• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Your Starter Pokémon?

Years
  • My original White Game, I was all about Oshawott.. I kind of made up my mind about it before the game released. Honestly, not sure why.. at the time, everyone was all about Snivy and Tepig.. and Snivy I think kind of won out the popularity contest in 5th gen. I've always been sort of the kind of guy to go against the grain, so that probably was a big factor of it. I didn't keep it on my team though, I ended up needing to replace it with more effective mons when elite four came around. There just wasn't much a mono-water type could do against that group.

Black 2, I chose the crowd Favorite, Snivy. I didn't keep him in the party by the end either, for much of the same reasons. The sequels did have the advantage of having a ton of mons to pick from, so getting through the entirety of the game was much less restrictive than it was previously.

Honestly though.. I kind of like Emboar. I'm breeding one for a trickroom team in XY. I'm pretty sure he would work amazing with an assault vest.

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2024
    Ohsawott! I love Osha, every since I first saw it I knew he'd be my starter! Plus Samurott battles quite well ;)
    ~MistressofMightyena~

Years
  • For whatever reason, I didn't particularly like the starters. I love the fire-type starters, but Tepig was just so bleh. So, I went with Oshawott. I liked the little guy and his former evolutions, it just wasn't the same without a bad ass Fire type starter. From what I've noticed with Pokemon Showdown, though. Serperior has a hidden ability that's not yet released, but can be used in random battles which seems pretty awesome. Using Leaf Storm and having it raise your Special Attack instead of lower it. Oh myyyy <3

Keromatsu

Froakie is Awesome!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    I chose Tepig on Pokemon Black, and as usual my sister, chose a starter, which I was weak to, OSHAWOTT! Even though we could not even Wi-Fi Battle.. lol :/

Lihtal

Castle Guard
    Years
  • Oshawott just because of Dewott, nuff said. I didn't like samurott or any other starter from this generation...

Pryze

Straight chillin
    Years
  • Samurott, being my favorite starter, Is a must-have on every gen 5 team I have; so I chose Oshawott.

Years
  • In both White and White 2, I chose Snivy. I don't know why really, because it's not really a great Pokemon. It always fainted whenever I used it. I think I chose it because of how it looked. Turned out that he/she was really weak. All of my other Pokemon on the team had to fight for it all the time. If I were to ever play through the games again, I would definitely choose Oshawott because it seems like the best choice in my opinion.

Years
  • I first chose Tepig. Once I founded out that it evolves into a Fire/Fighting type, I restarted my game. Then I gave Snivy a shot, and he's not really terrible at all.

Just to put it out there though, I don't really hate Fire/Fighting type starters, Blaziken and Infernape are amaze-balls, I use 'em all the time (Emerald and Platinum, respectively) so I decided to switch up the team.

Years
  • I played through Black with Oshawott, and White 2 with Snivy. Of the two, I liked Oshawott better. He was much more of an asset in battle, and I'm part of the minority that doesn't mind Samurott. Nothing against Serperior, who I think was one of the better starter designs to date.

oshimas

소중한 이 내 맘 모두 나 그대에게
    Years
  • i chose snivy. i never chose out to start out with grass types in the other games i've played, but snivy's evolutionary line is just too cute. plus, did i mention i love fast pokemon and snivy is pretty fast. c:

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2014
    Tepig, love fire. Only time I picked a different one is in Platinum when I picked Turtwig

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I chose them in the order of Oshawott, Tepig, and Snivy! Overall, my favorite was Emboar, followed by Samurott then Serperior. If they just had better movepools I would like them a lot more, but Serperior really suffered a lot, haha.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I picked Snivy on White, and Oshawott on White 2. For some reason, I don't pick the fire starters much. xD Although, even if I did go with the fire starters a lot, I still would've picked the remaining instead of Tepig since he doesn't really make an impression to me and I'm not a big fan of Emboar's design. :/

Back