• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

X/Y Weather Nerf

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    So what do people think about weather abilities being nerfed to 5 turns only? Does this hurt Ninetales or Politoed who were NU before Game Freak decided to do something about it. Will this result in a better metagame?

Should the Drizzle + Swift Swim ban be lifted?

Years
    I don't think it's so bad, unless your team depends on it. If that is the case, It may be strategic to begin with Rain Dance and when that clears, run a pkmn with drizzle. It is a limiting change, but, not a major obstacle.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I don't think it's so bad, unless your team depends on it. If that is the case, It may be strategic to begin with Rain Dance and when that clears, run a pkmn with drizzle. It is a limiting change, but, not a major obstacle.

It is quite an obstacle actually because the Pokemon who relies on infinite Rain to actually be better are now basically limited to 5 turns. Granted, there's already a lot one can do in five turns. If heavy weather users want to work around the number of turns that weather is active, they are forced to either let the Pokemon hold the corresponding weather-lengthening item (like Damp Rock) or switch out every five turns. Personally, the former is the most logical compromise because the opponent can take advantage of the free turn you give him/her. But then again, having no decent hold item can make quite an impact.

Basically, weather users are in a pretty deep steep at the moment.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    It's a pretty big nerf to weather teams. Some strategies get crippled like Hail Stall and some pokemon lose some efficiency like Excadrill. I'm not a fan of weather teams but if I was gonna run a team I would choose a Defensive set for Politoed and Ninetails with Damp Rock and Heat Rock over anything else.

Years
    It is quite an obstacle actually because the Pokemon who relies on infinite Rain to actually be better are now basically limited to 5 turns. Granted, there's already a lot one can do in five turns. If heavy weather users want to work around the number of turns that weather is active, they are forced to either let the Pokemon hold the corresponding weather-lengthening item (like Damp Rock) or switch out every five turns. Personally, the former is the most logical compromise because the opponent can take advantage of the free turn you give him/her. But then again, having no decent hold item can make quite an impact.

Basically, weather users are in a pretty deep steep at the moment.

I basically agree with Zeffy, he hit the nail well good here.

The weather nerf could basically mean weather teams may have to lead with a Pokemon that uses the move to induce the weather and/or hold the rock that extends the duration of the weather condition (Smooth/Icy/Heat/Damp Rock) as well as carry the weather-inducing ability Pokemon (Hippowdown/Tyranitar, Abomasnow, Drought Ninetales or Drizzle Politoed) as a backup weather inducer once the weather clears out.

It's definitely one of the biggest impacts on competitive play this generation, and hopefully opens up the door to more teams that are less weather-based in the standard OU metagame.

Venks

Water Pokémon Master
    Years
    I was scared when I heard about weather nerfs cus I always play Rain Dance teams. But I have never used a Poke'mon with drizzle. So it does't really effect me.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
    Doesn't really hurt the doubles metagame too much as far as I can tell. Matches don't often last past like, 8 turns. Not unusual to see a match end before the 5th.

Back