• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Your opinions on the Pokedex?

Shizzable

The Derpiest One Of All
Years
  • A Tiny Pokedex?

So all the Pokemon that have been revealed/seen yet adds up to somewhere around 60, I believe. I know there will be plenty less Pokemon than Gen 5, but are there too many old gen Pokemon overtaking the new ones (I mean, who wants a Bidoof and Burmy)? I'm hoping there will be plenty more.

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2015
    What do you think of the Pokedex so far? I am pretty bummed out that this generation's Pokedex doesn't have an entire new 150 pokemon. However, I'm still very happy to see some of my favorite pokemon come back in this generation.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • I love how easy you can get a Pikachu. If you put a Pikachu as your lead, you also encounter them a lot more just below the first gym town.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't there a lot of Pokemon? I can't even chose what to train, so I guess I'll just go with the flow and change my team often.

I love how easy you can get a Pikachu. If you put a Pikachu as your lead, you also encounter them a lot more just below the first gym town.

Hehe, that's Static, right there.

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2015
    Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't there a lot of Pokemon? I can't even chose what to train, so I guess I'll just go with the flow and change my team often.

Hehe, that's Static, right there.
    Yeah, it has the second largest region Pokedex today, but more than half of the pokedex is filled with old pokemon.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
    Years
  • PokeDex Entries.

No Pokedex entry Thread so far ? Wynaut ?

So what are your favorite pokedex entries from X/Y

One that really spooked me was Phantump.
    "According to old tales , these pokemon are stumps possessed by the spirits of children who died while lost in forest"
    Now That's Dark. Yveltal's entry is also wicked. Share your favorites.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    What is it with pokemon and children haunting things?

and the entries are getting rather morbid as we go on in Generations

we've gone from birds stirring up dust to hide from enemies to "draining the life force as people follow it"

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I don't think so. I really liek the mix of the older gen. with the newer gen. There seems to be more of a mix than there were in the previous games. I like it, I think that each region should connect in at least a small aspect. This is also seen in the anime as well. I wish there were more new pokemon in this gen. but, hey, who doesn't?

I wish there were more new pokemon as well but, hey, who doesn't? I think that the mega evos compensate a little, but I'm satisfied with the pokedex for the most part.

I love the Pokedex entry for my Snorlax:

"It is not satisfied unless it eats over 880 pounds of food every day. When is is done eating, it goes promptly to sleep."

Eats hard and works hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I would have liked another 30 or so new pokemon, I don't personally feel quantity effects quality much since my favourite gens for pokemon are the 3rd and 5th. I do think another 150 pokemon right after Unova would be overkill though....around 100 would have been satisfactory.

What we got was very good overall though.

As for the pokedex itself, I'm really happy to see the return of the HGSS style of pokedex. I much prefer the grid.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen May 2, 2022
    I said it before and I say it again:
    The amount of new Pokémon they did this time is absolutely fine, in fact I would have been okay with it if it were a little less.

It's way better this way than to have like 100 new Pokémon and leave all the old ones out of the game. I hated it in Diamond/Pearl where you were forced to use the new ones. X/Y are way better in this regard. There is a solid number of new Pokémon, but you still can easily choose Pokémons of the last 5 generations if you want to.
    This is how it should always be from now on, in my opinion. Just a few new Pokémon mixed with old ones.

-- Matt.

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2013
    IMO, we don't need additional pokemons right now, just new features and new graphics is enough... thats just me though :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I really like how they've divided up the PokéDex into three separate sections this gen—central, coastal, and mountain. When you're searching for a specific Pokémon, it makes the process a lot easier. In previous games, you had to through a list of all Pokémon in-game, which I found to be a bit frustrating. d: I know that they had sorting options, but, y'know… I just didn't feel like using them. So far, my favorite PokéDex entry would have to be Zygarde. It's the protector of ecosystem; if the ecosystem is ever threatened, it'd reveal its true power. Isn't that interesting?

TrinityLovesPokemon

TrinityLovesPokemon
    Years
  • Well right now I'm trying to catch all of the Pokémon and it's a real pain. I think the Pokedex is too big in my opinion, but I also agree that too much of the old Pokémon are back. I like how they're bringing gen 1, 2, and 3 back, but other gens? Not so much. I really didn't like the fifth gen when it came out and I still don't. I wanted Nintendo to make at least 200 new Pokémon, but I guess that didn't work out. Maybe they were too busy working on Mega Evolutions? Idk. But the Pokedex for this gen? I hate it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2013
    So all the Pokemon that have been revealed/seen yet adds up to somewhere around 60, I believe. I know there will be plenty less Pokemon than Gen 5, but are there too many old gen Pokemon overtaking the new ones (I mean, who wants a Bidoof and Burmy)? I'm hoping there will be plenty more.

I agree completely, but I do almost feel like this Gen 5 is trying to capture the hearts and minds of that older, Gen 1 & 2 audience. From what I read on forums it seems to have worked too. "Excited to be back, haven't played since Heart Gold", for example. I feel that might also be why all 3 original starters have a mega, Charizard with two. So as it maybe overdone with all the old Gen poke's, I do, somewhat, see where it's coming from.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2013
    I haven't played since Diamond, so I didn't even notice there weren't many new pokémon when I got X. I have a feeling they'll be doing a lot of things with X and Y.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I like how this generation have that few an amount of new Pokemon - I'm still not done remembering the ones from generation 5 (Just because I aren't even interested in that generation) so this works out better for me.

I can remember all the Pokemon from this generation, at least.

I agree completely, but I do almost feel like this Gen 5 is trying to capture the hearts and minds of that older, Gen 1 & 2 audience. From what I read on forums it seems to have worked too. "Excited to be back, haven't played since Heart Gold", for example. I feel that might also be why all 3 original starters have a mega, Charizard with two. So as it maybe overdone with all the old Gen poke's, I do, somewhat, see where it's coming from.

X and Y are generation SIX.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2015
    No Pokedex entry Thread so far ? Wynaut ?

So what are your favorite pokedex entries from X/Y

One that really spooked me was Phantump.
    "According to old tales , these pokemon are stumps possessed by the spirits of children who died while lost in forest"
    Now That's Dark. Yveltal's entry is also wicked. Share your favorites.

What about Honedge?
    Its rather interesting I think

POKEDEX: "Apparently this Pokemon is born when a departed spirit inhabits a sword. It attaches itself to people and drinks their life force."

So does that mean when you catch one it's feeding off your trainers life force? lol

Also phantump's evolution isn't much better.

"It traps people who harm the forest, so they can never leave"

Only you can prevent forest fires or Trevenant will trap you in the woods forever making sure you never see your family or anyone else ever again? lol
    I find both these rather dark for a "children's" game.

Last edited:
    Back