• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your thoughts on Shinies?

Do You Like Shinies??

• LOVE THEM

Votes: 57 65.5%
  • Nope

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I dont care for them.

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

Kudra

IV breeder
Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2013
    I think they're a cool idea and add something to the game for collectors. They used to excite me when I was a kid playing gold and silver. I used to get bored sometimes and try to hunt for one that I wanted, but I've moved on to the metagame since then. I'd take a pokemon with good IVs/nature ect. over a shiny any day, but they are still fun to find.

I see way too many people obsessing over them now today, scouring the trade forums trying to find a shiny they don't have. They're different colors and make a special effect when they come out, but other than that are no different than any other pokemon. Shinies really don't mean anything to me unless I get them myself.

My random encounter Shinies:
    ekans in silver
    zubat in gold (original gold/silver)
    chinchou in ruby (hatched a random egg, put it in my PC, realized it was shiny a month later)
    Nidorino in FR safari zone (ran away)
    Rhyhorn in FR safari zone (ran away on me too, that place is evil)
    Gastly in LG
    Dratini in FR (15 min SRing at the game corner FTW)
    Azuril in Diamond safari zone

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Most shinies are significantly uglier than their normal-colored counterparts. So yeah, I don't particularly care for them. I think the only shiny I've ever encountered was a Manectric while playing around on a Sapphire ROM. XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I've found Beldum, Grimer, Buneary, Ponyta, Meowth, and Swinub and had captured each of them. I raised up Beldum, traded away Grimer and Ponyta to friends, and Meowth, Buneary, and Swinub remain untouched.

Shinies are okay. If one comes my way I'll capture it, but I don't go out of my way or stress out over not finding one. And I have to agree that outside the Beldum line, most shinies are actually worse looking than their regular counterparts.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    The only shiny I caught was a Weedle in my Silver game. It forever sits in a box on Pokemon Stadium 2, forgotten about until I can mention it for small bragging rights. Other than that Weedle, I have never seen another non-story shiny.

Shinies really don't mean much to me. No stat boosts, and most of the shiny forms don't impress me with the color choices. Of course I enjoy the black Charizard and a few others, but most of them are just meh. Even if I do catch another one, it'll probably go the way of shiny Weedle, and sit in a box until I feel like level-grinding a random Pokemon.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I love shineis! They are so cool. I dont care for shinies that much in-game, but I do in GPX+

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Some shinies are it, some are way off it. I don't particulary care, but I'm not complaining if one crops up :)

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years
  • Honestly, I don't like very much shinies because I think it is a underused concept; I mean, they could have used this idea better: why shiny charizard isn't fire/dark with a different moveset and stats; or instead of only color change why not a desing change? Shiny ponita could have black fur and purple pattern on his body and be fire/ghost, or shiny blastoise could be more similiar to wartortle, with the waves things and lighter than a normal blastoise and have water/fighting types...

Anyway the only shini I've caught is a pidgey in pokemon prism, while searcing for ralts...and basically it was just a pidgey, nothing special...

Years
  • I love them, even though I've never caught one... They add this awesome little touch to the game, it gives you something you can look forward to, and when you find one you just feel great about it. Best part is showing them off though, of course, lol. Only thing they could do to make them a bit cooler would maybe be alternate sprites for shinies. Maybe just a different pose or something, but even that would be cool.

PalkiaSpace

Panda Hugger <(^_^)>
    Years
  • Idk, I don't hate them, but I don't particularly like them. I've never found any besides the Gyarados in G/S/C and HG/SS. I did get traded a Shiny Dragonite over the GTS before, and amazingly, it had perfect EVs and was legit. All that for a Regular Jolteon.

Anyway, I suck at chaining. 10 is the most I've ever had...

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years
  • Yeah theyre cool, the only shiny I found (except red gyarados) was waaay back in original Pokemon Gold, while I was training in Mt. Silver, I suddenly came across a silver ponyta :OOO it hought wtf, did something broke or what, and later i found out it was actually a shiny :D
    I never evolved it though, was too afraid it was gonna lose its silver color

P.s. People who cheat to get shinines..darn you, they are just lowering the value of the real shinies D:

Ankoku Flare

Artsy Dragon
    Years
  • I like the fact that it adds more variety to the species in a way. Don't really care about the whole sparkly thing the different color thing is what really intrigues me. Of course I really don't like it that some shines are just a slite shift of hue or the color scheme isn't to my liking.

in 2nd gen gold I've found a shiny growlithe but accidentally fled through impulse and hatched a shiny cleffa

In ruby I caught a shiny carvanha(was aiming for feebas with I never caught in that version), hariyama and a purple wailmer

In emerald Shiny poochyena, seviper, and another shiny wailmer(it's stalking me owo)

After that hadn't had much luck with random encounter shinies and don't really do chaining.

tangvor

Pokemon FTW
    Years
  • I've encountered two that I can remember.
    1. A Shiny Butterfree in a bug catching contest back in Silver. (Didn't help me win the contest :[
    2. Then I encountered a shiny graveler after 140+ hours in Heart Gold. It used self-destruct. FML.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • I'm aware that the stats are no different than a regular Pokemon, but I like them anyway because they look cool and they are rare enough to be considered trophies.

Nugg

Le Diable Blanc
    Years
  • i agree, some shinies ARE nice, but some are just plain HIDEOUS. charizard looks cool whereas mewtwo makes me wanna puke babies.

chickenofunity

Confused Chicken
    Years
  • I'd like a shiny, but just so I can say 'I have a shiny'. I would'nt cheat to get them, and while I really like normal Gorebyss, I think It's shiny is very ugly indeed.
    Only shiny I've ever was was Shiny Zapdos in Firered, but then I did'nt even realise it was a shiny becuase the colour is'nt that different. It was one of my favourite pokemon for other reasons.
    I do think though that If I got a shiny again, It would'nt leave my party unless it was a pokemon type I don't like.

xSunlightx

♥ Sinnoh's Sweatheart ♥
    Years
  • I think a lot of shiny colors are ugly. Really I don't get why so many turn an ugly green or just cop out and become a shade lighter/darker.

A huge part of me wishs some shiny pokemon get redesigns/colors but that'll never happen lol

There are a few shiny pokemon I have, some I've chained for and others I just got lucky or traded.

PS: Why does every plant pokemon turn just into autumn colors? It's not all that bad...but still...all of them?

TheNewRocketMovement

Nothing suits me like a suit.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2010
    I think shinies are okay, it's always nice to have a novelty Pokemon, however some of the recolours are either terrible or lazy.

Shinies I've had:
    Fire Red: Machop (Forgot I had it and restarted my game)
    Pearl: Zubat
    Heart Gold: Eevee (Recieved from this years VGC)

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
  • It's a running gag with me and my friends that I had a horrible childhood because I never found a single shiny. I hate shinies purely because they seem to hate me. :< But in reality I love them, and Umbreon, Dragonite, and Rapidash are my favorites. Scizor is pretty cool too.

Back