• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your parents reaction?

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I think my mom and dad know that I still play it and watch it occasionally (albeit only the older seasons), I even have a DVD still that I'm planning to watch again soon even though I've watched it 7 times or so already hahah. They really don't mind at all.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Have you ever told your parents that you are still watching Pokemon, or did they found out by them self? Did they make jokes about that, or did they seriously told you to grow up? My parents don't know that i watch Pokemon, and i'm not afraid of telling that to them (they would just find that a childish).

Staff Edit: Since this is in PG now, let's broaden it some! Don't just talk about watching, but also playing the games, reading the manga, playing the trading card game, etc.

I'm still a huge fan of POKéMON, and I was really going to do anything just to watch the series, unfortunately, I lost interest in the animé after the english voice actors were replaced. I tried to bear it, but they awefully sound stupid... I missed Corpish's old voice during that time. =/

Anyway, my parents know, as well as my brothers, and they know how much I'm addicted to it. Occasionally, they do ask to grow up, but, "once you love something, it's hard to let go" is what I always tell them. Usually, they don't care, as long as it won't be an obstruction to anything.

To answer the questions, I forgot how my parents found out about my addiction to POKéMON. At least I'm not addicted to drugs/alcohol/cigarettes, one of their comments I couldn't forget. :)

During my grade school and high school years, my classmates, and some schoolmates, are aware of my love for POKéMON. Some don't mind, heck, they're addicted to some other animé anyway, like Naruto, Inu Yasha(?), Flames of Recca, HunterXHunter, Digimon, YuGiOh, and many more, so respect for animé lovers is in the atmosphere. :P
    I miss those days.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • My parents don't know, or at least I think they don't... I am a big Pokemon gamer, so I don't watch the show that much. It has gotten a little bad since the godly advanced generation and below, but I always watch the movies, because they work harder on those in terms of scriptwriting. I usually watch the movies during the night, so my parents are asleep. I order my own games, so they shouldn't know about that either. Honestly, I wouldn't care if they found out I still enjoy Pokemon, because I always will.

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen yesterday
    For my parents it's just another game/TV show that I play/watch. They don't care.

I think parents like that teenagers are still a child inside that there not grown up.

Last edited:

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • They know that I play the games, but they don't know how much I'm a fan of Pokémon, of its manga, its anime, its universe. I don't like to share my passions with people I know IRL, including my parents. I prefer to hide them, but I think they wouldn't mind if they knew.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • TN
    • Seen Feb 9, 2018
    My parents know that I love and have always loved Pokemon :3 When I was 5-6 we'd go to the mall every weekend to buy a new Pokemon toy, or some cards, or whatever. I still have all of them. My parents don't mind at all that I like Pokemon (or anything else for that matter). They always drive me to preorder/pick up games or go to events (although soon I'll be driving myself!!). I can even get the kids meal if there are Pokemon toys... XD

But yeah. No one cares. All of my little sisters and a bunch of my friends like Pokemon too. My older sister was never really into it but she knows I still like it and got me a Pikachu hat for my birthday :P Sometimes my dad might make a joke about my friend in college playing Pokemon (but that's probably because he constantly talks about it :P), but we always say, "Dad, everybody plays Pokemon!"

I tried to convince Dad to learn to play it,and he said only if i also learned to play guitar. I tried to convince Mom, too, but she said she'd get addicted and we'd all live in filth and starve XD

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • Staff Edit: Since this is in PG now, let's broaden it some! Don't just talk about watching, but also playing the games, reading the manga, playing the trading card game, etc.

Funniest part of this thread :p 'Staff Edit', lol, good one Toujours :)

Anyway, yes, they know. I'd be on my laptop, checking out PC or TPD or something, with this huge Pokemon related header, and my mom would walk in and be like: "Watcha doin?"
    I so reluctantly reply: "Pokemon"
    She sighs and walks away :p

I'm so involved in my online Pokemon life, that it's hard keeping it from people. It would be like huge chunks of my life were missing if people didn't know what I was doing, cause I'd be gone for hours.
    My closest friends, my siblings, and my parents and other family members know... :)

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • My parents know (and with my mom, that knowledge comes with an amused snicker - not a gamer in the least compared to me and my dad) and don't really care so long as I don't ask for a DS (to this day, I don't have anything newer than a GBA/PS2 and Pokemon Sapphire was the last Pokemon related thing I ever purchased) or it doesn't involve money. As long as I play games on the computer, they could care less about what games I play or anime/cartoons I watch. I have a few friends irl who are Poke/game-maniacs like I am, so it's a non-issue.

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
  • My whole family know about my love for Pokemon. My mom makes jokes about my nerdy ways but other than that everything cool. I even got my little sister into the anime and the games.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2013
    My parents have known since I started playing when I was around 5. They have no problem with me buying games, trading cards, or the manga.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • My mum didn't like the first movie even though I loved it, she took me to see it when I was like 7 years old but I don't watch the show anymore. I do however still play the games and she knows that because she sometimes goes halves when I'm buying them and she has no problem with it.

LouBeatYou

Go Kibago, Go!
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2012
    My parents know and encourage it. Whenever I evolve a magikarp in a game and my dad sees he says, "Is that Gyarados? Teach it Dragon Rage! Nothing beats it!". He is also very sentimental about Pikachu, considering we used to watch the show together when I was like five, but now I'm in high school and they still don't judge me whatsoever.

Years
  • I still play the games, various hacks and sometime watch the anime.. bw is my favourite of the anime's too, and my parents response 'grow up!' 'do something more productive with your life' but its normally just a bit of robbing and banter between me and dad ahah

Last edited:

Derpy.H

Derpy - The Ponymon Elite
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2013
    My parents never really minded it. They were all right with it the whole time. And they pretty much knew from almost the beginning, so.. yeah :P

MEGAS

Bestow5000 from YouTube
    Years
  • My mom would say I'm immature, and that Pokemon is satanic stuff, but she doesn't care anymore and still lets me play it anyway. But for my dad, he could say I'm still like a little kid and haven't grow up yet. -_-

Years
  • My parents have always known I like Pokemon, so they don't mind that I still like it or just finds it a bit amusing in a good way haha. So far haven't had any "you're too old for that!" conversations~ and let's hope there won't be them in the future either :')

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    My mom thinks it's kinda funny, and I do, too. She still gets excited for me when I'm excited about something, even when she doesn't understand it. We have a pretty boss relationship when it comes to the stuff that makes me happy. B]

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I don't think my parents know I still play Pokemon. That's certainly one of the advantages of not living with them any more... but I think that they think that I grew out of it after Gen III, and as I haven't told them about it since, there's no real reason to suspect that they knew I'd still play. If they did find out in some freak turn of events, I can't imagine their reaction being anything more than "Oh, you still play that? OK then..." They're kinda cool like that. If I still watched the anime, on the other hand, and they found out, there'd probably be some mild disapproval. Whenever I come and visit them and stick on SpongeBob SquarePants, they do look at me with mild amusement, before they end up laughing at SpongeBob et al. :D

Back