• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Your opinions of B/W Pokémon - Favourites and Least Favourites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
    I love Kenhorou, XD. People only find their colours strange because unlike myself (aka a bird enthusiast), y'all haven't seen how strange some birds can get, especially the males, and this is true for many tropical pigeons. Trust me, if they wanted to over-do the design of male Kenhorou, they could have done much, much worse. It's not at all a cross between a chicken and a peacock; rather, it's a cross between a tropical pigeon and a pheasant; sexual dimorphism isn't that marked in pigeons as it is in gamebirds such as pheasants and peafowl (yes, peafowl; peacocks are a group of male, peahens are a group of females, peafowl are birds in general or a group of them).

I hate its stats, however. That sexy 105 attack should have gone to its special attack instead so it could abuse Air Slash. And I was excited about Super Luck, until I saw it gets nothing like Slash or Night Slash or indeed anything that it can use well in sync with his only good ability. The only use I see for this thing is using Wish, then U-Turn the hell out, but you have to really love the thing to resort to that, because just about every other Wishpasser (Vaporeon, Umbreon, Blissey, Mamanbou) outclasses it, as does every other bird (Dodrio hasn't got Super Luck and it's still better). Hopefully Pokemon Grey will give it something noteworthy, maybe.

- - - - - - - - -

Just came here to rave about Doredia some more.

You know, I don't think she's gonna quite live up to the hype of Confusion-Free Petal Dancing Goddess. Competitively, Petal Dance is still not great due to its poor coverage and locking you into it; Outrage locks you too, but most things out there don't resist Dragon, whereas a lot of stuff resists Grass.

But, I am stubborn, and I love Petal Dance, so I think I will use it anyway. It is true that after one or two Butterfly Dances, stuff like Giga Drain will have just as much power and it will heal you, which is nice, but methinks that it is also true that after x number of Butterfly Dances, Petal Dance is going to do so much damage that nothing short of a 4x resistance to Grass will be able to take it without having their HP severely dented.

I only wish she'd gotten something better than this, but it could be worse. The day she gets better moves, she's gonna outclass Chlorophyll Tangrowth in a heartbeat; arguably, she already does. Better speed, packs Sleep Powder too, equally awesome special attack, and Butterfly Dance. With Sun support, her speed hits the skyscrapers of Hiun City, and unlike Exeggutor and Shiftry, she hasn't got 1001 weak. :D

But yes, loving her now plz. This morning I hatched a few eggs and got a modest Churine with Own Tempo. <3

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    I'll be doing a catalog of the new Pokemon as well, then.

Your opinions of B/W Pokémon - Favourites and Least Favourites

Victini
    Concept: I feel that Victini is perhaps one of the least interesting "sprite" legendaries, embodying the spirit of victory. It draws the same characteristic "V" that Nike (also non-coincidentally named after the Greek goddess of victory) uses. As a Fire / Psychic type, it is unique, though.
    Aesthetics: I like the art for this Pokemon much more than that of Jirachi or Manaphy. It is simple, but effective.
    Playability: Victini gets a lot of good support moves and a few good offensive ones, but its typing really messes it up. It's weak to near every common type -- Rock, Ground, Water, Dark, Ghost -- and can't fend against moderate defenders very well. Victory Star is its saving-grace, though, as it can use attacks like Thunder and Fire Blast more effectively. If used right, though, Victini is a bit of a menace, but he is easily predicted because most of his movesets are composed of Fire Blast, Focus Blast, and Thunder anyway.

Smugleaf / Janovy / Smuglord
    Concept: Tsutaaja and pals draw obscurely from the story of Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden. It's a very cool idea. Solid 10 / 10.
    Aesthetics: I like Jalorda and Tsutaaja much better than their middle evolution. Not much to say. Tsutaaja has already turned several leaves in the pages of history because of his apotheosis into "Smugleaf."
    Playability: Perversity + Leaf Storm is ridiculous, turning each attack into a super-powered Charge Beam-like attack. Otherwise, though, Jalorda has much to wish for (in terms of stats as well as movepool). He can use Coil well, but does not learn many attacks to utilize this stat-up. If you want to use him competitively, better grab him from Dream World.

