• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your thoughts on using Rare Candies.

Pothus

The Necromancer
    Years
    I've always frowned upon using them, but recently I've had to use them...

Reason being, I like to use Dragonite and for me it's next to impossible to get Dragonoir to level 55 without using them.

So what are YOUR thoughts on using them?

Last edited:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    This is a more general question on the usage of Rare Candies in the game, so I'mma move it to Pokemon Gaming Central.

Moving on up

Kieran_90

That guy that you think you remember
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2015
    I never use them, since it weirdifies the stats.

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
    Years
    I admit, I've used them when the difference between levels is too great between my team, and the Pokemon I want. But overall, I don't like using them, since they make my Pokemon weaker. I'm not sure if feeding vitamins compesates for that though..but it's a lot more satisfying to manually level your Pokemon anyways and seeing them grow.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

As long as you have EV trained it doesn't matter, use them as you please. However in black and white you can use them from the start because you can EV train post level 100.

Years
    In the main game I don't really care about my Pokemon's stats haha. And post game I've got my Lucky Egg, so it's not hard to level up. Thus there is a small collection of Rare Candies rotting in my bag haha.

Years
    I use rare candies to level up Pokemon that are lower than the rest (Like if i have a level 27when the rest are 40) or if a Pokemon has fainted in the league and I am out of revives I feed them a rare candy to give the health to use a potion.

Years
    I rarely ever EV train my Pokemon, so I've never had a problem using Rare Candies once and a while. Even then, I still only use them if a Pokemon is under-leveled compared to the rest of my team, or they are one or two levels away from learning a move that I've been waiting for.

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    I gather all the rare candy in the game, and use them when I've beaten the 8th gym leader, to boost my Pokemon before the League. I've never EV trained my Pokemon (I don't even know what that is xD )

Inferna

hello stranger, i'm a disaster
    Years
    I use them sometimes, I like evolving my starter pokemon into their final stage with them. They're handy while nuzlocking, especially if you're under levelled.
    I remember the days of unlimited rare candies in gold using my cheat cartridge. somehow ran out of money and remember selling them so I could get a Porygon from the game corner xD took ages and they eventually ran out lol

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
    Years
    I really hope Rare Candies don't expire, otherwise my bag would stink. The only time I really use Rare Candies is during a Nuzlocke to buff my Pokemon up that tiny bit before the E4.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
    Usually not.

I keep them to see how many were placed throughout the game, and in BW2 I think it was even something weirdly high like 20, instead of about a dozen.

I remember at least one case where I used one in the E4 because I didn't bother getting any Revives before entering and some crucial pokemon died xD

I never use them, since it weirdifies the stats.

I don't like using them, since they make my Pokemon weaker. I'm not sure if feeding vitamins compesates for that though..but it's a lot more satisfying to manually level your Pokemon anyways and seeing them grow.

Rare Candies do NOTHING, except raise your exp to the next level.

Your pokemon don't get weaker and their stats are not affected in any way.

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2013
    Indifferent.

I say this because I used to spam a crapload of rare candies on my Pokemon back when I originally played Gen III, and I thought that was the right thing to do at the time. >>; It's kinda embarrassing, my logic was "why bother train when you have rare candies to do the training for you?" It was then that I horribly lost to my friend via a linked cable battle(f yea, those were the times. xD), that I realized that rare candies probably weren't such a good idea after all...

But with that aside, I don't hold it against anyone if they decide to use rare candies on their Pokemon, as long as they realize the consequences(might be using this loosely) of doing so.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I mostly use Rare Candies if I catch legendary Pokémon that I'm planning to use in my team because most legends are on lower levels than the rest of my team.
    I'm not against using them but collecting them is also fun :D

Years
    I don't use Rare Candies much, I love grinding like a madman to get my Pokemon trained.

I only save my Rare Candies for emergencies, like if I have a Pokemon that's struggling to keep up with the rest of my team.

Back