• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen You can get a Johto Starter

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • In Pokemon Emerald only, if you complete the Hoenn Pokedex, you can get yourself a Hoenn Starter from Professor Birch. The only other way to get a Hoenn Starter in these games is through the XD or Colosseum games. Were you ever able to obtain a Hoenn starter in Emerald?

Ruellia

Roo-EL-yuh
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 24, 2019
    I never managed it, no. I think there were some event Pokémon I couldn't get. I had Colosseum a kid but never played very far as I found the whole Shadow Pokémon mechanic really tedious and dumb. Shame, I'd quite enjoy levelling Cyndaquil (my favourite Gen 2 starter) in Hoenn.

Years
  • I managed to get a johto starter in Emerald, although I believe some of the pokemon that helped complete my pokedex were illegitimately obtained, I use to visit the gamer center (this was a local gamestore) in my local mall as a kid, and lots of kids would play Pokemon there, and now that i'm a lot older and know what gameshark and codebreaker is, I reckon a lot of my pokemon had to have been hacked.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    I didn't have any friends who played Pokémon, let alone Emerald, so I never managed to complete the dex. Wasn't until HGSS that I managed to get a Johto starter tbh :/

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • Not through Emerald, as I was always missing the Pokémon that had to be traded in, but I got the Johto starters in gen 3 by playing Colosseum.

Quiji

Shining
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    I was able to get a Gen II Starter from the professor in Emerald a few years ago. I chose Hinoarashi/Cyndaquil, because I like Fire-type Pokemon. Frankly though, getting the Starter was a lot of hard work.

Back