Pokabu / Chaobuu / Enbuoh
    Concept: I read that he comes from the same myth as Infernape, et al. In that respect, he's not exactly unique -- he even draws the same typing and playstyle as Infernape does (minus Nasty Plot).
    Aesthetics: Looks the same as Infernape. Enbuoh looks a bit awkward, but that's probably because of preliminary spriting, just like how Gliscor was ruined in Diamon / Pearl, but got a great rehaul in Platinum.
    Playability: Strange one here likes to inflict recoil upon himself, learning the staggering combination of Flare Blitz, Head Smash, and Wild Bolt. He's strong and has high HP, but has no defenses. He also happens to learn the fantastic combination of Hammer Arm + Curse + Gyro Ball to exploit his low speed. Cheer Up allows him to reach both spectrums of attack. Of course, his defense is lacking, but his power redeems him very well.

Mijumaru / Futachimaru / Daikenki
    Concept: Wotter is a great reflection of an under-appreciated species. https://dailyotter.org Being a samurai makes him even cooler.
    Aesthetics: Mijumaru is absolutely adorable, and Futachimaru almost as much so. Daikenki is a bit of a strange one, though, since there seems to be no segway to becoming quadrupedal. I also think Futachimaru would have looked better in white as well.
    Playability: Kind of generic. He learns Swords Dance, a few awkward Bug-type attacks, Aqua Jet, Waterfall, and Hydro Pump. He has good coverage, but lacks variety. He has usable Special Attack, but can't really do anything special with it (he does learn Air Slash, though).

Umbrella

Rihanna's The Queen, You Mad?
    Years

Regarding Kenhorou, the pigeon Pokemon's final stage...the male looks very ugly/strange. The pink and green clash too much for me, and if I change the pink to red, he reminds me too much of Staraptor... :( The shiny variant doesn't help things, either...

The female's coloration, however, is a definite improvement (It appears some gender sprite differences are still present in BW...well a few, according to Bulbapedia). Her color scheme matches is more similar to Mamepato's color scheme, which I actually preferred. It's weird; both of Kenhorou's sprites seem female rather than male...I think the female having a mask with a blue color similar to the one incorporated in Mamepato's shiny would have been a nice touch.

And this guy is growing more on me :cer_smile::

As much as I loved the color scheme and design on Meguroco, Waruvial seems like a nice progression from the original scheme. It even has a facial design that hearkens back to the glasses of the Squirtle Squad! :D Plus, the red skin reminds me of raw muscle and gives me the impression that Waruvial used to look like its shiny variant (matching its pre-evo), but someone managed to piss it off to a great extent that its anger is now permanent (supported by its Dream World ability, Anger Point)! Similar to what happens with Rock Lee when he accesses the Inner Gates ;):

That bird looks amazing. I like the female form better honestly though. Probably because its less extravagant.

The croc? Ew. I only like the second form.

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
    I'll give my thoughts on Isshu's regional bird (the Mamepato line):

(Mamepato, Hatooboo and Kenhorou in that order)

In terms of level up: These guys start out with Gust, which is rather fail considering they have better Attack than Special Attack. It's true that they can learn physical moves like Facade and Sky Attack by level up, but that takes a long time. They learn Air Cutter and Air Slash by level up as well, but they're still Special moves. Overall, even though I never used them, due to not having the game, I consider them as the most difficult regional birds to use.

In terms of aesthetics: When I saw Mamepato's Sugimori artwork, I thought they ripped off Honchkrow's Sugimori artrwork's pose. Later, when I saw Hatooboo's Sugimori artwork, it was doing the exact same thing.

I love the first ev, the second one just looks off to me, like someone said it really does look like an ev from starley's evolution line!

I also really like the third evolution and I think I am one of the few that likes the male version better than the female! his colouring is a little off but I do like the fact that he has had some colour added to him instead of just being grey and brown

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I love the male Kenhorou much more than the boring female... looks too much like a turkey for me. I love that they made it that way because it represents what many real life bird species do. The Pink and Green color combination is just bold enough for me to love.

