• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen You can get a Hoenn and Kanto starter

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • In HG/SS, you can get a Kanto starter and Hoenn starter after you beat Red. Professor Oak will give you a Kanto starter, and Steven Stone will give you a Hoenn Starter in the Silph Co. Building. With Oak, it's pretty straightforward, you just select one on his table. For Steven, though, he asks you to pick a colored stone. There's nothing special you need to do in order to obtain these starters. All you need to have done is beaten Red.

Which Kanto and Hoenn starter did you pick in HG/SS?

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I'm not sure if I ever picked any of the Hoenn starters, but I SR'd a Shiny Squirtle in HeartGold a couple years ago! She's now a Wartortle (one of my absolute favorite Pokémon) and a member of my main team in Ultra Sun. :D

If I have picked one of the Hoenn starters in HGSS and just forgot over the years, it was probably Treecko (the green stone) because emeralds are my favorite gemstone.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I always pick Charmander for the Kanto starter, and that was also my pick in Heart Gold. For the Hoenn starter, it was Treecko.
    One might guess I like reptiles, yes I do. :D

Quiji

Shining
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    I managed to get the extra Starters in both HeartGold and SoulSilver, although I can't remember what I chose in the former game since I haven't played it in years. In SoulSilver I chose Zenigame/Squirtle and Achamo/Torchic, though.

Back