• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You broke my heart, you big meanie! *heavy sobbing*

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    lol the cheesy title

So, who was your first heartbreak? Why did you break up with that person? Was it hard for you to get over the break up?

Mine was Evan. He was a PC member here at one time, about nine or ten years ago. It took me some time to get over the break up. I felt that he was my first real relationship I have ever had. It was very hard for me to get over it, and I ended up dating a lot of other guys, thinking it would get rid of the pain I was in... boy, did that backfire. :/

What about you?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Ok, this wasn't exactly a breakup, especially since it was first grade. But I feel like this was as close a relationship you can really have in first grade, and it was the first girl I ever liked (and we were friends, so she liked me back at least to some degree haha), so that counts for something. But yeah, they built a new school so I had to transfer since it was closer to my home. We didn't see each other for like six years, and when we did finally reunite, the middle/high school social hierarchy (myself on the lower rungs, obviously haha) did its thing and we never really interacted much, despite being in a ton of the same classes.

King Kū

Outer-space is the limit
    Years
    My first?

I've never been particularly wounded by a breakup. People often list it as a bad quality of mine, that I have no problem detaching from people I've otherwise been close to for a long time. But, I think it is a good one. It means that when I'm upset I'll recognize how much they meant to me and vice-versa.

My last breakup was admittedly pretty shallow. We hadn't gone out long and I don't know how to put it delicately but I was too... big for her. She didn't want to have sex regularly as a result and that is something I generally want. I explained my reasoning, she wasn't too upset considering that was pretty much how the relationship was founded; carnal instinct. Just attraction at a party.

The time before that was because my ex-girlfriend got way too clingy when we were going out. I mean, she would ask for my Facebook password; I'd begrudgingly give it to her. She'd delete all the girls she thought were 'too pretty' off my Facebook and so I had to explain to them. And it was just a lot of really obsessive stuff like that. I'm just unable to take that kind of attention. Relationships are based on mutual respect and attraction, not one-ended infatuation.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    First and only was my ex. We had a rough couple of years. In the beginning, he was a very kind, proud, intelligent and morally-sound young man. It appeared he had his life on track, wanting to go to school to acquire a degree in order to become an IT or a game developer at the Montreal Ubisoft.

Three years or so into the relationship, he had a complete change in face. There were a few signs I had ignored: breaking my things, threatening me, telling me who I can and cannot talk to (I couldn't have men on Facebook, and I wasn't allowed to talk to my sister (I did this anyway)). He would go onto my FB account and erase any guys I had on there, and criticize me if I re-added them. In some instances, he would belittle me and call me a wh*re or something similar for even speaking to other men, regardless sexual orientation.

I forgave the emotional, spiritual and physical abuse at the time, and while living in Ontario I didn't utter a word to anyone about it until one day, a confrontation resulted in a black eye, a fat lip and various other bruises. He was upset that I had adopted a three-year-old calico instead of an eight-week-old kitten (which the SPCA wouldn't release as it was sick).

A year later, I had forgiven even that, and after seeing him in school and achieving good grades (from what he told me anyway), I moved back to Quebec with him and worked full-time at a grocery store. I ended up supporting him (again), and he quit school and stole money out of my bank account, manipulated me for money for alcohol and weed and a few months later, again began to emotionally and physically abuse me. He would throw me against the wall and spit in my face, pin me to the floor and scream at me, stab the walls with knives, punch my arms and stomach, grab me by the throat to keep my still. The reasons were again, various: in some cases, he was convinced I was "entering his mind" and showing him images of rape and battery; in others, he believed I was cheating on him with no evidence. He even went as far as to threaten a co-worker while I was working and causing a scene, which ultimately led to his banning on store property.

And that's really just a summary of things that happened at the time; there was much, much more, and I don't know why I put up with it. I was heartbroken for a long time even in the relationship, and I tried to the last day to help him and to seek medical assistance for his psychopathic rage and outbursts. From what I could tell, he suffered from a sub-type of schizophrenia (he even admitted to being medicated at one point, but for what he wouldn't tell me). I'll tell you, it was very unsettling to see him tilt his head at me and cackle like a witch in some deranged movie, then subsequently tell me he created everything and everyone "will pay" for the injustice done to him.

Seeing how he refused to help himself was the most heartbreaking. The final straw was actually enacted upon by my work after he attempted to strangle me (caught on camera) in the backroom, destroy corporate property, assault other employees and customers... only two days or so after he threatened me with a knife in the Tim Horton's parking lot next door (my manager and supervisors were aware of this, and we had wanted to turn him in prior, but our "plan" backfired). He was taken away and my dad came and brought me home. The following day, the police contacted me about my ex' having climbed four stories and broken into the apartment building - exactly what my father thought he might do. It was awful. Good thing I wasn't there :(

So it might not be a typical heartbreak. I was sad the relationship ended after years of effort, but it really was for the best, and I don't think anyone could argue with me on that. The only heartbreak I experienced was seeing someone deteriorate so badly and not being able to do anything to stop it.

