• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"You sure are a tough one, Brawly"

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    Gym leaders. They're meant to be the toughest trainers of the tough, well for you at that time anyway. They all have their perks which make them incredibly tough to fight, from Whitney's Miltank in the 2nd generation, to Brawly and his Makuhita in Hoenn. Every region has their gym leader which is tougher than the rest of them, even if you are overleveled.

Which gym leader/elite four member do you find tougher to beat than the others?

As I've made the title, Brawly tends to be quite the toughie to beat in the game. You could be quite overleveled by about 3-4 levels, but he'll still beat you to a pulp. Your best chance of even having a remote chance of beating him is either by focusing on his resistances, such as Bug types, or a Beautifly to beat him. Surprisingly, I had a tough against Bugsy in HG/SS with a U-Turn Scyther being the big toughie this time around. :(

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I imagine Clair and her damned Kingdra is going to feature veeeeeery heavily here. She was easily my most feared Gym Leader out of all of the ones I've faced. Actually, a fair number of the Gold/Silver/Crystal leaders were fairly tough though: Whitney and the damned Miltank, Jasmine and Steelix, Chuck and Poliwrath etc. Apart from those, the ones that I cam remember off the top of my head being hard were Lt. Surge's Raichu, and Viridian City's Blue.

With regard to the Elite Four: Lance in RBY was probably hard and, while not part of the Elite Four, Ghestis was probably the hardest battle I've ever done without having all my Pokmeon faint (well, at the same time... had to use like 7 Max Revives over the course of the match).

Years
    I don't see that much of a problem in Brawly, but Wattson, aaargh. You will always have to grind to get up to Magneton's level, and even then, most teams won't stand a chance. There's pretty much 4 Pokemon lines available at that point with a type advantage over Magneton, two of which are starters. So most of my team builds don't include any of these, and since I pretty much always play challenges (unless I don't play at all of course, like currently) I don't have as much flexibility to just cheese just another type advantage win more often than not. And neutral hits are no real help either, since at that point of the game, Magneton's stats are far ahead of pretty much anything you can get without massive overgrinding. Well, except for maybe Gyarados which won't be of any help here (unless it's faster, has Dragon Rage, and Magneton is weakened maybe, but weakening Magneton is not easy at all)

Flannery and her Sunny Overheat spam are not fun either, even with a resistance a crit will kill anything you throw at that Torkoal.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Every Hoeen gym leader the first time, lol. Murdered by Rock Tomb. Murdered by Bulk Up. Murdered by Shock Wave. Murdered by...okay Flannery wasn't hard. Murdered by that BEASY of a Slaking. Murdered by Aerial Ace and EARTHQUAKE ALTARIA WTF. Murdered by Calm Mind + Psychic. MURDERED BY DAT KINGDRA.

Toughest gym leaders imo. :( I don't remember having a whole region own me like they did on Sapphire.

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
    Flannery always owns me, it takes me at least two tries every time I face her no matter what.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
    Actually, the only Elite Four trainer I've had problems with was Blue/Green/GARY MOTHER******* OAK in Yellow. Nobody else was much of a problem.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 4, 2024
    Which gym leader/elite four member do you find tougher to beat than the others?

I've got say...Chuck, Brawly, and Elesa.

Chuck forced me to go back to Ollivine and grind without fly, even after all that grinding, he was still tough. >>
    Brawly, I actually lost to him a couple of times, so I ended up choosing to explore granite cave without flash.
    I accidently forgot about him and had to backtrack after I defeated Wattson and noticed that I had 3 badges.
    Elesa, even though I had a newly evolved Krokorok, she was still hard.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Ironically enough, Brawly, I used to find him to hard to beat! D:

Even if I used SE moves, his damn Makuhita would wipe the floor with me.

I can't remember many others, I remember Koga in Yellow but he wasn't that bad.

Years
    Clair was the hardest for me, that Seadra was one tough customer. Just when you think you have her beat, BAM she comes right back and wipes the floor with you.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    Whitney's Miltank always annoys me. It uses Attract so you can't attack, holds a Lum Berry if you status it, Stomps you to death, builds up damage with Rollout and heals of damage with Milk Drink. She is so annoying. Her Miltank can sweep teams.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Cilian gave me lot of trouble, and don't get me started on Whitney's Miltank. >:(

Years
    I'm pretty sure there's a leader from each region that always manages to send me packing, save Sinnoh, coincidentally enough. In Kanto, there's Koga and his team of trollish poison types, featuring the bulky, toxicstalling, Weezing; and the minimize-spamming Muk, who also boasts considerable bulk. In Johto, we have Clair and her behemoth of a Kingdra, which will spam smokescreen if none of it's 100+ base power attacks can harm you. Whitney and her Miltank are still a bit of a challenge for me, but I've battled them so much, that it's become second nature for me to beat them. Hoenn's Watson and his Magnets, Exploding Voltorbs and powerful Manectric (Emerald) is pretty much hell if, you didn't pick Blaziken as your starter. They've even found ways to kill my Marshtomp. Even if you find something that resists his arsenal of electric types, they will still proceed to paralyze you and then whittle you down with a Sonicboom, which is surprisingly effective, as most of your Pokemon have no more than 50 HP, at this point. Steel typing, this early in the game, is pretty crazy stuff, too. In Unova, there's 2 gym leaders that have and will continue to, give me a run for my money, the first being Aloe. Her bulky and powerful Herdier is hard enough to kill, coupled with that is a tenacious Watchog, that will proceed to hit the Pokemon that just took out Herdier with a 140 base damage attack. Not to mention hypnosis, because it wasn't already tough enough to beat. The final gym leader that has given me trouble, would have to be Elesa. Her Zebstrika is quite easy to kill, but those Emonga, sheesh. They spam double team until they're virtually unhittable and then use Volt Switch to send in her Zebstrika, which is a bit harder to beat than when your accuracy wasn't lowered by 6 stages.

blakeg

Lives to Game
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2011
    Misty
    My team: Charmeleon, Pidgeotto, Pikachu.
    haha even my lv22 Pikachu gets 2 shot by her Starmie and my other two got confused by water pulse. I started again with the same team and my lv23 pikachu killed that starmie. Explain that.

Whitney
    My team: Feraligatr, Pidgeotto, Amphiros
    Miltank, attract, rollout, nough said.

Brawly's Makuhita is strong but my Marshtomp always beats it easily.

Wattson? Grinding? What?. Heck I have a Swampert before then. Aka i win hands down.

Brocks Onix's Rock tomb critical hits my Charmeleon every time.

I just dont have a problem with gyms, especially the ones after the 3rd. The first couple are usually have good level pokemon for that part of the game that have good stats and better moves then you. Which you then get the TM for after beating them. After the 4th gym I'm just way too far ahead in level to have trouble with them, even Clair with a Typhlosion.

1st Gen remake. The gyms were weak. The elite four was weak. The champion was not. Hehe his lv 63 Blastoise was fun.

2nd Gen remake is sooooooo easy, too easy, beyond easy. argh!

3rd gen has the easiest gyms. I was already way ahead in level when i got up to Whattson. And by far the easiest champion whether it is Steven or Wallace.

4th gen has the highest level but since there are so many trainers inbetween your still ahead.

5th gen keeps similar level to 4th gen but has less trainers inbetween which can cause a lack in my level.

Maybe its just me though...

Back