• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Your opinions of B/W Pokémon - Favourites and Least Favourites

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
Years

• I agree. Gigagear is way too complex, and that moving sprite just makes it worse. :/ Way too much going on.

Ahem.
    Five rotating gears is complex and an obese lizard with spots and warts, cat ears, a turtle mouth, fangs, colored pupils, palm tree fronds, and a rafflesia flower with a trunk on its back is not? Not that you ever said venusaur was simple, but most people seem to think so. Seriously people, whatever crack you are smoking that makes you think gear and it's evo's are complicated (Some other pokemon are, but gear? Really?) can't be good for you.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I actually like Gigear, I think its changes from Gear makes sense and it reminds me of Magnemite (not like Magnemite's third evo D:). Though when Gear first came out, I kind of forgot it (even though I originally disliked it) and... I still forget it exists!

Years
  • Ahem.
    Five rotating gears is complex and an obese lizard with spots and warts, cat ears, a turtle mouth, fangs, colored pupils, palm tree fronds, and a rafflesia flower with a trunk on its back is not? Not that you ever said venusaur was simple, but most people seem to think so. Seriously people, whatever crack you are smoking that makes you think gear and it's evo's are complicated (Some other pokemon are, but gear? Really?) can't be good for you.

Opinions, my dear.

But Venusaur's sprite isn't spinning/rotating/moving in 5 different directions at once. It's complexity, in my opinion, comes from how the sprite moves, It's just constant;y spinning, and rotating and moving, too much for my tastes. :/ I like the Pokemon, just not the sprite.

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
    Years
  • Sorry, rereading that, I realize that I was pretty mean with that post. Really sorry. But you're right, the movement is a little complicated. Wouldn't it be funny if venusaur moved in a complicated way, like having the rafflesia flower rotate and the palm tree leaves rotate in another direction? Lol. That would be awesome. And weird. Very very weird.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I caught the attention after reading about Kaori's post in the Shiny discussion, of Bachura and Denchura. It has made me wonder why they only have 4 legs. If they are based on a tarantula then shouldn't the final evo at least have 8 legs? So I wouldn't actually realize it is a spider on first sight because of this. I t looks like some other bug.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I dunno, I actually like the fact that they don't look directly like spiders (considering my fear of them) and would much rather if they didn't look like spiders (because it makes them look muuuch cuter this way <3)

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I guess thats just how spiders look in the Pokemon world since Ariados was made the same way...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Ariados was less liked than Denchura. :D

...and idk, other Pokemon don't have similar characteristics in the way they do (did that even make sense? D:), so it might just be them, cause if we got another spider it would look different?

^ the above made no sense, but overall, I think if the extra legs were included, Denchura/Bachura would be less popular due to that.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    More than cluttered, just unappealing in general. And Bachura doesn't look that much like a spider, anyway, so...

I dunno, I'm imagining Ledyba crossed with Denchura and not liking what I'm seeing. :(

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I guess thats just how spiders look in the Pokemon world since Ariados was made the same way...

Yeah, but it is pretty un-noticeable on Araidos as everything about its design screams "SPIDER!"

Bachura is too cute to have eight legs though. In Kaori's sig, the running pic of Bachura makes it look like a small animal of some sort not a spider. Cute though.

Denchura however, idk I guess I would have liked it to look more spider like, having only four legs doesn't so much bother me, I still love Denchura, I just..... wish it was more spider like. Maybe if its legs were thinner eight legs may look appealing, but like forever said, four would suit the design better.

Years
  • Sorry, rereading that, I realize that I was pretty mean with that post. Really sorry. But you're right, the movement is a little complicated. Wouldn't it be funny if venusaur moved in a complicated way, like having the rafflesia flower rotate and the palm tree leaves rotate in another direction? Lol. That would be awesome. And weird. Very very weird.

It's ok I wouldn't like it if one of my my favorite pokes was being trashed. :/ I saw it's animated sprite at it kinda shakes its flower at you, so close enough. xD

By the way, Denchura >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ariados in every possible way. >:| Denchura is technically a tarantula, not a normal spider, even though it only has 6 legs, counting the front feelers.

