• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your parents reaction?

Years
  • I don't watch Pokemon anymore really, but I do play sometimes. My parents know I do and they aren't that bothered really; they just see it as another game.​

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    My parents know that I play the games, but they don't mind. My mum even goes as far as to point out any sort of Pokemon-esque things in the mall when we happen to pass by a toy shop, saying stuff like, "Hey, isn't that your Pikachu-Pikachu thing?" Then again, my mum does like to baby me and my brother ._.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • You know, it's funny. My parents have always known I like Pokemon. From time I started playing to the present, and they have never once told me to stop. Then again, my parents never make me feel bad for having an interest in something.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • They know I still play the games, they don't mind it. They do say "It's weird" to my brother who somehow still watches the anime (I don't; it's not that I think it's childlish, just that the anime is pure torture) but honestly I don't think they really care what we're into, lol. Pokemon or otherwise.

北海道

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2012
    They try to make me stop because I spend a big part of my day on forums, playing the videogame, etc. but not because it's Pokemon
    On their minds it's just another silly video game, like every other else

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I'm 22 and my parents couldn't care less that I'm into pokemon. As long as it's not drugs or something like an unplanned pregnancy then why would they have a problem with it? It's just a hobby. :3

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • OH MAH GAWD My parents couldn't care less as long as I'm having a good time and not depressed. So PC helps me play Pokémon. THANKS GUIZE

Well everybody at my school wears Pikachu clothes and stuff, so I'm not really sure if they're so interested in Pokémon. To be honest I really wish they wore Grovyle paraphernalia :'(

Except for these kids kmrn who love to play Pokémon in Japanese class all the time, those people LOVE Pokémon for sure.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    They care as much as they understand, which is to say they do neither.
    I only play the games, by the way; seems quite a healthy interest to me, really.

Asuf

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    My parents don't know, they wouldn't really care i guess. However I have three brothers, one gives me a hard time about it, the other really coudn't care less and the last one dosen't know and I'll keep it like that lol.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2012
    i dont watch pokemon anymore because i think it got kind of ruined when they added all the new pokemon. From the start to Johto was about Pokemons best. But i still watch a couple of anime One Piece, Naruto Shippuden and Prince of Tennis and my parents have seen me watching it. All they say it why do you watch it? i allways answerer because i like it and i like reading subtitles. (I usualy watch in Japanese with English subtitles).
    I suppose i would say the same thing if i still watched pokemon but i dont anymore so yeah.

fuz

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2012
    My dad used to laugh at Brock's eyes: he never used to open his eyes.

He would make impressions about him bumping into things...

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • My parents know about Pokemon. And here's what they think about it: they hate it. Every single thing about it. Whenever I buy a game that has Pokemon on the title they say: "Of course you bought another Pokemon game!" And when I read the manga it's the same thing. As for the anime they don't care about it at all. The regular chapter books they also have no opinion on. Finally the trading card game...they get all nasty when I want to get the cards they say: "you have enough Pokemon cards!" or... "No more Pokemon cards!!" And stuff like that.

....So basically my parents hate all forms of Pokemon except the anime and books.

Years
  • My parents really don't care. Heck, my dad's the one who introduced me to Pokemon when I was six. Whenever a new game comes out and I buy it, he usually says something along the lines of "You know, you've always loved those games." In almost every other aspect of my life, I've grown up really fast, so I think it just makes him happy to see that I still love Pokemon and all the other games we played together when I was little, especially with me leaving for college soon. In his mind, it's probably his reassurance that I'm still his "little girl".

My mom doesn't understand a lot about video games, so she just really doesn't care. In fact, she probably doesn't even know what Pokemon is. :p

For everyone's parents who make fun of them or don't like them playing Pokemon, I wish I could share mine with you! I feel really bad whenever I hear about people's parents disapproving of them. :(

Years
  • My mom doesn't care about that, she even likes me telling her about the newest games coming out.
    She always does her best at encouraging me with things. She lets me be.

Murdock 1869

Addicted for sure!
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2012
    Great topic! My wife hates my Anime addiction but she just laughs and doesn't judge. I usually make her drive so I can play my SS for a tid bit. My parents know i'm a nerd and there cool with it. My gram still knows she usually gets me the newest versions for Christmas when there available.

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    My parents don't really mind, they even buy me Pokémon stuff even now. And my aunt gave me the Pokémon manga as a Christmas gift~ x3

Zapperz

colour swapper!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    my mom taught that it was cute that i loved pokemon when i was 8.
    she still thinks im cute when i love it at 17.
    love ma moma!

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
    Years
  • Iv been obsessed with pokemon since i was six beginning with my game boy colr pikachu edition and pokemon yellow and the only person that knows im obsessed is my brother( he cant make jokes since hes obsessed with mario) i hide my famdom from EVERYBODY
    nobody knows except my brother only because when i was in 5th grade one kid got bullied for liking pokemon and ive been hiding it ever since

Back