• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your computer OS

CharizardY

Master of Fire
Years
  • Windows 8 running on my Dell XPS Desktop, 27 inch monitor hooked up with HDMI. Also have a laptop running Windows 8 with a touchscreen.

I am in love with Mac's OS but Windows 8 IMO is great once you learn how to use it. It was very buggy last year but updates have cut that down.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Windows 8. I haven't bothered to upgrade to 8.1 because I'd rather buy the physical copy than upgrading it from the store. I like it better this way though. Give me another year to upgrade :P

Yukari

I use Windows 7, the windows 8 interface is crap. I also have another PC that has windows XP Installed, I use it mainly for game developing though.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Windows 8 is good and I am using it. I don't get the hate behind it and I am using a laptop with no touchscreen.

inzain786

Learning Before I Post
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2014
    I'm all OS X. I had Windows 7 on Bootcamp for awhile just for games, but it was too annoying having to reboot just to play so I deleted it.

Years
  • I currently have a dual-booted computer. My operating systems are:

1.) Windows 8.1
    2.) Ubuntu

I use Windows 8.1 more because it runs faster on my laptop. Ubuntu is there in-case something goes wrong in my main operating system. I also like to do some testing on Ubuntu.

I also have an iPad running iOS 7.0.4 but it's Jailbroken as well.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I had Windows XP, then installed Windows 7 onto another drive and dual-booted for some time. Following a hardware failure I currently only have Windows 7 on. I'm likely to go on to put Windows 98SE in place of XP, since a Windows 4.x OS would be more ideal for old games. Given the way Windows seems to be going, my hope is for Linux PC gaming to gain popularity.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I use Mac (since 2009) and until Windows turns it around (Windows 8 is literally the worst operating system I've ever used), I'm probably not going to ever turn back to them. Windows 7 was okay, Windows Vista was meh (I liked it at the time. I think I was one of the few that did). I have yet to have a single problem with my Mac and I've been able to do things I've wanted to do easily without having to Google it or performing open heart surgery on my computer.

Linux is good too, but my most used applications aren't available on it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I run Windows 8.1 on my laptop and computer. I don't see the point in changing when it just works.

Years
  • I just got a laptop today that runs Windows 8.1 and so far I'm loving it, especially since it has a touch screen! I've found myself using the touch screen more than the trackpad as well :p

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • I installed Windows 7 on my old laptop about 3 years ago. I had XP before, and was truly impressed by the fantastic OS that Microsoft came with.

Years later, I still use Windows 7 on my old laptop and also on my new laptop. I've had to help people with Windows 8 with their computers, and it was just one bad experience after another.

Every other version of Windows is good, so I guess I'm waiting for Windows 9.

Years
  • If your computer supports XP, then there is a really high chance it can handle 7. And if you install 7 on your old computer, it'll lag but it'll still work really well.
    That's not true at all. There are computers that support Windows XP, but don't support Windows 7. Windows XP requires at least 64 MB of RAM to run while Windows 7 requires 1 GB of RAM for 32-bit and 2 GB for 64 bit. Quite a difference there if you ask me.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • That's not true at all. There are computers that support Windows XP, but don't support Windows 7. Windows XP requires at least 64 MB of RAM to run while Windows 7 requires 1 GB of RAM for 32-bit and 2 GB for 64 bit. Quite a difference there if you ask me.

I successfully installed Windows 7 on my old laptop (Toshiba Satellite A105). Single core Centrino processor (ugh) with 512 MB RAM. I didn't update RAM to 3GB until a year after putting Windows 7 on it. I used it mostly for schoolwork and online chatting during that time, occasionally using it as a multimedia player.

Other than the operating system lag, it ran pretty much the same as it did when I had Windows XP on it.

As a general rule, if Windows Vista can install on your computer, even if it doesn't match the specs, Windows 7 will also be able to install on the computer. My laptop's original package (I checked online) said it was Vista-ready.

Back