
    King's Shield/Spiky Shield (not sure which as one)
    Substitute
    Recover
    Baton Pass

I was considering multiple shield moves and just let Moody do it's job but that decreases the chance of them working in a row. I also thought os Shell Smash instead of Recover, but that might be a bad idea too, so any ideas? Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Any opinion on the best Baton Passing Smeargle?

I already have one with a Moody nature, so the mvoes I put on were going to be:
    King's Shield/Spiky Shield (not sure which as one)
    Substitute
    Recover
    Baton Pass

I was considering multiple shield moves and just let Moody do it's job but that decreases the chance of them working in a row. I also thought os Shell Smash instead of Recover, but that might be a bad idea too, so any ideas? Thanks!

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I might've asked this question before, but does the shiny charm affect breeding in X/Y?

Shiny Charm effects everything.

Wild Encounter, Radar, Chain Fishing, Breeding, and Matsuda Method.

The exact amount is as of yet unknown, but they dropped to like 1 in 2000 and 1 in 1000 area range before (Normal and then Matsuda Method)

Since both Chain Fishing and Radar are new to the Charm, I'm assuming it still makes them easier as well lowering the original value needed to a much more reasonable level.

Rabski_Melt

There can only be one.
    Years
    sooooo, how does the battle rating system work in pokemon? Is it like elo in LOL or what? I cant for the life of me find a guide.

and how do you get the shiny charm in xy?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    sooooo, how does the battle rating system work in pokemon? Is it like elo in LOL or what? I cant for the life of me find a guide.

and how do you get the shiny charm in xy?

Dunno about the first question. All official battle info is on Pokemon Global Link website.

As for Shiny Charm, you have to collect all 719 Pokemon in order to get it. So until everyone gets the Bank you kinda can't unless you get extremely lucky and know someone that managed and they trade you the ribbon blocked legendaries.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So I traded a shiny Delphox for a Giratina tonight and then been swap trading with other Giratinas looking for Ideally a neutral nature but really just one with an English name. Anyway, after a while I eventually got one at level 40 in a (What I presume) Dream World ball, brave nature and it's hidden ability "Telepathy" and it's IVs are
    HP: 31
    Att: 31
    Def: 26
    SpA: 16
    SpD: 28
    Speed: 20

So my questions are:

1) Should I keep it or keep trading hoping to find something better? (I have traded 7 or 8 Giratina's with teh same Japanese characters so I'm presuming it's not a nickname but the pokemon name in Japanese, so its stupid that that doesn't get translated during trade. The big reason I was trading was hoping to get an English one, but I digress) I may get worse, I REALLY doubt I would get teh hidden ability, and it's IVs aren't terrible (as long as I don't use special attacks and I don't rely on speed. :-S )but the biggest sticking point is that irritating Japanese charactered name. Even if it was named something stupid like "Pinkberry" at least I could understand it. But anyway, Should I just be happy with what I got or should I keep going?

2) IF I did keep it, is the hidden ability on both formes of it? Or is it just on the normal form and as soon as I go to Origin Forme it's ability becomes levitate? I have been to many sites and they ALL list Altered Forme as having Pressure, Origin Forme as having Levitate and then communally list Hidden Ability as Telepathy (so it's simply not clear to me, because they list each form as having their own ability, so I just want to know for sure so I can decide) thank you!

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So I traded a shiny Delphox for a Giratina tonight and then been swap trading with other Giratinas looking for Ideally a neutral nature but really just one with an English name. Anyway, after a while I eventually got one at level 40 in a (What I presume) Dream World ball, brave nature and it's hidden ability "Telepathy" and it's IVs are

So my questions are:

1) Should I keep it or keep trading hoping to find something better? (I have traded 7 or 8 Giratina's with teh same Japanese characters so I'm presuming it's not a nickname but the pokemon name in Japanese, so its stupid that that doesn't get translated during trade. The big reason I was trading was hoping to get an English one, but I digress) I may get worse, I REALLY doubt I would get teh hidden ability, and it's IVs aren't terrible (as long as I don't use special attacks and I don't rely on speed. :-S )but the biggest sticking point is that irritating Japanese charactered name. Even if it was named something stupid like "Pinkberry" at least I could understand it. But anyway, Should I just be happy with what I got or should I keep going?

2) IF I did keep it, is the hidden ability on both formes of it? Or is it just on the normal form and as soon as I go to Origin Forme it's ability becomes levitate? I have been to many sites and they ALL list Altered Forme as having Pressure, Origin Forme as having Levitate and then communally list Hidden Ability as Telepathy (so it's simply not clear to me, because they list each form as having their own ability, so I just want to know for sure so I can decide) thank you!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years

So my questions are:

Trade the Giratina. Telepathy is worthless in singles. Giratina's regular abilities are better (Pressure for Altered, Levitate for Origin).

Perico

Ripper
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2022
    Hey guys! I have one question, hope you may help!
    As far as I know, Pokémon can have a max of 510 EVs, 255 EVs per stat. I was EV training my Gible, and my plan was to do 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP. The thing is, I've been beating hordes and I might have done something wrong because now Attack and Speed EVs seem to be full (that'd be 255 EVs in each one, right?). Why I think so? I tried to do supertraining in Attack and it said it couldn't grow more. Same with Speed. However, I've been able to do level 1 HP supertraining, which gives 4 HP EVs! My question is, if Attack and Speed EVs are full, which would mean 255+255=510 EVs, then how is it possible it can still earn more EVs? (plus it looks like I could do one more level 1 supertraining since the right bar isn't full yet).

Thank you!

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Hey guys! I have one question, hope you may help!
    As far as I know, Pokémon can have a max of 510 EVs, 255 EVs per stat. I was EV training my Gible, and my plan was to do 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP. The thing is, I've been beating hordes and I might have done something wrong because now Attack and Speed EVs seem to be full (that'd be 255 EVs in each one, right?). Why I think so? I tried to do supertraining in Attack and it said it couldn't grow more. Same with Speed. However, I've been able to do level 1 HP supertraining, which gives 4 HP EVs! My question is, if Attack and Speed EVs are full, which would mean 255+255=510 EVs, then how is it possible it can still earn more EVs? (plus it looks like I could do another more level 1 supertraining since the right bar isn't full yet).

Thank you!

Super Training says a stat is maxed out when it reaches 252 EVs, not 255. It's pretty useful, because it means you don't have to worry about keeping track of how many EVs you have in that stat (unless you're not planning on maxing it out).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back