King Kū

Outer-space is the limit
    Years
    First and only was my ex. We had a rough couple of years. In the beginning, he was a very kind, proud, intelligent and morally-sound young man. It appeared he had his life on track, wanting to go to school to acquire a degree in order to become an IT or a game developer at the Montreal Ubisoft.

Three years or so into the relationship, he had a complete change in face. There were a few signs I had ignored: breaking my things, threatening me, telling me who I can and cannot talk to (I couldn't have men on Facebook, and I wasn't allowed to talk to my sister (I did this anyway)). He would go onto my FB account and erase any guys I had on there, and criticize me if I re-added them. In some instances, he would belittle me and call me a wh*re or something similar for even speaking to other men, regardless sexual orientation.

I forgave the emotional, spiritual and physical abuse at the time, and while living in Ontario I didn't utter a word to anyone about it until one day, a confrontation resulted in a black eye, a fat lip and various other bruises. He was upset that I had adopted a three-year-old calico instead of an eight-week-old kitten (which the SPCA wouldn't release as it was sick).

A year later, I had forgiven even that, and after seeing him in school and achieving good grades (from what he told me anyway), I moved back to Quebec with him and worked full-time at a grocery store. I ended up supporting him (again), and he quit school and stole money out of my bank account, manipulated me for money for alcohol and weed and a few months later, again began to emotionally and physically abuse me. He would throw me against the wall and spit in my face, pin me to the floor and scream at me, stab the walls with knives, punch my arms and stomach, grab me by the throat to keep my still. The reasons were again, various: in some cases, he was convinced I was "entering his mind" and showing him images of rape and battery; in others, he believed I was cheating on him with no evidence. He even went as far as to threaten a co-worker while I was working and causing a scene, which ultimately led to his banning on store property.

And that's really just a summary of things that happened at the time; there was much, much more, and I don't know why I put up with it. I was heartbroken for a long time even in the relationship, and I tried to the last day to help him and to seek medical assistance for his psychopathic rage and outbursts. From what I could tell, he suffered from a sub-type of schizophrenia (he even admitted to being medicated at one point, but for what he wouldn't tell me). I'll tell you, it was very unsettling to see him tilt his head at me and cackle like a witch in some deranged movie, then subsequently tell me he created everything and everyone "will pay" for the injustice done to him.

Seeing how he refused to help himself was the most heartbreaking. The final straw was actually enacted upon by my work after he attempted to strangle me (caught on camera) in the backroom, destroy corporate property, assault other employees and customers... only two days or so after he threatened me with a knife in the Tim Horton's parking lot next door (my manager and supervisors were aware of this, and we had wanted to turn him in prior, but our "plan" backfired). He was taken away and my dad came and brought me home. The following day, the police contacted me about my ex' having climbed four stories and broken into the apartment building - exactly what my father thought he might do. It was awful. Good thing I wasn't there :(

So it might not be a typical heartbreak. I was sad the relationship ended after years of effort, but it really was for the best, and I don't think anyone could argue with me on that. The only heartbreak I experienced was seeing someone deteriorate so badly and not being able to do anything to stop it.
    First time I have felt genuine sympathy towards anyone on the internet. Then again, first time I bothered to read a long paragraph regarding someone I don't know.

I'm sorry to hear that but by the sounds of it, it really was for the best. You probably should have cut the cord much sooner. It's kind of like in the Walking Dead - just because they were once a person it doesn't mean you should try to be friends with them (lol that girl) or not bludgeon them. Same applies to your ex in my opinion; just because he was once nice you shouldn't have held on. Schizophrenia is extremely tricky to deal with; one of my cousins had it. Even the sub-forms can ruin another person's life, so in your own best interest you needed to give him hard love.

It is all good and well telling you what you 'should have' done. That being said I think just a tip for the future would be to exit a relationship the moment it gets abusive. If you read above I have said; my ex-girlfriend did a similar thing to your ex-boyfriend. She deleted female contacts off my Facebook. The moment she did that was the moment I broke up with her. It demonstrated a lack of respect and trust in me.

Years
    My first and only ex-boyfriend has been my only break up. We dated for 3 years, but after 2 years, I think we both realized that the mutual connection and feelings we had for each other at the beginning was starting to change. So we dragged the relationship on for the last year, and eventually broke up a couple months after our high school graduation; it was on mutual terms, thankfully, but nonetheless it was still hard to get over because he was my first in a lot of aspects. It was towards the end of the summer where in a couple weeks I had to pull myself together for university. Cried for 2-3 days straight, and just spent 2 weeks trying to get through it.

Back