• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your preferred PC/laptop brand, and why?

MEGAS

Bestow5000 from YouTube
    Years
    Title says it. We all know that there are different brands like HP, Dell, ASUS, Vaio, Toshiba, Acer, etc etc for different kinds of laptops and PC. But why do you prefer best? And why?

For me, I personally prefer Alienware. I'm a gamer, and Alienware suits me best, plus, their design looks sick.

Years
    For laptops, it would have to be Apple. In terms of the other brands, I don't really feel any sort of loyalty to one or the other. If I bought a non-Apple Notebook, it would be either a Asus, Acer or Samsung ultrabook. High-end, I would probably go with Clevo.

For PCs, I build my own. Equally a fan of Gigabyte/Asus/ASRock Motherboards.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I prefer Toshiba myself for laptops and custom builds for desktops, but I honestly don't really use a desktop at all anymore. I prefer Toshiba because I've had four now and never had one do me wrong... they're nicely priced with enough features and easily removable bloatware. Good stuff... gotta love it.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    My preference, as evidenced by my signature, is Apple. honestly it's because if the simplicity and the fact that mac is by far the easiest OS I've tried working with. and that Apple hardware is really nice and reliable (in my experience, ymmv)

Anymore, if you want a windows, I usually recommend Asus or Toshiba Laptops or a custom built tower. (iI usually refer my brother in if someone wants a custom build, he build them, I just maintain them)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    My preference for desktop is custom builds. I didn't build my desktop myself but I've replaced enough in it since I got it that I may as well have. (And it wasn't a big brand or anything--I got it from a chain of stores here that pretty much makes their own builds in-store and sells them.)

But for laptops, now that I've been using a Mac since January, I can't imagine not having gestures on a notebook. I don't even like OSX much at all, but gestures make everything so easy.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I don't really have a preference on laptop brands, as I tend to aim for something that fits me just right.

As for desktops? I have custom-built boxes, but the one that I am using right now seems to have a bad case of stability issues. I think the next one is going to be a brand-name. (might also have something to do with the clunky look)

xdom

Jaguar Skills
    Years
    my Laptop is viao from 2003 runs better then any laptop you buy today thats under 600$

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    It seems a lot of people have a similar mentality to me when it comes to choosing computer brands. For a laptop, my favourite brand is Apple. I've owned and used a Macbook Pro for a year before I had to sell it and it probably the best computer I've used hands down. I enjoyed everything about it - especially the Mac OS. I did not realise how feature packed, and easy to use, it was.

As for a desktop - custom build wins, hands down. I've built two custom computer and apart from the fact that they're cheap, nothing compares to knowing which components are in your computer. Plus, I enjoy putting computers together so it's a win-win situation in my eyes.

Years
    I don't favour any particular brand or another as they are all as good as one another. I've had many different kinds of PCs and laptops over the years and all have done its job and have worked fine for me.

Years
    Desktops? Built by yourself (hopefully I can build one sometime this or next year)
    Laptop? IDK.. you can't build those lol

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I sincerely doubt that.

The old Vaios were good laptops, I'll give you that, but there's no way it runs better than the $600 range of today.

Me too, and I can count on one hand the amount of modern software that can run properly on ancient computers trying to run under a recent OS. Sometimes things just get left behind, even when you get the best that you can get.

Heck, even a $600 laptop these days would outperform them by several times.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    The only types of desktops I've ever used are iMacs, HP TouchSmart, and some Dell computers here and there at school as well as my old Dell computer I used to have back in 2006-2010 before I got my laptop. Out of the bunch, I vastly prefer the iMac, but I'm content with the HP. Dell sucks.

And I prefer my MacBook Pro to any laptop (and desktop) I've ever used.

Years
    Me too, and I can count on one hand the amount of modern software that can run properly on ancient computers trying to run under a recent OS. Sometimes things just get left behind, even when you get the best that you can get.

Heck, even a $600 laptop these days would outperform them by several times.

A laptop of that age is sporting either a Pentium M or Pentium 4. Either one of these is around single-core Atom performance with less and slower memory, a slower HDD and no hyperthreading for multitasking. An Atom-based netbook will set you back about $200-250US if you try. $600 will nab you an i5 with 4GB memory, with an OS that's not from the stone age. Raw CPU grunt is 4-9x faster in multithreaded loads. Still 3 or 4 times the performance for single threaded loads (real world usage is somewhere in between).

Anyway, back on topic. They don't make PCs, per se, but I'm a massive fan of Corsair. My Case, memory, SSD, PSU, cooler and flash drive are Corsair. Next generation, I'll look at Corsair keyboards and mice - don't know about headphones, though.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    As much as I love my MacBook, I can't actually imagine using an Apple desktop. The biggest exposure I've had to them has been fiddling around and trying to check Facebook in the Apple Store. I'm sure I'd eventually get used to it - and eventually love it as much as my laptop - but it'd be a shock, to be sure. If I had a gun to my head and was forced to pick my actual favourite PC brand, I'd have to go with Dell, due to the fact that out of the many desktops I've used, it's lasted the longest without breaking down.

Years
    Well it depends on what I'm using the computer for. If it's something graphical and I'd be using photoshop/illustrator/inDesign I'd probably go with a mac computer. I'm so use to using them on mac desktops I'm completely lost with when I'm working on a regular PC. Plus I prefer how the mac versions uses multiple windows so I can weave apps like fontbook inbetween them.
    However if I'm just using it for day to day use say for just using the internet or playing a game I'd have to go with either HP or a Dell laptop. HP because I've never really had a problem using them and Dell because, like CatDog said it's the only laptop that I've had that hasn't broken down in the first two years.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Title says it. We all know that there are different brands like HP, Dell, ASUS, Vaio, Toshiba, Acer, etc etc for different kinds of laptops and PC. But why do you prefer best? And why?

For me, I personally prefer Alienware. I'm a gamer, and Alienware suits me best, plus, their design looks sick.

Just so you know, Alienware=Dell. Dell bought AW, but kept using the AW name for a time. They have recently started branding AW computers with both brands though.

I dislike Dells though, mainly because of the BS proprietary hardware. I'll admit that I love the cases though. Dell cases are beautifully designed.

I mainly use HP. The HP's I've used have lasted a long time. My first HP lasted 5 years before I spilt water on it and blew it up, and my second lasted 4 years before I fried the processor. (First was a accident, 2nd was just plain idiocy on my part.) I'm on my 3rd HP now, 1 1/2 years so far and still running good. I'm hoping that I don't destroy this one for a few more years.

Basically, accidents and idiocy aside, HP's last for a long time. Thats the main reason why I like them.

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
    For me It has to be my gateway. :) Its the best laptop I've had so far. Desktop I have to say HP. I use them I'm in my Network Support Classes and they are really wonderful to to use.

MEGAS

Bestow5000 from YouTube
    Years
    Just so you know, Alienware=Dell. Dell bought AW, but kept using the AW name for a time. They have recently started branding AW computers with both brands though.

I dislike Dells though, mainly because of the BS proprietary hardware. I'll admit that I love the cases though. Dell cases are beautifully designed.

I mainly use HP. The HP's I've used have lasted a long time. My first HP lasted 5 years before I spilt water on it and blew it up, and my second lasted 4 years before I fried the processor. (First was a accident, 2nd was just plain idiocy on my part.) I'm on my 3rd HP now, 1 1/2 years so far and still running good. I'm hoping that I don't destroy this one for a few more years.

Basically, accidents and idiocy aside, HP's last for a long time. Thats the main reason why I like them.

Yeah, I know Alienware is from Dell. But I like to treat it as another brand. I dislike Dell, but I do like Alienware.

Back