• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Your starter?

Years
  • As a young fellow, I always went for Bulbasaur, trying to be a hipster among my friends who would go weak at the knees for the other two.
    I like each of the three starters equally and really always have but if I had to choose, it would be Bulbasaur. It just has a very special charm to me now for reasons stated above.

Boured

The Guildmaster
    Years
  • I choose bulbasuar because most people I met only choose charmander others choose squirtle so I choose bulbasuar

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2014
    I chose Charmander of course! Almost everybody chose Charmander in my childhood.
    I wanted to choose Bulbasaur because I like nature and Bulbasaur resembles it, But when I went to go to the toilet,
    a friend chose Charmander for me, I just went for it, simply because I was too lazy to start over :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2017
    I almost always used to pick Charmander. Though all the three starters were badass, Charizard is a flying lizard. Almost a dragon! Almost, almost .. =]

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I usually choose either Bulbasaur or Squirtle since I have Moltres for a fire/flying type. So more often than not I chose Bulbasaur because you also get a Lapras eventually. So no real point in having another water type.

Years
  • I always choose Charmander, knew from the beginning was cool evolutions and also I always liked the Fire (I'm a pyromaniac) (?)
    (I repeat, excuse my english lol)
    Greetings!

Years
  • Hmm. In Yellow I of course had Pikachu. Blue, I went with Bulbasaur, and Red I believe I went with Squirtle. Of course, I might've gotten those backwards. I don't think I used Charizard til gen 3.

Years
  • In my first game I started with Squirtle. I always loved water pokemon, in the different versions I've always chosen the water pokemons as my starter. :)

AJ24

Squirtle da GOAT starter
    Years
  • I picked Charmander because i liked Charizard but after the first playthrough i picked Squirtle, a few times i'll let him evolve since i like him as Squirtle, Wartortle & Blastoise but most of the time i left as Squirtle the entire way through. I wanna try the newer games to see if i could have all of em at once lol

But it really never mattered since once the anime came on, i'd catch Pikachu and make him my starter while making Squirtle/Charmander my secondary starter lol

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
  • It was always a tie between Charmander and Squirtle for me. I liked them both equally, so I probably used them the same amount of times, or close to it.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    Charmander; because I have this unconscious feeling that the fire type should be the strongest of all elements and so on... And Charmander becomes an awesome "dragon"!

But it has been proved that Squirtle is the best Pokemon for Gen 1, so I may try it next time!

Years
  • Initially in Red I went with Bulbasaur. Once I completed the game I tried out Charmander as well. In terms of which one I enjoyed better, I'd say Bulbasaur, but the power that Charizars brought to my team made the game much easier. Interestingly enough, I've never played through Kanto with Squirtle. I like his design; just haven't done it. Go figure!

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Easily Charmander in every single playthrough aside from Yellow.

I've got a soft spot for reptilian/amphibian creatures, as well as a love of Fire-type Pokemon.

Though it's very possible that Charmander itself is the exact reason I have that love to this day. It may have been the one who started it all. <3

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I picked Squirtle. Blastoise was the first Pokémon I saw (a friend had a plush-type thing), and I learned that Squirtle evolved into Blastoise, so I picked it. Blastoise is still my favorite Pokémon to this day, and I pretty much always pick Squirtle when I have the chance.

Back