Haunted House of Onyx

Ghastly Ghost Trainer
    Years
    Well, I for one think that some of these new Pokemon are quite intriging...

Examples include; Shandera, Desukaan, Ranpuraa and Hitomoshi

(As everyone is aware, I'm a huge ghost fan)

A chandilier, a coffin, gas lamp, candles? genius

(In my own opinion... You're entitled to your own.)

Tony Stark

Mr. Stark
    Years

All the Ghosts this Gen are pretty awesome. I <3 the Shanderra line and Desukaan.

Umbrella

Years

I'm sick of that chandelier. I don't like it. Reminds me too much of Drifblim.

Years
    I'm sick of that chandelier. I don't like it. Reminds me too much of Drifblim.

But but but Shanderaa >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Drifblim in like every possible way. :(

The only thing I'm sick of seeing/hearing about is Gigagear and how BA Ononokusu is. Ononokusu is awesome, yes, but mentioning it every five seconds is meh.

Amai

やった! 私はあまい
    Years
    Ononokusu is one of my favorite Pokemon now, it looks awesome (especially shiny <3) and is so strong!

Edit: I swear on my life I didn't read the above post before posting this X__X

Last edited:

Umbrella

Years
    I know its way stronger than Drifblim. I just like Drifblim's design better.

I know what you mean about Ononokusu. But its even more irritating seeing that ugly little lamp everywhere IMO.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

But but but Shanderaa >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Drifblim in like every possible way. :(

The only thing I'm sick of seeing/hearing about is Gigagear and how
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]BA Ononokusu is. Ononokusu is awesome, yes, but mentioning it every five seconds is meh.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

But it simply exudes so much BA-ness that it warrants so much mentioning! :D Along with having freaking axe tusks(?), a vicious yellow design, and an equally menacing shiny variant, it also has the distinction of spurring Trainers on a very fun spelling spree. ONONONONONONONONONONONONONONOKUSU!!! :cer_boogie: Definitely a plus for BW's Pokemon designs.

Or would people rather have this guy getting mentioned every 5 seconds, dominating teh Internets? :cer_laugh: :P I'm actually getting (slightly) fond of it due to the derision it's been subject to so far...strangest Woobie ever? :\

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
    My Favorites!

Here are my favorites in Picture form (and names):

Spoiler:

Or would people rather have this guy getting mentioned every 5 seconds, dominating teh Internets? :cer_laugh: :P I'm actually getting (slightly) fond of it due to the derision it's been subject to so far...strangest Woobie ever? :\

He looks like a deformed mutant trash-covered version of Totoro.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    But it simply exudes so much BA-ness that it warrants so much mentioning! :D Along with having freaking axe tusks(?), a vicious yellow design, and an equally menacing shiny variant, it also has the distinction of spurring Trainers on a very fun spelling spree. ONONONONONONONONONONONONONONOKUSU!!! :cer_boogie: Definitely a plus for BW's Pokemon designs.

Ononokusu does have one of the best Shiny sprites ever, imo. :D As for Lord Garbagemon, it has meme written all over it. xDDD

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

Ononokusu does have one of the best Shiny sprites ever, imo. :D As for Lord Garbagemon, it has meme written all over it. xDDD

My thoughts exactly! :D As for a caption, I was thinking either "WUV ME. NOW!" or

"Guuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

Either way, Dasutodasu seems destined for meme-status. I'm hoping that an entry on knowyourmeme.com pops up soon. :D This Pokemon seems to not be that bad, actually What am I saying?! :cer_laugh: (though I still wish it had a cool garbage can accessory!) In any case, it seems to be one of the more memorable yet derided designs of Gen V Pokemon.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    like the above, i think its time that the same pokemon (Sazandra/Ononokuso/Shanderaa) stopped getting clusterhugged every other post.

why not talk about some that havent even been MENTIONED yet?

Aianto, Shinpora, Iwaparesu anyone?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back