I caught the attention after reading about Kaori's post in the Shiny discussion, of Bachura and Denchura. It has made me wonder why they only have 4 legs. If they are based on a tarantula then shouldn't the final evo at least have 8 legs? So I wouldn't actually realize it is a spider on first sight because of this. I t looks like some other bug.

Rave and Forever said it already, really. It would be too much going on, it would look overdone.

Last edited:

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • XD You would think that me being a guy who loves tarantulas irl (so hairy and beautimus <333) I would be all over Denchura, right?

Wrong, lol. It's too cutesy, too let's-appeal-the-kiddies-looking. Tarantulas in real life are cute, but in the same way bees, wasps, centipedes and other bugs are "cute" in my opinion. Denchura just doesn't have that buggy feel; it's more like a tarantula plush and less like a real tarantula. I prefer Ariados' designs (but obviously, not its typing, abilities or stats). I'd have rather have Denchura be vicious and nasty like Pendora, not something that looks like it's from a kid's show or movie with cute bugs in it. I don't hate it, mind you; it's a great design if you like cute bugs such as Beautifly and Hahakomori; I'm simply stating it's not my cup of tea because I prefer bugs to look vicious (like Pendora, Vespiquen, Aianto).

I love cute Pokemon in general such as Chillaccino, but when it comes to bugs, I prefer them not-so-cute. :D

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2015
    tbh, i am somehow disappointed at the new pokemon art. I've noticed the downfall when i saw how spiritomb turned out. No offense to spiritomb fans. However to make up for the sprite art, the new features truly stand out, they really enhanced the 3D rendering, battle system to name a few.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'll give my thoughts on Isshu's regional bird (the Mamepato line):
    Your opinions of B/W Pokémon - Favourites and Least Favourites

(Mamepato, Hatooboo and Kenhorou in that order)

In terms of level up: These guys start out with Gust, which is rather fail considering they have better Attack than Special Attack. It's true that they can learn physical moves like Facade and Sky Attack by level up, but that takes a long time. They learn Air Cutter and Air Slash by level up as well, but they're still Special moves. Overall, even though I never used them, due to not having the game, I consider them as the most difficult regional birds to use.

In terms of aesthetics: When I saw Mamepato's Sugimori artwork, I thought they ripped off Honchkrow's Sugimori artrwork's pose. Later, when I saw Hatooboo's Sugimori artwork, it was doing the exact same thing.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Aww, Denchura is still nice even though it's cute! ;;
    (why is it that most of my posts in this section somehow relate to Denchura/Bachura? lol)

As for the three birds, I like Mamepato, I like Habootoo but the evolution looks like a chicken crossed with a peacock, which is not appealing to me at all. Either way though, the final evolution reminds me of Starly's final evolution more than anything else though, which is disappointing.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Personally I feel as though Denchura/Bachura are very cute for Bugs

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Your opinions of B/W Pokémon - Favourites and Least Favourites

Regarding Kenhorou, the pigeon Pokemon's final stage...the male looks very ugly/strange. The pink and green clash too much for me, and if I change the pink to red, he reminds me too much of Staraptor... :( The shiny variant doesn't help things, either...

The female's coloration, however, is a definite improvement (It appears some gender sprite differences are still present in BW...well a few, according to Bulbapedia). Her color scheme matches is more similar to Mamepato's color scheme, which I actually preferred. It's weird; both of Kenhorou's sprites seem female rather than male...I think the female having a mask with a blue color similar to the one incorporated in Mamepato's shiny would have been a nice touch.

And this guy is growing more on me :cer_smile::

As much as I loved the color scheme and design on Meguroco, Waruvial seems like a nice progression from the original scheme. It even has a facial design that hearkens back to the glasses of the Squirtle Squad! :D Plus, the red skin reminds me of raw muscle and gives me the impression that Waruvial used to look like its shiny variant (matching its pre-evo), but someone managed to piss it off to a great extent that its anger is now permanent (supported by its Dream World ability, Anger Point)! Similar to what happens with Rock Lee when he accesses the Inner Gates ;):

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back