• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your preferred Pokemon game abbreviations?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • So what are some ways you choose to shorten the names or games or generations of games? And this applies to anything in the franchise and not just main series games.

As for me, the general rule is that all original games is just only the first letter of each game and remakes it's two letters, first of each word in the title. So for example the gen7 games are always SM and the gen9 games are always SV. And I know the official abbreviations of the gen8 games are more than 2 letters, but I prefer keeping the trend and going for just SnS. Or even just SS if I think people are gonna know I'm talking about the gen8 titles.

One thing I like to abbreviate things with is if a syllable of one of the words share a letter with a syllable of the other word, I shorten the title to continue from the shared letter in each word. So for example, rumble blast is shortened to rumblast, and indigo disk is shortened to inddisk. Inddisk is probably the shortened title I'm most proud of, for some reason.

So how do you guys shorten some of the Pokemon game titles?

BWZ

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Back when we were waiting for Gold and Silver to release in the west, I remember most of the magazines and gaming shows on TV were referring to them as "Pokémon 2". I called them like that for quite some time, and my friends did too, but it quickly fade off after the games release. Sounds silly nowadays, especially since Pokémon 2 is what you expect to call the 2nd movie and not the games, but it was a real thing

And I'll never call the 3rd generation something else other than ADV. Old habits die hard lol

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Tends to not, other than removing "Pokemon". Cuts down two two-word titles to four letters usually, such as BDSP and ORAS. Rattles off the name otherwise, such as with Diamond / Pearl / Platinum.

Became a little sore about abbreviations/acronyms from school. Overused them for locations and such to the point of being hard to understand. Tried to be sparing with them ever since.

Years
  • I usually use the first letter of each word, but it doesn't always work when they start with the same letter (see: Sword and Shield). SwSh is a great abbrevation though and rolls off the tongue well, so I'm happy with what people chose for those names. There are other times where using the first two letters instead of first one rolls off the tongue better either way too - like SuMo. It's pretty easy to read that way and looks good. :')

I'm really curious about the abbreviations for future games... eventually there will be overlap with abbreviations and using the second letter won't sound good, or some other situation. Always love being part of the community when new game info is just coming out and seeing how the fanbase names it.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I've always just settled for the following:
    RBY, GSC, RSE, FRLG, DPPt, HGSS, BW, B2W2, XY, ORAS, SM, USUM, LGPE, SwSh, SV.

I've never thought beyond a surface level about it, if I'm being honest? If it's something that isn't part of the main series (like you mentioned Rumble Blast) the titles aren't long or confusing enough for me to abbreviate them, I'd just say it as "Pokemon Rumble Blast". If it does have a long title, like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity, I'd just refer to it as the subtitle, "Gates to Infinity". If I'm doing something like writing an article where I'd have to mention its name several times, I think "Gates to Infinity" specifically is long enough for me to justify it as GtI. In terms of the DLC, I'd usually just group them in with the games (I'd still say Pokemon SV to refer to the Indigo Disk) unless I have to clarify to whoever I'm talking to such as "Lacey's in the SV DLC, not the base game".

Back when we were waiting for Gold and Silver to release in the west, I remember most of the magazines and gaming shows on TV were referring to them as "Pokémon 2". I called them like that for quite some time, and my friends did too, but it quickly fade off after the games release. Sounds silly nowadays, especially since Pokémon 2 is what you expect to call the 2nd movie and not the games, but it was a real thing

As someone who's too young to experience the hype for Gold and Silver, the idea of calling it "Pokemon 2" feels almost alien to me, though it makes complete sense...

BWZ

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    As someone who's too young to experience the hype for Gold and Silver, the idea of calling it "Pokemon 2" feels almost alien to me, though it makes complete sense...

If I have to make a guess, I think they called it that way to emphasize the fact that it was really a new game, as opposed to Yellow who was released after the original versions but basically the same game.

Back