• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"You have no gym badges? You must be a total noob!"

Years
    Immunity abilities keep fooling me, but I don't consider it noob moments, there's just too many of them to memorize them all.
    Other than that and the completely natural blunders of the first few playthroughs... When I encounter Magnemites/Magnetons in RBY, I will think of them as the overpowered 13-resistance-in-game-game-breakers that they become later on. So I will either be very afraid or send out something with a Fire move and be astonished when I see no "super-effective" message (I do realize Fighting moves are the same in that regard, but come on, who uses Fighting moves in RBY?) or send out something with a Ground move and be sure to get an OHKO by exploiting the 4x weakness.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    First pokemon I saw in crystal was a shiny pigey. I saw the sparkles, and thought "That's cool! I love that new effect they added for wild pokemon!" I then promptly killed it. It was the only legit shiny I've ever found aside from stuff like red garydos of course.

Years
    FInding the stand alone articuno in Seafoam islands on the first ever playthrough of Pokemon Blue and thinking that it must be what the master ball was for

Later discovering Moltres and thinking hey wait..
    Managing to catch it with an ultra ball and being confused and presuming the master ball was only to save time for one pokemon
    Then discovering Mewtwo and spending 3 days non stop trying to weaken it and catch it o_O

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    In my Diamond, I tried to avoid using Psychic type moves on ghost types because I thought they were immune to Psychic type attacks.

Starrodkirby86

Das Kirby
    Years
    Happens all the time. Sometimes I bring out a Pokemon that's totally disadvantageous to the other type, simply because I keep forgetting about the conundrums of type advantages and disadvantages.

...Geez, I should probably go back to Stration and learn more from the trio. :V

Years
    Back when I had Pokemon Yellow I caught a Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest and only used it in battles then got to the Eilte Four and could not beat Gary cause my Pidgeotto had evolved into a Pidgeot and was level 50+ and the rest of my Pokemon including Pikachu was under level 20. What a total N00b.

Buggyo

I read the news today, oh boy.
    Years
    When I first found an alternate stripe Basculin in Black I thought it was shiny.

God, I should know this stuff by now.

NamelessGuy

<Insert Witty Title Here>
    Years
    Through playing Pokemon, do you have any noob moments?

On my very first playthrough of Gold (or any Pokemon game, for that matter), I only trained my starter.

I walked into the Elite Four room with a level 78 Typhlosion and a level 15 Pidgey.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    When I first bought Pokemon Yellow..(Loooong time ago) and after I beat the E4 and champ (maybe not the champ..cant remember *shrugs*) And I wanted to do it all over again..And I thought you could have two save files..So I made a new game and saved it T_T.

Years
    In white I though the blue frillishes were shinies. I had only encountered the pink female ones so when I saw it I freaked out and went berserk. After 3 more appeared I figured out it was just the male ones that are blue and that they're not shiny

Lmao aww that must have been so annoying when you discovered the truth lol!

For me I usually end up doing stupid things like trying to Thunderbolt Ground pokémon lol, or more commonly hitting the "A" button too rapidly and then doing something ridiculous like accidentally picking "Splash" instead of an attacking move lol.

CheshireNeko

Rocket Grunt
    Years
    Believe it or not, I've met quite some shiny Pokemon and killed or ran from them. I was always aware that shiny Pokemon are rare and valuable, but I never understood what made them special besides their fancy sprite.

My absolute worst noob moment was when I entered Agatha's Elite Four room in Yellow and realised I only had fighting-type Pokemon on me.

ceremony

rah rah
    Years
    Believe it or not, I've met quite some shiny Pokemon and killed or ran from them. I was always aware that shiny Pokemon are rare and valuable, but I never understood what made them special besides their fancy sprite.

My absolute worst noob moment was when I entered Agatha's Elite Four room in Yellow and realised I only had fighting-type Pokemon on me.

The last time I ran into a shiny was back during the Sapphire days, when I caught the Psyduck. And the only time before that was a shiny unknown in Gold..

Spanner226

Millefiore Mechanic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2011
    I got destroyed by Fantina's mismagius........More than five times.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
    I have a bad one. I would face Gyrados a lot in Diamond. After a couple turns it would say"Gyrados became confused due to fatigue!" and I thought that since Gyrados was so powerful it had an ability that made it get confused. Much later I found out that that was due to all of them using thrash. *slaps face*

NatureKeeper

Shuppet --Lv30--> Bannete

I felt like a TOTAL NOOB.

Oh, and I was avoiding Psychic moves on Ghosts since I thought they were immune. Fail.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    Up until a few days ago, I honestly thought that Ice pokemon had only one weakness: Fire.

I walked into the seventh gym in Black and the Fresh Water guy told me I could use Fighting, Rock or Steel to defeat the gym's ice pokemon. I was like WHAT? I COULD HAVE BEEN USING THESE TYPES AGAINST ICE POKEMON THIS WHOLE TIME? @__@

Total noob fail moment.

Years
    I always think Scolipede is pure poison and not bug. I can't get it through my skull. Every time I fight it, I forget it's bug. :(

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    I kept using Earthquake on a Pokemon with an Air Balloon. I thought the other person was cheating, until I used Surf, and it said
    "Air Balloon Popped!"

Oharo

&#803;
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2011
    I played my first Pokemon game without a hitch at all, since I played Blue version first. My first problem was actually diving in Gen 3. There was a part where you had to dive in order to continue the story. I couldn't find the area and got lost for a really long time in the ocean.

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    On my 3. playthrough of silver, i forgot to go back to prof. elm, and just wandered back and forth, training my starter, hoping the idiots would move soon -_-

I've never killed a shiny, cuz when i met my first shiny, i freaked out like: "OMG! An ingame glitter pokemon! (Had lots of TCG cards) I want it, i want it, i want it :D"

Last edited:
    Back